Lawyer forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently law school discussion boards have even less moderation than SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apparently law school discussion boards have even less moderation than SDN.

"Just this week, the writer, Blake Neff, responded to a thread started by another user in 2018 with the subject line, "Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?" Neff wrote, "I wouldn't get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no." (The subject line was not censored on the forum.) On June 5, Neff wrote, "Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down." On June 24, Neff commented, "Honestly given how tired black people always claim to be, maybe the real crisis is their lack of sleep." On June 26, Neff wrote that the only people who care about changing the name of the NFL's Washington Redskins are "white libs and their university-'educated' pets." "

Absolutely horrific....and he's the top writer for a conservative opinion show that has the highest primetime cable news ratings in America. But I'm sure he was just one of those few bad apples and not representative of what MAGA is truly about.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering how this has anything to do with anesthesiology?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I thought Xoxohth died like a decade ago. That was a super, super weird place on the internet and was full of real people who could easily, and sometimes were, doxxed. I wonder when it became a racist cesspool instead of a ****poasting law chat.

"Just this week, the writer, Blake Neff, responded to a thread started by another user in 2018 with the subject line, "Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?" Neff wrote, "I wouldn't get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no." (The subject line was not censored on the forum.) On June 5, Neff wrote, "Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down." On June 24, Neff commented, "Honestly given how tired black people always claim to be, maybe the real crisis is their lack of sleep." On June 26, Neff wrote that the only people who care about changing the name of the NFL's Washington Redskins are "white libs and their university-'educated' pets." "

Absolutely horrific....and he's the top writer for a conservative opinion show that has the highest primetime cable news ratings in America. But I'm sure he was just one of those few bad apples and not representative of what MAGA is truly about.

So, Tucker Carlson is responsible for what Neff posts online? Once it became apparent Neff was posting hateful comments on the web he was let go. Is he representative of the majority of those who watch Carlson’s show? I doubt it.

When certain people of the other side of the political spectrum say hateful things I don’t assume they represent the majority either.

Yeah, that’s no good that he felt that way and he posted in that manner. After seeing pictures of that guy, he’s looks like a “keyboard warrior.” He probably couldn’t beat the dirt out of a rug. He’s canceled.

There is no freedom of speech in a private business.

Hopefully Disney will go all in and cancel Hamilton....

Here is why Tucker Carlson is number 1 in cable talk show hosts. He is willing to say what the majority is thinking these days. This particular episode resonates with the viewers.

Reactions: 10 users
So, Tucker Carlson is responsible for what Neff posts online? Once it became apparent Neff was posting hateful comments on the web he was let go. Is he representative of the majority of those who watch Carlson’s show? I doubt it.

When certain people of the other side of the political spectrum say hateful things I don’t assume they represent the majority either.

What sad apologetics you have to engage in. Neff writes the show for Carlson, the most watched person in cable news who the President of the United States of America follows and retweets religiously (in addition to a whole host of other lunatics from Fox News). He watches 7 hours of TV a day and then instructs his bootlicking toadies to come up with policy, sometimes straight from a Tucker monologue if he likes the sound of it. And then 60 million other people nod in their head in approval at an idea that originated from an incredibly racist ****head.

The "few bad apples" argument just gets more absurd as more time goes on.

• Love
Here is why Tucker Carlson is number 1 in cable talk show hosts. He is willing to say what the majority is thinking these days. This particular episode resonates with the viewers.

Pretty sure he's willing to say what his racist misogynistic doxing stalking/harassing head writer is thinking...and saying

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why the rift between Americans just gets bigger each year. The left continues to use "name-calling" and lies to describe differences in political views. 40% of America is not racist or bigoted. These people want a "color blind" society where everyone is treated equal before the law and each person is judged on merit/character not the color of his/her skin. Nobody should be held accountable for the actions or beliefs of the grandparents.

