Late Apps being accepted at Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Iheartgoldens,

Your username/pic totally brings back memories of my first dog ever. He was amazing, even though my only real memory of him is playing soccer/rolling around with him in the back yard as a little kid.

Good luck with your app, hope it works out!
 
Thank you Bunnity!
I've been haunting SDN :ninja:and my email for the past few days obsessingly..um..okay more than my usual obsessing. I know it won't get me an answer quicker but I like to comfort myself with others positive adcom decisions from this cycle.
:barf:This is gross, yet appropriate.
 
I'm really feeling the love. Thank you. I will of course update everyone once I know (and probably a few times before that)
UofE is an amazing school. Since I'm interested in Lab Animal, it would be perfect!

As far as my goldie, he is such as mush. We rescued him at the age of 8months (he sat in a cage for 3 months prior and had 5 homes by 5months of age). Our fam/friends actually get into heated arguments over who is going to watch him when we go overseas for trips. Our lab mix on the other hand, well let's just say if we could harness his energy we could power most of the 5 boroughs of NYC.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh my goodness!!! I just sent my stuff in to Edinburgh. I can completely sympathize with anyone about how impatient applying to a vet school can make you. I just hope I get it, I really don't want to spend another winter in Alaska....😳
 
I should be finding outt his week. AhhhH!
Gluck to everyone else that's finding out this week as well !!!
 
I wrote out all my class titles and then grades on excel and pasted that at the end of my CV since they asked for it. I'm not sure why though because its the the exact same thing as the transcript but since it was specifically stated in the instructions i did it anyways. I also wrote at the end why some of my grades are TBA because I just had finals and haven't gotten the grades yet.
So are we thinking it takes 4 days for them to make a decision?
And does anyone know when they do if you are guaranteed a spot or if after you send in your official transcript and another LOR you are offered an actual seat? Its just coming up quick and I have no idea what the process of getting a VISA is and travel arrangements, and living arrangements etc...
 
Psjlg2,

I'm in the same boat. I suppose we will know this week as everyone has been notified within 4 days time. Regardless, am I the only one hitting refresh on my inbox every few minutes? 😉
I've been looking into housing, VISA info etc. but finding it hard since I don't yet know the verdict.


I already sent in my official transcript via FedEx and submitted 2 LORs via email. I suppose if I get in, they already have it on file. I'm confused about the formal app as well. Is that just a formality after the acceptance?

Also, am I missing something or is the late application notice on the main page( http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/index.html) now gone? Are they no long accepting applications?
 
Last edited:
I looked last night and it was still there. I think that as long as we submitted our things before the end of today (scotland time) that they will still be considered. In my e-mail from geraldine she said that "Once we have received all the above, your details will be passed to the Admissions Committee here at Edinburgh for further consideration and I will be in touch shortly after that time with more information about what happens
next. I hope to be able to do this over the next few weeks." That was on the 30th of April, so it seems like once they get our apps regardless its a "few week" process. I think they just don't want any more applicants contacting geraldine who haven't already.
 
Psjlg2,

I'm in the same boat. I suppose we will know this week as everyone has been notified within 4 days time. Regardless, am I the only one hitting refresh on my inbox every few minutes? 😉
I've been looking into housing, VISA info etc. but finding it hard since I don't yet know the verdict.


I already sent in my official transcript via FedEx and submitted 2 LORs via email. I suppose if I get in, they already have it on file. I'm confused about the formal app as well. Is that just a formality after the acceptance?

Also, am I missing something or is the late application notice on the main page( http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/index.html) now gone? Are they no long accepting applications?
Oh yeah and I checked my e-mail first thing this morning, but I don't expect anything right away. I'm just a little grateful that its 9 hours ahead in scotland, so its already tuesday when I go to sleep at midnight and by the time I wake up at 8 it will have already been another day over there so I can wake up and hopefully my inbox will be full!!!
 
