-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Fall (Anatomy): Gray's Anatomy for Students (Drake), Langmans Medical Embryology (Sadler), and Histology: A Text and Atlas (Ross)DITTO THAT!
I would like to see a current book list...I was fortunate enough to get a new Gray's Anatomy as a desk copy and new Harrison's and Lippincott pharm in the past year (the big daddy)...yay for being an underpaid educator!--but I am sure there are a few more must-haves. Really want to keep book costs down as much as possible. I have a 10+ yo Big Robbins (has pathology changed that much??)...hmmmm.
Thanks all.
Fall (Core): Osteopathic Approach (DiGiovanna), Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques (Nicholas), Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry (Lieberman), Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology (Hall), Medical Microbiology (Murray), Immune System (Parham), Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease (Kumar), and Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (Bickley)
Spring (Core, MSK, and Neuro): Medical Genetics (Jorde), Basic & Clinical Pharmacology (Katzung), Mims' Medical Microbiology (Goering), Musculoskeletal Medicine (Bernstein), Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases (Blumenfeld), Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structure (Haines), Clinical Neurology (Simon), Step Up to the Bedside (Mehta), and Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Board Review (Ghosh)
Comments: The histology book is a complete waste of money. It goes into detail 100x what you'll need for the class. The whole class can be learned from the PowerPoint slides. The OPP books are really expensive, and they say that you have to bring them to lab (they'll warn you about having book checks that count towards your grade)--almost a full year in, no books have been checked, and mine have been collecting dust on a shelf since August. I didn't list an anatomy atlas, as there are sever to choose from. Netter's is great for exams, Rohen's for lab practicals.
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 10 days."
Oh snap! That was fast you guys are right.
Your's says within 10 days! Mine said 30 days. You'll probably get it Tuesday.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much Slane. I have about half those books...nice to know.
What I am about to say is 100% true, despite how awkwardly childish and bizarre it sounds. Histology lab is done in the lecture hall, viewing slides projected on the screen, and drawing them out with colored pencils. If you're a talented artist, you'll get a 5/5 for the lab score, but most people only pulled a 4/5. It's actually kind of a nice break from doing real work. However, for microbiology, you'll perform actual microscopy in the lab and get to play with fun stuff like N. gonorrhea and other nasty little bugs. Micro labs were great, and gross anatomy labs are great too (as long as you're ISP or LDP working with the cadavers.) Histo labs aren't really labs as mentioned above, and neuroanatomy labs are a gigantic waste of time--you sit and look at your atlas for two hours every lab but the first (the first you get to use real brains, which is kinda cool, unless the lights go off in a windowless room with a lab full of people holding brains--then it's pretty creepy.)Does anyone know if Histo lab utlilizes virtual microscopy or do we use actual microscopes?
What I am about to say is 100% true, despite how awkwardly childish and bizarre it sounds. Histology lab is done in the lecture hall, viewing slides projected on the screen, and drawing them out with colored pencils. If you're a talented artist, you'll get a 5/5 for the lab score, but most people only pulled a 4/5. It's actually kind of a nice break from doing real work. However, for microbiology, you'll perform actual microscopy in the lab and get to play with fun stuff like N. gonorrhea and other nasty little bugs. Micro labs were great, and gross anatomy labs are great too (as long as you're ISP or LDP working with the cadavers.) Histo labs aren't really labs as mentioned above, and neuroanatomy labs are a gigantic waste of time--you sit and look at your atlas for two hours every lab but the first (the first you get to use real brains, which is kinda cool, unless the lights go off in a windowless room with a lab full of people holding brains--then it's pretty creepy.)
Thanks for the info....that is really weird but histology is not essential at all..for boards or life (unless your a pathologist) so I understand why they don't invest much into the course. For the lab exams are we expected to draw out images? or do they show images and we are supposed to identify stuff.
I can't draw worth **** 😎
No drawing on exams haha. And most of the questions are just identifying the pictures from the PowerPoint slides and the book.Thanks for the info....that is really weird but histology is not essential at all..for boards or life (unless your a pathologist) so I understand why they don't invest much into the course. For the lab exams are we expected to draw out images? or do they show images and we are supposed to identify stuff.