We all admit that the USA is not a perfect place. We have deficiencies and inequalities in our society. Those should be exposed for all to see in the daylight because sunshine is the best medicine to cure those problems. Americans of all political stripes want fairness and equality. Tucker Carlson is appealing to those ideals when he goes on TV before the nation.

Behind each organization like BLM stands the principles on which it was founded. Painting "BLM" on public property and tearing down statues does nothing to change what the true intent of what that organization really is. "Burning it all down" is not how most Americans want the problems in our nation solved.

Reactions: 4 users
Black Lives Matter. This is very true. But, the organization known as BLM is not what most people think they are; they are radical Marxists seeking to destroy our nation. They must be rejected. This is the lie Tucker Carlson is exposing on his TV show. Tucker knows it is only a matter of time before the most powerful political organization in the USA transforms this nation into a second rate country. We must NEVER be afraid to speak up and voice our opinions.

Even when the most hateful organizations march and post disgusting comments we should allow it. We are all better off with open discourse and hearing opinions we despise. In fact, those are the very opinions we should hear in an open society. The time to be afraid is when the left decides to intimidate and scare those who disagree with them. They use political pressure to get people fired and run out of town. These days when a person dares to voice his/her opinion about BLM that person is immediately called a racist or a bigot; all dissent is discouraged and in fact, silenced by the majority. That is not what we need in our society.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree that there are racists in the USA. This small, minority of people probably make up about 5% of our society. But, that small % does not make our country or our laws "systemically racist" to any significant degree. In fact, I would argue that our society has progressed a great deal over the past 50 years towards our ultimate goal of a nation based on merit not skin color. A nation where everyone is equal under the law. I think that we will actually get there one day even if not in my lifetime. But, none of us owe anyone an apology or to take a knee for the color of our skin or our heritage. Equality means all lives matter equally under the law.

The lesson in all of this is that the BLM movement is above all interested in power. It seeks to seize power in part by monopolizing the definition of racism and wielding accusations of racism against anyone who doesn’t fall in line with its radical policy agenda.

That means you’re a racist if you don’t support BLM—and even if you do, you might be deemed a racist anyway. And in that case, you’re fired.

I absolutely agree that there are racists in the USA. This small, minority of people probably make up about 5% of our society. But, that small % does not make our country or our laws "systemically racist" to any significant degree. In fact, I would argue that our society has progressed a great deal over the past 50 years towards our ultimate goal of a nation based on merit not skin color. A nation where everyone is equal under the law. I think that we will actually get there one day even if not in my lifetime. But, none of us owe anyone an apology or to take a knee for the color of our skin or our heritage. Equality means all lives matter equally under the law.

Blade, it’s much higher than 5% at your average trump rally and trump himself is an unapologetic racist. It is hard to believe the POTUS can do this in 2020 and people cheer and defend him. What do you call this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"Now think about what the cost has been of the uncritical support given to Trump by evangelical Christians. For now, focus just on this: Christians who are supporters of the president have braided themselves to a man who in just the past few days and weeks tweeted a video of a supporter shouting “white power” (he later deleted it but has yet to denounce it); attacked NASCAR’s only Black driver, Bubba Wallace, while also criticizing the decision by NASCAR to ban Confederate flags from its races; threatened to veto this year’s annual defense bill if an amendment is included that would require the Pentagon to change the names of bases honoring Confederate military leaders; referred to COVID-19 as “kung flu” during a speech at a church in Phoenix; and blasted two sports teams, the Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians, for considering name changes because of concerns by supporters of those franchises that those team names give undue offense.

These provocations by the president aren’t anomalous; he’s a man who vaulted to political prominence by peddling a racist conspiracy theory that Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States—he later implied that Obama was a secret Muslim and dubbed him the “founder of ISIS”—and whose remarks about an Indiana-born judge with Mexican heritage were described by former House Speaker Paul Ryan as “the textbook definition of a racist comment.”

