LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

are they going to do group interviews this year??

from the previous year info it seems its about a 50/50 split between group and individual. also seems like a split between open and closed file. I guess we will all be surprised in a few weeks!😀
 
If you look at the SDN feedback, in previous years there was an optional PBL session from 1-2 PM. The email says the day ends at 1 PM and several people in previous years expressed frustration that they did not know about this optional session and that they had to leave to catch their flight and could not stay for it. I don't know if they are doing that this year, but I am planning on being there until 2 PM because I definitely am interested in the PBL track.

The interview day should be over by one pm. For us coming in this year, our interview day started at 7:45-8 am and when to 9 am while they discussed the school and the advantages to the school. At 9 am-10 am, there was a mach PBL session where the whole group will participate in solving a simple case. Interviews began at 10 am and went to 11 am. There were 4 interviewing teams, closed file. From 11 am-11:30 am, there was a financial aid talk. From 11:30 to noon, we had lunch with a current student without any LECOM faculty, so we were able to ask more direct and personal questions. At noon, we took a tour of the campus and was done by 12:30.

For those of you worried about the interview, on SDN there is a list of 10 standard questions they ask you. Of the ten questions, I probably got 8 of those questions. Try to know how to answer the questions without seeming like it is rehearsed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The interview day should be over by one pm. For us coming in this year, our interview day started at 7:45-8 am and when to 9 am while they discussed the school and the advantages to the school. At 9 am-10 am, there was a mach PBL session where the whole group will participate in solving a simple case. Interviews began at 10 am and went to 11 am. There were 4 interviewing teams, closed file. From 11 am-11:30 am, there was a financial aid talk. From 11:30 to noon, we had lunch with a current student without any LECOM faculty, so we were able to ask more direct and personal questions. At noon, we took a tour of the campus and was done by 12:30.

For those of you worried about the interview, on SDN there is a list of 10 standard questions they ask you. Of the ten questions, I probably got 8 of those questions. Try to know how to answer the questions without seeming like it is rehearsed.


That is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Anyone else struggling to not get too excited? I feel like I have a shot at getting accepted, but I don't want to set myself up for amazing disappointment.
 
The interview day should be over by one pm. For us coming in this year, our interview day started at 7:45-8 am and when to 9 am while they discussed the school and the advantages to the school. At 9 am-10 am, there was a mach PBL session where the whole group will participate in solving a simple case. Interviews began at 10 am and went to 11 am. There were 4 interviewing teams, closed file. From 11 am-11:30 am, there was a financial aid talk. From 11:30 to noon, we had lunch with a current student without any LECOM faculty, so we were able to ask more direct and personal questions. At noon, we took a tour of the campus and was done by 12:30.

For those of you worried about the interview, on SDN there is a list of 10 standard questions they ask you. Of the ten questions, I probably got 8 of those questions. Try to know how to answer the questions without seeming like it is rehearsed.

If you don't mind me asking, were you in one of the earlier interview groups (Aug - Oct) or the later? Reading through the old thread I noticed that group interviews seemed pretty common for the earlier interviews.
 
That is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Anyone else struggling to not get too excited? I feel like I have a shot at getting accepted, but I don't want to set myself up for amazing disappointment.

I second this. I still keep feeling like my interview invite was a mistake. We need to be CONFIDENT! (Yes, I am terrified) :laugh:
 
If you don't mind me asking, were you in one of the earlier interview groups (Aug - Oct) or the later? Reading through the old thread I noticed that group interviews seemed pretty common for the earlier interviews.
Maybe as the interviews went on they decided they didn't want to do groups anymore. That would work for me... I would rather not do a group.
Maybe that's a mistake and a group interview would be easier.
 
If you don't mind me asking, were you in one of the earlier interview groups (Aug - Oct) or the later? Reading through the old thread I noticed that group interviews seemed pretty common for the earlier interviews.

I interviewed in Feburary and ours were 2 interviewers to each interviewee and they were closed file. The interviews are very laid back so just know why you want to get into osteopathic medicine and why you like LECOM and you should do fine. Find the list of 10 standard questions and look them over.
 