I can't draw worth **** 😎
Interview: 4/1
Acceptance: 4/9!!!!!!!!!Seton Hill PBL!!!!!!!!!
I still can't believe it!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!!! How pathetic is it when a 21 y/o guy jumps around like an idiot next to his mailbox.
Stats:
GPA: 3.95 cGPA/sGPA
MCAT: 27P
Congrats!!
Interview: 4/1
Acceptance: 4/9!!!!!!!!!Seton Hill PBL!!!!!!!!!
I still can't believe it!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!!! How pathetic is it when a 21 y/o guy jumps around like an idiot next to his mailbox.
Stats:
GPA: 3.95 cGPA/sGPA
MCAT: 27P
LOL - not pathetic at all! Congrats 👍
Interview: 4/1
Acceptance: 4/9!!!!!!!!!Seton Hill PBL!!!!!!!!!
I still can't believe it!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!!! How pathetic is it when a 21 y/o guy jumps around like an idiot next to his mailbox.
Stats:
GPA: 3.95 cGPA/sGPA
MCAT: 27P
Congrats! PBL here as well... and no it's not pathetic at all i'm 33 and I did the same thing but I also teared up a bit as well.....now thats pathetic LOL. See you soon. 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question.....can you be accepted at both Seton Hill and Erie or do they only give you one choice? I was accepted to Seton Hill but I would really prefer the Erie campus....
You only get accepted one or the other. Likely Erie PBL is full, there are only ~40 spots at Erie and 100+ at Seton Hill. You can call and ask to switch to Erie PBL but as I said it is probably full and you will end up on a waitlist... I'm not for sure on this, but I think people tried to do this last year, and to get on the waitlist at Erie you had to give up your seat at Seton Hill... Again if someone has actually experience with this they could chime in, but I believe that is the deal with switching pathways.
im interviewing on friday! any recs???? im freaking out
Also, i will flying into buffalo early afternoon and i am planning on visiting the niagara falls (25mins from buffalo apparently). anyone care to join?
Also, i will flying into buffalo early afternoon and i am planning on visiting the niagara falls (25mins from buffalo apparently). anyone care to join?
VascSurg. I interviewed last week (4/1) and was accepted. First off it's group (6 students & 2 faculty.) It also is closed file. The faculty have no idea who you are, what your grades are, what school you went to or your MCAT score.
IMHO the point of the interview was for the faculty to develop an impression of your moral fiber, general understanding of the nature of medicine with respect to a simple understanding of how the healthcare system works and that medicine is still a business. In my group's interview, there were only a few direct questions about individuals (ie candidate XYZ, tell me about a difficulty experience and how you overcame it?) In these cases only the person who was asked the questions answered. -They tell you at the beginning that anyone can chime in to answer any questions they would like-.
They also asked rather broad, ambiguous questions about ethic and social policy (health care related) which seemed to encourage group discussion. I feel that they wanted to watch the students take sides and present logical arguments and receive criticism of their ideas. I believe content of your argument mattered only if was not flat out wrong, immoral, racist or condescending. Wether your views are right or left, I don't believe they care as long as the professionalism with which you presented it (ie not being cocky, but having confidence in your voice) and the tact with which you accepted criticism of your statements.
There was also a period for you to ask questions, but I would not spend any time asking questions that could be answered by reading their website or calling admissions.
Overall, I felt much more comfortable in this interview than a 1 on 1. If you don't have much to say on the topics that are being brought up, that's fine. Try and segway into something similar that you are more familiar/comfortable with talking about. The faculty seemed to really want to engage the students on things they were willing to talk about. So if you throw them a line they will likely bite and ask you more questions on that topic.
Overall, everything was very cordial, friendly and relaxed. Low pressure. You've earned the right to interview and made the cut. They aren't interested in why you should be interviewing so don't plan on making a defense of yourself. Show them you are knowledgeable, professional, kind and amicable to disagree with and that you will be a great addition to their school and the medical profession.
Hope that helps, sorry I was long winded.
Anyone else get similar vibes?
Good luck!
