KU Med Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jade8704

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody that's been accepted to KU School of Medicine entering class of 2009 be sure to join the KUMC School of Medicine Class of 2013 facebook group so we can all get to know one another! ROCK CHALK JAYDOCS!:D

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47963213232

P.S. what's everybody's living situation next year? moving to KC? communting to the med center??

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance!! Did you do ED or regular decision?
And i have no clue what i'm doing with housing. my parents live about 20 minutes from the campus but i'm mos def not living at home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! And kudos on the Facebook group--I was thinking about starting one and then got lazy.

We'll probably live somewhere in the Prairie Village area, but I'm leaving those decisions up to the husband. Hopefully we'll get a place with a sweet yard, and I'll be able to host study-bbq's. :)

Reg decision here...I don't know about housing either. My girlfriend is a first year med student there and lives in an appt down the street from the med center...still haven't decided whether to commute (from Lawrence) or just get an appt there too
\\
and for everyone else...regular or ED? and congrats to you all too!

i was ED as well.
And as for housing, I feel that i'll probably just end up gettin an apartment near the campus. I have a couple friends from highschool that are applying this cycle, so i'm also going to see what they end up doing if they are accepted/decide on KU

We'll probably live somewhere in the Prairie Village area, but I'm leaving those decisions up to the husband. Hopefully we'll get a place with a sweet yard, and I'll be able to host study-bbq's. :)
That's a pretty expensive area. You'd probably get more bang for your buck over in Brookside (on the Missouri side) or over by UMKC. Crossing the Kansas border hikes the price of housing substantially, for some reason.

That's a pretty expensive area. You'd probably get more bang for your buck over in Brookside (on the Missouri side) or over by UMKC. Crossing the Kansas border hikes the price of housing substantially, for some reason.

Yeah. We have friends who live in Brookside and that area is really cool. However, we're going to have to live in KS for tuition purposes. After living in DC... "pretty expensive" is relative.

yeah the whole live in kansas thing is kind of annoying, considering i'm still a dependent to my parents, who live in kansas. i feel it shouldn't matter where i actually live. oh well. anyone else feel that july 23rd is way too far away?

Yeah. We have friends who live in Brookside and that area is really cool. However, we're going to have to live in KS for tuition purposes. After living in DC... "pretty expensive" is relative.
Ah yeah, that's right. I'm so used to being at OOS schools at this point that it doesn't even register. :laugh:

Ah yeah, that's right. I'm so used to being at OOS schools at this point that it doesn't even register. :laugh:

hey milkman, what's your relationship to kansas city?

Holla! KU Class of 2013 here, accepted ED.

Probably going to stay in the Overland Park area or further south. I like to drive. :)

Thanks KSDeacon for the thread heads up :).

Members don't see this ad :)
...that's an ugly commute. I still suggest living over by the med school. Property is dirt cheap, and well, it's by the med school. :p

I figure I'll be spending so much time at the school anyway, I don't want to live near it. Plus, the lady works down south in the Blue Valley area. So my vote only half counts. :)

Pembroke Hill. Yeah, I was one of those kids.

eh it could always be worse. at least you didn't say rockhurst. i graduated from BVN

yeah the whole live in kansas thing is kind of annoying, considering i'm still a dependent to my parents, who live in kansas. i feel it shouldn't matter where i actually live. oh well. anyone else feel that july 23rd is way too far away?

To be honest, I'm enjoying work right now and the freedom I have until July 23 when we'll be hitting the ground running full speed! But yeah, I'm excited about school nonetheless :)

Hey guys, I'm a third year student at KU and would be willing to answer any questions you guys have about the school.

