Keck-USC Class of 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I put down surgery, IM, and psychiatry. I'm kind of sorta interested in neurology but I didn't see that choice - I figured IM was the closest (???) But I don't know what I want to specialize in....

Members don't see this ad.

I put Psychiatry, IM, and EM. I am also interested in FP and Peds, but I figure that I know a lot more about those fields than other medical fields and I wanted to see something new. I can't really see myself going into EM, but it is very interesting to me and I would love to see it at County.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hey. For all of you who received the financial aid forms.. have you sent / faxed them in yet?

Do any of you know if you are only using Government aid (FAFSA) and are not planning on using institutional aid, do we need to fill out the parental assets part of the financial aid forms usc sent us?

If anyone knows (calling you students who already attend!!), please respond.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I know of financial aid: close to nothing yet.

I haven't turned in the USC financial aid forms because I am still working on my taxes. So I'll be sending them around 4/15.

How can you be sure that you'll be getting only federal aid via FAFSA? I'd just fill out the parental forms in case federal aid doesn't cover everything. I think there is a limit to the amount of federal loans one can get - which is $138,000 - which unfortunately won't cover all 4 years unless you're only paying for tuition.

It looks like either way, one has to fill the gap with one's own money, parents' money, private loans, outside scholaships, or the USC grants that very few people get.

Unless you're sure you have outside funding I'd send in all the forms. I would think USC financial aid would base its grant giving decisions based on parental assets, too.

I did the FAFSA, but my parents hadn't done their taxes, so it wasn't included. I haven't sent in the USC FA form yet, but will as soon as my dad gets his stuff done. Kinda sucks for me because my parents make good money but consider me independent and have 0 plans for helping me out. My wife has a good job now, but most likely won't be making this much after we move. A+B+C=no money for me, most likely.

I'm planning on only using FAFSA to cover tuition. Isn't the max $38,500? The question is: Does everyone get that no matter what if we need it? If so, USC tuition is less than 38,5. IN theory, there might be ~$2,000, right?

I think I'll have the rest of the non-tuition associated fees covered so that is why I'm worrying about only the fafsa. If that is the case I can't see why usc would need parental asset info... but I don't want to make a mistake!!

I wonder what happens if your parents consider you "independent" but they make good money... does that put you in the same financial aid boat as someone with parents who make close to no money???

Oh and when you're married, I think parental assets count less (or none) but your spouse's assets come into play.

I'd feel bad for any dude who'd marry me now - he'd possibly be stuck paying part of my tuition! Any takers??? jk. I could use some "outside funding"... ;)

Does anyone know when school starts? Orientation? What is it and do we have to go? I know we had this conversation before, but never got an answer that I remember. I have a friend getting married on the 14th and I want to see how hard it will be to make it.

I checked on the website and it said that last year's orientation was a 5-day deal starting on Aug. 11th, and that school started on the 18th. The undergrad classes started the 25th last year. Undergrad classes start on the 23rd this year. Would that mean that orientation is likely the 9-13th and class starts on the 16th?

My class start Aug 12th, so unless they move it a week, you'll prolly start the 10th. And Orientation isn't something that you can miss, so you'll prolly have to fly out on the weekend to get to the wedding.

Did my last interview today for the year. Was pretty fun. She asked me "why should I go here over a school like UCSD or UCSF??" That was a very fun question to ask.

Jalby said:
Did my last interview today for the year. Was pretty fun. She asked me "why should I go here over a school like UCSD or UCSF??" That was a very fun question to ask.
So are you gonna say...Rejection? ;)

Oh and about the ranking, I'm sure USC is improving, but schools in the middle of the ranking tend to fluctuate in positions pretty easily...There was an article about this posted somewhere...

CalBeE said:

Oh and about the ranking, I'm sure USC is improving, but schools in the middle of the ranking tend to fluctuate in positions pretty easily...There was an article about this posted somewhere...

But I think that there are other explanations to why a dramatic increase over 3 years happens as opposed to just chance fluctuation, right? When compared to other schools of similar status, it seems that USC is a school on a much more thought out mission and analysis plan than other schools. USC is being extremely proactive from what I gather.

