Lab Animal Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDanji

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm looking for some advice on a residency program. I'm finished with school in late September and was wondering if there are lab animal residency programs available before the match in July? My backup plan would be to take a GP job if I have to wait for the match, but I would prefer to start using my skills earlier than later.
Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure there are any. Best bet would be to contact places and see if they'd be able to accommodate an earlier start date or to contact places outside the Match. Unfortunately a lot of fiscal year ends are around July so I'm guessing it might be a budget problem to try to push it too much earlier, though theoretically you could try to sell it as a later start date (but then you'd have to have already matched at this point).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!
I'm looking for some advice on a residency program. I'm finished with school in late September and was wondering if there are lab animal residency programs available before the match in July? My backup plan would be to take a GP job if I have to wait for the match, but I would prefer to start using my skills earlier than later.
Thank you for any advice!
Hi there. I assume you're inquiring re: a start date of July, 2018. I don't know of any programs that are recruiting this late in the season (my own residency position begins on July 2, but the application deadline closed many months ago), but I'd recommend that you keep a close watch on the AALAS CompMed listserv (CompMed). In addition to the VIRMP match, many programs will advertise their open positions via this venue- particularly those outside of the match. This year, ONPRC posted an open residency slot via CompMed long after the VIRMP deadline had passed. Two of the out-of-match programs to which I applied (Univ. of TN-Memphis and UGA) had application deadlines after VIRMP results had been released. Keep in mind that there are also two bona-fide LAM internships that also do not recruit via the match (Univ. of Mississippi and Tufts). This year, both of these programs had application deadlines that occurred after the VIRMP match results had been released (February). One of the difficult aspects of the LAM residency app process (in particular) is that not every ACLAM-approved program recruits every year. Some programs only recruit once every three years. I would take a look at the ACLAM-approved residency list (Training Programs), and compare those programs on the list against those listed on the current VIRMP match page (VIRMP: Program Search). There are many programs listed on the ACLAM page that are not listed on the VIRMP page (i.e. Rochester, Indiana consortium, UC San Diego, etc). These programs may not be actively recruiting at all, or may recruit outside of the match. If they recruit outside of the match, I would go ahead and ask the PD (program director- contact info listed on the ACLAM page), the dates of their recruiting season. Who knows- you might get lucky. I personally haven't seen anything advertised this late, but that doesn't mean that such an opportunity doesn't exist. Just bear in mind that any program you pursue should be ACLAM accredited (if your goal is to obtain board certification via this parent org). Generally, CompMed, ASLAP, ACLAM, and the VIRMP should be your 'go to' resources for everything residency related. Oh- one more thing. I have seen some residencies advertise a start date asap (as opposed to mid-summer). It may be possible for you to secure a position via the Match and start before the summer of 2019, given that you have already secured your DVM degree. Good luck!

So of all things I was asked to post an ad on CompMed for a new post-doc (ie resident) position at UIC (where I'm at) that would start Jan 1. Starting off cycle from the match. Felt totally random to me that this thread was started and then on Friday I randomly get informed by the bosses that we're going to be doing this.

If anyone not on CompMed wants the deets, PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
So of all things I was asked to post an ad on CompMed for a new post-doc (ie resident) position at UIC (where I'm at) that would start Jan 1. Starting off cycle from the match. Felt totally random to me that this thread was started and then on Friday I randomly get informed by the bosses that we're going to be doing this.

If anyone not on CompMed wants the deets, PM me.
Just saw the ad. Interesting for UIC to recruit off-cycle. Great opportunity for the right candidate :)

Reactions: 1 user