The white supremacist Richard Spencer, describing the neo-Nazi and white-supremacist march in Charlottesville, Virginia, told The Atlantic, “There is no question that Charlottesville wouldn’t have occurred without Trump. It really was because of his campaign and this new potential for a nationalist candidate who was resonating with the public in a very intense way. The alt-right found something in Trump. He changed the paradigm and made this kind of public presence of the alt-right possible.” And David Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan leader, called the march a “turning point” for his own movement, which seeks to “fulfill the promises of Donald Trump.”

"

"Now think about what the cost has been of the uncritical support given to Trump by evangelical Christians. For now, focus just on this: Christians who are supporters of the president have braided themselves to a man who in just the past few days and weeks tweeted a video of a supporter shouting “white power” (he later deleted it but has yet to denounce it); attacked NASCAR’s only Black driver, Bubba Wallace, while also criticizing the decision by NASCAR to ban Confederate flags from its races; threatened to veto this year’s annual defense bill if an amendment is included that would require the Pentagon to change the names of bases honoring Confederate military leaders; referred to COVID-19 as “kung flu” during a speech at a church in Phoenix; and blasted two sports teams, the Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians, for considering name changes because of concerns by supporters of those franchises that those team names give undue offense.

These provocations by the president aren’t anomalous; he’s a man who vaulted to political prominence by peddling a racist conspiracy theory that Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States—he later implied that Obama was a secret Muslim and dubbed him the “founder of ISIS”—and whose remarks about an Indiana-born judge with Mexican heritage were described by former House Speaker Paul Ryan as “the textbook definition of a racist comment.”

The white supremacist Richard Spencer, describing the neo-Nazi and white-supremacist march in Charlottesville, Virginia, told The Atlantic, “There is no question that Charlottesville wouldn’t have occurred without Trump. It really was because of his campaign and this new potential for a nationalist candidate who was resonating with the public in a very intense way. The alt-right found something in Trump. He changed the paradigm and made this kind of public presence of the alt-right possible.” And David Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan leader, called the march a “turning point” for his own movement, which seeks to “fulfill the promises of Donald Trump.”

"

If you dislike Donald Trump, which you clearly do, then don't vote for him. You are free to post all about Trump's supposed racism and white power viewpoints. But, that doesn't alter the fact that the vast majority of us as Americans don't support racism nor do we have a racist system in place to devalue Black Americans.

I am not a fan of "trumpism" but the marxist movement against Trump isn't the answer this country needs to solve its problems. What we need are reasonable, moderate men and women who seek to make this country a better place for all of us by working within our current system of government.

If you dislike Donald Trump, which you clearly do, then don't vote for him. You are free to post all about Trump's supposed racism and white power viewpoints. But, that doesn't alter the fact that the vast majority of us as Americans don't support racism nor do we have a racist system in place to devalue Black Americans.

I am not a fan of "trumpism" but the marxist movement against Trump isn't the answer this country needs to solve its problems. What we need are reasonable, moderate men and women who seek to make this country a better place for all of us by working within our current system of government.

Blade, his viewpoints aren’t “supposed”.

It's not lost on me that you made the claim that the criminal justice system has treated black people the same since the Civil Rights Act was passed and then just totally ignored the 30 years of peer-reviewed research refuting that ridiculous claim

Last edited:
  • Love

What if he's not actually saying what people think? What if his saying it is what MAKES people think it? Even just a little. Nobody wanted an iPhone until Jobs showed it to them; marketing works. Messaging works. Yeah, there are probably a few real racists out there who have been just laying in the weeds waiting for their spokesperson to appear in the form of TC (and even still, should THAT be an excuse?), but I think if we're honest, we know human behavior is vulnerable to marketing messages that come in the form of "news."

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hmm
Tucker’s supposed to address this on his show today. Good for ratings.

I find it absolutely appalling that an otherwise reputable member in this forum can deny the long history of racism that persists in every facet of [black and brown] American lives today.

