LECOM-Erie class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was accepted to NYCOM but I didn't have to heart to take out ~$65k/yr and increasing! I guess I'm the only NY'er from NYC! haha

Can't wait to meet all you guys. Erie will be just fine, don't sweat it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Greece, went to Hilton High, and will be graduating from St. John Fisher in May....what about you?

Anybody lookin for roomates?

I'm from Greece, went to Hilton High, and will be graduating from St. John Fisher in May....what about you?

Anybody lookin for roomates?

I'm Greek too. Born and raised here though. I'm glad Erie has a nice Greek Church though. Milas ellinika re?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted a few days ago, and will be going to LECOM in the fall. Now to find out how to pay for it...

I know its still early...but does anyone know/have any advice for living arrangements??

I'm fro NY and just trying to figure everything out online is tough....

Congrats Wlmck, what pathway are you in?

LDP, I ranked PBL #1, but I guess it is full. LDP was #2 though, so I am still looking forward to it. And you?

LDP, It was my first choice, but since then I put myself on the waitlist for PBL. But I'm still happy with LDP

Any of you guys stay at a hotel? Are the hotel prices written on the sheet they send with interview invite letter in the mail similar to actual prices and also do I have to reserve before hand to get those prices or can I do it when I go over there?

I stayed at the Comfort Inn on w 12th street. I drove to Erie so a shuttle wasn't an issue. The rate was $55 plus tax because I mentioned LECOM. I don't know about just showing up or reserving a room in advance if the rate changes.

Hey everyone, I got into LECOM too! They sent me a big packet of forms and along w/ all the million blood tests there are computer requirements??

I've asked around and not many software require 1GB of RAM and my laptop is an Intel Centrino, which is also not an acceptable processor?

Do we really need all that... cause then that'll be another $1500 for a new laptop! And my laptop is only 2 yrs old... :(

Hmmmmm definately didn't get that packet yet.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of you guys stay at a hotel? Are the hotel prices written on the sheet they send with interview invite letter in the mail similar to actual prices and also do I have to reserve before hand to get those prices or can I do it when I go over there?
I stayed at the Comfort Inn on 12th St. and I didn't have a reservation, but they gave me the discounted price when I mentioned LECOM.

Hey everyone, I got into LECOM too! They sent me a big packet of forms and along w/ all the million blood tests there are computer requirements??

I've asked around and not many software require 1GB of RAM and my laptop is an Intel Centrino, which is also not an acceptable processor?

Do we really need all that... cause then that'll be another $1500 for a new laptop! And my laptop is only 2 yrs old... :(
I just got finished with most of that stuff. I just bought a new laptop, but I needed one anyway. I don't know why they require what they do, but they seemed pretty particular. Plus you have to make an appointment to get your computer configured to their network so you probably want to make sure it meets their qualifications before you make a trip to Erie and are told you need a different processor.
And make sure you get the actual 10-panel drug AND alcohol screening. I asked for that but the lab only did 5 drugs and no alcohol, which didn't cut it. Fortunately the lab didn't charge me.
Not so sure why they test for the alcohol, unless they are testing to see if you are dumb enough to do a shot and then get tested.

Your laptop will be fine! Don't worry about getting a new one. There are a lot of kids in our class that don't even use computers. If you are really worried, you could call the IT department, but I'm pretty sure the one you have now will suffice.

I just interviewed and we were told it would take three weeks to hear back, will it really take that long, how long did it take for you guys and how do they notify of acceptance/waitlist/rejection, is it through email?

I just interviewed and we were told it would take three weeks to hear back, will it really take that long, how long did it take for you guys and how do they notify of acceptance/waitlist/rejection, is it through email?
I got my acceptance letter a week after my interview. It fooled me, coming in a small envelope!

I got mine less than a week- we were also told 3 weeks- in snail mail.

I got mine less than a week- we were also told 3 weeks- in snail mail.

Did Dr. Wise say it was going to be 3 weeks? He was the one who told us it would be 3 weeks.

anybody know how often the admissions committee meets, i heard its Wednesdays, is it every Wednesday, every other Wednesday, anybody have an idea?

Anyone else get this primary care scholars packet in the mail today? It's due in a week. More essays to write...

