Keck-USC Class of 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll help you bring it back to life :)

I would re-think the whole carpool thing if I were you... Seriously, I was about to share a hotel room with someone at an interview and then I changed my mind.

BOY was that the best decision I EVER made... he was stinky and creepy.

With that in mind, I would say just go by yourself...:laugh:

I sure hope he's not reading this... he's on SDN, you know...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
I'll help you bring it back to life :)

I would re-think the whole carpool thing if I were you... Seriously, I was about to share a hotel room with someone at an interview and then I changed my mind.

BOY was that the best decision I EVER made... he was stinky and creepy.

With that in mind, I would say just go by yourself...:laugh:

I sure hope he's not reading this... he's on SDN, you know...

i know i wouldn't do it at an interview but this is kind of an accepted student reception so how bad could it be? I really need to save some money USC's gonna cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney too!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious why doesn't usc want an updated transcript? do they ever ask for one. it seems kindda wierd that they haven't asked for it yet.

Originally posted by md_hopeful21
I was curious why doesn't usc want an updated transcript? do they ever ask for one. it seems kindda wierd that they haven't asked for it yet.

Overall I have been surprised by how little communication I have received from USC. I got the acceptance letter, a while later the financial aid forms, but that's it.

It would be nice to get some housing information, an academic calendar, a t-shirt...something to show they care, y'know what I mean?

As far as the updated transcript goes, though, I suppose it makes sense for them to wait until the summer, when Senior Spring grades are in and the transcript will show that you actually graduated.

heck u guys r lucky, ucla hasnt even sent us fin aid info yet. all we got was the acceptance letter and a follow-up invitation to the second look. i want fin aid info! :(

Hardly any schools have sent out any of that information yet.

Hey Guys,

I saw the best movie this weekend--Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! I absolutely loved it. Definately go see it. Charlie Kaufman rules.

Norouz1383, welcome! Are you for sure coming to SC next year? I celebrated your screen name last weekend (I'm half Persian).

Originally posted by snowbear
Hey Guys,

I saw the best movie this weekend--Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! I absolutely loved it. Definately go see it. Charlie Kaufman rules.

Norouz1383, welcome! Are you for sure coming to SC next year? I celebrated your screen name last weekend (I'm half Persian).

Yeah that movie was very cool. I recommend it as well especially if you liked Being John Malkovitch.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Yeah that movie was very cool. I recommend it as well especially if you liked Being John Malkovitch.

and Adaptation

and Adaptation

Adaptation and Malkovitch were funnier, this one was a bit more intense especially if you've had a ****ed up relationship in the past. I like dark and twisted movies.

Hey Guys,

I'm actually not sure yet, kindda waitlisted at a bunch of schools, I'm debating between NYU and USC right now, I'd rather goto USC because of location though. And working at county seems like work were your truly helpin people.

Whoa... NYU versus USC? That's a tough call, in my opinion. They're both in prime locations but in different ways. NYU is in such a great place in terms of hanging out and having a good time within walking distance. USC might be better in terms of exposure to a diverse patient population via County Hospital.

One of my friends from college goes to NYU for medschool - she absolutely hates it because in her opinion, the students were very competitive against one another/ lots of gunners. I didn't get that impression at USC.

However, I'm sure it's a great school - definitely comparable to USC in many ways.

But I hope to see you at USC this fall! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by emily69
Whoa... NYU versus USC? That's a tough call, in my opinion. They're both in prime locations but in different ways. NYU is in such a great place in terms of hanging out and having a good time within walking distance. USC might be better in terms of exposure to a diverse patient population via County Hospital.

One of my friends from college goes to NYU for medschool - she absolutely hates it because in her opinion, the students were very competitive against one another/ lots of gunners. I didn't get that impression at USC.

However, I'm sure it's a great school - definitely comparable to USC in many ways.

