LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum thing so I don't really know how this works but I was hoping someone could help me out. I was recently accepted to both Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Athens, OH and Lake Erie COM in Erie, PA. I am trying to make a decision and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion? Let me know! thanks so much!

Having to stay in OH 5 years post residency is what kept me from applying to OUCOM in the first place. I don't like the idea of being locked into one area (especially ohio 😉)
 
Having to stay in OH 5 years post residency is what kept me from applying to OUCOM in the first place. I don't like the idea of being locked into one area (especially ohio 😉)

Amen. It reminds me of that song "Ohio" by Modest Mouse. "This place is flatter than it seems". Describes the state perfectly (nothing personal against Ohio 😉)
 
Hey, I'm new here and I don't have time to search through the board, but I was wondering if anyone here knows how full the class is for this fall. I emailed/called admissions but haven't heard back from anyone yet.

The reason I'm asking is because I was just accepted at KCUMB and am debating on whether to spend the money to travel to LECOM when I may only get a spot on a waiting list or nothing at all. Any feedback would be wonderful!

Thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello fellow SDNers! I was wondering if there are seats available... I just received an interview date later this month, and am wondering if it is worth trying or not. Please let me know!
 
Hello fellow SDNers! I was wondering if there are seats available... I just received an interview date later this month, and am wondering if it is worth trying or not. Please let me know!
I just interviewed on April 7th and was accepted in a letter on the 10th, so I wouldn't rule it out.
 
wow that's a quick turnaround! haha congrats tho!! 👍
Thanks! I think it helps that I only live 20 miles from the school, so the letter didn't have to travel far🙂

The admissions coordinator told us at the interview that the committee would meeting the day after the interviews to make decisions on our apps(if we had a complete supplemental). And she would have the letters out the next day. I still didn't expect to hear until this week. I was shocked, but excited.

I am not sure that it's completely registered. It's a big deal🙂
 
I think the problem some people are having is when you are in your interview they tell you there are open spots. When you receive the waitlist letter it states although they looked favorably on your application, the class, at this time, is full. So there is a discrepancy between what they tell you in your interview and what the waitlist letter says, plus the letter leads you to believe they really liked you but there is no room for you-confusing! Then you find out other people in your interview group got in. I believe there are probably few seats available for late interviewers however, if they feel like "they have to have you" they will fit you in regardless. So, us waitlisters just have to wait and hope spaces open up and hope they really did look favorably on our application.

P.S. Congratulations SWhite! I hope to be class with you.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Winkie! I hope to see you in class, too!! I have heard that the majority of the waitlist usually ends up in the class, due to all the activity over the summer of people giving up their spots to accept positions elsewhere. So good luck to you.

It is odd that their letter is so misleading. Has anyone else been waitlisted at other schools that give a similar message? Just curious if that is the norm...
 
Hey guys, first time actually posting here. I interviewed at LECOM Erie Feb 13, and got wait listed about a month or so later. Anyone have any news regarding the waitlist? I called them a few weeks ago and they wouldn't give me any information, not even how many people were on it. It seems strange to me that if people are interviewing and getting accepted in early April to just get sent to the alt. list that long ago. Any info would be great. Thanks!
 
Hey guys, first time actually posting here. I interviewed at LECOM Erie Feb 13, and got wait listed about a month or so later. Anyone have any news regarding the waitlist? I called them a few weeks ago and they wouldn't give me any information, not even how many people were on it. It seems strange to me that if people are interviewing and getting accepted in early April to just get sent to the alt. list that long ago. Any info would be great. Thanks!

I know what your going thru, i have called that office and asked them every kind of question imaginable and they will not give any information regarding the wait list. it is surprising that they are still interviewing and accepting and is very frustrating and confusing! they told me to stop callin too!
 
Hey guys, first time actually posting here. I interviewed at LECOM Erie Feb 13, and got wait listed about a month or so later. Anyone have any news regarding the waitlist? I called them a few weeks ago and they wouldn't give me any information, not even how many people were on it. It seems strange to me that if people are interviewing and getting accepted in early April to just get sent to the alt. list that long ago. Any info would be great. Thanks!
If you look at threads from previous years, waitlist movement occurs primarily between May and July. Since they are interviewing through April, I wouldn't even bother calling until mid May or so.

FYI tidus: (I think it was last year)-someone who was waitlisted in September got a call in July about an open spot. That is like ten months of being waitlisted!

I know it is frustrating that people are still interviewing and being accepted, but unfortunately the school obviously fells the people they are accepting this late in the game are a "better fit for the school", for whatever reason, than us waitlisters.

The good news is: we still have 3.5 months to be accepted; I am sure there are plenty of waitlisters who, once accepted, have excelled at LECOM (one spoke to my interview group); and LECOM does use their waitlist.