Not yet, I did get an email a while back though regarding PCSP.

yay, I got the financial aid packet today...something i don't really want to be thinking about right now. :mad:

I want to get information!!!!:smuggrin: It's all so exciting, I did talk to Amy who said I'd get the housing info and all that jazz soon...

krbirc03- I was just about to ask you where in upstate NY you are from b/c I went to school up there, then I checked your profile and saw that you went to SLU too!! I graduated in '01. Small world!

Hey everyone. I just got back from Erie trying to look for a place for my wife and I, and our two small dogs can stay. Here's my two cents on the housing. If you want to stay near campus at Laurel Ridge, Highland Park, and I'm guessing anywhere within walking distance of LECOM, you cannot have a small pet, but almost all the places looked nice from the outside. There is a great looking development by Palermo, which are constructing about 10, 2 bedroom townhouses, which includes a tandem garage, fireplace, and hardwood floors which is 2.96 miles from LECOM. It costs $760/month, and probably close to $900 with all utilities, internet, etc. It wouldn't be that bad if you had a roommate. They do allow 2 small pets with no additional pet rent except the initial pet deposit of $300. They are very nice though. My wife and I are seriously considering Landmark square apartments. They look kinda run-down from the outside, however, all the buildings are being renovated, and the insides are very nice with spacious living areas and new appliances. They are running a promotion right now that if you sign an 18 mo or longer lease, you get the first and last month for free. They accept 2 small dogs for $25/mo pet rent combined, and a two bedroom is $625/month. The neighborhood is a little questionable, but a lot of LECOM, Gannon, and other university students live there. It's only 6 miles from LECOM and you get on route 79 almost immediately, so it's pretty much a direct shot. Well I hope that helps someone on here as to where to begin, because my wife and I just spent the last 1.5 days taking shots in the dark. :luck: and see you guys in the summer.

yeah, kind of died down. i suppose some people are still in school, or having fun on spring break or something.
anybody gone to LECOM yet to get their pic taken and have their computer configured and all that?
i'm going later this week.

Hmmm. I haven't received any of that information yet. Though I just sent in my deposit last week though, so I guess it'll be coming soon. I'm going up the 3-23 to look for housing, it'd be nice to tie that all together, it's a looong trip for me.

I'm driving up from Missouri on 3/25 to look for housing as well.

I went and interviewed at UVermont last week and feel 100% certain now LECOM is the school for me. I've officially withdrawn my other apps. I'm trying to get my PCSP essays done with two crazed toddlers helping me. I'd be stoked to get PCSP. Anyone else?

I live close by so I'm not planning on going to get a place until this summer. Is this too late? Everyone else seems to be going right now. I'll be renting a house or townhouse. I need three to four bedrooms for me, my two kids, and my mom. My husband is going o stay in Pittsburgh and I'm moving back down there for the clinicals in years 3 and 4.

Does anyone know if most of the places requiring first and last months rent in addition to the deposit? I am not very liquid before the loan checks come in!

I'm not too sure on the housing stuff, my husband and I are looking to buy and then when we are done, rent it out to future LECOMers. If anyone else is thinking of buying, our realtor is good and helpful.

I went and interviewed at UVermont last week and feel 100% certain now LECOM is the school for me. I've officially withdrawn my other apps. I'm trying to get my PCSP essays done with two crazed toddlers helping me. I'd be stoked to get PCSP. Anyone else?

I live close by so I'm not planning on going to get a place until this summer. Is this too late? Everyone else seems to be going right now. I'll be renting a house or townhouse. I need three to four bedrooms for me, my two kids, and my mom. My husband is going o stay in Pittsburgh and I'm moving back down there for the clinicals in years 3 and 4.

Does anyone know if most of the places requiring first and last months rent in addition to the deposit? I am not very liquid before the loan checks come in!
what made you choose LECOM over UVermont?

hey everyone I have an interview tm...I have already been accepted to MCPHS Boston but am curious about this school it's in state which is a plus so I'll keep you posted maybe I'll be joining every1...will see

Hey everyone...I'm thinking about all the stuff I have to do before I go to school and its scaring me because I don't know where to start. Here is my list:

1. get an apartment in Erie - I don't have any experience in this because my school requires undergrads to live on campus, so I've never been through the process. Although I think I should wait for the housing packet, I'm getting nervous because other people say they are checking out some living situations during their spring break. I just don't know the logistics.