What we need to make this country a better place is people who are willing to try to perceive the world through lenses other than their own and to stop minimizing, I’ll be honest, the outright terrorizing of people of color by the majority white in this country.

Not being a loyal follower of the BLM movement is not inherently racist, but totally disregarding the reality of existing as a person of color in America is. This is the problem, right here, in front of our eyes.

I don't deny that America, at one point in her history, was a racist nation. But, that is not America today. I totally disagree that systemic racism exists in the USA in 2020.

Thomas Sowell in 2012:

Racism is not dead, but it is on life support — kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as "racists."

Not being a loyal follower of the BLM movement is not inherently racist, but totally disregarding the reality of existing as a person of color in America is. This is the problem, right here, in front of our eyes.

You don’t think painting the term “racist” with such a wide brush (apparently 40+% of your fellow Americans) isn’t a tad bit intolerant yourself?

Would you say this now common attitude on the left in society, workplace social media (ie you are either with us or against) has contributed at all to the polarization of this country?

seems like doubling down on the “deplorables” path and see what that got us....

You don’t think painting the term “racist” with such a wide brush (apparently 40+% of your fellow Americans) isn’t a tad bit intolerant yourself?

Would you say this now common attitude on the left in society, workplace social media (ie you are either with us or against) has contributed at all to the polarization of this country?

seems like doubling down on the “deplorables” path and see what that got us....

These same people would call Thomas Sowell a "racist" is they could get away with it. Instead, they refer to him as an "Uncle Tom" rather than engage him in a discussion of ideas and facts. Sowell is 90 years old and has actually lived in America when it was racist. Yet, he readily admits that systemic racism doesn't exist today and no nation has created more prosperity for people of every color than the USA.

If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.

Thomas Sowell

• Love
These same people would call Thomas Sowell a "racist" is they could get away with it. Instead, they refer to him as an "Uncle Tom" rather than engage him in a discussion of ideas and facts. Sowell is 90 years old and has actually lived in America when it was racist. Yet, he readily admits that systemic racism doesn't exist today and no nation has created more prosperity for people of every color than the USA.

86% of black people strongly support or somewhat support BLM according to Pew, and I suspect the percentage is even higher if you could poll just black academics. It's the pinnacle of duplicity to single out the <5-10% of those people of color who think systemic racism doesn't exist and then pretend you're making some convincing argument, because what you're really doing is just highlighting a contrarian view which is well out of the mainstream cultural and academic thought of that demographic.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't deny that America, at one point in her history, was a racist nation. But, that is not America today. I totally disagree that systemic racism exists in the USA in 2020.
*sigh*

Reactions: 6 users
I actually agree there is some limited areas of entrenched racism that linger for multiple groups of people (not just black/brown) in multiple directions within the USA. That being said I don’t agree with the media hysteria that this is a massive, tilted system that is literally hunting down black people in the streets, denying qualified black/brown candidates for jobs across multiple industries, incarcerating non-discriminately etc. The magnitude of these issues in numbers matters more than terrible anecdotal cases that run 24/7 on news cycles to argue racism is an epidemic.

The tables posted above clearly show there true, statistical racial inequities among groups in this country... in test scores, admission rates, wealth, jobs etc. But again- does correlation equal causation? Do you take those tables as proof of racism? It would be intellectually dishonest to do that, as we know there are MULTIPLE explanations for disparities.

If that correlation is evidence of causation (systemic racism) - is our country systemically racist against whites as compared to Asians? They seem to do better in most of those tables in terms of employment, scores, etc.

Last edited:
I actually agree there is some limited areas of entrenched racism that linger for multiple groups of people (not just black/brown) in multiple directions within the USA. That being said I don’t agree with the media hysteria that this is a massive, tilted system that is literally hunting down black people in the streets, denying qualified black/brown candidates for jobs across multiple industries, incarcerating non-discriminately etc. The magnitude of these issues in numbers matters more than terrible anecdotal cases that run 24/7 on news cycles to argue racism is an epidemic.

