Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They said you can do up to 1000 characters in a follow up emaildid you do 1000 characters or 65 words?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They said you can do up to 1000 characters in a follow up emaildid you do 1000 characters or 65 words?
I did the 1,000 characters in a follow up email, and called their admissions office to confirm.did you do 1000 characters or 65 words?
Idk how to quote but this person said this: 2020-2021 University of Southern California (Keck)Interesting... I honestly interpreted it as a good outlet to discuss why the school would be a good fit. I feel like there's not a lot of area to talk about your interests or fit elsewhere.
ik its generally not recommended to do a why us essay in the extra info section but iirc they have a new dean now so the new Dean may think differently about the QIdk how to quote but this person said this: 2020-2021 University of Southern California (Keck)
"As someone who interviewed at Keck last year, I would strongly advise that no one writes a 'why Keck?' response. Dean Arias specifically talked to us at the interview about how much she hates that question, and that she knows the real answer is 'it's a large research institution in Los Angeles with great weather outside'."
Good to know!ik its generally not recommended to do a why us essay in the extra info section but iirc they have a new dean now so the new Dean may think differently about the Q
did you keep it within 5 sentences? Or did you just do the 1000 charactersI did the 1,000 characters in a follow up email, and called their admissions office to confirm.
Someone I know asked USC and they said to keep it under 5 sentences but u can use up to 1000 characters within those 5 sentencesdid you keep it within 5 sentences? Or did you just do the 1000 characters
"Please feel free to follow the maximum character count guideline when providing your responses in the short answer section. You will not be penalized." -Keckdid you keep it within 5 sentences? Or did you just do the 1000 characters
Could you elaborate on "Trojan Spirit"? What kind of values embody this? If there's a link you could send too that would be greatAs a current double USC student, I know for a FACT that USC loves to see the idea of the 'Trojan Spirit' personified in essays. I think the last one is a great place to show that.
Isn’t that more relevant to their undergrad university?Could you elaborate on "Trojan Spirit"? What kind of values embody this? If there's a link you could send too that would be great
Yeah! It's about showing your personality, so go for it.This may be stupid, but for the three things that I don't care about, would it be weird if I say I don't care about ranking up in video games if I can still play with my friends?
From my experience there, it affects all aspects of study. They really believe in the school spirit mantra whether you are an engineer in Viterbi or a Humanities major at Dornsife. Same applies to their graduate and professional programs -- they equally participate in the school activities and tailgates for football games. Then again, this coming from my biased perspective.Isn’t that more relevant to their undergrad university?
They screen. They do not send applications to anyone with a 506 or below on the MCAT.Do they screen? I haven't recieved my secondary yet...
I went to an admissions panel yesterday with their current Director of Admissions, Michael Richards. He said they are planning to send IIs starting in Mid August and ending in February.Does anyone know when the first II went out last year?
They should put you in a Trojan commercialI went to an admissions panel yesterday with their current Director of Admissions, Michael Richards. He said they are planning to send IIs starting in Mid August and ending in February.
I bleed cardinal and gold (and am like $100K in debt)They should put you in a Trojan commercial
This is not weird at all! Their Qs are meant for you to showcase your personality!This may be stupid, but for the three things that I don't care about, would it be weird if I say I don't care about ranking up in video games if I can still play with my friends?
okay! I submitted my primary to them yesterday morning, but i still haven't heard anything/They screen. They do not send applications to anyone with a 506 or below on the MCAT.
I like that! I wrote that I don't care about chess rankings/I just enjoy playing, so I think it's in the spirit of what people say 🙂This may be stupid, but for the three things that I don't care about, would it be weird if I say I don't care about ranking up in video games if I can still play with my friends?
I wrote about Anime, the taste of eggplant, and car specsI like that! I wrote that I don't care about chess rankings/I just enjoy playing, so I think it's in the spirit of what people say 🙂
Hey! Current Keck student here - I would advise against a "Why USC" essay, especially in the last question. As other people have mentioned, Dean Arias told us several times, including on interview days, that she didn't like that question. I cannot guarantee that the new dean thinks the same, but I know quite a few med students who would give you a strong side eye if they're on the admissions committee. For Keck, embodying 'Trojan Spirit' means they take a lot of people who went to USC for undergrad or are from California. Otherwise, like any other school, they do look for mission fit, but that's more through your activities and personal statement because these secondaries are more designed to get to know your personality.As a current double USC student, I know for a FACT that USC loves to see the idea of the 'Trojan Spirit' personified in essays. I think the last one is a great place to show that.
