LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I took advantage of it. It is $74 for all the titers, you just need to run by LECOM and pick up a lab order form. They can do any immunizations and your ppd if you need those too!
 
I took advantage of it. It is $74 for all the titers, you just need to run by LECOM and pick up a lab order form. They can do any immunizations and your ppd if you need those too!

Same here, and it saved me a ton of money. My only issue was that they told me they could only do immunizations early in the am, and I was only there for the afternoon. I'll have to wait until I move.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just throwing this out there - i actually used a CVS minute clinic for my TDaP ($94) and my ppd ($27 x 2) - my insurance sent me a check for the TDaP which was nice but it was quick and easy to get these done at CVS
 
So we haven't gotten the packet yet, but since there isn't much time we are trying to get as much done as possible as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what titers are needed, or any other info on what needs to get done. Thanks y'all are all so awesome on here 🙂
 
So we haven't gotten the packet yet, but since there isn't much time we are trying to get as much done as possible as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what titers are needed, or any other info on what needs to get done. Thanks y'all are all so awesome on here 🙂

Vaccines:
DTP
Tdap
Adult Tetanus
Polio
Hep B
2 Step PPD

Titers:
Varicella
Rubella
Rubeola
Mumps
Hep B

The entire form must be filled in.

If you want, I can email the matriculation packet to you. It's a several page pdf.
 
This is my first time using this so hopefully I did it right. I just got a call from LECOM offering me a position in ISP. I am a little nervous because it is not the traditional learning format. Has it been extremely difficult?

I would take it if I were you. I have done extremely well in it and if you don't like it you can always switch over to LDP after the 1st semester. There is always an extremely long waiting list of LDPers that want to get into ISP if that tells you anything!
 
Late acceptance to lecom...Anyone still trying to fill a room? I assume its going to be pretty tough to get any places near campus now. Any insight would be great. PM me or post reply.
 
Late acceptance to lecom...Anyone still trying to fill a room? I assume its going to be pretty tough to get any places near campus now. Any insight would be great. PM me or post reply.
TO THOSE STILL LOOKING FOR HOUSING:

- RENT- 700/MONTH (!!!)
- Westin Townhome owned by Palermo
- Needs to be rented ASAP but definitely JULY 1
- PET FRIENDLY, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, spacious living room and kitchen (with attached deck), finished basement with washer/dryer hook ups, new paint job, carpets were just washed
- 7 minutes from LECOM main campus, 9 minutes from LECOM Bayfront campus
 
I'm going to Seton Hill, but I have to get a few vaccine shots does anyone know a cheap place to get them?
Cheapest places would be Millcreek Community Hospital if you'll be in Erie at all (they discount them pretty well for students) or your local Department of Health office, they should offer all that you need and give you a much better deal than getting them done in a doctor's office (I think Hepatitis B was $30 at the DoH and was going to be like $90 from my family doc.)
 
I'm going to Seton Hill, but I have to get a few vaccine shots does anyone know a cheap place to get them?
I would definitely check out your local Department of Health. I'm not sure if your local one has this program, but here in Dallas, there is a waver that you sign saying "your insurance does not cover the cost" which drops the price for all of the shots to $10 dollars. I received my MMR Booster (regularly $70 at DoH / $200 at the doctors) for $10 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just declined my LDP spot. One of you lucky sumnabiches should get an email soon hopefully! GL
 
Hey I heard through the grape vine that NYCOM doesn't look at primaries until september or october... is this right? When should we expect to see invitations to interviews? Also has anyone sent in their secondaries? Did any of you talk to admissions and did they tell you this is okay?
 
Hey I heard through the grape vine that NYCOM doesn't look at primaries until september or october... is this right? When should we expect to see invitations to interviews? Also has anyone sent in their secondaries? Did any of you talk to admissions and did they tell you this is okay?

Wrong thread I think. Try NYCOM one - I believe it is just one below this one - I have no idea when they look at primaries there.
 
