Leadership positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I've volunteered at a hospital ER for 150 hrs, started this internship program in another one (going to be 100+ hours when I complete and this hospital is my university's one so hopefully that's a plus), recently started volunteering with the Red Cross, and will start an RA position at another in the summer (100+ hours upon completion). I also volunteer teach at a weekend school, participate in soup kitchens, and work in a comp lab about 15 hours a week.

I realize I have no stand-out leadership positions and was just wondering what qualifies as that?
I know student clubs and such do, but everything I listed above are things I really enjoy doing and I know doing anything related to student clubs would feel like a chore. I've planned events for a younger kids group at my community center, but it's like 5 events max and the hours wouldn't ever break 50 (so not sure if it's too relevant?) Side note: in the internship I manage the nursing station (pick the phone when patients hit the call button, manage the board they've got for CNAs/nurses in the new shifts, and make phone calls/pick up when someone needs someone paged or someones coming from a different unit, and rounding on patients to help with any non-clinical things) in short I do a lot here, and do any of these tasks I do sound like they could be used as a leadership position? Another side note: does job related things count? I train the new workers and I may be promoted to a manager (I could use the raise lol) be considered a leadership position?

Sorry for all the questions but any ideas of what you guys did or in general some things to explore pertaining to leadership positions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holding a leadership position for the sake of leadership isn't going to add value to your application (or your life). You have solid ECs that, even if they aren't "leadership" ECs per se, allow you to demonstrate leadership qualities that can be expanded upon in your application essays and your interview.

I didn't have any "leadership positions" on my application, but I did have teaching experience in multiple venues and showed that I was proactive about instituting change in my volunteering gigs.

Reactions: 1 users