LECOM-Erie Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if LECOM offers financial aid or scholarship opportunities to families? My wife is working at a childcare center and our son was born at the end of April. We're crunching numbers and it's going to be REALLY tight when I stop working to attend school.

Yes, LECOM offers both need- and merit/service-based scholarships. They also offer work study, which might not be appealing to you with a little one at home (congrats!), but if anyone else is curious, I know that you can work in the library for work study. The pay isn't great (I think it's $7/hr) but you basically get paid to sit and study. One of my friends does it, and she says she gets a lot of work done when she's there.

Hope this helps! This is what LECOM has to offer. You can always look for outside scholarships too -- I wish I had done more of that. While it's true that a lot of scholarships seem like chump change in the grand scheme of things, every little bit really does help. And when you consider that your loans may have doubled or tripled with interest in the time it takes you to pay them off, even taking out a few thousand dollars less a year is going to make a big difference in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was at MCH, there wasn't any learning going on really. It was a terrible experience, one that left a very bitter taste in my mouth for that place... Hamot got picked up by UPMC, so rotations will likely be changing there, probably not for the better either. The VA is, well, the VA and kind of a last resort for Erie rotations. I've heard great things about Saint Vincent though, and Meadville.

Heh... the best service is Geri, you learn allot there. Many... MANY of the residents at MCH are lazy and with the exception of ortho, optho, ENT, and either families living in the area or from the area most residents at MCH didn't pick this as their first or second choice... I'm just saying

Can you guys give any info about the San Diego sites? Would you be able to do all 3/4 year rotations there?

I've had friends do all their rotations out there but it is expensive and there is no housing so you must find housing for yourself. Also transportation is a must because you WILL need a car so if you want to go out there consider gas expenses in your budget as well

Members don't see this ad :)
It was for early clinical experience. Maybe it was a bad day, maybe I was with atypical residents and students, but I wasn't impressed. Word of mouth is that Hamot and Meadville are much better local choices. Saint Vincent was good as well, but I don't think they're accepting LECOM students any more.

It probably wasn't a bad day, it probably was a typical day at the creek

If any current students could recommend child care, please PM me. If you know of someone who has a kid in day care, I would appreciate some sort of contact info. In-home, center, church, whatever. Time to explore the options....

Hi everyone!

Just got my acceptance to LECOM-Erie ISP. I am from Buffalo and have 3 kids and a fiance who will be staying in Buffalo. I do plan to co-rent an apartment for myself in Erie during the first 2 years so that I have a place to stay when I need to and especially for the first 12 weeks. Any input on my situation? (moving my kids and fiance is not an option. We just built a new house and are moving there in July, so they are here and I will be commuting as I can) I was considering buying the Step 1 audio review that has 300+ hours of review so I can listen to that while I drive. So I'm not wasting drive time on days I do go back or forth.

St. V's got shut out because of things Students did. It may reopen at some point.

I really should get back to studying, step 2 us soon. Bleh

I was recently informed that St. V's will be back in 2013.

Hi everyone!

Just got my acceptance to LECOM-Erie ISP. I am from Buffalo and have 3 kids and a fiance who will be staying in Buffalo. I do plan to co-rent an apartment for myself in Erie during the first 2 years so that I have a place to stay when I need to and especially for the first 12 weeks. Any input on my situation? (moving my kids and fiance is not an option. We just built a new house and are moving there in July, so they are here and I will be commuting as I can) I was considering buying the Step 1 audio review that has 300+ hours of review so I can listen to that while I drive. So I'm not wasting drive time on days I do go back or forth.

The 1st 12 weeks will be the hardest for you, but after that the only reason you will have to come to Erie is for OPP, H&P, and meetings. You probably will not need to study while driving. Us ISPers have a lot more free time than the other pathways! My roommate's husband lives in Pittsburg and she commutes all the time. She has never complained about her 3 hr commute getting in the way of studying.

Hey all:

When I interviewed last July I remember seeing a list that showed several rotations throughout the SE (SC, GA, ?maybe NC? and of course lots in FL).

I have a husband and a house in SC and would like to know more about rotations in the SE if anyone has done them. Ideally I would like to set up a large portion of my third year in the SE as he will be staying here and I kinda like him.