IMHO the point of the interview was for the faculty to develop an impression of your moral fiber, general understanding of the nature of medicine with respect to a simple understanding of how the healthcare system works and that medicine is still a business. In my group's interview, there were only a few direct questions about individuals (ie candidate XYZ, tell me about a difficulty experience and how you overcame it?) In these cases only the person who was asked the questions answered. -They tell you at the beginning that anyone can chime in to answer any questions they would like-.
They also asked rather broad, ambiguous questions about ethic and social policy (health care related) which seemed to encourage group discussion. I feel that they wanted to watch the students take sides and present logical arguments and receive criticism of their ideas. I believe content of your argument mattered only if was not flat out wrong, immoral, racist or condescending. Wether your views are right or left, I don't believe they care as long as the professionalism with which you presented it (ie not being cocky, but having confidence in your voice) and the tact with which you accepted criticism of your statements.
There was also a period for you to ask questions, but I would not spend any time asking questions that could be answered by reading their website or calling admissions.
Overall, I felt much more comfortable in this interview than a 1 on 1. If you don't have much to say on the topics that are being brought up, that's fine. Try and segway into something similar that you are more familiar/comfortable with talking about. The faculty seemed to really want to engage the students on things they were willing to talk about. So if you throw them a line they will likely bite and ask you more questions on that topic.
Overall, everything was very cordial, friendly and relaxed. Low pressure. You've earned the right to interview and made the cut. They aren't interested in why you should be interviewing so don't plan on making a defense of yourself. Show them you are knowledgeable, professional, kind and amicable to disagree with and that you will be a great addition to their school and the medical profession.
Hope that helps, sorry I was long winded.
Anyone else get similar vibes?
Good luck!
VascSurg. I interviewed last week (4/1) and was accepted. First off it's group (6 students & 2 faculty.) It also is closed file. The faculty have no idea who you are, what your grades are, what school you went to or your MCAT score.
IMHO the point of the interview was for the faculty to develop an impression of your moral fiber, general understanding of the nature of medicine with respect to a simple understanding of how the healthcare system works and that medicine is still a business. In my group's interview, there were only a few direct questions about individuals (ie candidate XYZ, tell me about a difficulty experience and how you overcame it?) In these cases only the person who was asked the questions answered. -They tell you at the beginning that anyone can chime in to answer any questions they would like-.
They also asked rather broad, ambiguous questions about ethic and social policy (health care related) which seemed to encourage group discussion. I feel that they wanted to watch the students take sides and present logical arguments and receive criticism of their ideas. I believe content of your argument mattered only if was not flat out wrong, immoral, racist or condescending. Wether your views are right or left, I don't believe they care as long as the professionalism with which you presented it (ie not being cocky, but having confidence in your voice) and the tact with which you accepted criticism of your statements.
There was also a period for you to ask questions, but I would not spend any time asking questions that could be answered by reading their website or calling admissions.
Overall, I felt much more comfortable in this interview than a 1 on 1. If you don't have much to say on the topics that are being brought up, that's fine. Try and segway into something similar that you are more familiar/comfortable with talking about. The faculty seemed to really want to engage the students on things they were willing to talk about. So if you throw them a line they will likely bite and ask you more questions on that topic.
Overall, everything was very cordial, friendly and relaxed. Low pressure. You've earned the right to interview and made the cut. They aren't interested in why you should be interviewing so don't plan on making a defense of yourself. Show them you are knowledgeable, professional, kind and amicable to disagree with and that you will be a great addition to their school and the medical profession.
Hope that helps, sorry I was long winded.
Anyone else get similar vibes?
Good luck!
amt,
First of all congrats on your acceptance!!
Thank you for the informations..honestly you knocked down about 50% of my nerves!
If i may ask, what were some of the ethics and healthcare questions they asked?
Healthcare related:
Is healthcare a fundamental right or do only those who can afford it deserve it?
Who would be more deserving of an organ transplant, a vietnam veteran who contracted HepC from a transfusion after being shot or an IV drug user? Why?
How should we determine how much physicians make? Should some specialties make drastically more than others?
Ethics:
How would you handle a situation in which you believe a fellow student was cheating?
How do you deal with difficult/rude/irrational patient's? (tough one if you don't have much patient care experience)
How do you determine what care is appropriate in end of life care?
This is a good sample. The questions really don't wrong or right. Just answer intelligently and tactfully!
