LECOM-Erie class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no possible place that has walk in closets around there...right? Its a dream I have....can't give them up.....:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

No walk-ins that I know of. However, Lakeview does have 2 large closets per bedroom!

No walk-ins that I know of. However, Lakeview does have 2 large closets per bedroom!

They don't allow pets, I have a big puppy. Do you know of any other places like that with bigger closets? I've had a walk in since 1997, even in college luckily, and I have so much stuff that I've always put in there, I don't know what I'll do without one!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apartment for Rent
:)
2624 Chestnut Street
2nd Floor
Erie, PA 16508.

$485 + utilities

Available: June 15th

Spacious 2 Bedroom 2nd Floor includes:
Furniture
Newly remodeled kitchen
Appliances (stove, fridge, washer, dryer)
Newly remodeled bathroom
Spacious living room and dining room
well-finished hardwood floors
French doors open to private 2nd floor balcong
Vent-free natural gas log fireplace
Free off-street parking
Spacious backyard
Only blocks away from St. Vincent Hospital and 2 miles from downtown.

Monthly Rent : $485 + utilities
Available June 15th

Forward all inquiries to:

Geraldine Miller

814-899.4443 (home)

814-882-7010 (cell)

Anyone know where the majority of people do their banking in Erie? I think I will need to switch banks so that I can have easier access to my checking/ATM when I am in Erie. Any suggestions?

You won't be deprived of banks in Erie, believe me.

PNC has an ATM in the school cafeteria (very convenient!). Also, loan checks clear the next day and they have several locations near the school.

OK, either I am totally lame or raising a 10 month old!!
I will be joining the class of 2011. My husband, daughter and I will be moving from Boise Idaho. Yes, I said Idaho.....
Does anyone have any advice on finding apartments and just any info about Erie? My husband and I are both from the West Coast and this will be a new experieince.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting fellow classmates in July

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive 1 or 2-bedroom apartment, on grandview blvd past the school, there's a place called Pastore Realtors, they have some nice places to rent. I rented a 1-bedroom place for $410 a month, there were quite a few LECOMers living in the plan, it was a good bargain.

Is this Glenwood Towers? I'm looking at their website and the cheapest place is $660.

What does everyone do in terms of furniture? I don't own any now because I've always lived in furnished places.

It seems like it would be a hassle to drag it around to rotation sites...or do you live in dorms on rotations?

Are pets doable? I know I'd have time since I'm ISP, but I'm wondering more about clinical rotations and housing then.

Does anyone know if Mill Glen, Royal Villa, Appletree Apartments, or Carlton Court apartments are ok? They're in the Millcreek area.

I just want a 1BR place for around $400/mth in an area that's safe and gets plowed quickly in the snow. Covered parking is a plus.

I will be joining the class of 2011. My husband, daughter and I will be moving from Boise Idaho. Yes, I said Idaho.....
Does anyone have any advice on finding apartments and just any info about Erie? My husband and I are both from the West Coast and this will be a new experieince.

Another Idahoan! I'm from Burley, ID!

Good source for apartments: http://www.rentalguideerie.com. Houses here are real cheap too, if you plan on sticking around for a bit, that might be the way to go.

As for general info about Erie - http://www.ci.erie.pa.us/ , http://www.tourerie.com/ , http://www.eriepa.com/ , http://www.goerie.com/

If you have any questions about Erie, school, moving, etc. feel free to PM me and I'll tell you everything I know!

With a 10 month old you might want to go with a house with a yard. Once the toddler years hit, you'll be grateful for a place for him/her to burn off some energy!

I'm currently looking for a place with a yard myself so I will PM you if I find anything out (a good realtor, etc.) I am renting, not buying. It sounds like you're renting too.

Congrats and welcome to the LECOM Class of 2011! There seem to be a lot of parents. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited, I'm heading up to Erie April 20th for 2 days to look at some townhouses/houses. Scary though that school will be so soon!!

Glad there are other moms attending. We are definately looking for a 2brm place with a yard (we have a small dog too). We are planning on going in June to look for a place. Please let us know if you find any good info.

The school owns a few houses with yards and what-not near the school. You should try calling the school if you haven't already and see if any are available for next year. The houses are actually available through Millcreek Hospital, but the school can direct you to the proper people.

You should also join the SASN club when you get here - lots of activities for families and kids!

I was told specifically that the houses owned by LECOM are not available for students. One of my interviewers told me about the houses during the interview and I got really excited. A rental house with a yard is exactly what my wife and I want, especially for our 3 yr old and 6 month old. When I told Amy in the admissions office, she said that she had never heard of it but that she would check around. I also contacted the student affairs people, and both sources gave me the same answer; LECOM students are not supposed to even know about the houses, they are for doctors only.

My family and I drove up from Missouri last week to check out the housing situation in Erie. All of the houses for rent that we could find were either gross or way too expensive. It seems that all of the decent appartment complexes in the area are either full or have one or maybe two vacancies, and none of them have any models to show. We had two different people from two different management companies who just knocked on doors until they found an appartment where no one was home, and then gave us a tour of someone's home. We felt like burglars. What if someone had been in the shower or otherwise occupied?