2. Buy a car- I will probably get a good quality used one, but still have to take out a loan. Any suggestions? I have never owned my own vehicle... again I go to a school that views itself as a "walking campus" so I never really needed one.

3. I need to get a LAPTOP... I have a gateway desktop now that I think will die fairly soon. I hear good things about Sony Viaos, but again I am not a computer guru at all.

PS I'm DEAD broke will most likely need loans for all this stuff, but I don't know when the fin aid stuff gets done to get the loans disbursed and pay for everything...should I just wait for the summer and enjoy my senior year?

Please help- I'm totally freaking out

you will get your financial aid about 2 weeks after the first day of class (mid August)

Hi! I have a computer question. I bought a mac G4 powerbook about 6 months ago, and I asked someone at my interview (Amy I think) if it would be ok. She said it was fine and that other students use Macs. Is this true or am I going to need to get a new computer with Windows? I'm going to be so upset if I do! I love my computer!

Thanks,

Jen

I'm pretty sure that's fine. You could call IT and double check. I'm computer illiterate, but if it's that fancy new little white Mac--I've seen people with those.

said it was fine and that other students use Macs. Is this true or am I going to need to get a new computer with Windows? I'm going to be so upset if I do! I love my computer!

I just asked the guy sitting in front of me in class if he has any problems with his Mac and he laughed and pointed at my windows based computer. Once he stopped laughing at me, he said that he hadn't had (I think my grammar is a bit off there) any problems.

Please help- I'm totally freaking out

This was a PM in response to above, but I figured that everyone could benefit from my blabber, so here goes...

Apartments - Look now so that you can get your first pick rather then settle. You have to figure out if you want a roomate (and if you do, then find one now) or you want to live alone. I knew that I wanted to live alone and to have a garage, so I picked Lakeview Apartments through Maleno. Best choice ever, a bit on the more expensive side (for singles, for doubles they're average), but they're new, you can safely rent one without seeing it, and you cannot beat not having to scrape your windshield or unbury your car every morning for 3 months straight. Plus thier friendly maintenence man helps me whenever I break anything, even if it has nothing to do with thier appliances. If you want more on these apartments, PM me.

Can you wait until the info comes out from school? Sure, lots of people do, but I wanted everything settled so I had less stress. I knew where I was living and had payed my deposit in May, and I moved in a half a month early so that I could be settled prior to school starting. This was a very good thing, I would reccomend it. Then you guys can all hang out together before school starts and come in and get your computer done and ID picture taken.

Cars - I would get whatever you will be able to budget and will work for you, without going crazy on a really expensive vehicle. Make a budget and go from there. You need to figure out how much you will be spending a month on food, car insurance, car payments, books for school, gas/electricity, etc. I can give you estimates if you want this. One you do this, you can figure out how much you can afford for monthly payments on a car. If you put more money down initially, then your monthly payments will be less.

I bought a honda used certified CRV and am really happy with having 4 wheel drive up here (I've heard other people say that it doesn't matter, but I also get phone calls from those people asking if I can pick them up on the way to school). Buying something used, but certified, means that you're covered if something happens to it mechanically for however many years the warranty goes for (2 years for mine). I tried to plan for being poor the rest of my life, so I wanted a car that woul last for the next 8 years (school + residency) if need be.

Laptop - Good luck with that. I bought an HP and it works great. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with thier computers. Everyone gets all worried about the needed computer specs, but honestly, your computer is just for you and what you will need. I have no idea why they put out those specs. The only thing that makes sense is that they want to protect thier network and they therefore require security software. Beyond that, ask a dorky friend to help you.

About being broke - Phone a friend or family member and see if anyone will spot you some cash until loans come in or get a job this summer. You need a security deposit and first months rent for most apartments, but some will let you wait until loans come in because they love LECOM students because they know that we get loans to pay for rent and won't screw them. You need to put money down for a car so that your payments are less. You need money for stuff in your apartment. You need to eat something other than Ramen noodles.

