LECOM Elmira, NY 2020 Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acstylin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find a post about this yet. I imagine the invites to the new LECOM campus in Elmira,NY are trickling in for a lot of people. I recently received mine. Who else is getting them? Has anyone gone and want to share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Not an Elmira applicant, but I graduated from Elmira College and lived in Elmira for three years so, if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to ask!

How far is it from New York, NY in actual drive time? What is the city like? Crime? Schools? Can I raise kids there? Cost of living?

Members don't see this ad :)
How far is it from New York, NY in actual drive time? What is the city like? Crime? Schools? Can I raise kids there? Cost of living?
It is about 4 hours west of NYC. I'm originally from Rochester, NY and I've honestly only ever been to NYC once because it's far away. So, it's not really a city. It's very small and once you get about 20 minutes west, east, or south outside of Elmira you are in rural farmlands. Which is nice because Elmira itself is not the greatest so being able to live outside of Elmira is a great option. Crime is also not a great topic. Elmira College is trying really hard. They're buying up a lot of the area around the college and trying to push out the townies, but there is still crime. If you're on campus, you're fine. But if you're trying to walk to like the Sand Dollar at night........ I wouldn't. I would raise kids in Elmira Heights, Big Flats, Beaver Dams, or Pine City. I lived in Pine City with my fiance and our two dogs and it was a very nice area. We had our own property with a large lawn and it was set back from the main road and we paid 695$ a month, not including utilities. Corning is nearby and there's a lot of things to do there. Also, Seneca Lake is nearby and there are a TON of wineries that are really nice and nationally known. My fiance and I are actually getting married at one in June. I recommend Glenora, Rasta Ranch, or Starkey's Lookout. There's the gorges at Watkins Glen that are nice to hike and my fiance still goes home to attend the 6 hour race every summer at Watkins Glen International.

Oh! Also, I asked at my LECOM Erie interview if there would be research available through Elmira College and they said that they have members of the Elmira College faculty who will be accepting LECOM students to work on research with them until LECOM builds their research building. Which is great because the professors there are amazing! I'm still friends with a lot of them. However, Elmira College is a small school (about 1,800 people in total) so they don't have large research labs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
It is about 4 hours west of NYC. I'm originally from Rochester, NY and I've honestly only ever been to NYC once because it's far away. So, it's not really a city. It's very small and once you get about 20 minutes west, east, or south outside of Elmira you are in rural farmlands. Which is nice because Elmira itself is not the greatest so being able to live outside of Elmira is a great option. Crime is also not a great topic. Elmira College is trying really hard. They're buying up a lot of the area around the college and trying to push out the townies, but there is still crime. If you're on campus, you're fine. But if you're trying to walk to like the Sand Dollar at night........ I wouldn't. I would raise kids in Elmira Heights, Big Flats, Beaver Dams, or Pine City. I lived in Pine City with my fiance and our two dogs and it was a very nice area. We had our own property with a large lawn and it was set back from the main road and we paid 695$ a month, not including utilities. Corning is nearby and there's a lot of things to do there. Also, Seneca Lake is nearby and there are a TON of wineries that are really nice and nationally known. My fiance and I are actually getting married at one in June. I recommend Glenora, Rasta Ranch, or Starkey's Lookout. There's the gorges at Watkins Glen that are nice to hike and my fiance still goes home to attend the 6 hour race every summer at Watkins Glen International.

Oh! Also, I asked at my LECOM Erie interview if there would be research available through Elmira College and they said that they have members of the Elmira College faculty who will be accepting LECOM students to work on research with them until LECOM builds their research building. Which is great because the professors there are amazing! I'm still friends with a lot of them. However, Elmira College is a small school (about 1,800 people in total) so they don't have large research labs.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide that info. It's hard to find real experiences online.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide that info. It's hard to find real experiences online.
You're welcome! There are definitely things that I miss about the area (mostly Wegmans), but it just wasn't for me. However, my fiancé grew up in the area and loves going back so I think that it truly depends on what you are looking for from the area. The Elmira College campus definitely is gorgeous and has it's long history (if you don't know a lot about Mark Twain, you will after being in Elmira lol) so I'm sure LECOM will be a great addition to the area! Good luck to you on your interview! And let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
I can't find a post about this yet. I imagine the invites to the new LECOM campus in Elmira,NY are trickling in for a lot of people. I recently received mine. Who else is getting them? Has anyone gone and want to share their experience?

I received an invite as well. When are you interviewing?

Did you get an email to the Erie campus? I’m assuming that’s for the Elmira campus which is being held in Erie?

Yes, I received an email asking if I was still interested in the Elmira campus and they gave me a interview date. The email also stated that they were holding the Elmira interviews on the Erie campus, so my confirmation email was for the Erie campus!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just apply to the Erie campus and they automatically consider you for elmira?

I applied to the Erie campus and I indicated that I was interested in the Elmira campus (I believe on the secondary app) so they offered me an interview for that campus.

I applied to the Erie campus and I indicated that I was interested in the Elmira campus (I believe on the secondary app) so they offered me an interview for that campus.
I am pretty confident I did the same thing.

Can someone clarify if the Elmira campus is only PBL or do they have the traditional lecture curriculum as well?

Being completely from the opposite coast, and looking around at the area for decompressing activities, what is there to do in Elmira? Do the college students go out anywhere, or a particular street/area for dining/bars? I noticed a completely new apartment complex on the river which looks like walking distance to the new campus, are there things to do around there, do you think its safe and would you recommend it? thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone describe what their interview was like please?

