KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude! I totally feel you on that one. I have often wondered if it is bad to tell those people to go to their other school...

Just because you tell them to go to the other school does not mean that you will not encounter them in the future. As physicians, we will always come in contact with each other and peoples talents stand out, not the school they went to. A smart person can go to a dumb school, and still be a good physician while a not-so-smart can go to harvard medical school and be a terrible physician.

Sorry if my post was not right, please forgive me.

Members don't see this ad.

Just because you tell them to go to the other school does not mean that you will not encounter them in the future. As physicians, we will always come in contact with each other and peoples talents stand out, not the school they went to. A smart person can go to a dumb school, and still be a good physician while a not-so-smart can go to harvard medical school and be a terrible physician.

Sorry if my post was not right, please forgive me.

I think you are misinterpreting what we are saying. I have an issue with people who pop onto a thread all about "X" school and say, what's so great about this place or why should I go here? Convince me! Even though I'm 51% in favor of another school and 49% in favor of this one... It's an odd request, because I can speak for myself that I honestly don't care where that person ends up. S/He is going to start medical somewhere and if they can't grow up and start searching for their own reasons to like or not like a place then they are going about one of the largest decision in their life in a fairly poor manner. This whole thread is dedicated to KCUMB and has a wealth of information about the school, what is good/bad and why we want to go there. These people think that we should keep rehashing the information over and over again when it's in this thread already (you don't even need to do a search! You just go to page 1)! That's the issue. If it was something novel or someone had a question about something specific, nobody would likely mind responding, but a general "Tell me why I should choose this school, even though I'm fairly convinced that I'm going somewhere else..." kind of questions are what annoy me.

To be honest though, I don't even remember who posted it, or if it was your post that I was referring to. So, that should give you an idea about how much I care. ;)

I think you are missing the point. It isn't the act, it is the method. I've helped out several people who have sent me a personal message who have taken the time to search a few things out and personalize the message around a particular topic (for example somebody noticed I was conflicted between X school and Y school, so they asked specifically about that). I have a beef with the persistent, poorly spelled, mass, generalized messages I get from people who haven't taken the time to see if I even applied to the other school or if I have even have any insight on the topic of question.

Ahhh, yes I see now, and can completely understand your reasoning. I don't necessarily feel the same way, but we're all wired and programmed differently. But seeing your perspective, I can see why that would bother you so much. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, well....atleast Moose and now Dreams get it. Don't take it too seriously, its just more for kicks and controversy because I am not in school and don't know what to do with myself. I don't lose sleep or rage over the fact that I get a couple of these things a month, I'm more of a commentator on SDN phenomenon than anything else. :)

Haven't check out this thread in a while. Where are you guys planning to live at KC in Century Towers or at one of those lofts nearby. I can't decide if I want to live near campus or in a neighborhood 15 minutes away. Sometimes it's good to have a break from school in a nicer neighborhood but living across the street from campus is very convenient.

It seems like most people are living in CT or lofts downtown/river market area. Personally, I am thinking of buying a house and trying to find a couple people that want to live with me in a house. There are some good neighborhoods ~10 minutes from KCUMB. I might be fixing it up all summer, but I need something to do.

It seems like most people are living in CT or lofts downtown/river market area. Personally, I am thinking of buying a house and trying to find a couple people that want to live with me in a house. There are some good neighborhoods ~10 minutes from KCUMB. I might be fixing it up all summer, but I need something to do.

This is a good idea. I was thinking of doing something similar. Then you could turn it into a rental property when you do rotations and/or move.

Question: Is there a dress code at KCUMB? I can't remember, but I thought it was either business casual or scrubs.....

Anyone have an answer for this?

Hey NerdAlert, are you fairly familiar with the KC area? My fiance and I are trying to figure out what to do housing-wise when we move out there this summer. We owned a home, which we just sold, and ideally need to be in another house in KC, since we have two german shepherds. A loft/apt would be convenient, but I think our dogs would hate us. So, I'm not quite sure how to best go about looking for places....we plan to visit KC for a few days in march to check out the area before moving out in june/july.