But I hope to see you at USC this fall! :)

NYU has Bellevue which is sort of like county but for Manhattan. Lots of poor patients and diversity. This is the selling point for USC, but you won't be missing out on that at NYU by any means.

i called the admissions office yesterday... and they said it was a structured day only for the applicants... so its a no on the guests question... bummer...

oh bummer... oh well. I guess mom and dad will have to stay home! See you all there, hopefully!

Thanks for calling Mickerbocker! That sux :( My boyfriend will probably be happy to sleep in though.

See you guys there!

I'm sorry to announce I won't be joining you guys at USC next year. UCSD got back to me today and that's where I'll be going next year. I have to say, in a way, I think USC may be a slightly better fit for me as far as the cirriculum (no 30 hours of lectures per week) and the clinical experience (I really want to help the disadvantaged.) At the same time, money is a huge issue for me and my heart is in Diego.

So it was great talking to everyone on this thread. I wish you all luck at Keck or wherever you end up. Jalby, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Peace.

Alex

good luck at ucsd alexander99...my brother went there, and he seemed to like it a lot! congrats!!:clap:

Originally posted by camstah
good luck at ucsd alexander99...my brother went there, and he seemed to like it a lot! congrats!!:clap:

Thanks. I really hope you get into USC cause I know you're dying to go there. If I could give you my acceptance there, I would. Good luck.

Originally posted by Alexander99
I'm sorry to announce I won't be joining you guys at USC next year. UCSD got back to me today and that's where I'll be going next year. I have to say, in a way, I think USC may be a slightly better fit for me as far as the cirriculum (no 30 hours of lectures per week) and the clinical experience (I really want to help the disadvantaged.) At the same time, money is a huge issue for me and my heart is in Diego.

So it was great talking to everyone on this thread. I wish you all luck at Keck or wherever you end up. Jalby, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Peace.

Alex

Ahh yes, I think I remember you. Maybe. I donno. Asain male??? I forgot the rest. I'm mixing you up with another guy from UCSD I interviewed. Congrats, though. I thought you were a better fit for us than UCSD, too, but you do have a lot of things pulling you there.

Originally posted by Jalby
Ahh yes, I think I remember you. Maybe. I donno. Asain male??? I forgot the rest. I'm mixing you up with another guy from UCSD I interviewed. Congrats, though. I thought you were a better fit for us than UCSD, too, but you do have a lot of things pulling you there.

Thanks a bunch. You are a cool dude. It's my goal to be the Jalby of UCSD. :)

I was pretty set on going to Keck, but I just found out that I'm on the top tier of UMich's waitlist. Does anyone have any thoughts on UMich vs. USC? My boyfriend is in ann arbor for the next 1-2 years, but my family is in LA....

Originally posted by omisoc
I was pretty set on going to Keck, but I just found out that I'm on the top tier of UMich's waitlist. Does anyone have any thoughts on UMich vs. USC? My boyfriend is in ann arbor for the next 1-2 years, but my family is in LA....

you're asking the wrong people for a fair answer - I am pretty sure the concensus will be USC. I didn't apply to UMich, but there's no way Michigan is as cool as LA. Family gives money.

To everyone: I just finalized my choice for USC. There is still an outside chance that I will get off some waitlist (P&S schmooze list), but it is pretty much a sure thing. I am also going to the 2nd looky thingy on the 23rd, so I hope to be meeting a bunch of you there. Anyone going for sure?

I'll definitely be there! :)

What is the day going to be like? Like the schedule? Does anyone remember from last year?

I'll be there for sure! :)
Looking forward to meeting all you guys!

Aww...I'm getting sort of sad that I won't be going to second-look day. Seems like a lot of folks are going. :(

I hope you all have a good time! :)

In other news, I spoke with the financial aid people today and they said packages should be going out in about four weeks (they are behind schedule).

To those of you who just recently made the decision to attend USC next year...Welcome!
:clap:

Originally posted by Eraserhead
oh he interviewed at usc?

Nope. He's one of my former students at UCLA. He was one of the worst students I had ever had (one of those people who didn't help his other lab members doing any of the lab because it didn't affect his grade much) and he got a bad grade in the class and he has been bitter ever since. Remember the "What is the cost of the UC thread" thing??