What exactly do we do on the 23rd? Does anyone who is there/anyone who knows anything want to chime in?

CalBeE said:

My student interviewers was not pleased with my two UC acceptances, he kind of snickered actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
CalBeE said:
Oh and about the ranking, I'm sure USC is improving, but schools in the middle of the ranking tend to fluctuate in positions pretty easily

With all of the good press Keck is getting, and with all of the bad press Geffen is getting, it's okay if you're jealous, I understand ;)

snowbear said:
With all of the good press Keck is getting, and with all of the bad press Geffen is getting, it's okay if you're jealous, I understand ;)
Dang you're soooo smart! ;)

This is gonna sound very girly but what are we supposed to be wearing for second look day? This is a loaded question cause I know I'll only get funky answers...

one of you will surely say:"nothing!"

Sunglasses. That's about it.

On a side note, I got to see a patient with an extremely rare but well known disease today which is absolutely fascinating. Only 200 present a year in the US. I can't say the disease right now b/c it wouldn't be nice to the patient (and violates the laws since you can reasonably figure out who she is) but maybe in a month or so I'll mention the disease.

Is it a disease that someone on this thread has since you said one could reasonable figure out who it is? ;)

emily69 said:
This is gonna sound very girly but what are we supposed to be wearing for second look day? This is a loaded question cause I know I'll only get funky answers...

one of you will surely say:"nothing!"

Hey Emily ;) ,

I am pretty sure that the invitation said business casual.

Can't wait to see everyone there! I am all excited 'cuz I am kinda making a tiny vacation out of it and I get to take two days off work. Yay, short week!

Jalby said:
Sunglasses. That's about it.

On a side note, I got to see a patient with an extremely rare but well known disease today which is absolutely fascinating. Only 200 present a year in the US. I can't say the disease right now b/c it wouldn't be nice to the patient (and violates the laws since you can reasonably figure out who she is) but maybe in a month or so I'll mention the disease.

i'll guess it's creutzfeldt-jakob....i know it's rare, but i'm not sure if it's 200 per year rare.....tell us in a month if we're right with our guesses...

CJD is similar to mad cow disease in terms of symptoms and brain pathophysiology. Could it be mad cow disease since Jalby said it was well-known but rare in the US?

snowbear said:
Hey Emily ;) ,

I am pretty sure that the invitation said business casual.

Can't wait to see everyone there! I am all excited 'cuz I am kinda making a tiny vacation out of it and I get to take two days off work. Yay, short week!

What's everyone thinking of doing in the evening after second look day?

Maybe we could all get together and hang out/get some drinks in LA?!

emily69 said:

After the reception ends I am going to check out the surrounding area to try and get an idea of where I might want to live and then my plane leaves later that night :( That would be really cool though. I am gonna go out the night before the reception with some friends from LA.

Check out Monterrey Hills. I'd also recommend hanging out at the Downtown Standard if you hang out anywhere. That's REAL close and real nice. But you have to be there early and it is very expensive.

emily69 said:

I'm up for that! :)

Jalby said:
Check out Monterrey Hills. I'd also recommend hanging out at the Downtown Standard if you hang out anywhere. That's REAL close and real nice. But you have to be there early and it is very expensive.

I think I know where the Downtown Standard is... I think they have specials where they have super cheap appetizers even though the joint reminds me of an upscale sports bar. I'm not totally sure though.

I'll have a car which seats 4 other full-sized people so I can drive!

emily69 said:
I think I know where the Downtown Standard is... I think they have specials where they have super cheap appetizers even though the joint reminds me of an upscale sports bar. I'm not totally sure though.

I'll have a car which seats 4 other full-sized people so I can drive!

Eh, Downtown Standard is nice, but it's too high brow IMHO. Also, the drinks are like 10 bucks and they usually charge a cover on the weekends. I'm down to get some drinks. A few suggestions: The Circle Bar in Santa Monica- kinda far, but awesome crowd, some dancing, but very crowded. Barney's Beanery in WeHo- Good "loud" sports bar, college crowd. 2100 Sunset or Bigfoot Lodge in Los Feliz- Laid back, hang-out kinda place, cool atmosphere.