Where are you thinking of buying, or where would you recommend checking out? I was looking through that renters guide they gave us on interview day, but its mostly apts/lofts that exclude large dogs -- and if they do allow big pups, there are usually restrictions against "condemned" breeds like shepherds, ug :)

Hey NerdAlert, are you fairly familiar with the KC area? My fiance and I are trying to figure out what to do housing-wise when we move out there this summer. We owned a home, which we just sold, and ideally need to be in another house in KC, since we have two german shepherds. A loft/apt would be convenient, but I think our dogs would hate us. So, I'm not quite sure how to best go about looking for places....we plan to visit KC for a few days in march to check out the area before moving out in june/july.

Where are you thinking of buying, or where would you recommend checking out? I was looking through that renters guide they gave us on interview day, but its mostly apts/lofts that exclude large dogs -- and if they do allow big pups, there are usually restrictions against "condemned" breeds like shepherds, ug :)
Yeah I grew up in KC. I know absolutely nothing of the neighborhoods that are north of the river, but I know a couple good neighborhoods around downtown and further south. PM me and if you sweet talk me maybe I'll give you my secret spots haha.

I'm also still trying to figure out the financing side of buying a house so I haven't actually looked at any houses, just driven around a few neighborhoods. I wish we would get out financial aid and tuition info sooner. When I called last week they said that our tuition wasn't even set for next year yet.

Yeah I grew up in KC. I know absolutely nothing of the neighborhoods that are north of the river, but I know a couple good neighborhoods around downtown and further south. PM me and if you sweet talk me maybe I'll give you my secret spots haha.

I'm also still trying to figure out the financing side of buying a house so I haven't actually looked at any houses, just driven around a few neighborhoods. I wish we would get out financial aid and tuition info sooner. When I called last week they said that our tuition wasn't even set for next year yet.

It's my understanding that you will want to use this years income for your mortgage application, without making them aware that you are going to be a student for the next 4 years living off of financial aid. This is just my understanding, but I would think lenders would be hesitant about financing someone without a job or annual income.

I was thinking of maybe buying a 1 bedroom condo in one of the buildings in the downtown area. But I don't know if it will be worth it since I may end up doing rotations all over the place.

Anyways I emailed a couple of rental companies and you can get some nice looking 1 bedroom rentals for around $950 a month. Is this the going rate for a nice 1 bedroom in a downtown high rise or loft?

I live in Chicago so rent is a lot more expensive here.

Sorry you just got unlucky, Dr. Dougherty is just a mean and bitter old man. He is a horrible teacher and his questions are tests are absurdly way to hard. Sorry about that experience.

Really? I was wondering if he just pushed me to see how I would react. I thought he would have had to been a good actor though, because he genuinely seemed to dislike me as an applicant, ha.

I was rejected by KCUMB, as I was rejected by every other school. Since I have to take Genetics and Biochemistry anyway, I'm just going to take them online as grad level classes. That should strengthen my application for next year considerably, assuming I ace the classes... which I WILL, haha. I just wish I would have known sooner, so I could be taking them now and have my grades in before I apply. Instead, I'm going to get my applications in, take the classes during the summer, and then I should at least know my grades before my interviews.

Does anybody know, will KCUMB admissions give you feedback on why you were not accepted? I sent an email asking over a week ago, but have not heard back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of maybe buying a 1 bedroom condo in one of the buildings in the downtown area. But I don't know if it will be worth it since I may end up doing rotations all over the place.

Anyways I emailed a couple of rental companies and you can get some nice looking 1 bedroom rentals for around $950 a month. Is this the going rate for a nice 1 bedroom in a downtown high rise or loft?

I live in Chicago so rent is a lot more expensive here.

I'm not sure what the going rate is in KC, but I think you can get a nice River Front Apartment for ~$850-950. Someone posted one a while back, but I'm not sure if it was on FB or on SDN... I'll see if I can dig up the link and post it later. It was a really nice looking place and close to downtown, school, and the market (farmer's market type places from my understanding).

Really? I was wondering if he just pushed me to see how I would react. I thought he would have had to been a good actor though, because he genuinely seemed to dislike me as an applicant, ha.

