You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
is it easier to get into a certain pathway? (ie is it easier to get accepted into LDP or PBL?) i'm interviewing in jan and i wanted to know if my acceptance will depend on how i rank the different pathways?
Your acceptance will NOT depend on the order you choose for the pathways. It is simply used to place you into the pathway you would prefer in the event you get accepted.
In the sense that there are less PBL seats than LDP, I would say it's harder to get into PBL (although with the opening of Seton Hill there may be as many seats as LDP; don't know). I'm pretty sure PBL at Erie is full at this point. I'm not sure about Seton Hill.
Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are about 60 PBL seats at Erie, 30 ISP spots and 180ish LDP spots.Your acceptance will NOT depend on the order you choose for the pathways. It is simply used to place you into the pathway you would prefer in the event you get accepted.
In the sense that there are less PBL seats than LDP, I would say it's harder to get into PBL (although with the opening of Seton Hill there may be as many seats as LDP; don't know). I'm pretty sure PBL at Erie is full at this point. I'm not sure about Seton Hill.
Good luck!
Hope this helps
Your acceptance will NOT depend on the order you choose for the pathways. It is simply used to place you into the pathway you would prefer in the event you get accepted.
In the sense that there are less PBL seats than LDP, I would say it's harder to get into PBL (although with the opening of Seton Hill there may be as many seats as LDP; don't know). I'm pretty sure PBL at Erie is full at this point. I'm not sure about Seton Hill.
Good luck!
I talked to the VP of LECOM at Seton Hill, and he said that there will be 104 PBL seats there. If you get put on the waiting list for PBL-Erie, it's not ranked. It's more of a first-come, first-served basis. Also, if you find out that PBL-Seton Hill seriously isn't working out for you, you might be able to transfer to another pathway at LECOM-Erie.
Last edited:
I was wondering what is the policy on facial hair for guys. Do we have to be cleanly shaven or are 5 o'clock shadows allowed? I am bad about shaving on a regular basis. It wouldn't bother me if I had to shave everyday. The thread about LECOM Erie concerns just got me wondering.
Actually the rule is bald, at least on the first day... and who knows by the end of the semester you might have a full head of hair againI was wondering what is the policy on facial hair for guys. Do we have to be cleanly shaven or are 5 o'clock shadows allowed? I am bad about shaving on a regular basis. It wouldn't bother me if I had to shave everyday. The thread about LECOM Erie concerns just got me wondering.
Yes there is a dress code.I was just curious. I didn't even hear a rumor about the possibility of it. I just saw a bunch of people complaining about the dress code and it made me wonder.
Shirt and Tie for guys and "professional attire" for girls.
Is it too early to start looking for roomates, adding the little "LECOM Class of 2013" on the bottom, and joining facebook groups...? 

Yea it might be a little early to start looking for roommates. Maybe even too early to look for places to live. I put LECOM Erie Class of 2013 on the bottom even though I'm still waiting for 2 allo schools (in state preference for me) to let me know if I'm rejected or not. I just have a feeling I am going to LECOM, which is fantastic. I really like the school and Erie. I didn't even see a facebook group for the C/O 2013, so somebody may need to create one.Is it too early to start looking for roomates, adding the little "LECOM Class of 2013" on the bottom, and joining facebook groups...?![]()
So I am wondering if people have confirmed their interviews and then later backed out. Is this really bad etiquette? They gave me an interview for the end of February and I have no idea what will have happened between now and then in terms of other acceptances and such. So can I confirm the interview and then if something changes cancel it and not be looked down upon?
So I am wondering if people have confirmed their interviews and then later backed out. Is this really bad etiquette? They gave me an interview for the end of February and I have no idea what will have happened between now and then in terms of other acceptances and such. So can I confirm the interview and then if something changes cancel it and not be looked down upon?
I'm sure that happens all the time. You can't possibly know what would happen. Don't worry about it. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why would you care? Its not like you want to go to the school.So I am wondering if people have confirmed their interviews and then later backed out. Is this really bad etiquette? They gave me an interview for the end of February and I have no idea what will have happened between now and then in terms of other acceptances and such. So can I confirm the interview and then if something changes cancel it and not be looked down upon?
Think of it as a bad date. Ask this girl/guy out.... then you find out they have herpes so you call them up and say hey decided not to go out with you. Have a nice life.