The tables posted above clearly show there true, statistical racial inequities among groups in this country... in test scores, admission rates, wealth, jobs etc. But again- does correlation equal causation? Do you take those tables as proof of racism? It would be intellectually dishonest to do that, as we know there are MULTIPLE explanations for disparities.

If that correlation is evidence of causation (systemic racism) - is our country systemically racist against whites as compared to Asians? They seem to do better in most of those tables in terms of employment, scores, etc.

Your post is EXACTLY how Thomas Sowell would respond to the charts/tables. He has written many books/articles on the subject.

Sowell is a genius. Vector 2 could learn so much from this African American on why the SJW are just plain wrong on disparity in the USA.

"Sowell is the preeminent social theorist writing on the topic of race and discrimination today. He has written a large number of compelling works relating to discrimination, affirmative action, race relations, economics and history, and these works stand as the corpus of a compelling view of human relations. Readers familiar with Sowell’s other works will recognize that he has previously identified this fallacy in many of his books, both when discussing ideologies propounding racial supremacy, and also when discussing ideologies encouraging equality of outcome. In the present work, he ties together his analysis of economic theory and empirical evidence on this topic, in regard to the latter ideology. "

Sowell is smart enough to know we will never get "equality of outcome" no matter how hard we try. It simply isn't possible. He isn't blind to the inequalities and disparities in America; he just thinks the issue is more complicated than most people understand and we can never achieve equality of outcome nor should we expect to do so.

" It is also important that economic and other disparities be confronted, not evaded. Best-selling author Shelby Steele says that whites in America today are fearful of being considered racists, while blacks are fearful of being considered inferior. Social dogmas may be accepted because they relieve both groups of their fears, even if these dogmas neither explain the past nor prepare for the future. "

1594691804977.png

. That being said I don’t agree with the media hysteria that this is a massive, tilted system that is literally hunting down black people in the streets

I'm glad you disagree with something that doesn't actually exist. Or did I miss the memo about LeBron James' hyperbolic tweet regarding the Arbery incident becoming synonymous with the entirety of "the media" ? Seriously, the hysteria about imagined media hysteria has become more real than actual media hysteria.

, denying qualified black/brown candidates for jobs across multiple industries, incarcerating non-discriminately etc. The magnitude of these issues in numbers matters more than terrible anecdotal cases that run 24/7 on news cycle

You're right. The data do matter. Which is why I suppose most of you never substantively address the following which have been brought up numerous times in this forum

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha or Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination
We study race in the labor market by sending fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perceived race, resumes are randomly assigned African-American- or White-sounding names. White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews. Callbacks are also more responsive to resume quality for White names than for African-American ones. The racial gap is uniform across occupation, industry, and employer size. We also find little evidence that employers are inferring social class from the names. Differential treatment by race still appears to still be prominent in the U.S. labor market. (JEL J71, J64)

And, one more time, what I wrote to blade when he laughably claimed that blacks have been treated very fairly by the courts since the CRA

-----
Anti-drug abuse act of 1986 ensured that possessors of crack (mostly black) ended up getting sentences 100x that of possessors of cocaine (mostly white) on a gram for gram basis.

Black male offenders received sentences on average 19.1 percent longer than similarly situated White male offenders

Black male offenders were 21.2 percent less likely than White male offenders to receive a non-government sponsored downward departure or variance during the Post-Report period. Furthermore, when Black male offenders did receive a non-government sponsored departure or variance, they received sentences 16.8 percent longer than White male offenders

Black male offenders received sentences on average 20.4 percent longer than similarly situated White male offenders, accounting for violence in an offender’s past

