Leadership experience? Teaching English abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CBN713

New Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m a sophomore looking for leadership experience. The organizations I belong in are very large and leadership positions are very competitive. I was wondering if there are any type of volunteer I could do during the summer anyone could suggests that would fit leadership experience? I’m currently interested in teaching English in a Southeastern Asian country. I was wondering if this would be considered leadership experience by medical school?
 
I’m a sophomore looking for leadership experience. The organizations I belong in are very large and leadership positions are very competitive. I was wondering if there are any type of volunteer I could do during the summer anyone could suggests that would fit leadership experience? I’m currently interested in teaching English in a Southeastern Asian country. I was wondering if this would be considered leadership experience by medical school?
You are not leading peers, so no. It would be classified as teaching. If you developed into a role where you managed other volunteers as a coordinator then it would be leadership.
 
I’m a sophomore looking for leadership experience. The organizations I belong in are very large and leadership positions are very competitive. I was wondering if there are any type of volunteer I could do during the summer anyone could suggests that would fit leadership experience?
You might consider joining a Habitat for Humanity chapter and volunteering for a Chair position (Finance, Volunteer Coordination, Food, etc). They tend to do much of their work in the summer, . . . . well, depending on where you live.