Yup, that's what I figured. I also emailed on the 30th 🙂
Geraldine replied back to me the next day letting me know everything was forwarded pending my official transcripts which should be there Tuesday.
 
It was there at 6 AM CST (when I found this thread).

Crap, I hope that doesn't mean I'm too late.
 
Oh yeah and I checked my e-mail first thing this morning, but I don't expect anything right away. I'm just a little grateful that its 9 hours ahead in scotland, so its already tuesday when I go to sleep at midnight and by the time I wake up at 8 it will have already been another day over there so I can wake up and hopefully my inbox will be full!!!


Me too! They are 6 hours ahead from me in NY.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I don't know if I should wait for my final grades from this Spring semester to appear on my transcript before I order an official one. Did Geraldine say anything about your app not being considered until your official transcript arrives? I put in my e-mail that I sent with my app that it wakes a while for it to be ordered, and that my final grades from this past semester wont be on there. Eeeeksauce waiting is driving me crazy.
 
Eeeeksauce waiting is driving me crazy.

Just FYI, love that. eeeksauce? amazing. lol😎

In regards to the transcript, I don't have an official copy on hand to scan, only an unofficial copy which I emailed. So I submitted both the unofficial and my official should be getting there by the end of the business day tomorrow. I suppose they will also need a copy of my final transcripts upon graduation which is fine. My school is also kinda slow with this stuff but I needed to beg and plead with them to get a copy. I can only imagine how long it would take after graduation to get a copy:scared:
 
OMG, so I was doing more extensive research on this school now that I'm done with finals....and I'm getting really excited about it! Now I just have to convince my parents that its the better choice over SMU.

Does anyone have links to the tuition/loans/living costs in Edinburgh? I need to know the numbers now that I know the other facts and I can't seem to find it on their website.

Thanks!
 
Regarding the official transcripts you do not have to submit an official transcript to be considered for a spot. You are offered a conditional acceptance first and after that you need to officially apply to the program and submit official transcripts. Hope that makes sense.
 
Haha, just to eliminate any confusion with the time.

Right now, it's 9:23 PM, ie 21:23 over here. Its 5 hours ahead of east coast (I believe someone said 6 earlier).
 
Hrm, thought they were 6 hours ahead.

Either way, they're probably having tea and not responding to e-mails yet. Still haven't gotten anything.
 
It's 12:45AM there right now. They are 5 hours ahead of NYC during Daylight Savings Time.
 
Wow, okay, so I got an email this morning saying that I can enroll in the 4-year programme on the condition that I get an A in my nutrition course (shouldn't be a problem) and with the recommendation that I study some chem/biochem on my own.

This is very exciting, but I have so many questions! Here are a few of them:

1. I take prescription meds- will the UK let me have them? I don't know much about their health plan!
2 *this one is important* hopeful vet- I went back to the "US loans question" thread and wonder if you ever found a good answer about the Stafford limits. Is it truly only 20K/yr for vet students at UofE? With the rest having to be GradPlus loans?
3. How long does it take to get a visa- can I have it by the start date in August? How long to apply for financial aid?
4. Is it too late to find accommodation, especially for the first few weeks (during the fringe festival)?
5. Are we required to have a laptop?
6. Do most US students open a bank account there?
7. Is there any instruction in business/ practice management?
8. Are there differences in technique that might pose a problem when we return? For example, do they teach flank spay or ovieriectomy as opposed to ovariohysterectomy? And if I'm interested in working with farm animals or lab animals, would studying EU laws and regulations be a disadvantage when I come back to the US to work? For that matter, any instruction of legal matters wouldn't be relevant to int'l students, right?

Plus all the little going-abroad things.. transporting my cat and so on.. all that can be worked out though.
 
Last edited:
Wow, okay, so I got an email this morning saying that I can enroll in the 4-year programme on the condition that I get an A in my nutrition course (shouldn't be a problem) and with the recommendation that I study some chem/biochem on my own.