I was rejected by KCUMB, as I was rejected by every other school. Since I have to take Genetics and Biochemistry anyway, I'm just going to take them online as grad level classes. That should strengthen my application for next year considerably, assuming I ace the classes... which I WILL, haha. I just wish I would have known sooner, so I could be taking them now and have my grades in before I apply. Instead, I'm going to get my applications in, take the classes during the summer, and then I should at least know my grades before my interviews.

Does anybody know, will KCUMB admissions give you feedback on why you were not accepted? I sent an email asking over a week ago, but have not heard back.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection/s. This sounds like it was a tough year for you. Last year was the same way for me, then this year it seems like I have choices. The med school game is more of an act at perseverance than anything else. Just keep at it and you will have much more success next year. ;)

I'm not sure if KCUMB offers any type of feedback, but it would be worth a call as well, in addition to the email you sent. If you want, you can PM more details about your application and I would be more than happy to offer suggestions.

One thing I would recommend though, if your UG gpa is on the lower side, is to take your Biochem and Genetics course as an UG not as a graduate student, this way the classes will be easier for schools to compare on relative difficulty and they will be able to help boost your UG GPA a bit prior to your next application.

Best of luck.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection/s. This sounds like it was a tough year for you. Last year was the same way for me, then this year it seems like I have choices. The med school game is more of an act at perseverance than anything else. Just keep at it and you will have much more success next year. ;)

I'm not sure if KCUMB offers any type of feedback, but it would be worth a call as well, in addition to the email you sent. If you want, you can PM more details about your application and I would be more than happy to offer suggestions.

One thing I would recommend though, if your UG gpa is on the lower side, is to take your Biochem and Genetics course as an UG not as a graduate student, this way the classes will be easier for schools to compare on relative difficulty and they will be able to help boost your UG GPA a bit prior to your next application.

Best of luck.

Did you do anything to improve your application from last year?

Here's the thing with my academic work: My GPA is now a 3.0, so it is definitely on the lower side. However, all of my science prereq's were taken last year which I aced - so I have 2 full-time semesters with a 4.0 and my overall science GPA is like a 3.9. But this last year was taken at the only college within an hour of where I live - which is a community college.

Dr. Dougherty focused on how these were 100 and 200 level courses at a JuCo, which to him means they should be cakewalks and don't compare to 400 or 500 level courses. Now, I know the upper levels are supposed to be more advanced stuff, but it never really seemed to me that they were any harder to get a good grade in. In fact, I would say the 200 level Organic Chemistry courses I just took was definitely as hard and harder than some of the 400 level courses I took my first time through college. But I could just be remembering wrong since those 400 level courses were 9 years ago.

So yeah, it seems to me that a higher course number isn't any more impressive, but to some people I'm sure it is. I see it like this: at this point, 6 more hours are not going to make much of a dent in my UG GPA (an additional 30 hours of all A's only brought it from a 2.8 to a 3.0). And the grad school courses may actually be harder than taking them as UG from UC Berkley (online) - which would be a good thing because harder courses will better prepare me for med school (if anybody ever does let me in).

has anyone who interviewed last tuesday (2/15) heard anything yet? I am terrible at waiting.

Nope, not a peep! HOPING this week but realistically thinking early next week.

It's currently spring break for KCUMB however I'm not sure what implications this has on the administration/admissions folks. They may be out of the office as well.

I called today to check on my status and they said they do not do interview status over the phone. Hope that is not indicative of bad news :-(

I called today to check on my status and they said they do not do interview status over the phone. Hope that is not indicative of bad news :-(

They switched their policy to mail only decisions earlier in the season, because I'm sure they were bombarded with phone calls, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Good luck!

Accepted! Dad called me while I was (still am) at work!!!!!!

Congrats! No news down in New Orleans. I'm going to blame it on Mardi Gras...