According to a 2001 study, Hispanics and blacks receive an average sentencing of 54.1 and 64.1 months, respectively, while whites receive an average of 32.1 months.[80] 77,236 offenders, sentenced under the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984,[80] were evaluated to control for extraneous variables other than race, but these findings remain relevant despite the fact that the offenders committed the same offense and received sentencing from the same district court. This finding is consistent across jurisdictions in multiple states within the U.S., and direct discrimination was found to be more prominent at the federal level.[81] There are many theorists who attempt to explain why these disparities exist. Racial stereotypes and related factors such as socioeconomic status may influence the court's perception of the individual as well as its decision-making.[82] For instance, judges may perceive minority defendants as unable to afford fines or probation fees. Consequently, they resort to jail term as opposed to community corrections sentence.

Research also suggests that there is discrimination by the judicial system, which contributes to a higher number of convictions and unfavorable sentencing for racial minorities.[86][87][88][89][90][14][13][91][92] A 2012 study found that "(i) juries formed from all-white jury pools convict black defendants significantly (16 percentage points) more often than white defendants, and (ii) this gap in conviction rates is entirely eliminated when the jury pool includes at least one black member."[88] Research has found evidence of in-group bias, where "black (white) juveniles who are randomly assigned to black (white) judges are more likely to get incarcerated (as opposed to being placed on probation), and they receive longer sentences."[90]

A 2014 study in the Journal of Political Economy found that 9% of the black-white gap in sentencing could not be accounted for.[13] The elimination of unexplained sentencing disparities would reduce "the level of black men in federal prison by 8,000–11,000 men [out of black male prison population of 95,000] and save $230–$320 million per year in direct costs."[13] The majority of the unexplained sentencing disparity appears to occur at the point when prosecutors decide to bring charges carrying "mandatory minimum" sentences.[13] A 2018 paper by Alma Cohen and Crystal Yang of Harvard Law School found that "that Republican-appointed judges give substantially longer prison sentences to black offenders versus observably similar non-black offenders compared to Democratic-appointed judges within the same district court."[93] A 2018 study in the Quarterly Journal of Economics found that bail judges in Miami and Philadelphia were racially biased against black defendants, as white defendants had higher rates of pretrial misconduct than black defendants.[14]

In criminal sentencing, medium to dark-skinned African Americans are likely to receive sentences 2.6 years longer than those of whites or light-skinned African Americans. When a white victim is involved, those with more "black" features are likely to receive a much more severe punishment.[94] A 2018 National Bureau of Economic Research experiment found that law students, economics students and practicing lawyers who watched 3D Virtual Reality videos of court trials (where the researchers altered the race of the defendants) showed a racial bias against minorities.[95]

A 2016 report by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune found that Florida judges sentence black defendants to far longer prison sentences than whites with the same background.[96] For the same drug possession crimes, blacks were sentenced to double the time of whites.[96] Blacks were given longer sentences in 60 percent of felony cases, 68 percent of the most serious first-degree crimes, 45 percent of burglary cases and 30 percent of battery cases.[96] For third-degree felonies (the least serious types of felonies in Florida), white judges sentenced blacks to twenty percent more time than whites, whereas black judges gave more balanced sentences.[96]

A 2014 study on the application of the death penalty in Connecticut over the period 1973–2007 found "that minority defendants who kill white victims are capitally charged at substantially higher rates than minority defendants who kill minorities... There is also strong and statistically significant evidence that minority defendants who kill whites are more likely to end up with capital sentences than comparable cases with white defendants."[107]

----

Last edited:
I'm glad you disagree with something that doesn't actually exist. Or did I miss the memo about LeBron James' hyperbolic tweet regarding the Arbery incident becoming synonymous with the entirety of "the media" ? Seriously, the hysteria about imagined media hysteria has become more real than actual media hysteria.

You're right. The data do matter. Which is why I suppose most of you never substantively address the following which have been brought up numerous times in this forum

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha or Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination

----

I don’t have time to respond to all of your post (will try later), so I’ll start with the first since so many people bring up this study in every thread.