First things first...honestly, sit down and make a budget using the $ on LECOMs website that you get in loans for our class (2010) if your class' numbers aren't out yet (http://www.lecom.edu/lecom/admissions/finaid.asp). Then go from there. If you can't bum money out of any of your loved ones (remind them that you can give free medical advice and osteopathic manipulations following this investment), then go to your bank and see what your options are for a short term loan until you get your loan money for school. Also, get a credit card if you don't have one because then you can buy a computer, books and everything you will need for your house last minute and be able to pay it off once you get your loans (you just have to time your purchases in the same billing period that you will get your loan money in). Check out PNC bank, they are the most popular with the students here (there's a mac machine in our cafeteria).

You can buy books from the bookstore at school (they sell for the same price as Amazon minus the shipping), but I often found mine used for cheaper (Amazon, Half.com, eBay, other students). I'm LDP, so I bought a lot of my books, but many of my classmates didn't. Sara, the bookstore guru can send you out a book list when it comes out for you guys.

Also, make sure that you do a credit check ASAP so that you are good to go on that one. I know a student in my class who's identity was stolen and when she applied for loans for school she was denied. It took her the first few months of school to work that out.

Any other questions, just ask. I'm learning about the lumbar spine right now. Pelvic tilting, its thrilling. As always, PM me with further questions, if I don't know I can direct you to someone who does.

what made you choose LECOM over UVermont?

1) Location--my family is here in western PA. I am from here and really like it here. I also want my kids to grow up around my family. And my fam can held me with my kids when things come up.

2) Career goals--My goal is to get a primary care residency here in western or central PA. LECOM is a good choice for that. I looked up severel residencies I'm interested in and they all had LECOM grads in their program. I'll also be able to swing ausitino rotations which I couldn't if I went to UVM ebcause of childcare.

3) Money---LECOM costs significantly less. A nice bonus.

4) Students--- I'm not looking forward to the administrative troubles I hear about, but all the LECOM students I've talked to have been great and have really helped me out. They also say the faculty is good for the most part and the clinical education is strong. So I'll put up with the other headaches.

This was a PM in response to above, but I figured that everyone could benefit from my blabber, so here goes...

Apartments - Look now so that you can get your first pick rather then settle. You have to figure out if you want a roomate (and if you do, then find one now) or you want to live alone. I knew that I wanted to live alone and to have a garage, so I picked Lakeview Apartments through Maleno. Best choice ever, a bit on the more expensive side (for singles, for doubles they're average), but they're new, you can safely rent one without seeing it, and you cannot beat not having to scrape your windshield or unbury your car every morning for 3 months straight. Plus thier friendly maintenence man helps me whenever I break anything, even if it has nothing to do with thier appliances. If you want more on these apartments, PM me.

Can you wait until the info comes out from school? Sure, lots of people do, but I wanted everything settled so I had less stress. I knew where I was living and had payed my deposit in May, and I moved in a half a month early so that I could be settled prior to school starting. This was a very good thing, I would reccomend it. Then you guys can all hang out together before school starts and come in and get your computer done and ID picture taken.

When you claimed the apartment in May: 1) Did yuo just have to put a deposit down, or also first month's rent? 2) Did you move in in July? I wasn't clear on that from your post.

When you claimed the apartment in May: 1) Did yuo just have to put a deposit down, or also first month's rent? 2) Did you move in in July? I wasn't clear on that from your post.

I pestered the Maleno people until they put me on the wait list for apartments to become available because I wanted a single and I wanted to be sure that I got a place (there's only a handful of singles in the Lakeview development). I put down a deposit and the first months rent to reserve my place (the deposit was one months rent) in May when they called me.

I moved in July 8th and school stuff started on the 29th. It was a bit early, but I enjoyed the calm before the storm. Also, call the cable people ASAP, because they are super busy and you want your internet to be up and working fast. I learned the city a bit, figured out where to buy food, all the fun stuff. Plus, I met a lot of my fellow students as they moved in and was able to help show them around Erie. Bikini time at Presquile was also a must.

Just found out I was accepted to ISP. super excited, see you guys in the fall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.