It appears that almost anything with more than one bedroom is set up like a town house, many of which have two sets of stairs. Even the ranches have a set of stairs. I don't mind stairs, but my wife is starting to panic about small children tumbling down them. We did find a couple of places that we really liked, but they are of course not available yet. We are confident that we will find a good place to live especially after the semester ends and a big chunk of LECOMers move out.

www.goerie.com is the online version of Erie's newspaper. They have houses for rent listed there (although it took me a while to find them!) The link for the rental houses is:

http://www.zwire.com/site/?MCCatID=...s=50&geoloc=16509&AdTypeID=&RecordsPerPage=10

OR, you can go to www.goerie.com, then Classifieds, then scroll halfway down on the right it says Real Estate, and under that there's a section for "Houses for Rent" along with duplexes and condos. Hope that helps.

There's lots of affordable housing within a few miles of the school so you shouldn't have to live in a dump or fork out a ton. If you have school age children, Millcreek schools are better than Erie City, otherwise, you can't tell the difference if you live in Erie or Millcreek. Try to avoid lower east side--sketchy! Upper east side and west side are better bets. When I moved here I found that Erie could go from super sketchy (guy BBQing at 8am Saturday morning of front lawn/driveway while 3 naked children ran on the llawn) to very affluent within a couple blocks. Again, probably best to stay above 30th st, although there are some nice areas near the lake.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Yep, definitely stay away from the lower East side (lower than 38th or so) it gets a little sketchy. The west side is nice, anything from about 20th on up!

First off, congrats to everyone getting into med school!!

I'm a current MSII at LECOM and I'm looking to unload some of the larger items I have in my apartment. If anyone is interested in these items, just send me a PM and we can work something out. I'm willing to let a lot of the stuff go for cheap because I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting a truck to move everything back with me to NJ.

This is what I have:
-couch/love seat set
-kitchen table set (w/ 4 chairs)
-large bookcase (can be used as a TV stand too)
-4 drawer dresser

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Is there an academic calendar ANYWHERE online? I was curious about how long you get for breaks and other dates and I cannot find one anywhere!

Also can we use our own health insurance? Does the school have a plan?

I just want a 1BR place for around $400/mth in an area that's safe and gets plowed quickly in the snow. Covered parking is a plus.

I lived in a 1-bedroom apt in a complex called Alpine Village out by Millcreek Mall. It is owned by Pastore. Here's a link to the 1-bedroom places. There were about 5-6 LECOMers in my class alone that lived in Alpine Village which worked out well for meeting people. They are unfurnished but the places are nice, a good price, good location and the people are friendly. There was a pool and stuff in the complex, which was nice for most people, but I took off over the summers.

http://www.pastorebuilders.com/alpine/alp1br.html

Looks like the prices went up slightly since i was there, but it also looked like they are newly renovated. $430/month for a one-bedroom is still a steal.

I lived in a 1-bedroom apt in a complex called Alpine Village out by Millcreek Mall. It is owned by Pastore. Here's a link to the 1-bedroom places. There were about 5-6 LECOMers in my class alone that lived in Alpine Village which worked out well for meeting people. They are unfurnished but the places are nice, a good price, good location and the people are friendly. There was a pool and stuff in the complex, which was nice for most people, but I took off over the summers.

http://www.pastorebuilders.com/alpine/alp1br.html

Looks like the prices went up slightly since i was there, but it also looked like they are newly renovated. $430/month for a one-bedroom is still a steal.

Out of curiosity, do they allow pets?

I want to say no. My building didn't at least. There were multiple buildings in the complex though. But I doubt it.

Is there an academic calendar ANYWHERE online? I was curious about how long you get for breaks and other dates and I cannot find one anywhere!

you get wed, thurs, fri off for thanksgiving. 2 weeks for winter break (come back 1st monday in jan). no spring break. 2 months (give or take a week or 2 for summer break). that's it for the 2 years you're here.

about health insurance...i'm pretty sure you can stay on your own insurance plan but they change things every year here so i can't say for certain.

you get wed, thurs, fri off for thanksgiving. 2 weeks for winter break (come back 1st monday in jan). no spring break. 2 months (give or take a week or 2 for summer break). that's it for the 2 years you're here.

Yikes. And I thought that PCP Pathway sucked for having no vacation. Looks like it's no real change from the norm.

Why so little time off? No wonder students there are so frustrated. Their PR might be better if students had a few more days off to fight burn-out.

Yikes. And I thought that PCP Pathway sucked for having no vacation. Looks like it's no real change from the norm.

Why so little time off? No wonder students there are so frustrated. Their PR might be better if students had a few more days off to fight burn-out.

one thing to know about LECOM before you go there is that they try their hardest to give you as little free time as possible. there have been times where we had a 3 day weekend because of distance education and they rescheduled things to have 1 live lecture that day so that we had to come in. this only happened once or twice during the past 2 years but it happened and it was annoying but you come to accept it as part of "LECOM's charm."

about health insurance...i'm pretty sure you can stay on your own insurance plan but they change things every year here so i can't say for certain.