You don't care what they think of you... you'll never see them again. Same thing here
Wow so I just realized that if I didn't reschedule my interview I'd be just interviewing today instead of the beginning of Nov. Crazy.
I've had a somewhat frustrating experience with LECOM-Erie as of late and wondering if anybody has shared my experience or has any suggestions.
I am very interested in the school and submitted my completed secondary in November. Letters also arrived in November and included the science faculty, some personal letters from volunteer program directors and employers, as well as a letter from an MD whom I know very well. I missed that they needed a DO letter so when I called in a few weeks ago and both Erie and Bradenton said they could not process the application without one. When I mentioned to the lovely woman at Bradenton that I come from a family of Osteopaths (3 in my immediate plus more in extended) she understood and said that a letter from one of them would be fine considering the high quality of my other letters and as soon as they received it I got an interview at Bradenton. Erie, however, has said that the family letter I sent there does not suffice. I understand that a family letter will have bias but when you think reasonably and logically about it now I am forced to go seek a letter from someone I barely know just so they can write facts off my resume and submit them with the DO letters. I feel like this is holding up my application uneccesarily. I'll play the game and get the letter but is there anyway to request they review my application in the meantime?
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too much of a rant but it just doesn't make sense to me and I feel the clock is ticking....
I am very interested in the school and submitted my completed secondary in November. Letters also arrived in November and included the science faculty, some personal letters from volunteer program directors and employers, as well as a letter from an MD whom I know very well. I missed that they needed a DO letter so when I called in a few weeks ago and both Erie and Bradenton said they could not process the application without one. When I mentioned to the lovely woman at Bradenton that I come from a family of Osteopaths (3 in my immediate plus more in extended) she understood and said that a letter from one of them would be fine considering the high quality of my other letters and as soon as they received it I got an interview at Bradenton. Erie, however, has said that the family letter I sent there does not suffice. I understand that a family letter will have bias but when you think reasonably and logically about it now I am forced to go seek a letter from someone I barely know just so they can write facts off my resume and submit them with the DO letters. I feel like this is holding up my application uneccesarily. I'll play the game and get the letter but is there anyway to request they review my application in the meantime?
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too much of a rant but it just doesn't make sense to me and I feel the clock is ticking....
I've had a somewhat frustrating experience with LECOM-Erie as of late and wondering if anybody has shared my experience or has any suggestions.
I am very interested in the school and submitted my completed secondary in November. Letters also arrived in November and included the science faculty, some personal letters from volunteer program directors and employers, as well as a letter from an MD whom I know very well. I missed that they needed a DO letter so when I called in a few weeks ago and both Erie and Bradenton said they could not process the application without one. When I mentioned to the lovely woman at Bradenton that I come from a family of Osteopaths (3 in my immediate plus more in extended) she understood and said that a letter from one of them would be fine considering the high quality of my other letters and as soon as they received it I got an interview at Bradenton. Erie, however, has said that the family letter I sent there does not suffice. I understand that a family letter will have bias but when you think reasonably and logically about it now I am forced to go seek a letter from someone I barely know just so they can write facts off my resume and submit them with the DO letters. I feel like this is holding up my application uneccesarily. I'll play the game and get the letter but is there anyway to request they review my application in the meantime?
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too much of a rant but it just doesn't make sense to me and I feel the clock is ticking....
Strange, they invited me for an interview before they got my DO letter. I guess because I said on the secondary that they would be getting one?
And the 1st semester is done.... 3 more to go...then clinicals
Congrats. Any words of wisdom for us coming in next year? What did you think of the first semester
I've had a somewhat frustrating experience with LECOM-Erie as of late and wondering if anybody has shared my experience or has any suggestions.
I am very interested in the school and submitted my completed secondary in November. Letters also arrived in November and included the science faculty, some personal letters from volunteer program directors and employers, as well as a letter from an MD whom I know very well. I missed that they needed a DO letter so when I called in a few weeks ago and both Erie and Bradenton said they could not process the application without one. When I mentioned to the lovely woman at Bradenton that I come from a family of Osteopaths (3 in my immediate plus more in extended) she understood and said that a letter from one of them would be fine considering the high quality of my other letters and as soon as they received it I got an interview at Bradenton. Erie, however, has said that the family letter I sent there does not suffice. I understand that a family letter will have bias but when you think reasonably and logically about it now I am forced to go seek a letter from someone I barely know just so they can write facts off my resume and submit them with the DO letters. I feel like this is holding up my application uneccesarily. I'll play the game and get the letter but is there anyway to request they review my application in the meantime?