Hey guys, I'm a third year student at KU and would be willing to answer any questions you guys have about the school.

hey lilnoelle,

are you in the kc or wichita campus? is there a difference in the amount of clinical experience obtained in either location? also, i was reading the state of the school powerpoint on the school website and there is a slight edge in step 1 and 2 scores for students in kc than in wichita, although not by much. what are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your help

What time does class start in the morning during the first and second years?

hey lilnoelle,

are you in the kc or wichita campus? is there a difference in the amount of clinical experience obtained in either location? also, i was reading the state of the school powerpoint on the school website and there is a slight edge in step 1 and 2 scores for students in kc than in wichita, although not by much. what are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your help

Kansas City.
Second question is debatable. Since no one really attends both, its hard to say. My guess is that the Wichita students are probably worked harder in certain specialties (anything surgical) and have fewer individuals to compete with in order to do procedures.
Personally, since I don't really want to do surgery, I'm perfectly happy not being worked to death.

Last question - has to be purely coincidental. Step 1 is taken before third year and therefore, everyone has recieved the same education prior to taking it. If the edge is slight with either Step 1 or 2, its unlikely to be statistically significant anyway.
I wouldn't too much thought into slight differences in Step 1/2 scores anyway. One applicant isn't going to trump another in the residency application process with a score of 130 verses 125. 140 verses 120 - maybe, all other things being equal.

how soon do they decide who goes to Wichita and who stays in KC? I know they told us on our interview day but i have mos def forgotten

how soon do they decide who goes to Wichita and who stays in KC? I know they told us on our interview day but i have mos def forgotten

Its possible that it has changed since my first year.... but we were asked to make a decision by November(ish) of MS1. Then shortly thereafter they drew names to make up for the difference. There were 11 that didn't want to switch and were assigned the switch. However (and this is a regular trend), by the beginning of second year, there were enough individuals who WANTED to go to Wichita (and switched with those who were assigned to go) so that no one was forced to go.

I think first year students are hesitant to make a decision so early in first year that they don't sign up for Wichita, even though they want to switch. Then, invariably, everything evens out in the end.

From the KU website:

State of the School in 2008. Includes Step 1 & 2 scores, and some interesting future plans. I'm psyched about the potential NCI designation.
http://www.kumc.edu/som/documents/stateoftheschool2008.pdf

KU's made great strides in becoming a premiere institution for research and clinical skills development. With the potential NCI designation (hopefullly after their new drug Nanotax gets approved by the FDA), the new Advanced Heart Care Center at KU Hospital, and the newly opened spine center, KU Med will soon be among the nation's top medical centers. What a great time to be a jaydoc!
Spine center:
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/oct/30/ku_hospital_open_spine_center_monday/

Last edited:
So what's everyone doing during their "down time" before school starts?

As for me, I'll be finishing up my service year with AmeriCorps and hopefully have enough hours to get my educational stipend at the end. :xf:*crosses fingers*:xf:

So what's everyone doing during their "down time" before school starts?

Eh, working, finishing my MS... and moving to KS! We'll probably move at the end of May, and I'm really looking forward to having June and most of July to relax a little.

I was recently asked to describe the hours during MS3 via pm and thought it might be something you guys would be interested in as well.

Here was my response:

I'm only half way through third year so I can only tell you my experiences up to this point. (And remember, things may change before you start third year).

My rotations this year are Ambulatory Medicine/Geriatrics, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ob/Gyn, Internal Medicine, Surgery, and Neuro/Psych.

Orientation started June 23rd and was for about a week. Then the first rotation started June 30th. Our rotations are assigned somewhat randomly but we get to pick whether we want our 6 week courses or our 8 week courses first. I chose 6 week courses.

First rotation was Ambulatory Medicine/Geriatrics. Three weeks of Ambulatory Medicine and three weeks of Geriatrics. Ambulatory Medicine is basically outpatient Internal medicine clinics (both general and subspecialties). Hours were 8-5 M-F. In Geriatrics we spent our time split up between days in the nursing home, in outpatient clinic, and spent some time with hospice care. Hours were the same, 8-5. We had lectures all six weeks on Thursday (basically 8-5 lectures with an hour for lunch).
In addition to our time spent in clinics, we needed to spend some time studying. I probably spent two hours a day and 5 hours on the weekend studying.