Does the school have a health/dental insurance plan?

Does anyone know of apartments that have covered parking or storage?

one thing to know about LECOM before you go there is that they try their hardest to give you as little free time as possible. there have been times where we had a 3 day weekend because of distance education and they rescheduled things to have 1 live lecture that day so that we had to come in. this only happened once or twice during the past 2 years but it happened and it was annoying but you come to accept it as part of "LECOM's charm."

*sigh*

The more I hear about this school, the more worried I get. But I don't really have any other choice, because I'm only accepted at LECOM-E and LECOM-Br (and I didn't pay the deposit at Br).

*sigh*

The more I hear about this school, the more worried I get. But I don't really have any other choice, because I'm only accepted at LECOM-E and LECOM-Br (and I didn't pay the deposit at Br).

It's just 2 years and from other threads on this topic, it really isn't that big of a deal. You should be happy, you're going to be a doctor. :)

Apartment for Rent
:)
2624 Chestnut Street
2nd Floor
Erie, PA 16508.

$485 + utilities

Available: June 15th

Spacious 2 Bedroom 2nd Floor includes:
Furniture
Newly remodeled kitchen
Appliances (stove, fridge, washer, dryer)
Newly remodeled bathroom
Spacious living room and dining room
well-finished hardwood floors
French doors open to private 2nd floor balcong
Vent-free natural gas log fireplace
Free off-street parking
Spacious backyard
Only blocks away from St. Vincent Hospital and 2 miles from downtown.

Monthly Rent : $485 + utilities
Available June 15th

Forward all inquiries to:

Geraldine Miller

814-899.4443 (home)

814-882-7010 (cell)

I lived on the first floor of this house, and will tell you all right now- you would be a fool not to check it out. It is an awesome place that I would have stayed in for 3rd and 4th year if I did my rotations in Erie.

*sigh*

Relax! Things will be fine. :)

Some kids focus on all the ****ty things that go on around here and are miserable. Others, such as myself, just go with the flow and are the hap-hap-happiest people around.

Your choice.

The school will try to sell you on their health care plan and tell you it's "required." I believed them and got the school's policy (through Highmark).

However, I've heard from numerous people that the school can't "require" you to have any certain insurance, just that you have it. :confused:

Does the school have a health/dental insurance plan?

They have a health insurance plan, but not dental.

They also have a deal with a local ophthalmologist (Dr. Crane) for cheap contacts and vision exams (the exam is free and contacts you get for cost).

When I was at my interview for LECOM-E I was a little discouraged by the fact that according to the student we met with that students only have two weeks after MSII to study for the first round of boards. However, I also noticed after looking at LECOM's student calendar online that LECOM schedules Kaplan prep classes the last couple weeks of MSII to prep for the boards. Anyways my questions...Is this new at LECOM? Do other D.O. schools have similar programs? Do students feel that they have enough time to prep for the first round of boards given that they have the Kaplan test prep rather than lecture?

Just curious...thank you in advance for any info!

Relax! Things will be fine. :)

Some kids focus on all the ****ty things that go on around here and are miserable. Others, such as myself, just go with the flow and are the hap-hap-happiest people around.

Your choice.

I'm the happy type! Really, because things look so bleak on this thread. I would dread spending time around a bunch of depressed students 24/7...becoming a doctor or not, that would suck. But if people have fun, that's all I want! Work hard and fun!

Pineapple- I'm the happy type too. I also think that given the number of responses this LECOM thread has, there are a lot of other happy types that we'll come in to contact with. :)

When I was at my interview for LECOM-E I was a little discouraged by the fact that according to the student we met with that students only have two weeks after MSII to study for the first round of boards. However, I also noticed after looking at LECOM's student calendar online that LECOM schedules Kaplan prep classes the last couple weeks of MSII to prep for the boards. Anyways my questions...Is this new at LECOM? Do other D.O. schools have similar programs? Do students feel that they have enough time to prep for the first round of boards given that they have the Kaplan test prep rather than lecture?

Just curious...thank you in advance for any info!

The prep course isn't new. Some D.O. schools do this as well. Some don't; for example, CCOM did a study showing no significant difference in board scores between prep course and non prep course.

I have to agree with you both!

I think that no matter what Med school you go to there are going to be problems and stress...I for one am someone who works hard...but also finds the times to just chill and have a good time...when life gives you lemons...cut them up and put'em in a corona! ;) ....

Put your name under the pathway you're doing! This way we'll know who we're gonna be studying with!

ISP
Pineapple (might try to switch to PBL)

PBL

LDP

Put your name under the pathway you're doing! This way we'll know who we're gonna be studying with!

ISP
Pineapple
Midazolamb

PBL

LDP

Limes go in Corona, lemons go in Honeyweiss. Why switch to PBL over ISP, both seem sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.