I too have been looking into housing options. CT is def nice for conveniance but a larger and nicer space are also tempting. I have come across lofts in downtown from 800-1000 many without utilities. Also, condos seemed to be decently priced, but iffy not knowing where we will be for years 3/4

A great read from '09 on health care rationing: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/magazine/19healthcare-t.html?_r=1

I support it. As an EMT I bear direct witness to how medicare pays outrageously for everything for elderly people. Round trips to dialysis facilities, silly fall responses, ambulance rides to doctor visits for completely capable people, etc. With the population growing older and older this system simply can't survive.

Hello friends. Could someone help me by posting the secondary questions or pm them to me? I have trouble finding them. Much thanks!

A great read from '09 on health care rationing: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/magazine/19healthcare-t.html?_r=1

I support it. As an EMT I bear direct witness to how medicare pays outrageously for everything for elderly people. Round trips to dialysis facilities, silly fall responses, ambulance rides to doctor visits for completely capable people, etc. With the population growing older and older this system simply can't survive.

Thanks for posting the article. I thought it was very interesting and definitely in line with some of my views on health care, however, I think you run a very slippery slope when you give the government full control over what is and what isn't covered. I do like the alternative of NOT being taxed if you CHOOSE not to participate in the government coverage plan (Such as the case in Australia).

I think the problems run much deeper than these types of cost restrictions and band-aids that we try to paste over the system of health management. I am a capitalist at heart, and feel that if we were to switch to a more pay for service plan that covered what we needed, then we could significantly reduce costs, and the burden on the nation as a whole. there would need to be other implements in place, such as catastrophic coverage w/ possible rationing of care, but overall, it is up to the individual to pay for the service.

Some great examples of what pay for service can do to costs, of even the most expensive of procedures, using the most high tech equipment, is through elective procedures such as Lasik or plastic surgery. These industries of elective medical coverage have to be on the cutting edge of technology in order to COMPETE for their business, but yet you pay substantially less for these procedures than you do for a basic Colonoscopy, which is somewhat ridiculous when you think about it. This is another reason why I call "Bull****" when people say our costs are so high and increasing by such large margins as a result of increasing technology and equipment. The real reason is because you have detached the patient from their cost of service and are engaging in a third party payer system that removes any comprehension of cost from the individual seeking the care.

Last edited:
MusicMan,

you probably need to do your own research on these styles if they are unfamiliar to you but Ill give you a VERY brief synopsis. Essentially, baroque music (or more commonly baroque pop) is chamber rock of sorts. It incorporates classical instrumentation like string sections into rock music. And I suppose it is rather difficult to explain how indie music sounds since its more of an execution rather than a styling. Basically, I write pop songs on guitar or piano, compose string sections for them or any other classical instrumentation I see fit, layer with synths and other digital sounds and top it off with lots of harmonies. Ya dig?

MusicMan,

you probably need to do your own research on these styles if they are unfamiliar to you but Ill give you a VERY brief synopsis. Essentially, baroque music (or more commonly baroque pop) is chamber rock of sorts. It incorporates classical instrumentation like string sections into rock music. And I suppose it is rather difficult to explain how indie music sounds since its more of an execution rather than a styling. Basically, I write pop songs on guitar or piano, compose string sections for them or any other classical instrumentation I see fit, layer with synths and other digital sounds and top it off with lots of harmonies. Ya dig?

I am quite familiar with each style on its own but was having a hard time seeing how they could fit together. So, what I'm getting is that this is more a New Age thing?

Hey interviewed on that date 2-14and just got the mail and got accepted. Check your mail.

Last edited:
Musicman,

Yes it is New Age. At the risk of sounding trite, the Arcade Fire is currently creating sounds that could be stuffed into this category at times. However, no single sound could define it I suppose. Kind of like how the Beatles can't sufficiently be classified in any given category at any given time. Not that I am comparing my music to the Beatles :)

Musicman,

Yes it is New Age. At the risk of sounding trite, the Arcade Fire is currently creating sounds that could be stuffed into this category at times. However, no single sound could define it I suppose. Kind of like how the Beatles can't sufficiently be classified in any given category at any given time. Not that I am comparing my music to the Beatles :)

Hey WW, you could just throw up a link and wow the pants off from them. Just sayin.

