Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kansas

kansas
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys know about Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine? I have always been hard core about allopathic medicine, but now I am thinking that osteopathic may be the way for me to go, and I have been researching osteopathic schools, and kirksville seems like a probable option for me. What do you know about it?

Members don't see this ad.

kansas said:
What do you guys know about Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine? I have always been hard core about allopathic medicine, but now I am thinking that osteopathic may be the way for me to go, and I have been researching osteopathic schools, and kirksville seems like a probable option for me. What do you know about it?
I have been accepted to KCOM. Of all the schools I interveived at(including allopathic), KCOM was the best hands down. The school, faculty, and students felt so different compared to the other schools. It seems like a really good program. I have a close friend who graduated from KCOM in 1998. He said many of this attending's in residency commented on the difference in KCOM students compared to most other students - they seem to be of a higher caliber. That is exactly how I felt when I was there. I couldn't put my finger on, but there was a difference. Check out the KCOM 2009 acceptance thread. Many current KCOM students have posted info about the school. Best Wishes. :luck:

kansas said:

Make sure you are serious about becomming a DO before you apply to KCOM. Research Osteopathy and read Gevitz's book and become informed about the philosophy. One thing I noticed when I was there, is that being the founding school they take the philosophy very seriously and look for students who understand and are knowledgable about it. This shows in the interview questions. But KCOM is a very good school with great staff and students. And I'll second what Frogmed stated. Those were many of the reasons I chose KCOM myself. If you need any more help let pm me or ask in the KCOM Class of 2009 thread and we will be more than happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
kansas said:

Well, Kansas, to add to what the other two posters had posted, I think you should also look at the location. Kirksville is a very rural town and if you come from a large town (like I do at the moment), it will come up in your interviews. They want to know if you will be happy in such a small community as this one in addition to your interests in Osteopathic Medicine. So in short, consider the location very well. :)

Best of luck to you during the application process! :luck:

kansas said:
KCOM is a good school. KCUMB is probably "better" for most students and is closer. I notice you are in Springfield like me. The drive to KCOM is long whereas the drive to KCUMB is not so bad (I was there just last week), if this is a consideration for you.

I really liked KCOM when I interviewed there,
They have two really cool simulators that react like a real patient would, they respond to IV drugs, can "die", and have different heart sounds to listen to.

KCOM was just too rural for me, as well as the fact that only a small ratio of students get to stay in Kirksville to do rotations (17 i beleive).
But other than that it was a great school, and the faculty and students all seemed really friendly and inviting.

If you are really interested in the DO philosophy, make sure you have researched it pretty thoroughly, especially if you are thinking about going to the origins of osteopathic medicine.

jkhamlin said:
KCOM is a good school. KCUMB is probably "better" for most students and is closer. I notice you are in Springfield like me. The drive to KCOM is long whereas the drive to KCUMB is not so bad (I was there just last week), if this is a consideration for you.

Other than location, why is KCUMB better than KCOM for most people?

RcknRbyn said:
Other than location, why is KCUMB better than KCOM for most people?
Location is a lot of it. Also, they have kind of stagnated as compared to other schools. My uncle is an alumnus of KCOM and he even told me that. They are making efforts to grow and get with the times, but they are still behind the others like KCUMB, OSU-COM, etc. Keep in mind that I still said that KCOM is a good school, and I put the word better in quotation marks to indicate that this was subjective and that there are probably things that are better at KCOM.