Lisa

There are rotation sites in FL but the Bradenton kids get dibs on those before we do. I looked at the core sites for my class and there wasn't any south of WV. I wouldn't plan on doing them in SC unless you can set something up with a hospital there. They have to be willing to take other students though and I've heard its a pain in the ass to set up a core affiliation agreement.

The 1st 12 weeks will be the hardest for you, but after that the only reason you will have to come to Erie is for OPP, H&P, and meetings. You probably will not need to study while driving. Us ISPers have a lot more free time than the other pathways! My roommate's husband lives in Pittsburg and she commutes all the time. She has never complained about her 3 hr commute getting in the way of studying.

Great! Thanks so much! Others keep telling me I need to be in Erie 24-7 and study all of that time too.

Members don't see this ad :)
St. V's got shut out because of things Students did. It may reopen at some point.

I really should get back to studying, step 2 us soon. Bleh

Yikes. No matter how you cut it, that doesn't sound very good.

I was recently informed that St. V's will be back in 2013.

That would be an ideal time for those of us starting this year!

In other news, only 7 more nights of work for me. Vacation, then LECOM awaits....

Great! Thanks so much! Others keep telling me I need to be in Erie 24-7 and study all of that time too.

It depends on how you are at managing your time and how good of a student you are. I work with a group of 11 students and we divide up the objectives so that cuts down on the workload tremendously. In order to do this you have to find people you trust! If you are a person that needs to study all the time to understand concepts then those other people are correct in what they told you. I don't have this problem, but I know a couple of people that have to study everyday in order to pull off decent grades. You will have to figure out what works best for you.

I signed a lease on a charming flat on Holland St today. Sure, it looks a little sketchy, but the landlords live upstairs and seem nice without being too clingy so I'm happy! Also glad somebody else will be shoveling snow...although I have to park on the street. I may regret that. Hmmm...Oregon girl (western Oregon=not much snow) in Erie winter...might need some real boots. But the bayfront was lovely this afternoon!

It depends on how you are at managing your time and how good of a student you are. I work with a group of 11 students and we divide up the objectives so that cuts down on the workload tremendously. In order to do this you have to find people you trust! If you are a person that needs to study all the time to understand concepts then those other people are correct in what they told you. I don't have this problem, but I know a couple of people that have to study everyday in order to pull off decent grades. You will have to figure out what works best for you.

Sounds good! What do you mean divide the objectives? That sounds like a good idea, but just wondered what exactly that entails. Thanks!

Sounds good! What do you mean divide the objectives? That sounds like a good idea, but just wondered what exactly that entails. Thanks!
We get modules that list the chapters we're assigned to read. With each chapter, there is a list of objectives (questions) to answer. The test questions all come directly from the objectives. So if you study and learn them well, you're pretty much set (except for the few professors, like the anatomists, that write vague objectives on purpose to force you to learn all of the material.)

Does anyone have an opinion on xoom vs ipad?

You won't need one at all for school. Not even during the clinical years, so if you were planning on getting one because you think you'd need it for school. Think again.

Noe if you just want to get one I'll ask one question, ok more than one. Which device has the better OS? honeycomb was supposed to be the dedicated OS for android tablets but that has been delayed. So all android tablets are coming with the Android OS bolted on (a phone OS that was modified for the tablet)

I wouldn't get a xoom but then again I love my apple products. I just don't think there is a worthy competitor to the iPad out there yet.

Thanks Slevin. I have all apple stuff and love the ease of syncing, but I also have a droid phone and like the google syncing better, that is why I'm even considering something other than an ipad. I would only be interested in wifi and I'm not even sure if xoom is available as wifi only w/o 4G plan.

Hello all,

I'm a first year PBL in the process of signing a lease for a 2 bedroom apt with Maleno Developments (Lakeview apts) for June 4th
http://www.malenodevelopment.com/apartments/lakeview.html)

I'll be bringing some common furniture including sofa, TV, dining table and laundry machines (there is a hookup in the basement, don't want to sell my current pair, just bought a few months ago). There is a once-car garage as well that will be shared, I hear the winters are crazy. I'm looking for someone without pets and easy-going. Email me if you are interested, [email protected]

-Swami

Any current students have any recomendation on what books we will need to buy for the first 2 weeks of classes before loan disbursement? PBL-erie. Im assuming we need mostly Anatomy, but there are also alot of resources on the booklist, any recomendations?

