Keck-USC Class of 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SoCalOrBust said:
Ok it's final- I'm going to USC for sure (200%!) Sorry Camstah! I talked to a third year about residency matches and clinical experience. I don't think UCI compares in that area for the specialties I'm looking at.

I think the hospital will be finished 2007; we will be the first ones using it!

no no, don't be sorry....it's cool if sdners go...i want everyone who DOESN'T use sdn to drop :)

Members don't see this ad.

camstah said:
say it isn't so!!!!!
so that probably means there won't be much love for us waitlisters..... :(

Sorry, but that does look pretty accurate.

Here is an article that came out today about the new medical center. http://uscnews.usc.edu/hscweekly/detail.php?recordnum=10132

LAC+USC Replacement Facility rises as Los Angeles? biggest project

by Jon Nalick

The LAC+USC Medical Center Replacement Facility project has passed another major milestone on the road to completion and center officials are mapping out plans for the facility?s day-to-day operations and departmental space allocation when it opens in 2007.

David Altman, chief medical officer of the LAC+USC Healthcare Network, said that construction crews recently completed the structural steel framework for the $820 million facility.

?We?re very excited about the progress that?s been made on the structure. We?re right on target in terms of budget and?despite having fallen behind about 50 days behind schedule because of rains and some other problems?we expect to make up that time and open on schedule in March 2007,? he said.

Described as the largest capital construction project ever undertaken by the County of Los Angeles, the 600-bed, 1.5 million-square-foot facility will include a seven-story outpatient building, an eight-story inpatient tower, a five-story diagnostic and treatment building and a central energy plant.

According to the Los Angeles Business Journal, the construction project is also by far the largest in terms of square footage and cost currently underway in the county.

Altman said that although the facility will encompass less total space than the older facility, the efficiency of design and the technological advances built into the project will more than make up for the difference.

For example, it will rely on broadband Internet connections to deliver digital X-rays and other medical records instantaneously to operating rooms or conference rooms?obviating the time-consuming need for people to physically carry records from place to place and also reducing the need for record storage space.

?In the new facility, electronics will be doing the work that used to tie up interns,? he said. ?It will be a great place to work?it will have all the bells and whistles that the medical faculty wants and needs.?

The new facility will offer more intensive-care beds than LAC+USC Medical Center?as many as 200 such beds compared to the 80 currently available, Altman said.

In addition, the new facility?s design incorporates faster and more efficient elevators, including one that provides a dedicated link between a helipad and emergency room to ensure the fastest possible transfer of critical patients.

Currently, patients transported by helicopter land 500 yards away from the hospital and must be transported from the helipad by ambulance, delaying treatment by precious minutes.

The Replacement Facility also is designed to resist and endure major catastrophes, including severe earthquakes.

In the event of a major regional emergency, the facility will be able to remain entirely self-sustaining for more than 96 hours, Altman said.

Project Director Brad Bolger said that the facility is seismically isolated, resting within a concrete ?moat? that contains a grid of rubber bearings that dampen ground movement. The system is so robust that it is expected to weather earthquakes of up to magnitude 8.4 without any disruption in service?and even surgeries in progress could continue.

The project also includes a subterranean network that permits automated vehicles to transport bulk goods such as linens and food parcels between buildings without human assistance?a time-, money- and labor-saving feature that should greatly increase efficiency, Bolger said.

He added that a major aesthetic feature of the project is the wide courtyard?about the size of two football fields?where patients and their family and friends can congregate away from the inside of the hospital. The space will include an amphitheater and gardens and ?will offer a great environment for people to gather and talk.?

Keck School Dean Stephen J. Ryan said the project represents ?a significant leap forward in technology and logistical capability and will enhance for years to come our ability to provide the best possible medical care to the community. This is an exciting time for everyone associated with the project, and an especially exciting time for our Keck School faculty members involved in patient care and involved with residents and the training programs at LAC+USC Medical Center.?

Pete Delgado, chief executive officer of the LAC+USC Healthcare Network, agreed, adding, ?This is a great opportunity to build on the success of LAC+USC and become more attractive to medical professionals. The community will be the beneficiary of a state-of-the-art facility that is second to none. The county is really giving a well-deserved gift back to the community by investing in this project.?

For now, project leaders remain busy with developing plans for the day-to-day running of the facility once it opens.

Altman said, ?There?s still an awful lot of work to be done. It?s a smaller hospital than we currently run and there are a lot of operational challenges concerning how we?re going to accommodate everyone. But we hope that we can make all the proper adjustments in terms delivering the best possible service from a smaller building, but we?re very optimistic that we will be able to do just that.?