This is very exciting, but I have so many questions! Here are a few of them:

1. I take prescription meds- will the UK let me have them? I don't know much about their health plan!
2 *this one is important* hopeful vet- I went back to the "US loans question" thread and wonder if you ever found a good answer about the Stafford limits. Is it truly only 20K/yr for vet students at UofE? With the rest having to be GradPlus loans?
3. How long does it take to get a visa- can I have it by the start date in August? How long to apply for financial aid?
4. Is it too late to find accommodation, especially for the first few weeks (during the fringe festival)?
5. Are we required to have a laptop?
6. Do most US students open a bank account there?
7. Is there any instruction in business/ practice management?
8. Are there differences in technique that might pose a problem when we return? For example, do they teach flank spay or ovieriectomy as opposed to ovariohysterectomy? And if I'm interested in working with farm animals or lab animals, would studying EU laws and regulations be a disadvantage when I come back to the US to work? For that matter, any instruction of legal matters wouldn't be relevant to int'l students, right?

Plus all the little going-abroad things.. transporting my cat and so on.. all that can be worked out though.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I cannot address a lot of your questions but i know the visa thing is not much of an issue since i don't think you can even apply for one until 3 months before you arrive.

I can definitely give you the skinny on getting you cat over there. If you do not have someone who can care for your cat at least the first term, you will not have enough time to get him/her over there unless you have already completed the rabies titer process. It takes 6 months from the day the blood was drawn before your cat can enter the UK. A 6 month quarantine is an option 😱, but it was not a consideration for me. PM me if you want more details on this aspect. They are very strict on the procedures for microchipping, vaccinating and getting the titer.

Congrats again. UofE is an awesome school!
 
Thanks flyhi- my kitty can stay with my mom until winter break or whenever the process is completed. So even though I will miss him, it's not a deal-breaker. But if it turns out that the tuition savings is negated by getting less favorable loans, or that I wouldn't have the background to work for the US government, etc, that could be...
 
In terms of loans . . . if they work on the same principle as Glasgow and RVC, your Stafford limit is $20,500 per year. $8500 is subsidized (and I think in part subject to your EFIC from your FAFSA), $12000 is unsubsidized. I found a footnote reference in a document (here) which states that international schools may not award the additional $20000. There is no emphasis on the word may, and the sentence structure leaves it unclear as to whether this is a statement of prohibition or a statement leaving the extra funds at the option of the school.

The GradPLUS is unrelated to anything except determination of eligibility (basically no adverse credit history for 5 years prior, with adverse being some pretty major stuff like defaults, bankruptcy, and 90-day delinquencies). The school calculates a Cost of Attendance (COA) which is the tuition + Cost of Living, and you can borrow up to COA per year on GradPLUS. If the school is certified as a FAFSA recipient, then the terms will be the same as if you went to a US school. For loan purposes, it *is* a US school.

Time to apply for financial aid is somewhat important, and tied up in the visa rules. You will be applying for an extended student visa under Tier 4 of the new Home Office rules. Per these rules, to qualify for a visa you must meet 40 points of eligibility. 30 points come from a letter from the school which has accepted you, which must contain certain details (that the school should be well aware of). The other 10 points come from having funds to cover the first year of your course plus 5400 GBP for cost of living (outside of London, for those living in London, you need 7200 GBP). These funds must be in place for 30 days prior to making an application for visa, which can not be done prior to 3 months before planning to enter the country, which can not be done prior to one month before starting your course. Proof of a loan in your name is considered to be proof of funds available.

So . . . backtracking from my course start date (September 28 @ RVC), I can not enter England before August 28, can not apply for my visa before May 28, and therefore must have funds available (i.e., proof of loan) by April 28, if I want to keep this schedule. As is stands, I don't expect to have my loan certified before the end of this week at the earliest - I've been approved, but the school still needs to process the paperwork - so my time-table is pushed back considerably.