So, keep your chin up. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst (corny but true/necessary) and good luck to all of us waitlisters who really want to attend LECOM.:luck:
 
To all the waitlisters, just as everyone has been saying, stay positive. I was accepted to LECOM in the fall, and hold a waitlist to PCOM. If I'm accepted to PCOM, I will be withdrawing to LECOM and one of you I'm sure will get my seat. So good luck and don't think it's over. I know it sucks to wait, I've prepared myself to wait as long as I have to for my #1 choice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just interviewed and loved the school. i used to think that someplace else was my #1 choice, but now i find myself questioning that. for those that have heard back how long did it take? also did you find out through snail mail or was it via your portal page? i am just wondering about time frames for both. really neat school and facilities. my interview was actually pretty fun, not stressful at all. we talked about just about everything. that's one thing that stands out most to me about the school. thanks for input.
 
I interviewed on March 31st and was accepted to LDP by snail mail on April 13th. The letter was dated April 1st but it had to get to California and bounce through a forwarded address. I really had to hussle to scrape up the deposit and get it mailed out, but I was quite happy to do it!
 
Hi everyone,
I will be a first year LDP student and I am looking for some roommates. My friend is a second year will be ending the lease on his awesome apartment and I am looking to take it over with 2 other people. It is $300 a month, right near the school (you could walk to LECOM) has 2 car garage, front balcony, huge basement. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! [email protected]
 
Anyone know why LECOM has their white coat ceremony so late (I think its January) when pretty much every other school has theirs before classes start?
 
Most schools have it in the beginning of first year. But honestly, I liked having it in January b/c you had just finished 1st semester so it was kind of celebrating getting through that too. Not to mention there were less people in January than in August 🙂
 
My portal now says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application." I just wish they would post what that decision is.
 
I have an interview monday april 27th what is my chance of being accepted or is this an interview for waitlist
 
Hi guys, I interviewed at lecom last friday and today when I went to check to see the status of my acceptance I said "You have been ranked on Lecom-erie alternate list." I thought they did not do rankings at lecom? Anyone here with the same status?
 
hey i was there last friday also. but my portal doesn't say that, it just says that a decision has been made. shoot maybe i got rejected then
 
hey i was there last friday also. but my portal doesn't say that, it just says that a decision has been made. shoot maybe i got rejected then
Don't get too upset. The "a decision has been made on your application" message is standard on portal for admissions and rejections. I was accepted and that's what mine said. I've never understood why the alternate list applications get a different message. It should say the standard message for everyone. They feel strongly about the decision being communicated through snail mail, that should be in all cases.
Good luck! I know it's stressful, waiting for that letter🙂
 
Hi guys, I interviewed at lecom last friday and today when I went to check to see the status of my acceptance I said "You have been ranked on Lecom-erie alternate list." I thought they did not do rankings at lecom? Anyone here with the same status?
Good luck! I know that throughout the summer, most of the alternate list applications end up with spots.
 
When I check my LECOM portal admissions status, it displays that "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Did anyone else receive this status? If so, what came out of it or what should I expect?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I check my LECOM portal admissions status, it displays that "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Did anyone else receive this status? If so, what came out of it or what should I expect?


If you were waitlisted and your portal said so, and now has changed to that, you are probably getting in. They wouldnt send you a rejection from the waitlist already when the waitlist stays open until classes start
 
If you were waitlisted and your portal said so, and now has changed to that, you are probably getting in. They wouldnt send you a rejection from the waitlist already when the waitlist stays open until classes start

Yeah, but there is no way they're working the waitlist yet, they're still interviewing. From what I've got from this thread is that you've just got to wait for that letter in the mail. Ain't it fun!😴
 
Yeah, but there is no way they're working the waitlist yet, they're still interviewing. From what I've got from this thread is that you've just got to wait for that letter in the mail. Ain't it fun!😴
yea it will probably come about a week before classes start...🙁
 
I just interviewed this past Friday at Erie. I loved it, but I'm guessing there are barely any spots left.
How long does it take for them to give you a response?
 
i interviewed there last friday also, the 17th, and was impressed by the school. you can check your lecom portal thing, but you might not get an answer there. if you are waitlisted it will say so there, but anything else it will just say that a decision has been made and you will receive it in the mail within 30 days. what pathway are you hoping to get into? i talked to the pbl guy after and he said that pbl erie is the first thing to fill up. i know that as of the 16th of april there were a handful of spots open at the seton hill campus. that campus is nothing like erie though, i went and took a look at it. i don't know how full ldp or any other pathway is, i couldn't get a straight answer. how did your interview go?
 
i interviewed there last friday also, the 17th, and was impressed by the school. you can check your lecom portal thing, but you might not get an answer there. if you are waitlisted it will say so there, but anything else it will just say that a decision has been made and you will receive it in the mail within 30 days. what pathway are you hoping to get into? i talked to the pbl guy after and he said that pbl erie is the first thing to fill up. i know that as of the 16th of april there were a handful of spots open at the seton hill campus. that campus is nothing like erie though, i went and took a look at it. i don't know how full ldp or any other pathway is, i couldn't get a straight answer. how did your interview go?


