Keep or lose rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate hearing replies from those who have actually gone down this road:

Imagine you're a line or non-medical staff officer with enough years to be an O-3 or O-4. You go to night school part-time to satisfy the medical school requirements and, lo and behold, one day you're holding an acceptance letter in your hands, along with another letter informing you you've got an HPSP scholarship.

While in medical school on HPSP, do you maintain your pre-medical school rank and get paid the normal stipend amount, or must you revert to O-1? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

During med school you will be considered an O-1, the monthly stipend is the same for everyone regardless of rank and years of service. When you do your Active Duty for Training (ADTs) you will be paid as an O-1, but your years of service will count, so those with prior service will be making a little more. Also while doing ADTs you will wear O-1 rank. I was an O-3 when I started med school so I had alot of the same questions. On the books they have all my prior service stuff listed, but they always refer to me as an O-1. It doesn't really matter, while your in school the army is very hands-off and while your doing your ADT it is probably better that you are wearing O-1 rank or else folks will think that you are much more medically experienced than you actually are. By the time you get out of med school, you are an O-3 again, so it really doesn't matter. Any time in grade, whether in Medical Corps or not, will count toward promotion. Let me know if you have any more questions -- also this only applies to HPSP, I'm not sure how Uniformed Services works.

One of my good friends was a submarine officer. All his time in service counts towards his retirement. However, like you he had to resign his commission. Also, I believe that his time in service was halfed. For example, he had 10 years in so he gets credit for 5 years towards promotion.

Members don't see this ad :)
chopperdoc said:
also this only applies to HPSP, I'm not sure how Uniformed Services works.

Just about the same deal for USU. Also, time in service is frozen during the four years of med school. Graduation, O-3 with all years prior to med counting towards years of service. Half of those years count towards promotion to O-4. Greater than 12 years of prior service and you will graduate as an O-4, with 0 years towards O-5.

I was prior service enlisted and an officer and it's true, you are an 0-1 during HPSP and get 1/2 service credit for prior years as an officer towards rank... The regs say only 1/2 because any Corps you have served in other than medical corps is 1/2 time by regulation... it does seem unfair a bit, but then again they've assumed the med school debt and all so I guess we all know what we're getting into....

Also consider this side of the coin...from what I have seen, prior service with decent grades and board scores seem to have their pick of residencies. Maybe not totally true, but it definitely helps.

USAFGMODOC said:
I was prior service enlisted and an officer and it's true, you are an 0-1 during HPSP and get 1/2 service credit for prior years as an officer towards rank... The regs say only 1/2 because any Corps you have served in other than medical corps is 1/2 time by regulation... it does seem unfair a bit, but then again they've assumed the med school debt and all so I guess we all know what we're getting into....

Does time in medical school on HPSP count towards the magic 20 for retirement, or does it count strictly towards seniority but not retirement? Thanks

HPSP time in med school really counts for "nothing". It doesn't add towards retirement and HPSP time on ADT's does not count towards retirement either-- even though you are on active duy orders--- go figure that one.

So, unless you have prior commissioned service, you won't put on Major until you get 6 years after Med school graduation....

USAFGMODOC said:
HPSP time in med school really counts for "nothing". It doesn't add towards retirement and HPSP time on ADT's does not count towards retirement either-- even though you are on active duy orders--- go figure that one.

So, unless you have prior commissioned service, you won't put on Major until you get 6 years after Med school graduation....

Is 6 years after Med school graduation the milestone for pinning on Major? I'll have 9 years of line officer time when I hopefully go to USUHS, so I figure I'll graduate as a Captain (again) with 4.5 years creditable. What's funny is the timing should result in my being a Major select prior to recommissioning as a 2Lt, possibly even pinned on, depending on how backed up they still are.

kedhegard said:
Also consider this side of the coin...from what I have seen, prior service with decent grades and board scores seem to have their pick of residencies. Maybe not totally true, but it definitely helps.

BALONEY

Here is what I had coming out of HPSP:

1. Six years prior service as an active duty line officer

2. Graduated from medical school with a GPA of 90.99%

3. Above average board scores (don't recall exact numbers)

The residency I got from the military: NONE

MoosePilot said:
Is 6 years after Med school graduation the milestone for pinning on Major? I'll have 9 years of line officer time when I hopefully go to USUHS, so I figure I'll graduate as a Captain (again) with 4.5 years creditable. What's funny is the timing should result in my being a Major select prior to recommissioning as a 2Lt, possibly even pinned on, depending on how backed up they still are.

Yea , you'll be up for the Major's board either during your intern year or NLT the November following and you'll pin on 1.5 yrs after your grad date from Med school. Your USUHS time only "counts" when you make it to 20 yrs and retire (therefore you could retire @ 20 and = 24 yrs which isn't a bad deal).

Promotion to 0-4 and 0-5 is 100% for the Medical Corps and only for 0-6 is it somewhat "competative" for the docs, as it should be with some needed relooking at the bonus pays that haven't been much updated in a few years.