Is healthcare a fundamental right or do only those who can afford it deserve it?
Who would be more deserving of an organ transplant, a vietnam veteran who contracted HepC from a transfusion after being shot or an IV drug user? Why?
How should we determine how much physicians make? Should some specialties make drastically more than others?
Ethics:
How would you handle a situation in which you believe a fellow student was cheating?
How do you deal with difficult/rude/irrational patient's? (tough one if you don't have much patient care experience)
How do you determine what care is appropriate in end of life care?
This is a good sample. The questions really don't wrong or right. Just answer intelligently and tactfully!
Healthcare related:
Is healthcare a fundamental right or do only those who can afford it deserve it?
Who would be more deserving of an organ transplant, a vietnam veteran who contracted HepC from a transfusion after being shot or an IV drug user? Why?
How should we determine how much physicians make? Should some specialties make drastically more than others?
Ethics:
How would you handle a situation in which you believe a fellow student was cheating?
How do you deal with difficult/rude/irrational patient's? (tough one if you don't have much patient care experience)
How do you determine what care is appropriate in end of life care?
This is a good sample. The questions really don't wrong or right. Just answer intelligently and tactfully!
Thank you amt, I really appreciate it!! I hope we meet in fall (this is def my first choice school).
Quick question.....can you be accepted at both Seton Hill and Erie or do they only give you one choice? I was accepted to Seton Hill but I would really prefer the Erie campus....
koukla: You can ask to be waitlisted at the Erie campus, but just out of curiousity what are you reasons for wanting to go to Erie?
At least for me, there is more to do in the Greensburg area than in Erie (not that med students really get to do a lot besides studying though) and the weather is definitely not as bad.
I mean of course there are drawbacks to Seton Hill like virtual dissections (which honestly doesn't bother me), the fact that the branch campus is new so there's no knowing how successful the graduating class will be, also that we're "isolated" from the Erie class. But there are pros and cons to every school I'm sure.
Last edited:
koukla: You can ask to be waitlisted at the Erie campus, but just out of curiousity what are you reasons for wanting to go to Erie?
At least for me, there is more to do in the Greensburg area than in Erie (not that med students really get to do a lot besides studying though) and the weather is definitely not as bad.
I mean of course there are drawbacks to Seton Hill like virtual dissections (which honestly doesn't bother me), the fact that the branch campus is new so there's no knowing how successful the graduating class will be, also that we're "isolated" from the Erie class. But there are pros and cons to every school I'm sure.
I see you in almost every thread I enter, haha. I grew up in Erie, I love the city. Tons to do there for me even though I've been there so long (though you feel the same way about Seton Hill, it is a huge benefit to already know the area, makes one more comfortable too). I'm sure the Seton Hill class will be just as successful as any of the other LECOM classes. They know what they're doing by now I hope. But yes, the weather is worse in Erie. When I interviewed it was snowing badly, I got there 15 minutes before anyone else and they all wondered how I got there so fast. I had to explain to them that my old house was five minutes away and I'd driven through many Erie winters.
I see you in almost every thread I enter, haha. I grew up in Erie, I love the city. Tons to do there for me even though I've been there so long (though you feel the same way about Seton Hill, it is a huge benefit to already know the area, makes one more comfortable too). I'm sure the Seton Hill class will be just as successful as any of the other LECOM classes. They know what they're doing by now I hope. But yes, the weather is worse in Erie. When I interviewed it was snowing badly, I got there 15 minutes before anyone else and they all wondered how I got there so fast. I had to explain to them that my old house was five minutes away and I'd driven through many Erie winters.
Ha ha yes we must've applied to all of the same schools! Hopefully we are classmates next year! Well...that is if I get into TCMC (if I ever receive a decision from there that is) but I think I will most likely make the alternate list because even though I thought my interview went really well, and my GPA, EC's, PS, etc... are all good, my MCAT score of 27P (bad semester, took too many credits, excuses, excuses, blah blah blah ha ha) might not make the cut for them. Fingers crossed that they look past that number
.1 Bedroom is available in a 4 bedroom house, about half a mile from campus. Rent is $330 a month plus all utilities (split 4 ways). 3 other tenets, we are all going to be first year med students. House contains a two car garage and walk in-closets. If anyone would like more info, please PM or email me at [email protected]
For the medical forms, is a PPD/TB required before you submit them? It says "a 2 stop PPD is required within a year of matriculation," but there's also a spot for it on the form you turn in. Thanks!
