Labor market has pharmacy techs in demand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin.Mero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Where have you ever seen a tech started at 18-19/hr? Senior techs making 28-29/hr? Besides California where COL is outrageous... this ain't happenin.

I hope to hear other stories that confirm the above (techs deserve better pay imo), but to my knowledge this article is a joke. My senior techs (19 yrs experience in one hospital) barely made $17.50.

Some places are bumping up techs post tax bill to roughly $13 starting (which I believe is a fair wage for entry).

Members don't see this ad :)
The job market just keeps getting better for Techs, pay continues to rise too!!

Labor market has pharmacy techs in demand - Drug Store News
Techs are in demand for the same reason nurses are in demand, the job is so ****ty that companies cannot retain talent. In my area, up untill recently, you could make just as much working at the local car wash as you could a tech. 8-11 dollars per hour is minimum wage.

The job market just keeps getting better for Techs, pay continues to rise too!!

Labor market has pharmacy techs in demand - Drug Store News

lol every single tech i've worked with will laugh at this article... i have yet to seen a retail company pay a tech more than $20 no matter how long they've worked for the company. I also have seen many techs get fired asking for a raise. My eco prof in college taught us that companies should raise wages based on inflation so i explained that to one of my former techs. She went to the DM to ask for a raise, instead she got moved to a different store lol

lol every single tech i've worked with will laugh at this article... i have yet to seen a retail company pay a tech more than $20 no matter how long they've worked for the company. I also have seen many techs get fired asking for a raise. My eco prof in college taught us that companies should raise wages based on inflation so i explained that to one of my former techs. She went to the DM to ask for a raise, instead she got moved to a different store lol
Some independents pay their techs $28-30/hr, no bene. This is in CA, LA areas. Google CVS pharmacy tech union UFCW 2017-2021. It's also more than $20/hr. You can also look up pharmacist contract, they all get the same pay if they are in the union. Public knowledge.

Some independents pay their techs $28-30/hr, no bene. This is in CA, LA areas. Google CVS pharmacy tech union UFCW 2017-2021. It's also more than $20/hr. You can also look up pharmacist contract, they all get the same pay if they are in the union. Public knowledge.

interesting... yet after working for cvs for 6 years, i have not met a single tech that made more than $20/hr... b/c... they keep getting fired or moved... hmmm....

Thank god. Tech's deserve it. Now if only PharmD pay would go down closer to Tech's pay. IMO pharmacists are over compensated. We should be earning around 40 USD an hour MAX. Hopefully with Tech's checking Tech's we have less errors.

naw. i think techs should get paid more. i say you start a petition for it and get it to the white house!

Reactions: 1 users
Where have you ever seen a tech started at 18-19/hr? Senior techs making 28-29/hr? Besides California where COL is outrageous... this ain't happenin.

I hope to hear other stories that confirm the above (techs deserve better pay imo), but to my knowledge this article is a joke. My senior techs (19 yrs experience in one hospital) barely made $17.50.
I serve on the steering cmte of the largest pharmacy comp survey in the US. I was on our annual call earlier this month and learned that the median hourly pay for a retail tech is $13 ph. The median hourly pay for a hospital tech is $20 ph. While I agree that you will see the highest starting wages in CA for pretty much all professions, I am personally aware of an ad for the VA in Boston paying $20+ ph for new grad techs. We're seeing some techs on the West Coast getting $37+ ph with as little as 3 years of experience. From everything I know, it's not unusual for a new grad tech to find hospital/health-system jobs starting at $20 ph ... and it's only going to go higher!!

WM in my area starts techs with significant exp (10+ years) at 16+ per hour now.
CVS in my area was starting techs at 10.50 for licensed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places are bumping up techs post tax bill to roughly $13 starting (which I believe is a fair wage for entry).
$13 ph for a retail tech has pretty much become the starting wage. After the tax bill was signed every major retail chain bumped wages from $11 ph to $13, a 19% increase! I recently heard that since the tax bill was signed, 1,000+ companies have either increased pay, given bonuses, etc. to their employees. All great news!!