Lady Grey, Ill take that as a compliment. Nice to talk to you on SDN for a change! Have you been creepin my facebook links to my bands page? hahahaha I sure hope so!

new libs and activity/work out center= top of the line

Lady Grey, Ill take that as a compliment. Nice to talk to you on SDN for a change! Have you been creepin my facebook links to my bands page? hahahaha I sure hope so!

Sure have. To be more of a creeper, I've actually downloaded it and added it to my ipod, it's definitely worth listening to. Your talent continues to amaze me.

Was accepted 2-26-11. Trying to decided between this school and KCOM. I loved the school at the visit and was really excited about it, until I read some of the negative posts about it over the last four years. :confused:

Was accepted 2-26-11. Trying to decided between this school and KCOM. I loved the school at the visit and was really excited about it, until I read some of the negative posts about it over the last four years. :confused:

What are these negative points you're talking about? Depending on what you're concerned about, it could be specific to the person that wrote that post on SDN.

What are these negative points you're talking about? Depending on what you're concerned about, it could be specific to the person that wrote that post on SDN.

Indeed...one very. specific. person. (who's notorious for having 99% of the negative postings toward KCUMB on this board)

Last edited:

All I can tell you is that I've heard so many ridiculously awesome things about KCUMB from many people, including two of the residents at the hospital I work at that went there as well as the DO I work for and my DO mentor, both award-winning osteopathic physicians. Yes, not everyone is going to have a great experience in Med school. Some people (this is one particular post I read) will not do so well on the COMLEX or get into their fantasy residency... and they will blame the school. And it could very well be the fault of KCUMB; I can't make a first-person judgement yet... but the moral of the story is look at everything that's said without putting more emphasis on the negatives (as is human nature, I understand).

In any case, like I said, I've heard great things about the school, and I hope you are able to experience them first-hand this fall. Good luck in your decision. :)

Just read this post---and others about the housing options--- I have been in KC my whole life, and would be willing to offer as much help as I can to anyone with specific questions about areas, distances/travel etc.
I feel your pain on the dog breed situation! My husband and I have three Old English Sheepdogs that forced us into buying a little while back.

do you guys mind sharing ur stats those that have been accepted. My GPA is 3.7, science is 3.7 as well, but my mcat is low on a retake (24O) (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR). any input would be appreciated

MCAT 30; 8 Physical, 10 Verbal, 12 BIO, Science GPA 3.98 cGPA 3.66 but a 3.8 or better the last 7 semesters.

Major: Cell and Molecular Bio

Talked to 5 fourth year students who are getting ready for residency. I can send anyone who is curious the conversation.

Im a current 1st year and have a Mastiff, and live in a very dog friendly apartment complex, that takes every dog except for pit bulls. We have a dog park and there is even a lady in the complex who walks my dog in the afternoon and i am able to stay on campus and study without worrying about my dog. She also does pet sitting if you need to go out of town. Maybe when you come down you can check it out ( here is a link) http://www.thecrossingkc.com/ Im from so cal so commuting is not a big deal for me but the drive to campus is about 15 min

Im only familiar with north KC, i will be moving in the summer to a townehome that is also dog friendly. If you like i can send you a message with some apartments and townehomes that i have researched that allow large breed dogs. I am not a native KC'er; I am only familiar with north Kansas city, because thats where i live, and have also found the most apts and townehomes that allow large breed dogs are in the northland

anyway good luck

sorry i meant to quote the above message

Im a current 1st year and have a Mastiff, and live in a very dog friendly apartment complex, that takes every dog except for pit bulls. We have a dog park and there is even a lady in the complex who walks my dog in the afternoon and i am able to stay on campus and study without worrying about my dog. She also does pet sitting if you need to go out of town. Maybe when you come down you can check it out ( here is a link) http://www.thecrossingkc.com/ Im from so cal so commuting is not a big deal for me but the drive to campus is about 15 min

Im only familiar with north KC, i will be moving in the summer to a townehome that is also dog friendly. If you like i can send you a message with some apartments and townehomes that i have researched that allow large breed dogs. I am not a native KC'er; I am only familiar with north Kansas city, because thats where i live, and have also found the most apts and townehomes that allow large breed dogs are in the northland

anyway good luck