Not sure when the Edinburgh term starts, but I would guess substantively later than you would at Tufts. I could be very wrong. 🙂

Most US students (according to RVC) open bank accounts - you need 6 months of bank statements.

I think on the subject of surgical techniques . . . you're not limited to learning techniques while in school, right? so once you're out, if you practice back in the US, you can learn techniques that you didn't learn in school . . . for me, this would not be an issue.

Of course, if you decide to go to Edinburgh, that opens up a seat at Tufts . . . which means that they might look at the alternate list. 😀
 
Last edited:
DollyyLlama-great news about the kitty. Mistoffeles offered up some really good information.

I'm sure hopefulvet will jump in here at some point, but the 5yr program starts on September 22 and i couldn't find an exact date for the GEP, but it starts 5 weeks earlier, so August 18th?

BTW, hopefulvet DID give up a Tufts seat to go to Edinburgh 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, okay, so I got an email this morning saying that I can enroll in the 4-year programme on the condition that I get an A in my nutrition course (shouldn't be a problem) and with the recommendation that I study some chem/biochem on my own.

This is very exciting, but I have so many questions! Here are a few of them:

1. I take prescription meds- will the UK let me have them? I don't know much about their health plan!
2 *this one is important* hopeful vet- I went back to the "US loans question" thread and wonder if you ever found a good answer about the Stafford limits. Is it truly only 20K/yr for vet students at UofE? With the rest having to be GradPlus loans?
3. How long does it take to get a visa- can I have it by the start date in August? How long to apply for financial aid?
4. Is it too late to find accommodation, especially for the first few weeks (during the fringe festival)?
5. Are we required to have a laptop?
6. Do most US students open a bank account there?
7. Is there any instruction in business/ practice management?
8. Are there differences in technique that might pose a problem when we return? For example, do they teach flank spay or ovieriectomy as opposed to ovariohysterectomy? And if I'm interested in working with farm animals or lab animals, would studying EU laws and regulations be a disadvantage when I come back to the US to work? For that matter, any instruction of legal matters wouldn't be relevant to int'l students, right?

Plus all the little going-abroad things.. transporting my cat and so on.. all that can be worked out though.

Ay caramba! Here I am.

1)Yes (as long as it is a legal drug in the UK...but I'm sure it is, because apparently heroine is legal in Edinburgh). And your prescription will only cost you a flat rate of 7 pounds. No matter what it is.

2)Yes, only 20,500/yr. in Stafford, the rest gradPLUS. HOWEVER, even with the additional interest rate, my Dad and I still worked it out to be cheaper when other confounding things are factored in. For example, you won't need to pay for healthcare (the UK is on NHS) or a car at Edinburgh. It depends on your situation. Paying for a cheap car and then car insurance added a lot to the cost of Tufts for me.

3) It can take as little as 2 weeks to get a visa. The timeline Mistoffeles provided is correct, but I have gotten a student visa for the UK before and it is relatively simple as long as you get the right documents in on time. The GEP starts August 10th. This means you can come to the UK no sooner than July 10th. You cannot apply for your visa until May 10th. If your loans are not ready by this time, it's okay. Mine aren't yet either. If you get them ready by mid-June-ish and then apply for your visa, you should have it on time.

4) It's def not too late. I went to edinburgh.gumtree.com, contacted some students who were letting, and got some pictures, and had something definite in a week. If you want to do uni housing, you are guaranteed housing as long as you apply for it by august 9th (or 11th?).

5) I don't think so, but it might be helpful. They have computers at the school you can use.

6) Yes. But you don't need to worry about that till you get there.

7) Yes, just like here.