If you don't mind me asking, were you in one of the earlier interview groups (Aug - Oct) or the later? Reading through the old thread I noticed that group interviews seemed pretty common for the earlier interviews.
I was in the first round of group interviews in August, and when we actually sat down at 9:00AM for our introductory session, they told us we were going to essentially be guinea pigs. They had no idea how good or bad group interviews were going to be. As you've said though, traditional interviews became more and more common as the interview season went on, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can expect one or the other this season.

On one hand, yeah, LECOM might have decided that maybe group interviews weren't the way to go based on the earlier interview days, but then again, when you're nearing the end of your interview season, you only have a few spots left to give out. It would look kind of bad to invite forty or more students to interview and then only give one of them a spot (Especially since a lot of interviewees sink a lot of time and money into traveling.) Inviting a handful of more thoroughly pre-screened students for traditional interviews is a much better way to fill those last few spots.

My best advice for you is this: if you're interviewing at LECOM this year, expect either situation as a possibility and prepare yourself for both as best as you can. The group interviews aren't bad at all. They're very relaxed and laid back, it's just like a big round-table conversation (I loved it.) Just be sure to speak up and speak your mind. Don't pick fights, which they'll try and start with some of the later questions that tend to be more controversial.
 
Just got a phone call for an interview at LECOM-B!! First interview invite, scheduled for August 27.
 
Did anyone in the 7/16 group get a reply to their confirmation e-mail? I replied to the original e-mail to confirm the interview, but am wondering if they received my confirmation. I have this terrible image of showing up at 8 a.m. to have them say "Oh, we never heard back from you!"
 
Did anyone in the 7/16 group get a reply to their confirmation e-mail? I replied to the original e-mail to confirm the interview, but am wondering if they received my confirmation. I have this terrible image of showing up at 8 a.m. to have them say "Oh, we never heard back from you!"

Haha yeah I have been worried about that too! I never received a reply to my confirmation either. I was thinking they might send us something this week or next...? Maybe more information about the day, but I don't know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone in the 7/16 group get a reply to their confirmation e-mail? I replied to the original e-mail to confirm the interview, but am wondering if they received my confirmation. I have this terrible image of showing up at 8 a.m. to have them say "Oh, we never heard back from you!"

I would call them and confirm! I e-mailed back with a question and that I wanted to confirm. I was told everything was in order. I called anyway two days later and I was not signed up and she confirmed my appointment over the phone, it only took a minute. Better off safe.
 
my LECOM-E status just changed, got invited for the interview. i wonder if anyone knows the percentage of students invited for an interview and/or the number of interviewed that get accepted..
 
my LECOM-E status just changed, got invited for the interview. i wonder if anyone knows the percentage of students invited for an interview and/or the number of interviewed that get accepted..

congrats!! when was your secondary completed?
 
my LECOM-E status just changed, got invited for the interview. i wonder if anyone knows the percentage of students invited for an interview and/or the number of interviewed that get accepted..

As per the US News Week from 2007, they had an 11.3% acceptance rate. I read it in Barnes and Noble so no link sorry. Good luck
 
As per the US News Week from 2007, they had an 11.3% acceptance rate. I read it in Barnes and Noble so no link sorry. Good luck

11.3% acceptance rate WITH an interview, no way. That means to fill a class of of 370 that would have to interview 3700 applicants. I find that hard to believe.

According to the Matriculant Data posted by AACOMAS for LECOM-E (Probably class of 2012)

4424 Applied 374 Matriculated 8.45%

Which means they accepted probably 450 or more students.
At the open house I remember Dr. Moore saying something like they interview roughly 1,000 and accept under 500 (I am hoping I am wrong, if someone else was there they could confirm)

Probably looking at a 50% chance with an interview, maybe a little higher because it's early in the application season.
 
Last edited:
11.3% acceptance rate WITH an interview, no way. That means to fill a class of of 370 that would have to interview 3700 applicants. I find that hard to believe.