I put LDP as my first choice. I also like PBL but was unsure if I wanted to go to their Seton Hill campus. I thought my interview went really well, it just felt like we were in a conversation, but you never know. I just hope some seats are left for us late bloomers!
 
i did the same. i like the idea of pbl, but i need more structure. i went and checked out the seton hill campus the day before the interview and i was not impressed at all. i just didn't feel like being there would fit me. hopefully it works out. i really liked erie. good luck to you.
 
i did the same. i like the idea of pbl, but i need more structure. i went and checked out the seton hill campus the day before the interview and i was not impressed at all. i just didn't feel like being there would fit me. hopefully it works out. i really liked erie. good luck to you.

What about the campus did you have a problem with?
 
What about the campus did you have a problem with?

I interviewed at erie but did not visit the seton hill campus... but from what I hear I wouldn't be surprised if the facilities aren't all that impressive... There is not a lot of space, I think an OMM lab and some Pbl rooms. But then again, this may be all they need. The Seton Hill University campus as a whole though looks beautiful.
 
I think that with any new school there will be some growing pains...but LECOM has had success with satellite PBL campuses before....at this point if I get in there I think I'll gladly take it
 
well i now know what they meant by the whole "a decision has been made regarding your application."

i interviewed on april 17th and got a later today dated the 22nd...accepted to LECOM Erie in the LDP pathway, my #1 choice. So don't lose hope out there. I figured that because took the MCAT so late and applied so late (both at end of Jan) that I wouldn't have a chance. I don't have an impressive application either.
overall 3.45 GPA
3.1 ish science GPA
not a ton of extracurricular, i founded one club and led it
some research, but nothing great
29S MCAT 11-PS 10-BS 8-V

For those interviewing just relax, I had a great time in my interview. I even told them I didn't want to be a doctor, but an astronaut but that this was the second best thing.

Anybody out there visited both LECOM and PNWU? I got waitlisted at PNWU and both schools are great, I am just having some issues trying to decide, if it comes down to which, where to go. So if anyone has seen both let me know here or pm me what you thought of both. Thanks.
 
well i now know what they meant by the whole "a decision has been made regarding your application."

i interviewed on april 17th and got a later today dated the 22nd...accepted to LECOM Erie in the LDP pathway, my #1 choice. So don't lose hope out there. I figured that because took the MCAT so late and applied so late (both at end of Jan) that I wouldn't have a chance. I don't have an impressive application either.
overall 3.45 GPA
3.1 ish science GPA
not a ton of extracurricular, i founded one club and led it
some research, but nothing great
29S MCAT 11-PS 10-BS 8-V

For those interviewing just relax, I had a great time in my interview. I even told them I didn't want to be a doctor, but an astronaut but that this was the second best thing.

Anybody out there visited both LECOM and PNWU? I got waitlisted at PNWU and both schools are great, I am just having some issues trying to decide, if it comes down to which, where to go. So if anyone has seen both let me know here or pm me what you thought of both. Thanks.

Good luck figuring out which school is right for you. I know people who practically said that they would lay down in front of a bus to get to go to LECOM. You must have a special application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck figuring out which school is right for you. I know people who practically said that they would lay down in front of a bus to get to go to LECOM. You must have a special application.


i don't think it was that. from what i have seen/experienced it seems if you get an interview that is what you need to nail, nothing else matters.
 
i don't think it was that. from what i have seen/experienced it seems if you get an interview that is what you need to nail, nothing else matters.

I don't know what you are saying exactly. There are many on the waiting listing. Frankly, probably some of those people are not undecided as to where they want to go. You must have a special application so I hope that you understand the privilege that you have been awarded and accept the invitation. Otherwise, I hope that the waiting list decides to find out where you are and beats you up.
 
i think mine got changed the day they met. however it might not say exactly what is happening. apparently from other post if you are waitlisted it will let you know, but if you are accepted or rejected it will simply say that a decision has been made on your application and you will receive official notice in the mail within 30 days. mine said the latter and within a week the letter came. i think it took the letter 10 days from the day i interviewed to arrive in idaho and let me know exactly what that decision was.
 
On my portal it now says that the Adcom has made a decision on my application. I will get a letter in thirty days. So I could either get rejected or accepted. :xf: I hope I get in!