Army Leaving base while at BOLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frugopl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to whether I will be allowed to leave base while at BOLC once done with the day's/week's activities (never been on a base before, no idea how this stuff works, which is why I'm asking) or I'll be confined to the base unless I obtain a pass. San Antonio is a nice city, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

From the BOLC manual:

Weekend passes are authorized. You are required to have a formal pass request (DA 31) for all travel beyond a 50 mile radius, with the exception of Austin, and not to exceed 400 miles per day (driving). If flying, you must attach your flight itinerary to your DA 31.

Probably won't be needing this "formal pass request" if I'm only going downtown. So, how does this stuff work? Just ask the officer in charge if I can leave base for a night and/or weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

After work you and on weekends you can do what you want as long as you are there the next morning. No one requested a pass even when going to Austin for the weekend.

50 miles is Draconian, even considering that you're in a student status, and especially considering Austin is an exception. Oh, so you can go 75 miles to Austin without a pass, but go 55 miles in the opposite direction and you're AWOL? The Army is so donk-ish about this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went in 2011 and we left base pretty much every night that we weren't at Bullis. We didn't have to tell anyone. Just don't do anything stupid and make sure that you show up the next morning for continued power point hell.

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious as to whether I will be allowed to leave base while at BOLC once done with the day's/week's activities (never been on a base before, no idea how this stuff works, which is why I'm asking) or I'll be confined to the base unless I obtain a pass. San Antonio is a nice city, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

From the BOLC manual:

Weekend passes are authorized. You are required to have a formal pass request (DA 31) for all travel beyond a 50 mile radius, with the exception of Austin, and not to exceed 400 miles per day (driving). If flying, you must attach your flight itinerary to your DA 31.

Probably won't be needing this "formal pass request" if I'm only going downtown. So, how does this stuff work? Just ask the officer in charge if I can leave base for a night and/or weekend?
Where can I find this BOLC manual? On MODS, all I see is "Policy Handbook," which only discusses BOLC in chapter 4 and it does not mention this quote.

You can do whatever you want! At least we could a few years ago. And river walk is way nicer now that the Little AIT Hooahs are on restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

BOLC? I am assuming this is officer basic, at least that was it was called when I did it. Anyways, if it is officer basic weekends are pretty much free. No pass is required for down town San Antonio or Austin. I never made it out to Austin when I did officer basic but I went to downtown San Antonio multiple times. Car rentals aren't authorized for the most part per orders. However groups of people go in on renting a car on their own dime. It's not bad but the logistics of getting everyone together and deciding where to go can get old.

Last edited:
While I was there I lived in a house off post that I purchased since BAMC was my first duty station. I have 3 kids and was able to pick them up from daycare every day except maybe 2 and when we were in the field. You will have a pretty easy schedule.