I could probably come up with a bunch more, but I gotta run to class...

I'd be down for hanging out together after 2nd look day. . . . we can plan something the day of when we can talk to more people--not just the ones on SDN. Should be a good time. I'm looking forward to it.

We have been informed that parking passes will not be available online until May 15, 2004 @ 8:30 a.m.

Dear Students,
We have received notice from the Transportation Office that it is time to pre-register for parking for the Fall 2004 semester, at www.usc.edu/parking You must register for Fall 2004 first. Don't wait until the prime parking areas are gone. All parking is issued on a "first come, first served" basis. For more information, call the Health Sciences Campus Transportation Office (323) 442-1201.
Take care,
Rena Thorstensen
Student Affairs Advisor

For parking near the med school, is it important to get a pass as soon as they are available or is it not so big a deal?

i would say asap. spots fill very very fast at usc. but if all else fails, there is a free parking for hospital employees (lot 9) 2-3 blocks from the campus. and a shuttle can take you from that parking to school. but that is a huge hassle cause the shuttles arent that reliable (long waits). there are also some public parking there that i guess you could get a monthly pass for.

another "secret" is that if the parking structure at hsc (im not sure what its called, look at a map) gets full, you can just buy a parking permit for any of the other parking structures (PS A, B, X, D etc) on the undergrad campus and use it at hsc...the ugrad PS permits are valid at hsc.

I did not know that undergrad parking deal thingy. The first date that the parking online opens is May 15th (funny) so you have some time before you need to start thinking about buying a permit. But if you are for sure going to USC< you should DEFINTELY buy a 71 permit once you get a chance (or structure if you like dropping $$$)

Jalby said:
I did not know that undergrad parking deal thingy. The first date that the parking online opens is May 15th (funny) so you have some time before you need to start thinking about buying a permit. But if you are for sure going to USC< you should DEFINTELY buy a 71 permit once you get a chance (or structure if you like dropping $$$)

Jalby - Can you please tell us the parking permits we should try to get, as in what order from best to worst?

so...

Best= 71 or structure (what structure?) if we want to drop cash (how much cash?)
second best=
worst=

That would be very helpful.

Oh, and what cell phone carrier is the best for the HSC campus? thank you.

sorry. Semi in class.

1. 71
2. Biggy (reverse if rich)
3. some new lot on San Pablo (donno name)
4. Free lot

Cell Phone: Cingular is my favorite.

Thanks for the parking info Jalby. Are you going to be at the reception this Friday? I am dying to see what you are like in person.

On another note, has anyone seen that USC program on the discovery channel? The last two Sundays I checked on the discovery channel at 7pm, but it wasn't on at both times. Do I have the channel &/or time right?

Can't wait to meet everyone on Friday :)

Great. Thank you so much! Is Biggy the actual name or is there another name?

And, thank you for the cellphone info. Do you know if verizon has good coverage? I'd like to know if i have switch carriers!

You're the best!

snowbear said:
Thanks for the parking info Jalby. Are you going to be at the reception this Friday? I am dying to see what you are like in person.

On another note, has anyone seen that USC program on the discovery channel? The last two Sundays I checked on the discovery channel at 7pm, but it wasn't on at both times. Do I have the channel &/or time right?

Can't wait to meet everyone on Friday :)

It's actually on the discovery health channel, which is different from the regular discovery channel. I saw it last week, and I guess it's about what you would expect: surgery, breaking tough news, etc. They had a segment on the USC football team doctor, which was pretty cool. I haven't seen them follow around a med student yet, which is probably what most of us are interested in.

jay16942 said:
It's actually on the discovery health channel, which is different from the regular discovery channel. I saw it last week, and I guess it's about what you would expect: surgery, breaking tough news, etc. They had a segment on the USC football team doctor, which was pretty cool. I haven't seen them follow around a med student yet, which is probably what most of us are interested in.