He added that the project represents a great advance for health care throughout the region: ?We will be offering the state of the art in terms of equipment and access. This really cements our role as the premier tertiary care facility for the community.?

Designed by Los Angeles-based HOK and LBL Associated Architects of Santa Monica, the new hospital will replace the outdated facility, which was built in 1933.

Site preparation for the project was completed in November 2002. The general contractor for the remaining construction work is McCarthy, Clark Hunt, a Joint Venture (MCH).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...the new facility sounds way cool!!

It's hard to believe the county is spending so much money on it. Wasn't that sort of a scandal with construction of the old facility?

SoCalOrBust said:
Ok it's final- I'm going to USC for sure (200%!) Sorry Camstah! I talked to a third year about residency matches and clinical experience. I don't think UCI compares in that area for the specialties I'm looking at.

I think the hospital will be finished 2007; we will be the first ones using it!

Welcome to our class SoCalOrBust! It seems like we're going to have an awesome class!

snowbear said:
Welcome to our class SoCalOrBust! It seems like we're going to have an awesome class!

ditto. It was nice to finally put a face with all the comments.

What did everyone think of the reception this past Friday?
I got to meet Patzan and Snowbear in person! (and of course Jalby) :)
I made the mistake of wearing an all black outfit. It was *SO* hot. I forgot how hot it could be in LA...

I was right on with all of the guys: blue shirt, tan pants.

Shadowing was the best part. The pep talks were ok, but it was nice to see the facilities again and meet current students (and SDNers, of course). It was all just a little assurance that I made the right decision.

I had a great time on Friday. Definitely impressed with the school and I think I'm leaning towards it at this point. I'm not sure if anyone from SDN saw me, but I was wearing a blue shirt and brown pants. I asked the panel the question about where they lived. I hope that my fellow USC undergrads weren't too cliquish or anything- they are all really cool people and it really looks like a great class.

Jalby said:
So shocking.

Hey, at least they weren't KHAKI pants. And I didn't have my shirt tucked in... *gasp* :p

It's final.
I'm choosing Keck over Columbia and SUNY Downstate (which would have been way cheaper).

Yahoo!!!!
:D ;) :p :) :D :rolleyes: :oops: :D

baya said:
It's final.
I'm choosing Keck over Columbia and SUNY Downstate (which would have been way cheaper).

Yahoo!!!!
:D ;) :p :) :D :rolleyes: :oops: :D

Congrats baya. You, superstarz, and Jay are all people who I didn't have a chance to meet at the second look day, although I did answer one of Jay's questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jalby said:
Congrats baya. You, superstarz, and Jay are all people who I didn't have a chance to meet at the second look day, although I did answer one of Jay's questions.

I'm tall, and was wearing a red shirt and grey skirt. Short dark brown hair.
I asked a few questions at the panel - I think one of them was about the hopefully-soon-to-be Medical Spanish class, and another was about the MPH program.

I'm thrilled to be going there, and to have finally decided!

Hey Keck 2008,

First time here, I just wanted to say hello. I wanted to come out for the 23rd revisit day but couldn't work out the trip (I'm from South Dakota). I've been accepted and am 80% sure I'm coming to USC. Just a quick question, how much is rent in monterey hills and south pasadena for a single bedroom apartment? I stayed with a student during my interview and he lived way up in Studio City, North Hollywood and paid 1,100 for his one bedroom. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at because one things for sho....it's gonna be more than what I pay right now in SoDak (around 175!!)

Jalby,

Is this interview feedback true? Is it aimed at you as some sort of vindictive thing? Do you know the guy? He sounds like he really does have some genetic abnormalities..

"My student interview was with a wanna-be muscle beach prick. He sported socks with sandles and a cut-off tank-top and probably masturbated to pictures of himself. He was social ******ed, but seemed oblivious to this fact. He never shut-up. I do not know too much about genetic abnormalities, but I think he escaped from the research center- maybe trisomy or XXY problems. Who knows though it could have been fetal alcohol syndrome. Either way he talked like a fifth grade girl and looked like a special-ed reject. His interview technique was interesting: talk about himself, ask an esoteric question, criticize my experiences, talk about himself, criticize some more, put down other schools, and then talk about himself. "

Spitting Camel said:
Jalby,

Is this interview feedback true? Is it aimed at you as some sort of vidictive thing? Do you know the guy? He sounds like he really does have some genetic abnormalities..

