LECOM-Erie Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just accepted to LECOM last week, and now I have to scramble to get everything done and move by the start of classes.

My wife and I are going to be driving up and looking for apartments for rent. Our goal is to get a 1 bedroom for a couple of months while she looks for work and we try and apply for a loan for a condo.

Any suggestions?

Any websites for apartment complexes?

LECOM's suggestion of http://www.rentalguideerie.com seems to be populated by landlords described as scam artists in earlier posts.

--Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sean,

I would check out Maleno Developments, not sure if there are any apts still available. Also, craiglist as well, I found some decent places when I was looking for a place

I was just accepted to LECOM last week, and now I have to scramble to get everything done and move by the start of classes.

My wife and I are going to be driving up and looking for apartments for rent. Our goal is to get a 1 bedroom for a couple of months while she looks for work and we try and apply for a loan for a condo.

Any suggestions?

LECOM's suggestion of http://www.rentalguideerie.com seems to be populated by landlords described as scam artists in earlier posts.

--Sean

Any suggestions?

--Sean

also try pastore

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all -

Im moving into a laurel village apartment on July 3rd and relative just donated some of her old furniture to me so I will be coming with a small uhaul of stuff. I was wondering if anyone would be able to spare about 1 hour to just help me move a few things that I can't do alone. Most of it I can do myself it's just a few things that I can't do. If anyone would be able to help or knows of a service I can call please let me know!

Thanks so much

Any suggestions?

--Sean

Try checking out Kolb realty. I had a 900 sqft 2BR apartment for 600/mo.

We rented a great townhouse for $640/mo through Pastore Brothers.

I highly recommend them: http://www.pastorebuilders.com/index.html

Just tell them you are a LECOM student, and they will help you out because many students rent through them. They own many townhomes. The ones near lecom are: Willowood, Alpine Village, Laurel Ridge & Laurel Springs, Winchester

If I were you I would just rent and not by a home. Rent is very cheap in Erie. Also, if you are not planning to stay in Erie for clinical rotations I would hold off buying. But if you really want a home, then wait until you pass 1st year.

Hey all -

Im moving into a laurel village apartment on July 3rd and relative just donated some of her old furniture to me so I will be coming with a small uhaul of stuff. I was wondering if anyone would be able to spare about 1 hour to just help me move a few things that I can't do alone. Most of it I can do myself it's just a few things that I can't do. If anyone would be able to help or knows of a service I can call please let me know!

Thanks so much

Hey! Let me know if you still need someone to help you move some stuff in. My boyfriend and I are just hanging around Erie and live close to campus. I'll volunteer us to help you!

Hey! Let me know if you still need someone to help you move some stuff in. My boyfriend and I are just hanging around Erie and live close to campus. I'll volunteer us to help you!

Thanks! cant explain how awesome it is of you to offer! i feel bad asking and i appreciate your offer!

Ill PM you details.

We rented a great townhouse for $640/mo through Pastore Brothers.

I highly recommend them: http://www.pastorebuilders.com/index.html

Just tell them you are a LECOM student, and they will help you out because many students rent through them. They own many townhomes. The ones near lecom are: Willowood, Alpine Village, Laurel Ridge & Laurel Springs, Winchester

If I were you I would just rent and not by a home. Rent is very cheap in Erie. Also, if you are not planning to stay in Erie for clinical rotations I would hold off buying. But if you really want a home, then wait until you pass 1st year.

I just hate the idea of paying rent for 4 years. I would think that buying a property now (especially in a buyers' market) would be advantageous, especially near a medical school with a ready supply of renters.

I currently rent out my childhood home in Massachusetts. I do it through a property management agency, and it's been working out fine.

Is there a lot of class atrition after 1st year? What is the pass/fail rate?

--Sean

I just hate the idea of paying rent for 4 years. I would think that buying a property now (especially in a buyers' market) would be advantageous, especially near a medical school with a ready supply of renters.

I currently rent out my childhood home in Massachusetts. I do it through a property management agency, and it's been working out fine.

--Sean

Can't exactly answer your questions but from what I understand an absolute majority of med students leave for rotations after only two years because of the lack of rotation spots. Just something to keep in mind in your calculations.

Good luck and see you in a month!

--Sean

I'm a current 4th year and I agree with what's been said. Don't buy a house in Erie if you don't plan on staying, I had friends who bought and had a really hard time selling even after they dropped the price by a few times. Yea paying rent sucks but if the economy doesn't pick up you may lose allot. But hey it's your money

LECOMers in and around the Pgh area,
I have to move some things, namely a sofa and a bed, from Pgh to Erie to my new apartment and I was thinking about renting a UHaul. However, those suckers are expensive so if anyone has anything that needs to be moved and needs some help moving it let me know and we can split the UHaul truck 50-50.
So, you would get a reduced at moving your stuff and someone to help move it! PM me if you are interested!:thumbup:

Last edited:

...I will be moving in on the 6th to Alpine Village; might you be able to help me as well? I would only need help moving 2 things really, a mattress and a sofa...:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any Community Colleges in or around Erie, PA? My wife is still plugging away at an Associate's degree...taking much of the Gen Ed classes she'll need for an eventual bachelor's degree. I couldn't really find anything on-line.