Any current students have any recomendation on what books we will need to buy for the first 2 weeks of classes before loan disbursement? PBL-erie. Im assuming we need mostly Anatomy, but there are also alot of resources on the booklist, any recomendations?
Only books you'll need for the anatomy block are Gray's Anatomy, an atlas, the lab guide from the bookstore, and the embryology guide from the book store. There's one chapter of embryo only covered in the book--pool money and buy a used one with some friends for a few bucks and share it. Use the PowerPoints for histology. You could easily get through the first week without books, it's mainly orientation with histo and embryo in the afternoon. Anatomy starts the second week, but I don't think lab starts until the third week.

Hi everyone! I just was accepted to the LDP at Erie and I was wondering what is the general timetable that some of you are planning to actually move to Erie; providing you have to move at all of course.

Hi everyone! I just was accepted to the LDP at Erie and I was wondering what is the general timetable that some of you are planning to actually move to Erie; providing you have to move at all of course.

Congrats! I live about 7 hour drive and didn't really want to drive in to look for places so I just called maleno (lakeview village) and pastore (across from the school) and got on the waiting lists.. I got a place at lakeview and I actually move in early July

Question:

Is ISP together with LDP for everthing in the beginning or only anatomy and embryology?

Question:
Is ISP together with LDP for everthing in the beginning or only anatomy and embryology?
Everybody takes OPP, H&P, and some of the other smaller courses together (Human Sexuality, Intro to Clinical Medicine, Et Cetera) through both years of preclinical education, and everybody is together in LDP for the first thirteen weeks of OMS-I for anatomy, embryology, and histology (the only exception to that is PBL who have a different gross anatomy lab.) Expect to be at the school all morning and parts of the afternoon during anatomy block. Once you move into ISP modules in October though, you'll only have to be at the school a few hours a week for OPP lab and a few lectures here and there.

Does anyone know anything about the one bedroom apts in Maple Lane, Mill Glenn or The Plymouth apts? I know I'm looking late so a lot of the apartments closer to campus and (i assume nicer) are taken. I dont have time to go out there to look at the place before i sign a lease so any information (safety, space, cleaniness, etc) would be VERY helpful. Thanks!!

Maple Lane and Mill Glenn are both in pretty safe neighborhoods. Can't say anything about the actual apartments though, as I've never been in one. However, Mill Glenn is near the Granada development, which has a really bad reputation (not sure if they're owned by the same people or not, but that could be a gamble.) Plymouth is in an okay neighborhood. I don't think you'd have a problem there, but it's definitely going to be a bit more "urban" compared to the others that are closer to Millcreek. Ideally, stay in Millcreek if you can, but definitely avoid going east of Peach/State Streets for sure if you look in Erie city. The west side of town is, for the most part, a much better place to live.

Maple Lane and Mill Glenn are both in pretty safe neighborhoods. Can't say anything about the actual apartments though, as I've never been in one. However, Mill Glenn is near the Granada development, which has a really bad reputation (not sure if they're owned by the same people or not, but that could be a gamble.) Plymouth is in an okay neighborhood. I don't think you'd have a problem there, but it's definitely going to be a bit more "urban" compared to the others that are closer to Millcreek. Ideally, stay in Millcreek if you can, but definitely avoid going east of Peach/State Streets for sure if you look in Erie city. The west side of town is, for the most part, a much better place to live.

I don't think Mill Glenn and Granada are owned by the same people. Thanks so much for the help!

Hi again, I just received the matriculation packet from LECOM Erie campus and it says that all students using an Apple comp use it at their own risk. Does anyone know if it is truly necessary to have a PC? Besides lecture notes what other communications necessitate a computer? I just bought an Apple at the beginning of this year and I really, really, really don't want to buy another comp.
If I do have to buy a new PC does any1 have any suggestions for cheap but good PCs?

Thanks in Advance!:help:

Hi again, I just received the matriculation packet from LECOM Erie campus and it says that all students using an Apple comp use it at their own risk. Does anyone know if it is truly necessary to have a PC? Besides lecture notes what other communications necessitate a computer? I just bought an Apple at the beginning of this year and I really, really, really don't want to buy another comp.
If I do have to buy a new PC does any1 have any suggestions for cheap but good PCs?

You will have no problems using a mac. Many of my classmates use them without any problems at all.