According to the Matriculant Data posted by AACOMAS for LECOM-E (Probably class of 2012)

4424 Applied 374 Matriculated 8.45%

Which means they accepted probably 450 or more students.
At the open house I remember Dr. Moore saying something like they interview roughly 1,000 and accept under 500 (I am hoping I am wrong, if someone else was there they could confirm)

Probably looking at a 50% chance with an interview, maybe a little higher because it's early in the application season.

Good call, I prolly looked at the %applied/accepted. The interview is the hardest part and one this early prolly raises your acceptance rate up a bit more. Good luck none the less
 
They probably offered an acceptance to around 1000 people. Usually, schools have to accept three times more applicants than they have seats for since most people have multiple offers and LECOM is not (gasp!) everyone's first choice. So, really if 4400 apply that works out to about a 23% acceptance rate. But this is just pure speculation and if anyone has better info let us know. I don't know how many people they interview, though. I can't seem to find that stat anywhere.
 
Last edited:
When you guys submitted your secondary did your status page still say:

Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application.

???
If so how long did it take to change to a different status?
 
When you guys submitted your secondary did your status page still say:

Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application.

???
If so how long did it take to change to a different status?


I had that, too. It was like that for several days. I submitted 6/10 and it stayed like that until 6/15.
 
Any speculation as to how the interviews will be next Friday? From last years thread they seemed to range from group interviews to one on one to two on one...not sure which I would prefer.

What do you guys think?
 
They probably offered an acceptance to around 1000 people. Usually, schools have to accept three times more applicants than they have seats for since most people have multiple offers and LECOM is not (gasp!) everyone's first choice. So, really if 4400 apply that works out to about a 23% acceptance rate. But this is just pure speculation and if anyone has better info let us know. I don't know how many people they interview, though. I can't seem to find that stat anywhere.

I like your numbers MUCH better than mine. Makes me think I have a chance here.:laugh:


I'd prefer a one on one interview, but it seems like (based on last years thread) that a large majority of people got in off the group interviews early on, so I wouldn't mind a group interview if that was the case.
 
HockeyDr-Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I am just hoping that since it's early in the cycle a lot of us who are interviewing next week will get in!

Still trying to find a suit that won't be too hot for the middle of July. I do have a suit that is more for cold weather. What is everyone else wearing? I'm a girl so I was thinking about wearing a skirt suit.
 
Still trying to find a suit that won't be too hot for the middle of July. I do have a suit that is more for cold weather. What is everyone else wearing? I'm a girl so I was thinking about wearing a skirt suit.

I'm a girl, too. I don't think there is any such thing as formal business attire that isn't too hot for a heat wave in July!:laugh:

I have two outfits, a skirt suit or a pant suit, that I could potentially wear. Still debating. I hope they have good AC in that building up there.
 
I hope not all interviews cost this much. So far I have spent 733$ on the plane ticket alone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a girl, too. I don't think there is any such thing as formal business attire that isn't too hot for a heat wave in July!:laugh:

I have two outfits, a skirt suit or a pant suit, that I could potentially wear. Still debating. I hope they have good AC in that building up there.

Everyone has always told me you have to wear a pant suit but seriously, I'm wearing a skirt suit for interviews until it is cooler out. I get overheated really easily as it is and that is SO not what I want to happen during an interview haha.
 
The interview day should be over by one pm. For us coming in this year, our interview day started at 7:45-8 am and when to 9 am while they discussed the school and the advantages to the school. At 9 am-10 am, there was a mach PBL session where the whole group will participate in solving a simple case. Interviews began at 10 am and went to 11 am. There were 4 interviewing teams, closed file. From 11 am-11:30 am, there was a financial aid talk. From 11:30 to noon, we had lunch with a current student without any LECOM faculty, so we were able to ask more direct and personal questions. At noon, we took a tour of the campus and was done by 12:30.

For those of you worried about the interview, on SDN there is a list of 10 standard questions they ask you. Of the ten questions, I probably got 8 of those questions. Try to know how to answer the questions without seeming like it is rehearsed.

electric DO, I am trying to find those 10 standard interview questions on SDN. I kept on looking for them and can't find anything. Would you mind forwarding a weblink or something of a sort which will help find those questions? thanks😎
 
Everyone has always told me you have to wear a pant suit but seriously, I'm wearing a skirt suit for interviews until it is cooler out. I get overheated really easily as it is and that is SO not what I want to happen during an interview haha.