8) I think that they may teach flank spay there...but most of your surgery techniques will be applied/learned during EMS. You can go basically anywhere you want for EMS. For your clinical EMS, you could come back here to a spay and neuter clinic if you wanted. Also, some drugs may have different brand names there. However, I do not think there is anything that will hinder you from pursuing anything you wanted had you went to Tufts. I don't think you just study EU laws there either. Many of their own local students have aspirations of working in the US, and because they have many US students, they do make sure we are well prepared for our return here (I know I'm not a student there yet, but this is the same thing I've heard from all the Americans I've talked to there). Many of their staff members have also worked in the US and can give you advice on these things. I think it is more of a benefit rather than a concern for me to be learning things two different ways so to speak.

Indeed flyhi, I did turn down Tufts for Edinburgh. In fact I just got a questionnaire from Tufts asking why I did not choose them. DollyLlama, if you're curious as to why, here are my reasons: I wanted to travel more (way more opportunites for that at Edinburgh), I wanted to be in a multi-cultural city, I wanted to meet different kinds of people, it's cheaper, and I wanted an education from a challenging, well-respected university (Tufts is too, not implying otherwise). It is easy for us to be skeptical of international schools (AVMA accredited albeit) because we know less about them. But Edinburgh is consistently one of the top 25 universities in the world (Times Higher Education Rankings- like US News, but for the whole world). So that's pretty damn good. 🙂 Good luck with whatever you decide.
 
I'm sure hopefulvet will jump in here at some point, but the 5yr program starts on September 22 and i couldn't find an exact date for the GEP, but it starts 5 weeks earlier, so August 18th?


I think I saw somewhere that the GEP starts August 10. But I'm not 100% sure on that. So Flyhi, are you going to Edinburgh? Because tomorrow I'll be convincing my parents that I should go! 🙂
 
Thank you very much for all that great info, hopefulvet! Makes me feel better.
I tried doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations given the lower Stafford limit, and it looks like UofE would be cheaper at the current exchange rate, but not if it went back up to 2:1 (where it was until late summer '08). Did you do your calculations based on the current rate?

I found this site with a graph of the exchange rate from march '07 to present, plus forecast for the next six months. I know the forecast is just a guess, but that looks solid for now. For the next four years, though, who knows.
 
Thank you very much for all that great info, hopefulvet! Makes me feel better.
I tried doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations given the lower Stafford limit, and it looks like UofE would be cheaper at the current exchange rate, but not if it went back up to 2:1 (where it was until late summer '08). Did you do your calculations based on the current rate?

I found this site with a graph of the exchange rate from march '07 to present, plus forecast for the next six months. I know the forecast is just a guess, but that looks solid for now. For the next four years, though, who knows.

Actually I made an excel spreadsheet with all the costs laid out in pounds and then multiplied by a different cell entitled "exchange rate." So I can change the exchange rate to whatever and everything will adjust accordingly. Even at the highest exchange rate that it is likely to be (2:1), my monthly loan payments worked out to be $200 cheaper than Tufts. So using the current exchange rate and averaging that with a higher one, Edinburgh comes out to be much cheaper. Another thing to keep in mind is that Tufts can increase your tuition each year. Edinburgh's tuition is fixed in pounds, so even at a high exchange rate (say it goes up to 2:1 after the first year), it is about $42,000. You still save about 8k on that first year, so it would just about even out with Tufts tuition wise. And of course, this is over-estimating the cost of Edinburgh (worst case scenario is you break even).

I also looked at the past trends and forecast for the pound. I am no economist, but I would say it's unlikely to go above 2:1. But living expense-wise, you also need to consider purchasing power parity. Just because the pound is more expensive, doesn't mean you get will get less goods and services for each pound you spend. For example, a drink at a bar might cost you $5 here. It will cost you around 2.5 pounds for a pint...catch my drift?
 
I think I saw somewhere that the GEP starts August 10. But I'm not 100% sure on that. So Flyhi, are you going to Edinburgh? Because tomorrow I'll be convincing my parents that I should go! 🙂

August 10th it is...confirmed.