You heard it here, folks! Welp, looks like being a 10 year trojan might have just flown out the window.Hey! Current Keck student here - I would advise against a "Why USC" essay, especially in the last question. As other people have mentioned, Dean Arias told us several times, including on interview days, that she didn't like that question. I cannot guarantee that the new dean thinks the same, but I know quite a few med students who would give you a strong side eye if they're on the admissions committee. For Keck, embodying 'Trojan Spirit' means they take a lot of people who went to USC for undergrad or are from California. Otherwise, like any other school, they do look for mission fit, but that's more through your activities and personal statement because these secondaries are more designed to get to know your personality.
I would also recommend not putting your real name/identifying information on here!
Iconic username. I'm an instant coffee fan myself...Hey! Current Keck student here - I would advise against a "Why USC" essay, especially in the last question. As other people have mentioned, Dean Arias told us several times, including on interview days, that she didn't like that question. I cannot guarantee that the new dean thinks the same, but I know quite a few med students who would give you a strong side eye if they're on the admissions committee. For Keck, embodying 'Trojan Spirit' means they take a lot of people who went to USC for undergrad or are from California. Otherwise, like any other school, they do look for mission fit, but that's more through your activities and personal statement because these secondaries are more designed to get to know your personality.
I would also recommend not putting your real name/identifying information on here!
Ahh, I am so torn on what to do for the last section now. 🙁My partner was Keck CO '25 and he suggested I do a "Why USC?" essay. Ironically, he applied and was admitted during 20-21 cycle--when the o.g. suggestion to avoid that kind of essay comes from.Hey! Current Keck student here - I would advise against a "Why USC" essay, especially in the last question. As other people have mentioned, Dean Arias told us several times, including on interview days, that she didn't like that question. I cannot guarantee that the new dean thinks the same, but I know quite a few med students who would give you a strong side eye if they're on the admissions committee. For Keck, embodying 'Trojan Spirit' means they take a lot of people who went to USC for undergrad or are from California. Otherwise, like any other school, they do look for mission fit, but that's more through your activities and personal statement because these secondaries are more designed to get to know your personality.
I would also recommend not putting your real name/identifying information on here!
I don't think it will be a make-or-break thing (to the other people who have submitted already as well)! There are definitely people from my cohort who were successful with a "Why USC"-esque essay, most of us just chose not to based on the advice we were given. The rationale we were told is that California + research is almost everyone's reason, so essays that echo that sentiment don't really do anything for your application. If you have a unique or personal reason, I can't speak as to how it will be evaluated.Ahh, I am so torn on what to do for the last section now. 🙁My partner was Keck CO '25 and he suggested I do a "Why USC?" essay. Ironically, he applied and was admitted during 20-21 cycle--when the o.g. suggestion to avoid that kind of essay comes from.
I got mine the same day I was verified, 7/25 verified --> 7/25 secondary.Guys its been five days... how long does it take for secondarys to be sent out??
oh my... should i call or email them?I got mine the same day I was verified, 7/25 verified --> 7/25 secondary.
I got mine a week after the first batch went out. Verified before the 6/27 distributionoh my... should i call or email them?
Give it a full week, then reach outoh my... should i call or email them?
I received an email about Federal Regulation Disclosures after submitting. That is all.did yall get a confirmation email when submitting the secondary?
Yes, 2 days after submittingDid anyone receive an "application complete" email after submitting their secondary?
Is this one different than the federal disclosures email?Yes, 2 days after submitting
They interviewed 250 IS and 150 OOS last year, with 100 IS and 20 OOS matriculating.I’ve already submitted, but does anyone know how strongly they’ve preferred IS in the past? I’m OOS so I just wanted to know how difficult I’ve made this for myself lol
if you dont mind me asking what was LM?+1 IS II this afternoon.
Very excited
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.