I think i'll stick with the pant suit. I just can't see a skirt suit working for me.:laugh: Just picked up a new suit, coming next week. Going with a charcoal gray, seems like suit color is not too much of a big deal as long as its not solid white or something along those lines.
 
Okay, I found some stats on the Internet:

LECOM -Erie Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 6563 applied, 1387 interviewed, 921 were accepted, 436 enrolled
In-state admissions data 850 applied, 444 interviewed, 286 were accepted, 150 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 5713 applied, 943 interviewed, 635 were accepted, 286 enrolled
Women's admissions data 3156 applied, 632 interviewed, 437 were accepted, 202 enrolled
Minority admissions data 1969 applied, 433 interviewed, 168 were accepted, 91 enrolled
International admissions data 0 applied, 0 interviewed, 0 were accepted, 0 enrolled

So, it looks like we have a 66% chance of an acceptance after we make it to the interview. :xf:


(Got these numbers from http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/Lake_Erie_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine.html)
 
I would call them and confirm! I e-mailed back with a question and that I wanted to confirm. I was told everything was in order. I called anyway two days later and I was not signed up and she confirmed my appointment over the phone, it only took a minute. Better off safe.

:scared:

I just called to be safe and they had me already confirmed from my email. Now I can relax...
 
electric DO, I am trying to find those 10 standard interview questions on SDN. I kept on looking for them and can't find anything. Would you mind forwarding a weblink or something of a sort which will help find those questions? thanks


Not ElectricDO, but I can help you. The interview feedback section has the 10 standard questions but I still remember most of them. They are very basic:
Why DO?
Why medicine?
What are 3 Strengths and 1 Weakness that you have?
What's your Leadership style?
What do you do to relieve stress?
Talk about a time when you had a conflict with someone and how you handled the situation
How do you work in a team?
Tell us something about yourself that is not on you application

I don't remember the other two, but just go to the interview section and use the pull down tabs, you'll see them.

Note: I don't know what the format was for a group interview but I can't see them asking many of these in a group.
 
Okay, I found some stats on the Internet:

LECOM -Erie Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 6563 applied, 1387 interviewed, 921 were accepted, 436 enrolled
In-state admissions data 850 applied, 444 interviewed, 286 were accepted, 150 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 5713 applied, 943 interviewed, 635 were accepted, 286 enrolled
Women's admissions data 3156 applied, 632 interviewed, 437 were accepted, 202 enrolled
Minority admissions data 1969 applied, 433 interviewed, 168 were accepted, 91 enrolled
International admissions data 0 applied, 0 interviewed, 0 were accepted, 0 enrolled

So, it looks like we have a 66% chance of an acceptance after we make it to the interview. :xf:


(Got these numbers from http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/Lake_Erie_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine.html)

NICE detective work, that cheers me up a little. Time to start practicing for the interview.🙂
 
So LECOM-E requested a document from the Osteopathic Doctor that I shadowed. I have a pending delivery on interfolio. I'm confused because I haven't received a secondary yet. And from reading this thread it seems this LOR wouldn't be required until after acceptance? I'm a Canadian, so maybe they treat us differently... ? Anyone have a idea as to why they would require the LOR before even sending a secondary?
 
:scared:

I just called to be safe and they had me already confirmed from my email. Now I can relax...

Hahaha I called today too just to confirm, they had me down as coming, so that is one less thing I need to worry about.

I wonder if the acceptance percentages will be higher since we are in the first group of interviewees...? One can always hope! 🙂
 
So LECOM-E requested a document from the Osteopathic Doctor that I shadowed. I have a pending delivery on interfolio. I'm confused because I haven't received a secondary yet. And from reading this thread it seems this LOR wouldn't be required until after acceptance? I'm a Canadian, so maybe they treat us differently... ? Anyone have a idea as to why they would require the LOR before even sending a secondary?