Reactions: 1 users
at the target/cvs i used to work at, there was a tech that worked there for 8 years. once cvs bought out target pharmacy, they told her they would cap her pay at 17/hr since target pharmacies don't have lead tech positions. she was getting 19/hr at target so they gave her an ultimatum to either stay at target for 17/hr or move to another cvs in which case, lead tech position would not be guaranteed but will be available if one opens up. this was wrong on so many levels. she would have to get a pay cut just to keep her job she had for 8 years, let alone not give her any raises unless she moves to work at a crappier environment.... (face it, who in their right mind would want to move from target to cvs lol)

$13 ph for a retail tech has pretty much become the starting wage. After the tax bill was signed every major retail chain bumped wages from $11 ph to $13, a 19% increase! I recently heard that since the tax bill was signed, 1,000+ companies have either increased pay, given bonuses, etc. to their employees. All great news!!

I think overall it's a good thing, but cutting tech hours is still an ongoing problem with many chains. Pay may go up but it evens out if you're cut from 40 to 32 hours. I wish with the tax cuts that pharmacists may see some love, but that's doubtful.

I think overall it's a good thing, but cutting tech hours is still an ongoing problem with many chains. Pay may go up but it evens out if you're cut from 40 to 32 hours. I wish with the tax cuts that pharmacists may see some love, but that's doubtful.
You bring up a great point about the Tech hours being cut. I have been asking and trying to get to heart of why this is happening. I'm being told too of employers, primarily chain retail, cutting Tech hours. At the same time I'm hearing from their HR and field people that they will hire all of the Techs they can get and are not getting anywhere near enough. This doesn't jibe, why the disconnect?

Thank god. Tech's deserve it. Now if only PharmD pay would go down closer to Tech's pay. IMO pharmacists are over compensated. We should be earning around 40 USD an hour MAX. Hopefully with Tech's checking Tech's we have less errors.
You’ve got to be joking. Who would go through all the years of school and debt and stress and come to work at Wags/CVS for less? It just wouldn’t be worth it when you compare other opportunities in the marketplace.

You’ve got to be joking. Who would go through all the years of school and debt and stress and come to work at Wags/CVS for less? It just wouldn’t be worth it when you compare other opportunities in the marketplace.

Just look at the guys post history. Don’t take him too seriously lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

By "compared to other opportunities in the marketplace" are you still referring to pharmacy or something altogether outside of pharmacy? One of the things I have heard over the years is that the PharmD in and of itself is a very narrow degree. If you have a PharmD pretty much everything you're going to be able to do professionally revolves around the delivery of drugs. Thx!!

You bring up a great point about the Tech hours being cut. I have been asking and trying to get to heart of why this is happening. I'm being told too of employers, primarily chain retail, cutting Tech hours. At the same time I'm hearing from their HR and field people that they will hire all of the Techs they can get and are not getting anywhere near enough. This doesn't jibe, why the disconnect?

Tech jobs in most retail locations are high turnover so they are constantly looking to replace people. It's a low paying job (near minimum wage at many establishments) for extremely stressful work, couple that with being told to do more with less via hour cuts compounding on the stress. When I was a tech pre-2010 the highest raise we were allowed to get was 2% and starting pay was a nickle over minimum wage at the time. Most minimum wage jobs are high turnover in general.

By "compared to other opportunities in the marketplace" are you still referring to pharmacy or something altogether outside of pharmacy? One of the things I have heard over the years is that the PharmD in and of itself is a very narrow degree. If you have a PharmD pretty much everything you're going to be able to do professionally revolves around the delivery of drugs. Thx!!
Outside pharmacy. Having a PharmD doesn’t preclude you from having other degrees, experience, or knowledge. But my bigger point is that nobody will want to get a PharmD if the end result is crushing debt, lack of opportunities, and awful wages. Right now we only have two out of three.

Tech jobs in most retail locations are high turnover so they are constantly looking to replace people. It's a low paying job (near minimum wage at many establishments) for extremely stressful work, couple that with being told to do more with less via hour cuts compounding on the stress. When I was a tech pre-2010 the highest raise we were allowed to get was 2% and starting pay was a nickle over minimum wage at the time. Most minimum wage jobs are high turnover in general.
Thank you, I understand what you are saying, however we are seeing wages going up due to the shortage of labor. I can see it's more than trickling down to Techs but know the retail tech is definitely paid less than their hospital counterpart, 54% less actually. With the US at near full employment in that typical tech demo of 18-24, and with the US experiencing its smallest cohort in modern history something will have to change. That or employers are going to get into a wage war then everyone in that $10-$15 ph range is going to win. Thanks again!!

Also, many Pharmacists treat techs like S$&@....some here even seem proud to make them cry...pathetic...amazing how turnover decreases when pharmacists treat techs with respect and dignity, how techs meets higher expectations with the right pharmacists...no mention of money here...

Ok trolls, start your excuses how it’s so hard to find good techs etc etc etc

I started out at $8 and make $8.35 now. I average (part time) around 75 hours/month if I were to guess. This is at an independent. The pay doesn't sound great but to be honest I really enjoy what I do and I don't mind. Moving to CVS and making $11-12 and hour will certainly not be a drawback, as long as I can stomach the work environment and they can work with my school schedule.

Outside pharmacy. Having a PharmD doesn’t preclude you from having other degrees, experience, or knowledge. But my bigger point is that nobody will want to get a PharmD if the end result is crushing debt, lack of opportunities, and awful wages. Right now we only have two out of three.
Assuming you do not pursue a PharmD but pick something altogether different I agree with you! However there are not many professions you can graduate even a 5 year program from and earn six-figures (that aren't already getting crowded). That was true with pharmacy but now that may be changing. We're watching the wages and are now seeing new grad staff pharmacist in retail beginning to trend down. It may just be a dot, only time will tell if it's the start of a trend.

Also, many Pharmacists treat techs like S$&@....some here even seem proud to make them cry...pathetic...amazing how turnover decreases when pharmacists treat techs with respect and dignity, how techs meets higher expectations with the right pharmacists...no mention of money here...

My deceased father often told me, "you meet the same people on the way down the ladder that you met on the way up." Best to be kind to everyone up and down the food chain, you never know when someone could end up being your boss!

Assuming you do not pursue a PharmD but pick something altogether different I agree with you! However there are not many professions you can graduate even a 5 year program from and earn six-figures (that aren't already getting crowded). That was true with pharmacy but now that may be changing. We're watching the wages and are now seeing new grad staff pharmacist in retail beginning to trend down. It may just be a dot, only time will tell if it's the start of a trend.
It’s very unusual today to only do five years for a PharmD. And don’t forget, that would include all summers.

There are plenty of lucrative four to five year options outside pharmacy that would be great choices that can grant you a six figure salary within a few years of graduating and also save you some debt.

I started out at $8 and make $8.35 now. I average (part time) around 75 hours/month if I were to guess. This is at an independent. The pay doesn't sound great but to be honest I really enjoy what I do and I don't mind. Moving to CVS and making $11-12 and hour will certainly not be a drawback, as long as I can stomach the work environment and they can work with my school schedule.
It's obvious you know you're being underpaid but it sounds like you enjoy who you work with and that's worth something. I know the major retail chains all raised their pay 20%+ after January 1 to min of $13 ph. But it's not worth making the change if you like where you are. As you're pre-pharmacy, are you at all afraid of what may be coming from an employment standpoint?

It's obvious you know you're being underpaid but it sounds like you enjoy who you work with and that's worth something. I know the major retail chains all raised their pay 20%+ after January 1 to min of $13 ph. But it's not worth making the change if you like where you are. As you're pre-pharmacy, are you at all afraid of what may be coming from an employment standpoint?
Not really, of course I would rather there be more openings. But I feel like I will still be able to find work if I look in the right places. I don't see myself to be someone who turns their nose up at retail or whatnot. I plan on completing a residency to help as much as possible. I have made a few connections so far, although I don't want to bank on that. I am also willing to relocate, if need be. I feel like if someone enjoys what they're doing they shouldn't change paths just because of over saturation. I know what I'm getting into, at the very least.

It’s very unusual today to only do five years for a PharmD. And don’t forget, that would include all summers.

There are plenty of lucrative four to five year options outside pharmacy that would be great choices that can grant you a six figure salary within a few years of graduating and also save you some debt.
How are these accelerated programs like Larkin completing the PharmD in just 3 years then? I don't disagree that other degree programs can lead to a six figure income but I'm at a loss to think of any that will get you there right out of the box (IT maybe?). Although today a new grad PharmD working less than full-time, as many are, is not reaching even $100K much less $115K+ if full-time.