The only reason they want us to have PC's is that if there is a problem, the IT dept can troubleshoot. But they don't have anyone who knows Mac's.

However, if you do want to buy a PC, they are running a special. Buy a windows 7 pc, get a free xbox! :smuggrin:

The only reason they want us to have PC's is that if there is a problem, the IT dept can troubleshoot. But they don't have anyone who knows Mac's.

However, if you do want to buy a PC, they are running a special. Buy a windows 7 pc, get a free xbox! :smuggrin:

I wouldn't trust the IT dept with anything anyway. Their best solution is to erase the hard drive and start over.

Hey everyone,
I have been trying to find an apartment in Erie and I was wondering about the Montagna Bros properties, Canterbury Hills and Northview Heights apartments. Does any1 have any experience or advice about these locations?
As always thanks in advance for the advice!

Hey everyone,
I have been trying to find an apartment in Erie and I was wondering about the Montagna Bros properties, Canterbury Hills and Northview Heights apartments. Does any1 have any experience or advice about these locations?
As always thanks in advance for the advice!

Don't know about those but I did live in. Landmark square for two years and I liked it

I'm moving from Illinois and will probably be completely settled in by early to mid-July. I'm moving into one of the Pastore apartments across the street from the school. Where are you moving from?

Late acceptance to lecom...Anyone still trying to fill a room? I assume its going to be pretty tough to get any places near campus now. Any insight would be great. PM me or post reply.

I'm moving from Illinois and will probably be completely settled in by early to mid-July. I'm moving into one of the Pastore apartments across the street from the school. Where are you moving from?

I am only moving in from Pittsburgh. So, the move is not that big-a-deal; however, I still don't have a place yet. I am going back up to Erie again to check some places out again.
You have a great place with the Pastore apartments. They are perfect for student life!
See you campus soon.

Hi everyone, I'm a 2nd year medical student and am looking for a roomate for next year. I live in the Pastore apts right across LECOM and the rent is $705 which is then split. If interested let me know and I can give you some more info.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

First of all congrats on getting into LECOM, I hope you're all enjoying your summer!

I wanted to let you all know that my current roommate and I are looking for a third roommate for our condo. We live in a great neighborhood close to LECOM. Some info about the place:

-3 bedrooms
-2.5 bathrooms (you would have your own bathroom)
-2 car garage
-FURNISHED!!
-snow and lawn service
-washer and dryer
-deck with grill!
-OMM table
-fireplace
-2 second year roommates to help you J

-$400/month

It's a great place and we are pretty easy going. We are looking for a non-smoke and we aren't allowed to have pets. If you are interested or want pictures, more info or to check the place out e-mail me (Tristan Wade) [email protected] ! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi again every1,
I recently was told by Pastore rentals that I have been approved for one of their rental properties. But, they told me because I am a student that I owe a security deposit (which equals one month's rent), the first month's rent AND the last month's rent before I can move into the apartment.
Is this a common practice? Has this happened to any1 else?

Thanks in advance

Hi again every1,
I recently was told by Pastore rentals that I have been approved for one of their rental properties. But, they told me because I am a student that I owe a security deposit (which equals one month's rent), the first month's rent AND the last month's rent before I can move into the apartment.

Thanks in advance

Thats what I received from Pastore. My dad told me that's not uncommon so I think you're okay :)

Hi again every1,

Thanks in advance

I have heard of it before, but the places I checked in Erie only needed a security deposit and first months rent (I needed a place that allowed pets).

Hey Guys,

Congrats on the acceptances again. Wanted to say we are still looking for a third roommate. I'm gonna be a second year next year and we are looking for a third roommate since our current one is heading off to rotations. The house is student owned, and is less than a mile from the main campus. 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, full kitchen and living room with all the furnishings. You'll only have to worry about buying furniture for your bedroom. Washer and Dryer. Two car garage. Rent is 320 bucks not including utilities (usually comes out to be 80 bucks a month per person).

Another major plus is that our neighbor usually plows for us in the morning, even with all our snow I had to pick up a shovel 3 times all winter. Also, you will have one PBL student and one LDP student as a roommate which will be a great asset for you in terms of advice for either pathway.

Good luck finding housing and enjoy your last couple of months off! PM me or email me ([email protected]) and we can schedule a time for you to see the house. I also can have photos of the house.

Alex