That is very strange, they don't even require LOR's before inviting for interviews and the DO LOR is not even due until after you've been accepted. It might have something to do with you being an international applicant. Did you call them to find out more?
 
Yesss! INTERVIEW!

Just received the email and checked my status just be sure.. it's confirmed!

I received the "LECOM Erie Received Your AACOMAS Application" email on the 24th of June!

I'm going August 27th! I guess I'll be seeing some of you guys there!?

For those interested in raw stats, I'm 3.26sci, 3.63nsi, 3.43total, 10.9.10Q

sdfhksdlkfhdsahfjksdhf

YES!
 
Yesss! INTERVIEW!

Just received the email and checked my status just be sure.. it's confirmed!

I received the "LECOM Erie Received Your AACOMAS Application" email on the 24th of June!

I'm going August 27th! I guess I'll be seeing some of you guys there!?

For those interested in raw stats, I'm 3.26sci, 3.63nsi, 3.43total, 10.9.10Q

sdfhksdlkfhdsahfjksdhf

YES!

Congrats!!!
 
electric DO, I am trying to find those 10 standard interview questions on SDN. I kept on looking for them and can't find anything. Would you mind forwarding a weblink or something of a sort which will help find those questions? thanks😎

Sorry, they uses to be easier to find. If you go to http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/lecom/survey/27 and at the bottom you should see a section for questions. Click on it to open up the responses. You have to piece together the questions, but reading through them you should get a sense of what to expect. You will see a pattern of the most common questions, as well as some of the more different questions an interviewer might ask. Good luck hunting and in your interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There should be a simpler way on here to find out when everyone is interviewing, I think it would be great to meet some of you guys on interview day! I'm 8/27!😎
 
There should be a simpler way on here to find out when everyone is interviewing, I think it would be great to meet some of you guys on interview day! I'm 8/27!😎
I'm 8/27 as well! Wonder how many of us there'll be that day...When do you plan on getting in/where are you from?
 
Okay, I found some stats on the Internet:

LECOM -Erie Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 6563 applied, 1387 interviewed, 921 were accepted, 436 enrolled
In-state admissions data 850 applied, 444 interviewed, 286 were accepted, 150 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 5713 applied, 943 interviewed, 635 were accepted, 286 enrolled
Women's admissions data 3156 applied, 632 interviewed, 437 were accepted, 202 enrolled
Minority admissions data 1969 applied, 433 interviewed, 168 were accepted, 91 enrolled
International admissions data 0 applied, 0 interviewed, 0 were accepted, 0 enrolled

So, it looks like we have a 66% chance of an acceptance after we make it to the interview. :xf:


(Got these numbers from http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/Lake_Erie_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine.html)

Hm, definitely some interesting numbers, since they're very off from what the official CIB has. For 09-10, they only have 4424 applicants like someone wrote earlier, and 374 matriculants.
 
I'm 8/27 as well! Wonder how many of us there'll be that day...When do you plan on getting in/where are you from?

I'm from Sacramento, CA and will be moving to Omaha, NE really soon! I'll be leaving from Omaha, plane hopefully, and will be getting there on the 26th and leaving the 27th. Hotels aren't cheap! I bet over half of the people on 8/27 will be from SDN... !
 
Everyone has always told me you have to wear a pant suit but seriously, I'm wearing a skirt suit for interviews until it is cooler out. I get overheated really easily as it is and that is SO not what I want to happen during an interview haha.

I'm a girl, too. I don't think there is any such thing as formal business attire that isn't too hot for a heat wave in July!:laugh:

I have two outfits, a skirt suit or a pant suit, that I could potentially wear. Still debating. I hope they have good AC in that building up there.

Haha you two would hate Florida. the "It feels like" has been like 105+ pretty much everyday that it hasn't rained this summer. That is a big selling point for the northern schools. Wearing a suit a few weeks ago was probably the worst thing I have ever had to do. But you all probably dont think 50 is cold like we do down here :laugh:

Is anyone else interviewing on 8/13 or am I the only one?