--Sean

Are there any Community Colleges in or around Erie, PA? My wife is still plugging away at an Associate's degree...taking much of the Gen Ed classes she'll need for an eventual bachelor's degree. I couldn't really find anything on-line.

--Sean
I believe there are but if not there are quite a few 4 year colleges around, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Penn State, etc.

I was wondering how everyone was planning on taking notes this year. Typed out on laptop, paper and pencil, or some kind of digital tablet?? And are we allowed to use audio recorders in class?

I don't know about the audio recording, but as for my method of note taking; I will be handwriting them during class then typing them once I get home (this helps me with retention).

Hey everyone! Are you interested in getting involved in LECOM and being able to study at the same time? If you are, then you should become a scribe for LECOM’s note service! The note service provides LECOM students with typed notes and printed power point slides of every lecture. The responsibility of the scribe is to take notes during assigned lectures and email them to me for distribution to subscribing students. This will be a great way to study and help out your classmates. For your time and service, you will receive the note service for free (whereas subscribing students will pay about $160 per semester). The note service cannot be done without students scribing the lectures, the more students there are, the less lectures each one needs to scribe. I am hoping each scribe will only need to take notes for 2 lectures per week. Please let me know if you are interested! Megan

I was wondering how everyone was planning on taking notes this year. Typed out on laptop, paper and pencil, or some kind of digital tablet?? And are we allowed to use audio recorders in class?
You have to ask every professor if you can record their lectures (usually you can ask once and assume you're good the rest of the time you have them.) Most don't have a problem with it, but there's a few that are completely against it.

You have to ask every professor if you can record their lectures (usually you can ask once and assume you're good the rest of the time you have them.) Most don't have a problem with it, but there's a few that are completely against it.

I did find that odd when I was touring LECOM. Several other medical schools I looked into actually kept an archive of recorded lectures...and a LECOM you have to ask permission.

Because we are obviously going to take our recordings of their phenomenal lectures and sell it for $$$...:rolleyes:

I personally took notes in all the powerpoints because it could be very difficult to hand write notes when some of the professors went very fast.

Hey all -

I'm planning on hosting a pre-school BBQ at my place on july 21st for all who wanted to join! Please feel free to bring your +1.

Just PM me to RSVP and ill send you the details!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Evan

p.s. slevin, slane, and all the other folks who have been posting helpful advice for us incoming first years please join us as well.

Are you allowed to attend if you've already passed pre-school?

Hello,

I offer: Free beer and an IOU for a favor.
I need: 4-5 people to help carry a (large) pile of wood out of my basement.

I'll be starting my first year at LECOM in July and recently moved in to Erie. I bought a house and have discovered severe water damage in the basement. I gutted it and need a hand in getting it out of my basement into a dumpster. I promise all the beer you want if you help me in addition to the offer return the favor in the future.

I was shooting for Sunday around noon(any time works actually). If that does not work monday would be good too (any time).

PM me for details!

Thank you,

Sincerely

aaron

I'm a 4th year student and I'm going to be in Erie for the month of August from 8/1 to 8/26. I was wondering if anyone had a room I could rent out for the month. PM me about it if you do. Thanks

Can anyone give a review on any of these places to stay in Erie: royal villa, boston store place, presque view, landmark square, winchester.

Thanks!!!!

Hey all -

I'm planning on hosting a pre-school BBQ at my place on july 21st for all who wanted to join! Please feel free to bring your +1.

Just PM me to RSVP and ill send you the details!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Evan

p.s. slevin, slane, and all the other folks who have been posting helpful advice for us incoming first years please join us as well.
Gonna be out of town most of next week or I'd stop by... :mad:

Because we are obviously going to take our recordings of their phenomenal lectures and sell it for $$$...:rolleyes:
I don't think they care about selling them. They just don't want them ending up on YouTube or anywhere else online, or at least that's the excuse they usually give when pushed about it.

Hey just a question for current students, does LECOM have printers at the building or should I bring myself a printer.

LECOM has printers in the building but it costs you $0.10 to print each page
And there's a good chance that at least one or both is jammed and not working at any given time.

Sorry to interject on this discussion, but is there anyone in the Primary Care Scholars Pathway that could answer some questions for me? Im wondering how competitive this is to get into?

Sorry to interject on this discussion, but is there anyone in the Primary Care Scholars Pathway that could answer some questions for me? Im wondering how competitive this is to get into?
I'm not in PCSP but I know everyone that is and they had to write an essay discussing why they wanted to be in it, etc. I think it was fairly easy for them to get in.