"My student interview was with a wanna-be muscle beach prick. He sported socks with sandles and a cut-off tank-top and probably masturbated to pictures of himself. He was social ******ed, but seemed oblivious to this fact. He never shut-up. I do not know too much about genetic abnormalities, but I think he escaped from the research center- maybe trisomy or XXY problems. Who knows though it could have been fetal alcohol syndrome. Either way he talked like a fifth grade girl and looked like a special-ed reject. His interview technique was interesting: talk about himself, ask an esoteric question, criticize my experiences, talk about himself, criticize some more, put down other schools, and then talk about himself. "

That was done by cbc. He also did one earlier (the other one without the face) which he posts right before and after each interview feedback. But he definately is describing me there. For the past 6 years I have worn socks with Sandals, so I'm pretty pissed about that. But this guy was a former student of mine 3 years ago who ended up at UCI. He was one of the wrost students I ever had and was so shocked when he got the grade he deserved. If you read any of his posts, it's kind of funny. He's not the most socially adept person. Here are some of the highlights of his posts:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113478

And one of my favorite ones:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1096186#post1096186

usdtdc said:
Hey Keck 2008,

First time here, I just wanted to say hello. I wanted to come out for the 23rd revisit day but couldn't work out the trip (I'm from South Dakota). I've been accepted and am 80% sure I'm coming to USC. Just a quick question, how much is rent in monterey hills and south pasadena for a single bedroom apartment? I stayed with a student during my interview and he lived way up in Studio City, North Hollywood and paid 1,100 for his one bedroom. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at because one things for sho....it's gonna be more than what I pay right now in SoDak (around 175!!)

Congratulations. There seems to be a ton of you guys who are coming next year. Is there anybody who went to the second look and isn't coming????

To answer your question, I have no idea. Most people don't get single's. You can get a two bedroom in Monterrey Hills for 1200-1400$. I guess I didn't really answer your question.

Jalby said:
That was done by cbc. He also did one earlier (the other one without the face) which he posts right before and after each interview feedback. But he definately is describing me there. For the past 6 years I have worn socks with Sandals, so I'm pretty pissed about that. But this guy was a former student of mine 3 years ago who ended up at UCI. He was one of the wrost students I ever had and was so shocked when he got the grade he deserved. If you read any of his posts, it's kind of funny. He's not the most socially adept person. Here are some of the highlights of his posts:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113478

And one of my favorite ones:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1096186#post1096186

Oh yeah, I remember that A$$. haha, I should have known. It sounded fishy. So, what grade did he get? :laugh:

here's a question jalby...if usc currently has 200 acceptances out, what happens if everyone accepts?

I think he got a C or a D. And he was on four waitlists and was planning on sending that grade to the schools to help him get in.

As for your question camstah, it happened 5 years ago. They tried to get people to defer and made one of the computer labs into a MDL. I think they are trying to increase the class size in 2-3 years, so if to many people accept, I'm sure they will just up the plan to this year.

Hey Jalby, got any advice for the first year's neuro gross anatomy practical tomorrow? Did your test focus a lot on nerve components? Thanks dude.

Don't mess up. I donno. I did not do well on that test at all. Ohhh, I remember one. The top of the nasal cavity is innervated totally by CN I. That's about all I remember. Good luck. You'll need it.

Hey Jalby- you say that cbc guy is going to UCI? Man am I glad that I won't bo going to the same place as him.

He sounds like a dumba$$ too. I read that stuff about housing- I live in Davis and you cant get a place here for 300 bucks a month (even without utilities). I really don't think that USC is that expensive for a school in a city. There's no way you could get cheap housing in SF- not a chance unless you know someone there.

Can you get 4 bedroom apartments pretty cheap there?

Congrats Baya! It looks like we've made the right choice.

Oh another thing- anyone looking for roomates there let me know- i have to get that taken care of soon cuz I'm going on a trip to Asia for several weeks and wont be able to contact people in Cal

I need one. I'm sure I'll end up with one of you first years in my extra large closet.

I need a roommate too! I'm doing a teaching assistantship this summer, so I won't be able to spend lots of time looking for one, or for an apartment ... :(

Does anyone know of a website that tells all the stuff we need to do before August? I know they're going to send out the forms in June, but that's kind of late for me cause I'm going to be in Europe most of the summer.

I'm thinking of healthforms, CPR class?, anything else necessary between now and then.

baya said:
I'm tall, and was wearing a red shirt and grey skirt. Short dark brown hair.
I asked a few questions at the panel - I think one of them was about the hopefully-soon-to-be Medical Spanish class, and another was about the MPH program.

I'm thrilled to be going there, and to have finally decided!

Welcome to the class baya! I think that I saw you at the beginning of the panel, but I am not sure.