I just bought my plane tickets yesterday :clap:
Gotta love those Southwest deals. They end April 8th and you gotta buy them 14-day advance, so check it out if you wanna fly.

Patzan, that's cool that you pretty much decided on USC, welcome! I am excited to meet everyone on second look.

Yeah, that cbc guy is hilarious. I was just reading his new thread and I thought it was the same guy--wow, does he have issues! I was cracking up.

Originally posted by Jalby
Nope. He's one of my former students at UCLA. He was one of the worst students I had ever had (one of those people who didn't help his other lab members doing any of the lab because it didn't affect his grade much) and he got a bad grade in the class and he has been bitter ever since. Remember the "What is the cost of the UC thread" thing??

Nope, I don't remember. But yeah he seems like a tool.

I GOT IN!! I GOT IN!! I GOT IN!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations. Now you have a tough choice ahead of you.

"Congratulations. Now you have a tough choice ahead of you"

Thanks Trekkie963 and Jalby...yeah I have a tought choice ahead, but I NEVER thought I would be so lucky to have been accepted to three awesome schools!!:)

I guess financial aid packages are going to really influence me in the decision making process! Well, that and the pull to stay in California for residency because I am from Orange County. We'll see how it plays out!

Any advice?

Originally posted by mrbfour
"Congratulations. Now you have a tough choice ahead of you"

Thanks Trekkie963 and Jalby...yeah I have a tought choice ahead, but I NEVER thought I would be so lucky to have been accepted to three awesome schools!!:)

I guess financial aid packages are going to really influence me in the decision making process! Well, that and the pull to stay in California for residency because I am from Orange County. We'll see how it plays out!

Any advice?

If your biggest desire is to stay in california then it sure does help to go to school in California.

congrats!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Health Science Paper just publish an article talking about the latest rankings. Thought you guys might be interested in the points it mentioned:

Keck went from 43rd in the nation to 32nd in three years.
This past year the overall score went from a 69 to a 71.
Selectivity went from 66th overall in selectivity to 24th overall in selectivity. (number of people who are offered acceptances who actually matriculate)

Anybody see USC medical last night????

Whoa... in only three years from 43 to 32! That's insane speed, man...
Ranking is not the reason why I'm coming to USC but I don't mind... ;)

Congratulations to everyone who just got accepted! I hope to see you all at USC!

That cbc dude (I assume is male) is kind of immature if anything.
I'd say ignore him and the troll will disintegrate...

Sadly, I was waitlisted at Keck. :( Sorry if this has been asked before, does anybody know if USC waitlists a lot of applicants? How is the WL movement usually? What can I do now to help my chances of getting into USC?

it says on the letter that they interviewed nearly 600 applicants. This seems like much more than the previous years... also they said that the alternate list is NOT ranked. What does this mean? Does this mean you will get off the WL earlier if you show more interest from now on?

Didn't see USC Medical... if anyone saw it, how was it?

Originally posted by markus21
it says on the letter that they interviewed nearly 600 applicants. This seems like much more than the previous years... also they said that the alternate list is NOT ranked. What does this mean? Does this mean you will get off the WL earlier if you show more interest from now on?

It is more than previous years:

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 4,656 526 370 160
In-state: 2,924 388 290 131
Out-of-state: 1,732 138 80 29
Women: 2,326 274 192 78
Minorities: 2,490 209 171 72
International: 94 3 3 1

Count me in for 2nd Look Day on the 23rd. Can't wait to meet everyone!

How many of you already live right here in So Cal?

I bought my tickets (what a fiasco! I got double-charged and then I spent two hours on the phone trying to "cut a deal" to get my money back). I will be there for sure. Too bad we can't bring sig others, eh?

i'll be there too... coming up from san diego...

i'll be there too... coming up from san diego...
what specialties did you guys put down on the evite?

I think I put radiology, IM, and FP.