I submitted mine without it and got an email from Jamie saying that it needs to be completed before matriculation. If you hear something else let me know because I was trying to put it off til I move up to Erie.
So, I applied to this school back in October and my application is still under review...How are people applying weeks ago and already hearing back?
If they don't want to accept me, shouldn't they already have sent a rejection by now? I called the admissions office today, and she told me that my application is still under review and was sorry she couldn't tell me more.
As this application cycle winds down, I'd really like to decide what school I want to go to, and LECOM was high up on my list at the start of the cycle. I still want to interview here, but I just haven't heard anything from them in months. Any suggestions/ideas??
If they don't want to accept me, shouldn't they already have sent a rejection by now? I called the admissions office today, and she told me that my application is still under review and was sorry she couldn't tell me more.
As this application cycle winds down, I'd really like to decide what school I want to go to, and LECOM was high up on my list at the start of the cycle. I still want to interview here, but I just haven't heard anything from them in months. Any suggestions/ideas??
So, I applied to this school back in October and my application is still under review...How are people applying weeks ago and already hearing back?
If they don't want to accept me, shouldn't they already have sent a rejection by now? I called the admissions office today, and she told me that my application is still under review and was sorry she couldn't tell me more.
As this application cycle winds down, I'd really like to decide what school I want to go to, and LECOM was high up on my list at the start of the cycle. I still want to interview here, but I just haven't heard anything from them in months. Any suggestions/ideas??
I was hoping to be considered for ISP (3 year primary care pathway) since I already have a DDS degree. My application has been under review for a while now to.
I'm on two wait lists at 2 schools I really like, Lecom was one of my top 3 choices, but I never heard back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
with no interview and status saying they will mail you a letter in 30 days, thats a rejection correct?
That is not a good sign sorry.
Is any one interviewing on Thursday? And does anyone know how many spots they might have left, I know it's kind of late for an interview.
How long does LECOM interview?
Good luck your interview and of course they have spots!
Any erie locals: How important is it to have a garage?
Any erie locals: How important is it to have a garage?
Good luck your interview and of course they have spots!
Any erie locals: How important is it to have a garage?
Put it this way, do you enjoy cleaning 6+ inches of snow off your car every morning ? 😀
I would take no garage + snow removal over garage without snow removal.
Bingo! A garage is great, but if you can't get from your garage to the street, you're just as screwed and will still have to clear snow. Garage and snow removal is the best combo to find.I would take no garage + snow removal over garage without snow removal.
Garage plus snow removal is worth about $100 per month in rent to me.
Two questions:
1. Does anyone have the booklist for next year?
2. Does anyone have a recent match list for Erie?
Thanks
1. Does anyone have the booklist for next year?
2. Does anyone have a recent match list for Erie?
Thanks
As of right now, only the 2010-11 book lists are posted on the portal. I haven't seen a match list yet, but am eager to. The flash drive they gave us at the interview has last year's on it and it looked pretty good.
As of right now, only the 2010-11 book lists are posted on the portal. I haven't seen a match list yet, but am eager to. The flash drive they gave us at the interview has last year's on it and it looked pretty good.
If you look on the portal under students, at the very top are match lists from 2010 for both Erie and Bradenton. I have no idea when they will post 2011 match lists.
The book list will probably be emailed to you in May... I believe thats when we got ours last year. I wouldn't start buying books but yet, but they will likely be very similar... There will be new editions for some books, and I have heard talk of possibly changing Micro, Neuro and Immunology. There are some people who use older editions of books because they could find them for cheaper... I don't believe those people have had any problems.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my experience, using a text that is one edition old is usually fine. The text is identical for the most part, and the practice questions are event the same, but the numbering is usually off due to adding new questions. This is how it was in my organic chemistry class in undergrad, at least.
Does anyone know how quickly we might hear back? I interviewed on Friday. I also heard that at this point people are only being wait-listed until spots open up later, can anyone confirm or deny this?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 226K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K
Seton Hill PBL!!!!!!!!!