KCUMB or NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lolumadbro

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I got into both NOVA and KCUMB and I wanted some opinions on which school I should attend. I live in Florida so NOVA would be close to home, but as far as a better program with better residency match lists, KCUMB wins. I am also very interested in research and I see that NOVA's research is almost non-existent. Any advice? I know there is an older thread on this, but I wanted some new ideas. Thanks.
 
Hey guys,

I got into both NOVA and KCUMB and I wanted some opinions on which school I should attend. I live in Florida so NOVA would be close to home, but as far as a better program with better residency match lists, KCUMB wins. I am also very interested in research and I see that NOVA's research is almost non-existent. Any advice? I know there is an older thread on this, but I wanted some new ideas. Thanks.


They are both good schools, but it sounds like you would be happier with NOVA. I would definitely go there. Match lists don't mean a whole lot. Its pretty much on you to get a good match (board scores, letters, etc). As far as research goes, just find some guys around you who are doing some research and shoot them an email. I'm doing research at a top 10 medical school next year. That is literally all I did.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got accepted to both as well but ultimately chose another school. But if it was between those two, I would have definitely chosen nova. KCUMB is overated and they definitely do an amazing job to sell you at the interview. nova has great rotation spots, beach 24/7, good match list/reputation, and great facilities.
 
I have nothing helpful to add, other than the fact that you'll get an outstanding education at either school. You're experiencing an awesome problem to have.

Congrats.
 
Hey guys,

I got into both NOVA and KCUMB and I wanted some opinions on which school I should attend. I live in Florida so NOVA would be close to home, but as far as a better program with better residency match lists, KCUMB wins. I am also very interested in research and I see that NOVA's research is almost non-existent. Any advice? I know there is an older thread on this, but I wanted some new ideas. Thanks.

Go where you will do best. Dudliness gave me that advice, he had to chose between five schools.

I was accepted at both schools and LECOM this year as well. I chose NSU because I knew I would do better there. I use exercise as a stress reliever and their outdoor pool opens at 6AM. I like the food better in south Florida and I have spent a lot of time down there. My fiancee will be happier in Davie than in KC, though it is a nice city. (I don't know if that situation is a consideration for you). What mattered to me was that the feel of NSU was more my style of learning. There was a greater sense of unity in the classes and it is a lot more casual than KCUMB.

The important questions are:where are you more comfortable, where has the closest support system, and most importantly what is your gut instinct telling you?

DopaDO is right about the research. I am going to try to get something going at the University of Miami since it is relatively close if I can't round something up at NSU.

As far as match lists it's all regional. The match list is better at KCUMB if you want to be in the midwest. It is not stellar though. It's not like anyone has matched Barnes-Jewish IM in St. Louis in the past five years. Where as in the past five years five or six people went Northwestern IM and one went Northwestern Path from NSU. The whole thing is a wash and doesn't matter; you have to nail the boards first before anything else matters.

I will say that NSU has a huge network of great OPTIs and they go toe to toe with Miller students in the Broward County hospitals. KCUMB has good access to UMKC sites and a great alumni base from its age, but I think that only matters if you want to stay in the midwest.

Good luck making your decision.
 
I was accepted to both and chose KCUMB in a hearbeat over Nova. I felt better at KCUMB, it's closer to home, less expensive (tuition and cost of living), and I liked that KCUMB didn't have an undergrad + dental + nursing + pharmacy + etc... and I liked that KCUMB only had the DO and master's programs.

In the end I chose neither (going to KCOM) but just thought I'd give my input.
 
It's simple... you choose.

palm-trees-and-beach-versus-snow-skiing.jpg
 
I was accepted to both and chose KCUMB in a hearbeat over Nova. I felt better at KCUMB, it's closer to home, less expensive (tuition and cost of living), and I liked that KCUMB didn't have an undergrad + dental + nursing + pharmacy + etc... and I liked that KCUMB only had the DO and master's programs.

In the end I chose neither (going to KCOM) but just thought I'd give my input.

Interesting, that's one of the more minor reasons I chose Nova or LECOM-B.

Good luck at KCOM!
 
Interesting, that's one of the more minor reasons I chose Nova or LECOM-B.

Good luck at KCOM!

Thanks a lot! I just felt like being at a school that only has 1 or 2 programs means they will focus their programs, policies, and funds entirely to your benefit and not to build some expansion for the pharm students or to increase the class size for their dental school.

This is obviously a small thing and it wasn't a HUGE factor but was something I considered. And now KCOM is opening a Dental school so there will be DO, DMD (or DDS?), and masters there sooooooo.... oh well.
 
I was accepted to both and chose KCUMB in a hearbeat over Nova. I felt better at KCUMB, it's closer to home, less expensive (tuition and cost of living), and I liked that KCUMB didn't have an undergrad + dental + nursing + pharmacy + etc... and I liked that KCUMB only had the DO and master's programs.

In the end I chose neither (going to KCOM) but just thought I'd give my input.

Interesting, I personally would like the opportunity to be able to talk to non-med students
 
I kind of regret not applying NSU on AACOMAS. I was just about to (I had to find someone to write me a non-science LOR) when I got accepted at one of my top schools. I love Latin America and you can't get any more of it in the US than in south Florida. I'm totally happy with how my application cycle turned out and might have picked AZCOM over NSU anyway, but if I had to do it over again I would apply to NSU just to give it a try.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad