Late admission offers/cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplebunnie

kicking the coke machine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I remember someone posting a while back about getting accepted at Cornell despite being rejected originally. Well I got my phone call Friday and was given the weekend to think. I am more than likely going to give up my seat at Ohio for Cornell as it's been my dream ever since I wanted to go to vet school. I lived in Ithaca for four years as a music student on the other hill and was so upset to leave and come home to CT!

Trouble is, it really comes down to finances now. Has anyone else taken a late admission offer? Has it put you at a disadvantage for loans and the like? I have to call tomorrow with a decision and I'll ask them but wondered if anyone has any insight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

wow... I am really surprised that they are still trying to fill the seats at Cornell. I really don't have an answer to your question but my friend was denied from Cornell and hasn't herd anything yet. Did you go for an interview then rejected or were you initially rejected? I don't think it will effect your loans because you have already applied for them for Ohio I would assume. I would check with the financial aid director at Cornell before you make any decisions though.

Congradulations!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they offer you money (a grant towards tuition, etc.)? They've included financial incentives to many of the students they've accepted off the reject list.

That's great... I will have to let my friend know. Do any of you know how many seats they have to fill yet?

Well the no deadlines thing is reassuring! As is the possibility of financial incentives. Wishing, we may have to form a "Cornell sent out rejections too soon" club.

Yeah I got my call as I was headed out the door for vacation. So now I'm trying to plan the next four years from a cell phone in the middle of the woods in Maine.

I was one of those people initial no then yes. I called Jen Mailey back and told her money was an issue. She put me in touch with Carol Gary in financial aid. They did a finacial aid offer for me and also offered me a need based scholarship which made Cornell as cheap for me as going to Wisconsin. I know after your 1st year at Ohio you can become an instate resident so I don't know if they can help you that much. Jen Mailey may also give you longer to decide if she knows you are working with financial aid.

As for the deadlines it is June 1st but since that is past I'm sure they will make arrangements for those who found out late.

I think Cornell's financial aid department is really great about working with students and making sure things work for them. :) At least from my experiences!

Last edited:
I'm so excited! It's official. Back to hippietown, USA!

Now onto the whole housing thing. Boo!

Good luck with Fin. Aid. They didn't give me a single cent...

Any of you on the listserve yet? Has there been anything on housing? When I lived there five years ago I only had rabbits cause South Hill wasn't very pet friendly.

Yeah, I'm on the listserv and there has been quite a bit of housing talk. I'm already set as far as that goes, but there is one more room in our house. However someone is looking at it today and if she agrees to sign the lease, then we'll be set. But I'm sure there are still others looking...

Wow, and they couldn't even fill off the waitlist? That is pretty unbelievable. I guess if the final deadline was June 1, then there is no hope for a magic phone call like yours...

But congratulations! That is absolutely wonderful!!

What do they budget you for rent? Craigslist is scaring me as far as availability. Ohio figured up to 450 and there was plenty of pet friendly options. I'm not seeing much under 500. They won't put me on the listserve til my deposit goes through.

I think they budgeted ~900 a month for room and board. If you are on facebook the is a Cornell class of 2012 site they also advertise some rooms.

Last edited:
I think they budgeted ~900 a month for room and board. If you are on facebook the is a Cornell class of 2012 site they also advertise some rooms.

That's correct - the budget worksheet they gave us at the info session states $500 rent, $400 board as a guideline.

Housing offers on the listserv seem to have slowed down, but I have seen a few available (I can forward recent ones to you if you'd like).

I would definitely appreciate it! I'm not on facebook. It started after I finished my first college so I never got into it. I'm not too picky on location, I know the area fairly well. I'm mainly concerned with price and making sure my cats can come. :) Thanks for the info and help, I really appreciate it. Do you need my email for the forwards or do you want to PM me?

I'll PM you, I see you're online now - hang on a few minutes while I copy & paste. :)

You are a lifesaver! :) Thank you so much.