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too much of a rant but it just doesn't make sense to me and I feel the clock is ticking....
I got an interview invite before my D.O. letter was in as well, but they needed it before making a decision. I don't know if they still do this or it was just because it was very early in the interview process.
I've had a somewhat frustrating experience with LECOM-Erie as of late and wondering if anybody has shared my experience or has any suggestions.
I am very interested in the school and submitted my completed secondary in November. Letters also arrived in November and included the science faculty, some personal letters from volunteer program directors and employers, as well as a letter from an MD whom I know very well. I missed that they needed a DO letter so when I called in a few weeks ago and both Erie and Bradenton said they could not process the application without one. When I mentioned to the lovely woman at Bradenton that I come from a family of Osteopaths (3 in my immediate plus more in extended) she understood and said that a letter from one of them would be fine considering the high quality of my other letters and as soon as they received it I got an interview at Bradenton. Erie, however, has said that the family letter I sent there does not suffice. I understand that a family letter will have bias but when you think reasonably and logically about it now I am forced to go seek a letter from someone I barely know just so they can write facts off my resume and submit them with the DO letters. I feel like this is holding up my application uneccesarily. I'll play the game and get the letter but is there anyway to request they review my application in the meantime?
Hopefully this doesn't sound like too much of a rant but it just doesn't make sense to me and I feel the clock is ticking....
tell them that they are getting one so you get an interview invite.
I'm an MS 2012 at LECOM-Erie.
Word of advice:
Don't go into the lecture pathway. You will be wasting your time. Some of the professors are not very good lecturers. What makes it worse is that they don't know that.
However, during office hours they are awesome. So something must have happened along their walk from their office to the lecture hall. Perhaps the giant colored fish (you'll know when you get here) scare them...or was it the eclectic collection of skulls (you'll see this too).
At any rate, do not go to the lecture pathway.
Word of advice:
Don't go into the lecture pathway. You will be wasting your time. Some of the professors are not very good lecturers. What makes it worse is that they don't know that.
However, during office hours they are awesome. So something must have happened along their walk from their office to the lecture hall. Perhaps the giant colored fish (you'll know when you get here) scare them...or was it the eclectic collection of skulls (you'll see this too).
At any rate, do not go to the lecture pathway.
Ditto... I am so glad I'm ISP. It seems overwhelming sometimes but screw having 4 exams in one week. I prefer one exam ever other week. Makes life easy ;-)I'm an MS 2012 at LECOM-Erie.
Word of advice:
Don't go into the lecture pathway. You will be wasting your time. Some of the professors are not very good lecturers. What makes it worse is that they don't know that.
However, during office hours they are awesome. So something must have happened along their walk from their office to the lecture hall. Perhaps the giant colored fish (you'll know when you get here) scare them...or was it the eclectic collection of skulls (you'll see this too).
At any rate, do not go to the lecture pathway.
Ditto... I am so glad I'm ISP. It seems overwhelming sometimes but screw having 4 exams in one week. I prefer one exam ever other week. Makes life easy ;-)
Personally, LDP is a good choice for me. I like to procrastinate a lot and I know that if I didn't have to go to lecture it would be hard for me to study the material. Also, there are more tests and therefore more opportunities to get points throughout the semester instead of having one test determine your entire grade for a given class. However, it is definitely a pain to get up at 8am every day, get into dress code, and go to class. Bottom line, there is a pathway for everyone. I know many people who have switched from LDP to ISP, PBL to LDP, and ISP to LDP. The best part is you have opportunities to switch at the end of anatomy and the end of the year.