Was accepted to Elmira Campus, currently looking at apartments... Would love to find a roommate in order to split rent and afford housing!! DM me if interested :).

Was accepted to Elmira Campus, currently looking at apartments... Would love to find a roommate in order to split rent and afford housing!! DM me if interested :).
Congrats that's awesome!! Was wondering if you'd mind sharing your interview experience? Was it pretty much like the Erie interviews discussed on SDN? Also, was there an optional individual interview or only group?

Congrats that's awesome!! Was wondering if you'd mind sharing your interview experience? Was it pretty much like the Erie interviews discussed on SDN? Also, was there an optional individual interview or only group?
Thank you! I will DM you with more information. :)

Did you all put Elmira as 1st choice on the secondary? I would prefer Elmira campus for 4 year but I also am interested in the 3 year primary care which seems is only at Erie. It is hard to find info on Elmira and I don't know which I should indicate for first choice

Did you all put Elmira as 1st choice on the secondary? I would prefer Elmira campus for 4 year but I also am interested in the 3 year primary care which seems is only at Erie. It is hard to find info on Elmira and I don't know which I should indicate for first choice

I’m having the exact same dilemma...I’m not exactly sure which takes higher priority but I would assume if possible they’ll try to take campus preference from your secondary into account if there’s no space in your highest rank pathway, especially since Erie seems to be the only campus that offers anything other PBL.

I believe someone asked me if I could send them info. on the interview, but then deleted their comment. If you see this, send me a DM and I will send you as much information as I can about my interview. :) Thank.

I’m having the exact same dilemma...I’m not exactly sure which takes higher priority but I would assume if possible they’ll try to take campus preference from your secondary into account if there’s no space in your highest rank pathway, especially since Erie seems to be the only campus that offers anything other PBL.
I emailed the Elmira admission office and told them that I put Elmira as my top choice in the secondary app without knowing that it is a PBL only campus, and that I would much prefer traditional lecture-based pathway. They told me the interview is for all 3 campuses, and based on my pathway ranking (will be done during the interview), I will be placed at the appropriate campus.

My portal still hasn’t been updated as far as I can see. Has anyone else’s been updated who interviewed 1/6?

My portal hasn't updated yet, and I also interviewed 01/06. These were posts from last week on the LECOM Erie thread.

Also there have been people from like December like 12/16 who still haven't received a response yet.
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.42.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.42.53 PM.png

I interviewed on 02/03/2020 at Erie for Elmira Campus...haven't heard back yet.

My admission status: "Thank you for interviewing at the Erie Campus, you will be notified when the committee makes a decision on your application."

Should I be worried? I heard interviews are still being done so I am safe to assume that there are spots still remaining right?

I got an email about canceling all in-person interviews. They are planning on remote interviews and waiting to hear for more details.

• Wow
Anyone accepted to Elmira and somewhere else? How did you decide?

Hi, was accepted to Elmira NY class. I'm a female looking for an apartment, and would like a female room-mate for cheaper rent. If interested, please message me! Thanks.

I just got ‘the decision has been made and can expect letter in mail in about 30 days. Is it a rejection. Cause I noticed people with acceptances got 14 days. Can someone answer

I just got ‘the decision has been made and can expect letter in mail in about 30 days. Is it a rejection. Cause I noticed people with acceptances got 14 days. Can someone answer
I don't think the days matter. I'm not sure why some have 30 vs 14. I would just wait to check the mail. Best of luck.

mail has been sketchy in some places due to the pandemic so they may not know how long it will take to arrive and extended the range you may receive it.

Elmira is a brand new campus and I am told the facilities are not 100% ready yet. I am not sure about the faculty for this new campus. I keep hearing that LECOM might be sharing their faculty between Erie and Elmira and not sure how that will work. I am not trying to scare anyone and just my 2 cents.

For anyone that chose LECOM Elmira over other acceptances, why? I'm deciding between here and another school right now, and my mind is constantly going back and forth

Why did I choose it? Well because it was my only acceptance first. But anyways, pros: cheap, helpful staff/very kind, I actually thought I would initially absolutely HATE IT and went to the interview just cause I had one, but then ended up really loving the staff. When I went for my interview, they stated they have good COMLEX scores, and taking the USMLE is mandatory and they also do well on that. They have a 100% match rate too. Plus, I went to Elmira a week ago... Due to negative comments about Elmira, I thought I would hate it. But I actually enjoyed it. It gave me a somewhat of a peaceful vibe, and everyone was friendly and everything is near each other.

CONS: Nothing too significant I guess? I'm sure there are better DO schools that are more ''reputable,'' or are listed as top 5. You can find more CONS lurking around on reddit/SDN, mainly due to dress-code, drinks in the classrooms, and stuff like that. For me, that isn't a big issue as I stay dehydrated and scarf down coffee and get to stop being lazy and dress up now. Also, since it's PBL, u get to sort of decide how u want to spend ur time.

The facilities are new, but i doubt they're just going to grab some random people without some form of background and start running the school. They have good statistics, they wouldn't want to ruin that. They have been trying to start LECOM in Elmira for a very long time now, spent a lot of money, and are ''well-known.'' So, I'm sure they took that into consideration, because they wouldn't want this to be a complete wreck since all eyes are on them.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users