I really wish the authors considered including a bunch of names like “Wang Xui” (common Chinese name) and “Gertrude” (old sounding now uncommon white name) and see how those types of names fare in the callbacks (also listing statistical popularity in US demographics under each name) .

Then they could really parse out whether it’s unconscious racism against blacks or just unconscious bias against “unfamiliar” sounding names. Of course— that is too obvious a method for someone actually doing science without an agenda to warrant even a mention in the discussion....

In the end, I’m all for name-blinding both job screens and admissions to eliminate bias, but that is also somehow “wrong” because “colorblind” is now a racist idea too.

Also if you don’t think the media is part of the problem in creating a disproportionate amount of racial tension ... not sure where you have been living.

Last edited:
I really wish the authors considered including a bunch of names like “Wang Xui” (common Chinese name)

I wish more people would actually read what someone else posted instead of just plowing right on ahead with what they think a source says. Regarding Chinese names, if you had bothered to look at the first link:

"
Asian applicants often changed foreign-sounding names to something American-sounding—like substituting “Luke” for “Lei”—and they also “Americanized” their interests by adding outdoorsy activities like hiking, snowboarding, and kayaking that are common in white western culture.

One Asian applicant said she put her “very Chinese-sounding” name on her resume in her freshman year, but only got noticed after subbing in her American nickname later: “Before I changed it, I didn’t really get any interviews, but after that I got interviews,” she said."

Whatever mental acrobatics you're doing to excuse this behavior by employers by speculating maybe it's this or maybe it's that, in the end you're still trying to justify or explain away employers who racially discriminate.

In the end, I’m all for name-blinding both job screens and admissions to eliminate bias, but that is also somehow “wrong” because “colorblind” is now a racist idea too.

Right. How about you admit that there's even a problem to begin with with racial or xenophobic discrimination in employment before jumping to the other side and spitballing "solutions" to affirmative action.

Also if you don’t think the media is part of the problem in creating a disproportionate amount of racial tension ... not sure where you have been living.

Your initial statement was that media hysteria (which apparently means Lebron James' Twitter feed) was spreading the idea that there was widespread hunting of blacks. And now you're complaining about the media creating a disproportionate amount of racial tension.

A few questions: what is your definition of the media here? How are you defining disproportionate? Are you perhaps being oblivious to the fact that there already was a ton of racial tension in America between various groups and you just don't like the fact that someone is making you aware of it?

Last edited:
So is it bias against the name or the skin color/ethnicity?

For example, a dark skinned man named George Smith May get many more call backs and interviews than an African sounding name. But, if the same person gets the job then is this truly racism? For decades people who came to America made an effort to adopt this culture and leave the old one behind. The melting pot was working as intended. These days SJW expect employers and everyday Americans to bend over backwards to be PC. Employers want employees that fit into our culture and our system. So, I have no doubt those who choose standard American names even if they are just Nick names will be better received than those who retain very foreign names.

I wish more people would actually read what someone else posted instead of just plowing right on ahead with what they think a source says. Regarding Chinese names, if you had bothered to look at the first link:

"
Asian applicants often changed foreign-sounding names to something American-sounding—like substituting “Luke” for “Lei”—and they also “Americanized” their interests by adding outdoorsy activities like hiking, snowboarding, and kayaking that are common in white western culture.

One Asian applicant said she put her “very Chinese-sounding” name on her resume in her freshman year, but only got noticed after subbing in her American nickname later: “Before I changed it, I didn’t really get any interviews, but after that I got interviews,” she said."

Whatever mental acrobatics you're doing to excuse this behavior by employers by speculating maybe it's this or maybe it's that, in the end you're still trying to justify or explain away employers who racially discriminate.

Right. How about you admit that there's even a problem to begin with with racial or xenophobic discrimination in employment before jumping to the other side and spitballing "solutions" to affirmative action.