Second rotation was Family Medicine. We were assigned a clinical preceptor with which we spent most of our time. We also spent half a day in the KU Student clinic and half a day in an underserved clinic. The hours were basically 8-5 M-F.
We had one half day of lectures a week.

Third rotation was Pediatrics. The 6 weeks was split up into 2 weeks of inpatient peds (either "the floor" or the pediatric ICU). I was on the floor. In addition to two weeks of inpatient, there was 1 week of the newborn nursery or the NICU, 1 week of subspecialty clinic, 1 week of urgent care, and 1 week of community clinic.
Inpatient peds hours were about 6am-5am. We had quite a bit of downtime to study. We also had "call" which meant we worked from 6 am-after rounds the next day (around 11 am). I had call 2 times in two weeks, one of wich was a weekend day. Both times I had call I got at least 5 hours of constant sleep.
Hours in the NICU was 6:30am-4:00pm M-F. Hours in the Nursery were about the same, but they also had to spend one day during weekend in the nursery as well.
The weeks in clinic were all 8-5 M-F.
We also had lectures, on average 2 per day (one at 8:00 am and one at noon).

Ob/gyn is the rotation I'm currently in. Its divided into 3 weeks of Ob and 3 weeks of Gyn. Gyn involves mostly outpatient clinic, but also surgeries one day a week. Hours on purely oupatient clinic days were 8-5. Surgical days started at 6:30ish. If the surgery was inpatient (meaning the patient spent the night after the surgery rather than going home), then I was expected to round on my patients before rounds that morning. One week I had three patients and would be at the hospital at 6:00 am for a few days in a row. The other weeks my surgical patients were oupatient.
I just started Ob this week. Its divided up into 3 sections, 1 week of "high risk," 3-4 nights, and the rest were days. High risk hours are about 6:30 to 5:00 (but really most of this time is study time. There is stuff to do in the morning and occasionally the afternoon, but it also has built in study time for the shelf.) Days are from 6:30am-6:30pm. Nights are from 6:30pm-9:00ish (after rounds). The amount of study time available (and the sleep time for individuals on nights) varies based on how busy Labor and Delivery is.

Next rotation (after Christmas break) is Internal Medicine. Its 8 weeks long. I think the hours tend to be from 6am-7pm and there is call every 4 days (or something like that). We will be expected to work weekends. I believe the hours vary based on the options chosen (VA verses KU and general verses Renal/Heme/Onc options: VA < KU and general/renal << Heme/Onc.)

Then is Surgery and the hours are probably similar to Internal Medicine - but call is from home (we will only be called if we are needed and I believe won't typically be called at all). The only difference with this type of call and the other is that we don't have the following day off.

Neuro/Psych is more cush than Internal Medicine. Hours are probably 8am-5pm M-F. I don't believe there is call but I don't know any details.

Hey everyone,

I'm a M1 at KUMC. Post questions if you have any and I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Hey everyone,

I'm a M1 at KUMC. Post questions if you have any and I'd be happy to try and answer them.

hey...i'm thinking i'll probably be living in an apartment semi-close to the med school. any suggestions on which complexes are good?

hey...i'm thinking i'll probably be living in an apartment semi-close to the med school. any suggestions on which complexes are good?

My girlfriend lives in Rainbow Ridge which is an apartment complex that's walking distance from the med center. It's a gated complex, which is a plus considering all of the car-jackings around that area. There's also Vista Condominiums, but I believe they're phasing out their apartment complexes in favor of rennovated condos. Vista has a gated parking garage also and is right across the street from where classes are.

Hey everyone,

I'm also a M1 at KUMC, and I absolutely love it. I chose KU over several other schools, and I'm very glad I did. Feel free to shoot me any Q's.

Congrats on your acceptances.

I just wanted to say "Hey!" and give our thread a little bump. I'm spending some of the long weekend doing my FAFSA (oh yeah, I'm a rockstar!).

Yay for school starting in six months!

When does FAFSA need to be done? I think I've forgotten everything from interview day. Also, where are people living?