So I am going to be getting a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. What should I look for or have on the laptop? I can't afford a tablet pc. What about a Mac? I know I have to have a Windows operating system to work at LECOM according to the IT departments website. Thanks
Macs are generally really pricey. Any laptop will do, literally, dont waste your time and money stressing over it. As long as it plays CD roms, has a USB port, and turns on you won't need anything else for starting med school.So I am going to be getting a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. What should I look for or have on the laptop? I can't afford a tablet pc. What about a Mac? I know I have to have a Windows operating system to work at LECOM according to the IT departments website. Thanks
Mac's may seem pricy compared to PC alternatives but when you make a side by side comparison by matching the same specs you won't see much of a difference.So I am going to be getting a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. What should I look for or have on the laptop? I can't afford a tablet pc. What about a Mac? I know I have to have a Windows operating system to work at LECOM according to the IT departments website. Thanks
I have not had any trouble using my mac at LECOM since day 1 and neither has any other mac user I know. While the IT department says windows they do provide basic mac support with regards to getting connected to the file server and the universities mail and website but really with a Mac I've found that I only went to them to register my computer on the schools network and haven't seen them since.
I suggest this to you, get the computer that you will be most happy with before starting school and you'll be happy. I recommend macs for reasons I won't get into here but if you like using PC's get a PC the only difference of a PC from sony to dell is the hardware the OS runs the same.
Go out and read reviews, if all you have ever used were PC's ask friends or go to your local apple store and try it out, ask questions and who knows you might find you like Mac's more than windows or vice versa. But once you go Mac you never go back 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok thanks for the advice. I am gonna go on CNET and check our their reviews. I don't think I will get a mac just because I don't have a lot of money to spend. So I am assuming you med students are on break now. Did you make it out before the winter storm hit the northeast?
I wouldn't trust just CNET they are kinda biased. I would read amazon those come from actual users not a reporter.Ok thanks for the advice. I am gonna go on CNET and check our their reviews. I don't think I will get a mac just because I don't have a lot of money to spend. So I am assuming you med students are on break now. Did you make it out before the winter storm hit the northeast?
And honestly if you if you can't afford don't get a Mac but if you can find a way to get it and think you'll be happy then get it. I've recommended more than half a dozen people to get a mac and they all have nothing but positive things to say about it.
My acceptance letter says my deposit is due in the office by January 3rd. January 3rd is a Saturday and I'm assuming nobody will be in the office that day. I would assume my deposit has to be there by the 2nd, but is the office even open January 2nd? I didn't know if the office would take the 2nd off in addition to the 31st and 1st. Do you think the office would allow me to turn the deposit in on Monday January 5th? I've tried calling and leaving messages for Amy Rowe, but she has not returned them. I know she is busy, so should I email her or is there someone else I can talk to about it? Thanks
My acceptance letter says my deposit is due in the office by January 3rd. January 3rd is a Saturday and I'm assuming nobody will be in the office that day. I would assume my deposit has to be there by the 2nd, but is the office even open January 2nd? I didn't know if the office would take the 2nd off in addition to the 31st and 1st. Do you think the office would allow me to turn the deposit in on Monday January 5th? I've tried calling and leaving messages for Amy Rowe, but she has not returned them. I know she is busy, so should I email her or is there someone else I can talk to about it? Thanks
Have you tried just calling the people at the admissions office and asking them? They probably know.
Yea I have tried calling but I get transferred to Amy Rowe and I end up leaving a voicemail because she is away from the phone. I guess I will call again and email to make sure.
That's weird; when I called them before someone picked up asking if they could help me. At the time I actually wanted to speak to Amy Rowe, so I asked for her, but they didn't just transfer me; the woman actually went to check to make sure Amy was at her desk before I was transferred to her.
I guess it depends when you call or who you reach at the time.
I wouldn't worry, however. They won't reject your money.

Just make a second phone call. Just mail it in as soon as possible. If it shows up on Monday that's not that big of a deal. Just get it in as close to the deadline as possible (or at least have it postmarked by 2 days prior)Yea I have tried calling but I get transferred to Amy Rowe and I end up leaving a voicemail because she is away from the phone. I guess I will call again and email to make sure.
Oh and get a tracking number, although I recommend FedEx.
I emailed Amy Rowe last night and she replied that my deposit just needs to be postmarked by January 3rd. This is great for me because my student loan refund check will be direct deposited into my account on January 2nd. Will there be an update to my status page showing my deposit has been received or will I need to call/email to verify? Thanks for all the great help. I appreciate it
I emailed Amy Rowe last night and she replied that my deposit just needs to be postmarked by January 3rd. This is great for me because my student loan refund check will be direct deposited into my account on January 2nd. Will there be an update to my status page showing my deposit has been received or will I need to call/email to verify? Thanks for all the great help. I appreciate it
I got a letter from Amy a few days after I sent the deposit in confirming they recieved it.
Will there be an update to my status page showing my deposit has been received or will I need to call/email to verify? Thanks for all the great help. I appreciate it
I received a letter in the mail stating that they received my deposit check and that I should receive more information about orientation, forms and transcripts to turn in, etc relatively soon. I also checked on the LECOM portal website, and your status page does change. On mine it listed all the forms I needed to turn in (even though they hadn't mailed them to me yet).
So I am going to be getting a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. What should I look for or have on the laptop? I can't afford a tablet pc. What about a Mac? I know I have to have a Windows operating system to work at LECOM according to the IT departments website. Thanks
I just got the new macbook. Once you switch you'll never switch back. I admit it's too pricy, but it's simply amazing; everybody who comes near drools over it.
Oh yeah, works fine at LECOM.
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your posts. It is helping me a great deal to make decisions for med school and beyond. I just submitted my secondary app to LECOM-E and was wondering about how long do you think until I hear some kind of response. Also, I really have my heart set on PBL, and from what I gather here, it's full. What are the chances, if accepted, of getting off the waitlist and into PBL. I know seton and brad also offer PBL, but Erie is the perfect place for me to live.
Thanks for all your posts. It is helping me a great deal to make decisions for med school and beyond. I just submitted my secondary app to LECOM-E and was wondering about how long do you think until I hear some kind of response. Also, I really have my heart set on PBL, and from what I gather here, it's full. What are the chances, if accepted, of getting off the waitlist and into PBL. I know seton and brad also offer PBL, but Erie is the perfect place for me to live.
I really have my heart set on PBL, and from what I gather here, it's full. What are the chances, if accepted, of getting off the waitlist and into PBL. I know seton and brad also offer PBL, but Erie is the perfect place for me to live.
I asked Susan Lazzarro this question also, and she said that it was more of a first-come, first-served basis--meaning, the earlier you interview, the more likely you'll get pulled off the waitlist. There isn't really an academic ranking of some sort. I think I also remember her saying something about how they consider your location. So if you come from the Northeast area, you may be pulled off the PBL waitlist more so than someone from CA (like me). Not completely sure about that though, so you might want to contact her yourself. I was put on the waitlist for PBL at Erie but decided to go to Seton Hill.
I just got the new macbook. Once you switch you'll never switch back. I admit it's too pricy, but it's simply amazing; everybody who comes near drools over it.
Oh yeah, works fine at LECOM.
DrA
Do you run a Windows operating system or do you have the MAC OS with Office loaded on your laptop? Just trying to figure out my options because I would really like a Mac but don't want to spend the extra money to have XP or Vista installed on it.
Thanks DrJazzah. I appreciate the info.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have OS X with iWork installed no Office. I have windows XP on there but use it for things other than school (mostly because my scanner doesn't have a mac software)DrA
Do you run a Windows operating system or do you have the MAC OS with Office loaded on your laptop? Just trying to figure out my options because I would really like a Mac but don't want to spend the extra money to have XP or Vista installed on it.
You do not need Windows installed on your mac to get by in school. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it if I can find software that will work with my scanner
i just interviewed on monday at lecom and I'm waiting for the letter... is it a big package that comes in the mail or just a regular letter...just wanted to ask because im REALLY nervous.
i just interviewed on monday at lecom and I'm waiting for the letter... is it a big package that comes in the mail or just a regular letter...just wanted to ask because im REALLY nervous.
It's a regular letter if I remember right.
It is a regular letter envelope. I opened mine and saw 3 pieces of paper so I knew I was accepted. I couldn't imagine they would send me an envelope with 3 letters to tell me I was rejected. Good luck and hopefully you get accepted. Is LECOM a top choice for you?
I have OS X with iWork installed no Office. I have windows XP on there but use it for things other than school (mostly because my scanner doesn't have a mac software)
You do not need Windows installed on your mac to get by in school. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it if I can find software that will work with my scanner
Slevin, thanks for the help. I think you may have talked me into getting a Mac. Haha. I was just concerned that OS X would not work at LECOM since the IT department makes it sound like it is so. But it's good to know OS X will still work fine. Do you prefer iWork to Office? If so, why?
Thanks again.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 225K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K