Not really, of course I would rather there be more openings. But I feel like I will still be able to find work if I look in the right places. I don't see myself to be someone who turns their nose up at retail or whatnot. I plan on completing a residency to help as much as possible. I have made a few connections so far, although I don't want to bank on that. I am also willing to relocate, if need be. I feel like if someone enjoys what they're doing they shouldn't change paths just because of over saturation. I know what I'm getting into, at the very least.
I sure hope you're right! No doubt completing a Residency is all but going to be a requirement to put the odds in your favor of having multiple options. This pharmacy employment market is moving so quickly I'm personally very concerned about the next 3-5 years. I'm a gambler, I take chances but feel they are calculated. Most people I deal with in healthcare are not gamblers, esp with their careers and debt. Every indication tells me the next few years will be tumultuous for new grads. If you have the Residency that helps. If you can get into a hospital, probably better than retail, grocery or mail order. To put the odds in your favor I highly recommend you get out of the setting you are in and get some solid experience outside of your IPPE/APPE's in a hospital. Most any hospital pharmacist can work in a retail store, however most retail pharmacists have a very difficult time making that transition to a hospital. It can be done but we see new grad PharmD's who have no practical experience in a hospital or health-system on their resumes, and if they don't get picked-up by the employer they are interning at the odds of them getting what and where they want are diminished. Just my opinion though and wish you well!!

How do accelerated programs work? They require the equivalent of two years full time prerequisites, then they have the students go full time over an additional three years with no summer break to complete the equivalent of a four year PharmD in three years. That’s how. They cram the experience into a shorter timeframe and get rid of the bachelor’s requirement. Just like programs like this have always done. It’s not the norm though, and for good reason...because knowledge takes time to digest.

Right. Pharmacists abuse technicians. The best technicians (good work skills, good people skills, intelligent and mature) don't last long its not because the way pharmacists treat them its because they can find better employment. When you haven't invested the years of training and aren't earning the money pharmacists do, you move on. You forget most pharmacists have been techs first and I was never abused. Most of the time I was left to work.

We've been slowly giving techs more autonomy so that pharmacists can focus on the sacred clinical duties. No one should be surprised that a chain would rather hire a tech or push for higher ratios - or even rules allowing tech only pharmacies with remote pharmacist supervision. Tech-check-tech and tech vaccinations are just two more steps on our ladder to irrelevance.

My store has been short staffed for at least 2 years. We can't find competent people who want to stay and put up with the BS that patients put them through plus there is no training. The techs' union just got CVS to agree to pay them a min of $11 an hour.

My store has been short staffed for at least 2 years. We can't find competent people who want to stay and put up with the BS that patients put them through plus there is no training. The techs' union just got CVS to agree to pay them a min of $11 an hour.

CVS just raised tech pay across the country.

How do accelerated programs work? They require the equivalent of two years full time prerequisites, then they have the students go full time over an additional three years with no summer break to complete the equivalent of a four year PharmD in three years. That’s how. They cram the experience into a shorter timeframe and get rid of the bachelor’s requirement. Just like programs like this have always done. It’s not the norm though, and for good reason...because knowledge takes time to digest.
The 3 year accelerated program was probably a good idea when a new grad could get a job without even needing a resume, but the way the job market has turned, having no real-world experience on a resume could very well hurt a new grad now. I'll stay in touch with the Larkin program and see how their students fair. I know there are other accelerated programs already operating. I'll go over the AACP list and see which ones they are. Potentially Larkin's timing couldn't be worse given they are graduating 60 students next year then 120 the following year. Thanks for explaining too!!

My lead tech is at $21.50/hr at CVS right now.
That's strong pay for your Lead Tech, no doubt it will just continue to go up! Here is what we have seen since January 1st. Walmart boosted US wages and provided a one-time bonus to 1M+ employees. In February, CVS raised employee wages effectively matching raises by Walmart and Target. In March, US job openings soared to a record high of 6.3M, competition is fierce! Also in March, Walgreens boosted hourly workers pay by $100M per year. In April, Kroger announced it's going to grow its employee base by 11K and increase employee benefits. Costco just announced on June 1st it's raising its minimum wage to $14 an hour.

The 3 year accelerated program was probably a good idea when a new grad could get a job without even needing a resume, but the way the job market has turned, having no real-world experience on a resume could very well hurt a new grad now. I'll stay in touch with the Larkin program and see how their students fair. I know there are other accelerated programs already operating. I'll go over the AACP list and see which ones they are. Potentially Larkin's timing couldn't be worse given they are graduating 60 students next year then 120 the following year. Thanks for explaining too!!