When does FAFSA need to be done? I think I've forgotten everything from interview day. Also, where are people living?

The FAFSA is due to KUMed by February 14, 2009 for priority filing.

My husband and I are looking to live in the Prairie Village area. It's hard to seriously consider places now, though, because we won't be moving until the end of May.

Hey 2013ers, I know a couple of my classmates have already posted but just wanted to say hey and see you all next summer! If you guys have any questions about housing or the school or really anything at all feel free to PM me. You guys really made a great choice in KU, I love love love our school!

What's the schedule like the first year? I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about childcare:(

What's the schedule like the first year? I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about childcare:(

I can't really answer about YOUR schedule (although I have no reason to think that its changed since I was in first year) but for us there were lectures from 9-noon every day (attendance not mandatory but most people like to attend lectures initially) and then we would have various afternoon activities 2-3 times on average a week. (Attendance mandatory for afternoon activities.
My kids were in daycare from about 8-5:30 on most days and I had no trouble dropping them off and picking them up.

Second year will be very similar to first year as far as schedule is concerned.
Third year and fourth year are much more time intensive.

Thank you! How many kids do you have? I'm nervous about starting school and having kids. I've never had to be away from them! How did you balance time with kiddos and studying? Any tips?

lilnoelle~
I was just wondering if you had any idea how many people from the 'on hold until march' pool end up being accepted? I was part of that group last year and was waitlisted and ended up missing the cutoff by about 10 people:( I'm really hoping to get accepted this year because Kansas is my number one choice and if I don't get accepted this year I"ll have to go elsewhere. I'm an in-state applicant, did my undergrad at the university of notre dame, and my stats are pretty competitive. Anyway, I also wanted to thank you for all your posts. I've read these forums a lot over the past year or so and I've learned so much from you! (hopefully that's not creepy) haha- thanks in advance for your response!

Hey Everybody,

Congratulations on being accepted! I applied EDP and have been relieved ever since I got the good news. I've been looking into things to get ready and just wondered what everyone was planning on doing for health insurance (or already does for those current students trolling the boards)? I've looked at the stuff the university offers through Regents and United Health Care but didn't know what anyone else had found out.

Not long yet. Only about 5 months!

Argh. I'm getting impatient for the financial aid package, but I just read through some class threads for previous years and it seems like the financial aid office probably won't send packages until late April. Mostly I'm just really eager to start... July seems so far away!

How is everyone else doing? Have people figured out where they're going to live? I'll be in Prairie Village, and my husband and I "practiced" the commute to school from our house and it doesn't seem too bad.

Haha, for health care... I'm married! It makes a lot of things easier (although I'm terrified of the potential Wichita lottery). A sugar daddy (or mommy) is not really a reasonable solution if you're not already headed down that path, though.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say hey to all the 2013ers! You guys are going the love KU, at least I do! To the person who asked about insurance, there is a plan at KU for students. I believe it was $1000 for a year. It was good enough for my needs as a single healthy person but it's up to you to decide that... just make sure you have something lined up by orientation if you choose to go outside of the school.

To the mom with kids, although I'm not a mom there are many parents in our class and they have all manged fine. Honestly this school has an extremely flexible schedule. Many days you do not actually need to be on campus at all, you can podcast. Once or twice a module you will have cadaver lab and have to be there 3 or so hours for that and other small group activities are usually 2 hours max. 2 or 3 hours a couple of times a week average is NOT BAD for med school in my opinion. You will be fine!

Anyway just wanted to welcome you guys and I hope you are all getting excited to start, but enjoy these last few months - trust me at times you will miss them! Feel free to ask if there are any questions at all I can help with.

Congrats to you all that have been accepted to KUMC calls of 2013. I am a first year med student, class of 2012. My advice to you all is to secure your housing early and have a good time, party like never before. Visit places you have always wanted to before the last week of July-09. Since when you start school hardcore partying will be over. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me here or by email.

anybody know when waitlist movement usually starts???