Welcome to SDN usdtdc, and it would be cool if you decided to join us in the Fall; I doubt we'll get too many students from South Dakota :)

CPR class? we have to take that, too? I've always thought those dolls they use were kind of creepy...

if you need to be CPR certified, I can do it for you for free if I can get permission from the local American Red Cross chapter, or I can do it here if anyone wants to come to Utah!

You don't need CPR class. They teach you that second year.

I just wanted to say how incredibly hot it has been in LA for the past 2 days. It's insane. 104 degrees today! Hopefully this isn't part of a larger trend, otherwise LA will be fried to a crisp well before we start school in the fall.

btw- According to the Bush administration, the "jury is still out" on global warming...

jay16942 said:
I just wanted to say how incredibly hot it has been in LA for the past 2 days. It's insane. 104 degrees today! Hopefully this isn't part of a larger trend, otherwise LA will be fried to a crisp well before we start school in the fall.

btw- According to the Bush administration, the "jury is still out" on global warming...

Yeah, I hope that won't be a trend because if it's this hot in April, my eskimo puppy isn't going to be a happy camper come summer :(

Does Financial Aid give you enough for payments on a new car? I really need a new one that will last me through the next several years.

Anyone live around here (or not) and need a roommate? I'm in L.A. not far from Monterey Hills and can look for housing. PM me if interested and tell me what kinds of things you are looking for in a roommate.

I just had a couple random questions about technology at Keck...

Is there a wireless network?

Are lectures recorded?

If anyone could share this info, I'd appreciate it. :)

>Is there a wireless network?

Yes, but unfortunately there's no wireless capability inside the MDLs or lecture halls (admin is considering it though). There's wireless access out in the quad,which means you'd have to work outside if you wanted to use it. However, you do get ethernet at your MDL desk.

>Are lectures recorded?

No, only on rare occasions will lectures be videotaped. But all lecture notes and slides are posted on MedWeb.

SoCalOrBust said:
Does Financial Aid give you enough for payments on a new car? I really need a new one that will last me through the next several years.

Wait until you start school to purchase the car. If you do, fin aid can offer you some kind of help.

superstarz, et. al.,

My wife and I will be traveling for much of the summer and were thinking of looking for a place, possibly to move in Aug. 1st. How much in advance should we start looking for places? (we will be in So. Cal for several weeks in June and July). Thinking probably S. Pasadena or M. Hill(s).

Jalby said:
You don't need CPR class. They teach you that second year.

Okay, excellent.
I already got mine (again) because SUNY Downstate was asking for it.
I wasn't sure if Keck was going to or not.

Thanks.

Okay, so no CPR class.

We need to do:

1) Health Forms
2) Parking permits
3) Financial Aid

Anything else before August?
Thanks!

baya said:
Okay, so no CPR class.

We need to do:

1) Health Forms
2) Parking permits
3) Financial Aid

Anything else before August?
Thanks!

4) housing.

docmemi said:
4) housing.

Um, right. Hereby assuming everyone knows they need housing.
Anything else?

baya said:
Um, right. Hereby assuming everyone knows they need housing.
Anything else?

haha. i was totally being serious...i wanted to make it a point to start looking so you dont have problems later. :laugh:

oh, how about books and other supplies. i never even thought about that. do you just wait till week 1 of school to worry about that??

docmemi said:
haha. i was totally being serious...i wanted to make it a point to start looking so you dont have problems later. :laugh:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

docmemi said:
oh, how about books and other supplies. i never even thought about that. do you just wait till week 1 of school to worry about that??

I think we're supposed to wait for orientation, and get the stuff at a discount at the university book store. Can anyone confirm that?

alright, Baya and snowbear, you need to pick different icons.

Jalby said:
alright, Baya and snowbear, you need to pick different icons.

Because they're too similar or because you don't like flowers? :p

Health forms? I haven't gotten those in the mail... Or is it the form that we got along with the acceptance package (e.g. BIG :) envelope) ???

LA is ridiculously HOT. I can't believe I survived the first 16 years of my life in that weather. Then I migrated to NorCal and soon I'll be baking again... Will I ever leave California? probably not!

emily69 said:
Health forms? I haven't gotten those in the mail... Or is it the form that we got along with the acceptance package (e.g. BIG :) envelope) ???

LA is ridiculously HOT. I can't believe I survived the first 16 years of my life in that weather. Then I migrated to NorCal and soon I'll be baking again... Will I ever leave California? probably not!

No, they haven't sent them out yet. They say they'll do so late May or early June. My trouble is that I'm going to be out of the country by then, traveling, so I'm trying to figure it out early.

If you'll be around all summer, relax and don't worry about it until they send you a packet.

If you're traveling like me, you can find the forms (I just located them!) at http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/Health_Center/help/ec.forms.html