Thanks. Do you know what the abbreviation for that channel is, which channel is it for you? I tried finding it, but I couldn't. Maybe I don't have that channel.

Jay, are you going to 'SC next year? Will you be at the reception this Friday?

bump (I'm bored peoples. Entertain me)

Jalby-

Here's a question for you - or rather a bunch of related questions... What are some things you wished you had known about the first year at Keck? Having a laptop as opposed to a desktop? Study strategies? Which classes aren't worth going to? Which are some of the more conceptually difficult topics to learn? I have more but maybe you could fill in the blanks.

Thanks!

emily69 said:
Jalby-

Here's a question for you - or rather a bunch of related questions... What are some things you wished you had known about the first year at Keck? Having a laptop as opposed to a desktop? Study strategies? Which classes aren't worth going to? Which are some of the more conceptually difficult topics to learn? I have more but maybe you could fill in the blanks.

Thanks!

No no no no no. I meant you guys entertain me with your stories. Most of those questions are actually answered in the Salerni Survival guide which you guys will get in July or so.

I'm missing the end of my left thumb. Is that the sort of entertainment you're looking to hear?

Class is over. Now i can find my own entertainment.

As a current MSI, I'll probably get to know some of you '08 peeps next year. It should be cool seeing y'all at 2nd look.

I have Verizon, and you get decent coverage on campus. You won't get any coverage in lecture halls (not that any service does), but MDL coverage is good.

If you already have a desktop or a laptop, stick with that. If you have neither, I'd recommend getting a laptop. It's not required, but occasionally you may want to bring it to campus to look at slides and stuff. But there are so many computers on campus that it's not really necessary to bring your laptop to school.

As far as study strategies, the consensus is to study consistently (about 2 hours a day or so). It is possible to not do much studying and then cram a week before tests (like I do), but be forewarned that you will feel pain during that week.

You will quickly learn which profs are good and which aren't. I'd say that most people in my class go to about 70-80% of the lectures. I go to about 30-40% and do just fine using just the lecture notes.

There is really nothing conceptually difficult in the first year of med school. It's just that you'll have a lot of info to synthesize and process.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun this summer and relax. Med school will be fun.

zer0el said:
I have Verizon, and you get decent coverage on campus. You won't get any coverage in lecture halls (not that any service does), but MDL coverage is good.

I actually get complete coverage in all buildings on campus with Cingular and so does my roommate. I was reminded of that during a community medicine meeting at lunch.

Hey ZerOel,

It's awesome to meet a future upper-classmen. Thanks for the info :) It's so good to hear someone say med school will be fun, especially someone from 'SC.

Patzan,

So how'd you lose the end of your left thumb? Oh, and I saw your Russian thread. Were you born in Russia/have you lived there? My sister's exboyfriend was Russian and so for a while I hung out with a big group of Russians; they were all so much fun to be around and I miss them.

From what it sounds like, we're going to have a pretty diverse class, which I am hella excited for. That's one cool thing out of many about going to a private school, lots of diversity :clap:

zer0el said:
As a current MSI, I'll probably get to know some of you '08 peeps next year. It should be cool seeing y'all at 2nd look.

If you already have a desktop or a laptop, stick with that. If you have neither, I'd recommend getting a laptop. It's not required, but occasionally you may want to bring it to campus to look at slides and stuff. But there are so many computers on campus that it's not really necessary to bring your laptop to school.

As far as study strategies, the consensus is to study consistently (about 2 hours a day or so). It is possible to not do much studying and then cram a week before tests (like I do), but be forewarned that you will feel pain during that week.

You will quickly learn which profs are good and which aren't. I'd say that most people in my class go to about 70-80% of the lectures. I go to about 30-40% and do just fine using just the lecture notes.

There is really nothing conceptually difficult in the first year of med school. It's just that you'll have a lot of info to synthesize and process.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun this summer and relax. Med school will be fun.

Thanks for the info zer0el! :) I'm pretty excited for next year as well as this Friday! See you around!