Midwestern University - Glendale, School of Pharmacy's 3 year program is based on taking classes year round, 4 semesters. They do have a rotation calendar as well on this link. https://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_campus/academic_calendar.html

Midwestern University - Glendale, School of Pharmacy's 3 year program is based on taking classes year round, 4 semesters. They do have a rotation calendar as well on this link. https://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_campus/academic_calendar.html
Thank you! I left a message with the ACPE to see if they can send a current list. I searched and found the following list, not sure if it's complete or current

Appalachian College of Pharmacy
Duquesne University
Ferris State University (a 3.5 year option is available to 4 year students)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Massachusetts - Worcester
Midwestern - Glendale
Pacific University
South University
Sullivan University
University of Appalachia
University of the Pacific
University of Southern Nevada

The 3 year list looks right except University of Appalachia and Appalachian College of Pharmacy is the same entity. The 3 year program was a good idea when jobs were everywhere but now you need those summers to network and get your foot in the door for residencies and jobs. I know 3 students that their "decision" was made for them because they could intern more hours during summer so they went the 4 year route. 3 year programs are having the hardest time recruiting and rightly so.

The 3 year list looks right except University of Appalachia and Appalachian College of Pharmacy is the same entity. The 3 year program was a good idea when jobs were everywhere but now you need those summers to network and get your foot in the door for residencies and jobs. I know 3 students that their "decision" was made for them because they could intern more hours during summer so they went the 4 year route. 3 year programs are having the hardest time recruiting and rightly so.
Yes, sorry, I saw that dup after I sent the list. The original text said Albany College but the link went to Appalachia so I changed it. I tried to see if Albany had a 3 year program but I couldn't tell for sure. Hopefully when I hear from the ACPE I'll be able to post a current and complete list. I can see how the accelerated 3 year program had its day but after recently interviewing several out-of-work new grad PharmD's who all attended 3 year programs they universally cited the lack of real-world experience as being one big problem. What the heck is Larkin going to do graduating 180 over the next two years into an already soft job market? I don't expect you to have the answer, lol, just asking rhetorically!!

Right. Pharmacists abuse technicians. The best technicians (good work skills, good people skills, intelligent and mature) don't last long its not because the way pharmacists treat them its because they can find better employment. When you haven't invested the years of training and aren't earning the money pharmacists do, you move on. You forget most pharmacists have been techs first and I was never abused. Most of the time I was left to work.

Never said “abuse”....thank god your reading a forum and not a prescription!

Thank you! I left a message with the ACPE to see if they can send a current list. I searched and found the following list, not sure if it's complete or current

Appalachian College of Pharmacy
Duquesne University
Ferris State University (a 3.5 year option is available to 4 year students)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Massachusetts - Worcester
Midwestern - Glendale
Pacific University
South University
Sullivan University
University of Appalachia
University of the Pacific
University of Southern Nevada

Add Southwest Oklahoma to the list. It was and is quite possible to graduate in 3 or 3.5 if you went summers there. It's not officially that though like Ferris. Florida was once possible, but I think no longer.

@owlegrad you finna take that?!

@owlegrad you finna take that?!

Honestly, what can I say? He is right. Ouch. :(

Although I certainly hope that people realize I am not proud of making techs cry. On the contrary, I am horrified. I do sometimes joke about it but I never meant to come across as proud. Perhaps my sense of humor has painted me in a light I didn't mean it to.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, what can I say? He is right. Ouch. :(

Although I certainly hope that people realize I am not proud of making techs cry. On the contrary, I am horrified. I do sometimes joke about it but I never meant to come across as proud. Perhaps my sense of humor has painted me in a light I didn't mean it to.

If you’re being sincere here.... yes I thought you were proud of it when I’ve seen you post about it. You were the first person who popped in my mind as I read that.

If you’re being sincere here.... yes I thought you were proud of it when I’ve seen you post about it. You were the first person who popped in my mind as I read that.
'
Of course I was the person who popped in your mind, that post was very obviously directed at me, lol. As far as I know I am the only person here who has ever posted about making techs cry.

But obviously I need to be more careful how I joke around. Sarcasm isn't obvious over the internets and I forget that not everyone shares my sense of humor. I also forget that not everyone is going to have read all my posts or recall the full backstory every time something is brought up.