Your initial statement was that media hysteria (which apparently means Lebron James' Twitter feed) was spreading the idea that there was widespread hunting of blacks. And now you're complaining about the media creating a disproportionate amount of racial tension.

A few questions: what is your definition of the media here? How are you defining disproportionate? Are you perhaps being oblivious to the fact that there already was a ton of racial tension in America between various groups and you just don't like the fact that someone is making you aware of it?

I was specifically referring to the most cited article you linked (Bertrand et al). But the second article actually proves my point - resume readers are biased against names that sound unfamiliar to them (whether Asian or black), not specifically racist against blacks. Unfortunately, this is human nature (to unconsciously be biased against the unfamiliar) and isn’t a result of systematic historical racism or slavery etc.

Despite that study of bias against names, Asians do BETTER in wealth, education and gainful employment than whites, as the poster above illustrated in all those tables. That tells me there is much more important things to address in correcting these disparities than large-scale racism against blacks.

Again, I agree racism against black/brown exists. Just arguing against the magnitude of its existence and doubting how a “victim” narrative actually helps at all.

It’s so much easier to play the victim card and blame racism for the causes of ill in our society. But, I firmly believe as do many others that racism is a minor player as the cause for disparities in America. Education and the family structure are vital to the success of any minority group. This is why Asians in America have excelled in our society.

I was specifically referring to the most cited article you linked (Bertrand et al). But the second article actually proves my point - resume readers are biased against names that sound unfamiliar to them (whether Asian or black), not specifically racist against blacks. Unfortunately, this is human nature (to unconsciously be biased against the unfamiliar) and isn’t a result of systematic historical racism or slavery etc

Nobody ever said black people were the only people getting discriminated against in the job market, so you can save that strawman.

And what are you trying to say with your point about "unfamiliarity?" Are you really going down the road of such extreme apologetics that you're trying to tell me that employers across many different occupations, industries, and corporation sizes in the 21st century are so stupid or ignorant that they don't know that "Wang" isn't overwhelmingly likely to be a Chinese or Asian name or that "Jamal" isn't overwhelmingly likely to be a black name? At the end of the day, you know it, I know it, and the employers know it- certain names are not getting called back by certain employers because of assumptions made about the color of their skin, which is essentially the definition of institutional racism. You can try to spin it as "unfamiliarity" or whatever- but that's just you downplaying a legitimate problem. For godsakes, we still live in a world where Augusta National didn't admit black members until 1990.

Despite that study of bias against names, Asians do BETTER in wealth, education and gainful employment than whites, as the poster above illustrated in all those tables. That tells me there is much more important things to address in correcting these disparities than large-scale racism against blacks.

Even though Asians do face problems with systemic racism, including the president thinking it's appropriate to shout "Kung Flu" in public, it is nowhere on the same level as the racism faced by black people. Regardless, "some people rise to great achievement despite problems with systemic racism so we should just ignore systemic racism..." isn't a very good argument.

We should never ignore racism. It exists and it happens every single day. But, I don’t believe it is systemic racism in the way you do. Most Americans are fair minded and decent people. We all want a level playing field. Let’s work to get there without tearing down our nation or existing governmental structures. Systemic racism is a myth propagated by SJW to move the country left and away from its core principles where all are equal under the law. A nation where all get the same shot at success without forcing one group to kneel to another.

We should never ignore racism. It exists and it happens every single day. But, I don’t believe it is systemic racism in the way you do. Most Americans are fair minded and decent people. We all want a level playing field. Let’s work to get there without tearing down our nation or existing governmental structures. Systemic racism is a myth propagated by SJW to move the country left and away from its core principles where all are equal under the law. A nation where all get the same shot at success without forcing one group to kneel to another.

This is your pure opinion based on whatever limited, narrow social interaction or understanding you have of racism as a middle aged conservative white man in America who's making no attempt to walk a day in another's shoes, and certainly not based on any actual data about employment opportunities, housing, poverty, education, or criminal justice.

• Love