ARGHHHHHHH... I am in a bind with my pooches. Can't get them there in time and only one person left who i would ask/trust them with, but I just don't know if i can do it. Soooo, i emailed Geraldine last night and made my case for a deferral 😱. If they give it to me, I will accept it, take the time to get myself moved across the country for the next year and save some big coinage by working an extra year (i got into the 5 year program, so additional cost).

I also asked if there was anyway to matriculate there in January and take classes and gain experience to make me eligible for the GEP program next August. I am not too hopeful for either option coming through. If they decline both, then i have a really difficult decision. I may just go through next cycle and apply to my IS and all of the UK schools. I dunno, very stressed at this point.

Your argument to your parents should be an easy one IMHO. Edinburgh is an institution with such history and worldwide recognition. Plus, it's AVMA accredited. I think it's hard for SMU to hold a candle to Edinburgh. I am in no way suggesting that if you go to SMU you will not get a good education, BTW. It's a personal decison and I'm sure you will make the one that is best for you.

Good Luck :luck::luck: and let us know how it goes :xf::xf:
 
I attached the excel thing to this post (hope it worked). I deleted the things that were relevant to only me. You can enter your total undergrad loans in the space provided, everything will recalculate itself as long as you don't change any of the formulas. And you can enter whatever you like for the exchange rate in the box to the right by just highlighting and retyping it. The transportation section under Edinburgh accounts for two round trip flights per year (at an approximation of what they currently cost). The escalation is an estimate of the approximate amount Tufts might increase their tuition by (2% is probably conservative). Also, the transportation under Tufts includes a car costing $8k (delete that if you have a car already) and car insurance for 4 years. And I think I included the cost of health insurance for 4 years under Tufts' tuition (as well as other costs they listed in their acceptance packet).

Sorry this post only applys to dollyllama, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it to a PM...
 

Attachments

Has anyone heard? I sent in my unofficial app around 2am (pacific time) last thursday (ap30). I know today would be the 4th day but I am getting ansy... lol
 
According to Geraldine's email signature, it looks like she only works in admissions Mon-Thur, so Friday nothing may have been looked at.

Good Luck everyone!
 
They took the announcement off of the webpage! Looks like late app season is over. Best of Luck to those who applied!!
 
No news yet. This wait is making me really anxious! There so much to do in so little time...
I KNOW!!! I woke up three times last night because I couldn't sleep and was checking my e-mail. I completely understand, since its May, June, July, August, September term starts. Thats not a whole lot of time, especially moving all the across the pond to another country! Well hopefully we will hear in the next hour or so ( I'm not sure if the end of the work day is 5 or 6 or even 7 over there ) or perhaps we will find out tomorrow.
 
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i cant wait 24 more hours... lol. waiting is such a pain....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hopefulvet, I think Edinburgh might owe you commission!

Received an "Offer of Admissions" via email this morning to the 4-year GEP.

:banana: :soexcited: :biglove:


Will come back and post more a bit later - I'm trying to sort through this financial aid process, and I'm currently in the middle of bewildered. Trying to do it in a hurry to get the necessary Financial Guarantee form in by June 1, and I seem to be going in circles...
 
hopefulvet, I think Edinburgh might owe you commission!

Received an "Offer of Admissions" via email this morning to the 4-year GEP.

:banana: :soexcited: :biglove:


Will come back and post more a bit later - I'm trying to sort through this financial aid process, and I'm currently in the middle of bewildered. Trying to do it in a hurry to get the necessary Financial Guarantee form in by June 1, and I seem to be going in circles...
Congrats!!! That is so exciting. How long did it take for you to get an offer after you sent in your apps? I sent mine in Sunday so they have had it two days, tomorrow will be day #3. I'm very nervous/excited.
 
WAKE UP EVERYBODY.....it's 7:35 AM in lovely Edinburgh and i feel some good new coming across the pond......😍:luck:😍:luck:😍:luck: