You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Do a little more research on the school and then send in a strong LOI around late may and then a second around late June. Send in your final transcripts when they become available and if you can another LOR wouldn't hurt. I know a few people who got off the wait list about a week before classes started and moved to Erie. Don't despair there is hope.So i got wait listed...
what now...other than a LOI and few more recommendations and updated transcripts...anything else i can do?
if i do not get a spot this year...do i have to reapply all over again?
Man in the past week and a half, 2 PPDs, Hep B vaccine, tetanus vaccine, blood draw for titers, I want to go to medical school so I get to stab people with needles! Not the otherway around!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man in the past week and a half, 2 PPDs, Hep B vaccine, tetanus vaccine, blood draw for titers, I want to go to medical school so I get to stab people with needles! Not the otherway around!
That's right. Harness that rage. Prepare to inflict pain.

If I were in your sitution I would put down ISP as my 1st choice and then ask around me or other people who are in ISP when you start next year about the program. When the core of anatomy is coming to an end you can always request to go back to LDP and there will be many LDPers willing to trade. But it is much harder to get into ISP than LDP since there are very few seats.
Thanks for the advice Slevin. Does anyone know if ISP is full?
That just sounds wrong on so many levelsMe too! and if you dont have the best insurance around its expensive too! IM tired of being poked! I wanna poke too!
Thanks for the advice Slevin. Does anyone know if ISP is full?
I was accepted to ISP last Thursday ... although now I'm not so sure that's a good thing ...
You never know... you might like it you might not but you always have the option to go back to LDP.I was accepted to ISP last Thursday ... although now I'm not so sure that's a good thing ...
You know for all of you who are coming in fall of 2009 why didn't you make a LECOM 2009-2010 thread?
Cause this is the 2008-2009 application cycle. Once in, theres a thread for C/o 2013 over in osteopathic.
I got accepted to the ISP pathway. I remember on the form LBP was my last pick, but after thinking about it for a while, I want to get into the LBP. Is there anyway for me to change this?
You never know... you might like it you might not but you always have the option to go back to LDP.
Is that true? So I can just call them to change it?
Cause this is the 2008-2009 application cycle. Once in, theres a thread for C/o 2013 over in osteopathic.
Ah my mistake for some reason I thought it was my class thread. Silly me
Is that true? So I can just call them to change it?
No, wait until you get here and decide during the 1st half of the 1st semester
No, wait until you get here and decide during the 1st half of the 1st semester
I thought the LBP would already have been filled so they inserted me into the ISP slot.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doesnt' matter you can switch back to LDP at the end of anatomy or at the begining of any semester. There will be spots of people who left school, decided not to come, etc.I thought the LBP would already have been filled so they inserted me into the ISP slot.
Can somebody tell me when the 09-10 incoming class orientation and registration is....it will help me plan in case of a waitlist (Interviewing April 24th)
Weekend before classes start. What day that is don't know. Last year it was the last week of JulyCan somebody tell me when the 09-10 incoming class orientation and registration is....it will help me plan in case of a waitlist (Interviewing April 24th)
Orientation is July 25th and class starts on the 27th, hope that helps!Can somebody tell me when the 09-10 incoming class orientation and registration is....it will help me plan in case of a waitlist (Interviewing April 24th)
I am so excited. I am accepted into Erie.😀 Like that school, but not my first choice. I put up the deposit....😱 , but still waiting for NEOUCOM my first choice to take me off the waitlist. I ve also technically on the list for TCOM as matriculating. I am just so frustrated, I feel so bad taking up seats in two schools, while waiting for NEOUCOM.
But my question is to everyone, is there like a deadline where students have to inform the schools they are attending. I know alot of people that have put up 3 or 4 schools deposits, when do they have to make up their mind?
But my question is to everyone, is there like a deadline where students have to inform the schools they are attending. I know alot of people that have put up 3 or 4 schools deposits, when do they have to make up their mind?
I am so excited. I am accepted into Erie.😀 Like that school, but not my first choice. I put up the deposit....😱 , but still waiting for NEOUCOM my first choice to take me off the waitlist. I ve also technically on the list for TCOM as matriculating. I am just so frustrated, I feel so bad taking up seats in two schools, while waiting for NEOUCOM.
But my question is to everyone, is there like a deadline where students have to inform the schools they are attending. I know alot of people that have put up 3 or 4 schools deposits, when do they have to make up their mind?
That's a good question. The only official literature (coming from the AACOM) simply states that we have an obligation to promptly withdraw all other applications "once we have made a decision." I'm thinking there might be a more concrete guideline than this though; I know the AAMC traffic guidelines for allopathic applicants do not allow you to hold more than one acceptance after May 15th (but you can still also remain on waitlists), so maybe the AACOM has a simliar guideline?
Hey everyone, I'm accepted into the Seton Hill campus, got my matriculation packet via email and had a question concerning laptops.
Any Mac users have any difficulties with the network/portal? I can access blackboard at my current institution no problem... Lecom's IT department only supports PC's which is basically standard procedure so I'm not too concerned but I wanted to make sure....
Also, it is stated that antivirus software is "required" to access the school's network... If you have a mac and/or don't run antivirus software, is this actually recognized and are you blocked from the network?
Any thoughts or answers are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Any Mac users have any difficulties with the network/portal? I can access blackboard at my current institution no problem... Lecom's IT department only supports PC's which is basically standard procedure so I'm not too concerned but I wanted to make sure....
Also, it is stated that antivirus software is "required" to access the school's network... If you have a mac and/or don't run antivirus software, is this actually recognized and are you blocked from the network?
Any thoughts or answers are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I go to LECOM and many of us use a mac. No issues, no antivirus software. You'll be fine.Hey everyone, I'm accepted into the Seton Hill campus, got my matriculation packet via email and had a question concerning laptops.
Any Mac users have any difficulties with the network/portal? I can access blackboard at my current institution no problem... Lecom's IT department only supports PC's which is basically standard procedure so I'm not too concerned but I wanted to make sure....
Also, it is stated that antivirus software is "required" to access the school's network... If you have a mac and/or don't run antivirus software, is this actually recognized and are you blocked from the network?
Any thoughts or answers are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Hey everyone, I'm accepted into the Seton Hill campus, got my matriculation packet via email and had a question concerning laptops.
Any Mac users have any difficulties with the network/portal? I can access blackboard at my current institution no problem... Lecom's IT department only supports PC's which is basically standard procedure so I'm not too concerned but I wanted to make sure....
Also, it is stated that antivirus software is "required" to access the school's network... If you have a mac and/or don't run antivirus software, is this actually recognized and are you blocked from the network?
Any thoughts or answers are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Congrats, StrivingSurge13! When did you interview/find out, if you don't mind my asking? thanks
Congrats, StrivingSurge13! When did you interview/find out, if you don't mind my asking? thanks
Hey I interviewed March 16, and the following week my LECOM portal page was updated to say that a decision had been made (not telling me the outcome)... but it wasn't until around the 30th that I got my letter of acceptance. The letter was dated 3/23 though.
I go to LECOM and many of us use a mac. No issues, no antivirus software. You'll be fine.
Thanks for that!
I interviewed on the April 7th and I just checked the portal and I have already been placed on the alternate list. I am shocked, I thought I had a great interview. I have tons of clinical experience, a 27 MCAT, a science GPA of 3.66, and I am a non-traditional, accomplished student! I thought I was the perfect candidate for the ISP program. Unfortunately, LECOM was my only interview; I really liked the school and thought I was a good fit. Now I feel totally deflated and am not sure what I can do to better my application for next year when finances are very tight.
I fear since I was placed on the waitlist so fast that I really have no chance of being called for a spot. Any advice, help, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
I fear since I was placed on the waitlist so fast that I really have no chance of being called for a spot. Any advice, help, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
What is the best way to get in touch with Amy Rowe or Ms. Linville? by phone or email
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on the April 7th and I just checked the portal and I have already been placed on the alternate list. I am shocked, I thought I had a great interview. I have tons of clinical experience, a 27 MCAT, a science GPA of 3.66, and I am a non-traditional, accomplished student! I thought I was the perfect candidate for the ISP program. Unfortunately, LECOM was my only interview; I really liked the school and thought I was a good fit. Now I feel totally deflated and am not sure what I can do to better my application for next year when finances are very tight.
I fear since I was placed on the waitlist so fast that I really have no chance of being called for a spot. Any advice, help, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Hey. I think the reason you were placed on the waitlist was because they probably had majority to all of the seats filled. I've been accepted to the ISP program. However, most likely I'll be dropping the seat in a few days so hopefully you get it. Keep your hopes up. It's not over yet. 👍
In a few weeks send an update on your application saying how much you liked LECOM and after talking to students you feel that it's the best place for you yada yada yada... I would send one in mid-late may/early june and then a 2nd in early July. People have gotten off the wait list 4 days before school and started classes on time, so it can happen.I interviewed on the April 7th and I just checked the portal and I have already been placed on the alternate list. I am shocked, I thought I had a great interview. I have tons of clinical experience, a 27 MCAT, a science GPA of 3.66, and I am a non-traditional, accomplished student! I thought I was the perfect candidate for the ISP program. Unfortunately, LECOM was my only interview; I really liked the school and thought I was a good fit. Now I feel totally deflated and am not sure what I can do to better my application for next year when finances are very tight.
I fear since I was placed on the waitlist so fast that I really have no chance of being called for a spot. Any advice, help, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Hey. I think the reason you were placed on the waitlist was because they probably had majority to all of the seats filled. I've been accepted to the ISP program. However, most likely I'll be dropping the seat in a few days so hopefully you get it. Keep your hopes up. It's not over yet. 👍
Thank you for the encouragement, you are very sweet. I was just checking the portal on a whim and couldn't believe they had posted a status so quickly; Amy said it would take at least a week and come via snail mail. I'm over the shock now and looking forward. Good luck to you in the school you choose to attend.
In a few weeks send an update on your application saying how much you liked LECOM and after talking to students you feel that it's the best place for you yada yada yada... I would send one in mid-late may/early june and then a 2nd in early July. People have gotten off the wait list 4 days before school and started classes on time, so it can happen.
I will definitely do that. Thank you for your great advice. I'm going to write thank you notes this weekend and follow-up with your suggested letters.
So I have an interview next Friday (very late, I know). I am wondering what the schedule is like on interview day. Would I be pushing it if I book a 3:30 departing flight? They say the interview day would be over at 1. Any insight would be appreciated.
The interviews were over by 1. The optional PBL session starts right after that and runs for like an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. So, that would put you walking out the door at 2:15. That may be cutting it close. Good luck on your interview.
So I have an interview next Friday (very late, I know). I am wondering what the schedule is like on interview day. Would I be pushing it if I book a 3:30 departing flight? They say the interview day would be over at 1. Any insight would be appreciated.
From just about any other city in the country I'd say you definitely need to be at the airport 2 hrs in advance. But Erie is the smallest airport I've ever seen, with only a hand full of departing flights a day. Not to mention the drive to the airport is not bad either... I think you will have time as long as you forego the PBL session.
I interviewed on the April 7th and I just checked the portal and I have already been placed on the alternate list. I am shocked, I thought I had a great interview. I have tons of clinical experience, a 27 MCAT, a science GPA of 3.66, and I am a non-traditional, accomplished student! I thought I was the perfect candidate for the ISP program. Unfortunately, LECOM was my only interview; I really liked the school and thought I was a good fit. Now I feel totally deflated and am not sure what I can do to better my application for next year when finances are very tight.
I fear since I was placed on the waitlist so fast that I really have no chance of being called for a spot. Any advice, help, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Bummer. I feel your pain, as we are very similar profile students - I flew out from far away to interview 3/24. We were told "there are still spots available." Low and behold, I was waitlisted, and my 3/26-dated letter basically said there weren't any spots let. I don't appreciate being misled and spending my hard-earned money to interview somewhere that doesn't actually have spots left in the class.
Either they lied straight to our faces or there were only a few spots left in ISP or PBL at Seton Hill. Either way, it wasn't the greatest situation.
TO INTERVIEWING STUDENTS: THERE ARE NO SPOTS LEFT, AND YOU ARE INTERVIEWING FOR ALTERNATE LIST SPOTS ONLY. IF ERIE TELLS YOU OTHERWISE, THEY ARE LYING (or they are using semantics since maybe one student canceled his or her spot the morning of interviews).
Last edited:
Bummer. I feel your pain, as we are very similar profile students - I flew out from far away to interview 3/24. We were told "there are still spots available." Low and behold, I was waitlisted, and my 3/26-dated letter basically said there weren't any spots let. I don't appreciate being misled and spending my hard-earned money to interview somewhere that doesn't actually have spots left in the class.
Either they lied straight to our faces or there were only a few spots left in ISP or PBL at Seton Hill. Either way, it wasn't the greatest situation.
TO INTERVIEWING STUDENTS: THERE ARE NO SPOTS LEFT, AND YOU ARE INTERVIEWING FOR ALTERNATE LIST SPOTS ONLY. IF ERIE TELLS YOU OTHERWISE, THEY ARE LYING (or they are using semantics since maybe one student canceled his or her spot the morning of interviews).
Hmm, I was in the 3/24 interview too and I got accepted to the ISP pathway about a week later so I'm sure they definitely had spots open. Still though, that's a bummer to hear.
I interviewed on April 7th and was accepted into the LDP pathway in a letter on Friday April 10th (LDP was my last choice, but I think it is the only pathway with openings)Bummer. I feel your pain, as we are very similar profile students - I flew out from far away to interview 3/24. We were told "there are still spots available." Low and behold, I was waitlisted, and my 3/26-dated letter basically said there weren't any spots let. I don't appreciate being misled and spending my hard-earned money to interview somewhere that doesn't actually have spots left in the class.
Either they lied straight to our faces or there were only a few spots left in ISP or PBL at Seton Hill. Either way, it wasn't the greatest situation.
TO INTERVIEWING STUDENTS: THERE ARE NO SPOTS LEFT, AND YOU ARE INTERVIEWING FOR ALTERNATE LIST SPOTS ONLY. IF ERIE TELLS YOU OTHERWISE, THEY ARE LYING (or they are using semantics since maybe one student canceled his or her spot the morning of interviews).
I interviewed on April 7th and was accepted into the LDP pathway in a letter on Friday April 10th (LDP was my last choice, but I think it is the only pathway with openings)
LDP was my #1. Nice. Silvia Ferretti, Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs "wrote," "The Committee looked favorably on your application; however, at this time, the approved class size for the entering Class of 2009 has been achieved."
I wish I had copies of both of these letters.
I'd love for someone from Erie to respond here. L
(And congrats to you!)
Last edited:
I am graduating from Edinboro University with a BS in Biochemistry, GPA 3.76. My MCATS were B8, V8, P6 -M.Hey SWhite I will be interviewing this week. Do you mind sharing your stats? How did the interview go? Are they still asking people the "9 questions?"
I was frustrated with my MCATs, I just took them in January and my husband had emergency surgery a couple of weeks before ( I am married with two children). I already had my supplemental app. submitted, just left it. I figured that I would reapply if need be.
That was the only weak part of my app. I had very strong letters, plus 7 years experience working in an ICU, along with the fact that I have a been a certified massage therapist for 8 years. I also have a LONG list of community service over the last ten years since I've been out of high school.
I know you just asked for my stats, but I really think they look at a lot of information.
Also, they did ask most of the questions that I've seen on the interview feedback sites. It was closed file - they only knew my name and told me that first thing. They have you sit in a big, comfy office chair (and want to see that you can relax, so don't be all stiff🙂
Good luck this week!
Last edited:
I would be very upset if I were you. Considering that fact that supp. apps aren't even due until April 1st, it would seem odd for them to have all the spots filled before that date.LDP was my #1. Nice. Silvia Ferretti, Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs "wrote," "The Committee looked favorably on your application; however, at this time, the approved class size for the entering Class of 2009 has been achieved."
I wish I had copies of both of these letters.
I'd love for someone from Erie to respond here. L
(And congrats to you!)
There is no reason for them to be dishonest.
Did you have any other offers?
Best of luck!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well even tho supp apps aren't due the school has a rolling admissions policy so the class may be filed prior to the due date. Reason #1 to get apps in earlyI would be very upset if I were you. Considering that fact that supp. apps aren't even due until April 1st, it would seem odd for them to have all the spots filled before that date.
There is no reason for them to be dishonest.
Did you have any other offers?
Best of luck!!
LDP was my #1. Nice. Silvia Ferretti, Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs "wrote," "The Committee looked favorably on your application; however, at this time, the approved class size for the entering Class of 2009 has been achieved."
I wish I had copies of both of these letters.
I'd love for someone from Erie to respond here. L
(And congrats to you!)
I have absolutely no idea what the official response to your letter is. But you need some humor to lighten up your day.
I think that it is great that they looked favorably on your application.
How many of us got rejection responses from MD schools that sounded like the follow translation?
Dated March 30th -
After careful review of our applicant pool (your application has been sitting in the corner collecting dust for 6 months), we regret to inform you that we will not offering a place to you in our upcoming class. (We do not screen applications but don't tell you that because every year we make hundreds of thousands from application fees. All we have to do for that money is put the applications on the pile and then write a form letter.)
Geez. How about a tax deduction for the contribution at least?
We all believe that the process needs some reform. To most of us it seems like a crap shoot. So prepare to cheer up. Here is some funny stuff to help you.
1. Anybody can get knocked out .
Kimbo Slice gets knocked out in the first round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj_MWj7sckc
2. Stupid people can get knocked out. I thought that this was a song but its not. Its hilarious.
I get knocked out by trash can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SB1SIbS8Yg
3. Here is one made by Microsoft. Knocked out by elevator door. Very funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JOwiDnyco&feature=related
4. So get up again. Here is you and your friends including me -trying to cheer you up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrkslzyIKGI
Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum thing so I don't really know how this works but I was hoping someone could help me out. I was recently accepted to both Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Athens, OH and Lake Erie COM in Erie, PA. I am trying to make a decision and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion? Let me know! thanks so much!
I'm new to this forum thing so I don't really know how this works but I was hoping someone could help me out. I was recently accepted to both Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Athens, OH and Lake Erie COM in Erie, PA. I am trying to make a decision and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion? Let me know! thanks so much!
I'm amazed to see someone having gone through the process and not having any idea where to go. Don't take this the wrong way, but you must be young. You need to choose the school that's right for YOU.
Generally, people will consider some combination of:
- Cost (Tuition)
- Board Pass Rates
- Geographical Location/Proximity to Family/Weather
- Living Costs
- Quality and Diversity of Residency Match
- Curriculum
- Scholarship Offers
I believe you have to stay in OH for 5 years after OSU-COM.
Many people choose LECOM because it's cheap.
Make a spreadsheet, assign each category a numerical value like:
Cost School #1 School #2
10 total points 8/10 7/10
Other categories
Etc.
.
.
.
.
Add them up and see if that helps. It's very mechanical but might sched some light on things depending on how you weight each variable. Good luck!
Generally, people will consider some combination of:
- Cost (Tuition)
- Board Pass Rates
- Geographical Location/Proximity to Family/Weather
- Living Costs
- Quality and Diversity of Residency Match
- Curriculum
- Scholarship Offers
I believe you have to stay in OH for 5 years after OSU-COM.
Many people choose LECOM because it's cheap.
Make a spreadsheet, assign each category a numerical value like:
Cost School #1 School #2
10 total points 8/10 7/10
Other categories
Etc.
.
.
.
.
Add them up and see if that helps. It's very mechanical but might sched some light on things depending on how you weight each variable. Good luck!
I actually just flipped a coin to pick which school to go to and which to decline my seat and I'm tottering on the edge of 30I'm amazed to see someone having gone through the process and not having any idea where to go. Don't take this the wrong way, but you must be young. You need to choose the school that's right for YOU.
Generally, people will consider some combination of:
- Cost (Tuition)
- Board Pass Rates
- Geographical Location/Proximity to Family/Weather
- Living Costs
- Quality and Diversity of Residency Match
- Curriculum
- Scholarship Offers
I believe you have to stay in OH for 5 years after OSU-COM.
Many people choose LECOM because it's cheap.
Make a spreadsheet, assign each category a numerical value like:
Cost School #1 School #2
10 total points 8/10 7/10
Other categories
Etc.
.
.
.
.
Add them up and see if that helps. It's very mechanical but might sched some light on things depending on how you weight each variable. Good luck!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 226K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K