Seriously? They want you to get nice clothes all... icky?
Yes... Which is ridiculous because everybody just goes to Goodwill and grabs the first thing they see that fits. So while everyone is in "professional dress", they all look like a blind person from the seventies picked out their outfits... Scrubs would be a much better option IMO, but it'll never happen.
 
Yes... Which is ridiculous because everybody just goes to Goodwill and grabs the first thing they see that fits. So while everyone is in "professional dress", they all look like a blind person from the seventies picked out their outfits... Scrubs would be a much better option IMO, but it'll never happen.

Best laugh I have had all week! :laugh:
 
Is there an actual facebook page for the class of 2015? All I see is a blank page. Want to get to know my classmates...
 
Is there an actual facebook page for the class of 2015? All I see is a blank page. Want to get to know my classmates...

Hey! Yeah there is, just search for LECOM Class of 2015, there's a bunch of us over there!
 
he was admitted off the waitlist. I'm sure he will get ticked when he finds out I posted this, but is anyone still looking for a roommate?

He needs to get everything done quickly.
 
Strange. I don't see any members. Just see 7 people liking it. Do you have to be invited or something?

Hmm the group is open, I think that is the facebook page, search under groups for LECOM class of 2015 and there are about 200 members.

Windy123- have your son join the facebook group LECOM class of 2015, there are a bunch of people still looking for roommates on there.
 
Hmm the group is open, I think that is the facebook page, search under groups for LECOM class of 2015 and there are about 200 members.

Windy123- have your son join the facebook group LECOM class of 2015, there are a bunch of people still looking for roommates on there.
Found it!!! Thanks. My work PC was blocking the full version of fb.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Students with pets should contact Cidar Mill Apartments @ 5200 Henderson Road, Erie 16509. Unlike most of the other complexes near Erie, they were extremely pet friendly. Reasonable cost, 11 minute drive to campus, and very nice and spacious apartments w/ balconeys. contact Tammy 814-825-3517
 
I was accepted to the ISP pathway a while ago and took it. I know that ISPers are allowed to go to all the LDP lectures, so I guess my question is--what're the other differences between ISP and LDP?

I've been thinking of switching to LDP..how easy is this to do? Is it possible to do mid-semester if I can't do it before school starts? For that matter, are there any LDP students who would like to switch with me in ISP?

Thanks all, this thread has been very helpful so far and I look forward to meeting you all soon.
 
I was accepted to the ISP pathway a while ago and took it. I know that ISPers are allowed to go to all the LDP lectures, so I guess my question is--what're the other differences between ISP and LDP?

I've been thinking of switching to LDP..how easy is this to do? Is it possible to do mid-semester if I can't do it before school starts? For that matter, are there any LDP students who would like to switch with me in ISP?

Thanks all, this thread has been very helpful so far and I look forward to meeting you all soon.
You won't have a problem switching into LDP, but it's next to impossible to switch out of LDP into something else. I would say see how anatomy goes and then decide before core starts, since all three pathways take anatomy together as LDP for the first thirteen weeks, it'll give you an idea of what it's like.
 
Thanks for the input.

So am I right in assuming the only difference between LDP and ISP is that ISP students are not required to (but still have the option to) attend lectures?
 
Thanks for the input.

So am I right in assuming the only difference between LDP and ISP is that ISP students are not required to (but still have the option to) attend lectures?

Actually, there are big differences between the two pathways. ISP gets modules for each system/course which have been prewritten by clinical and basic science faculty which can many times vary significantly from the material presented in lecture. In addition, the objectives given in the ISP modules may be markedly different from lecture objectives and the written exams are different from each other. Since that is the case, ISP students pretty much never go to lecture (but they can....but what would be the point...).
 
Actually, there are big differences between the two pathways. ISP gets modules for each system/course which have been prewritten by clinical and basic science faculty which can many times vary significantly from the material presented in lecture. In addition, the objectives given in the ISP modules may be markedly different from lecture objectives and the written exams are different from each other. Since that is the case, ISP students pretty much never go to lecture (but they can....but what would be the point...).
Yeah, lectures are pretty much useless for ISP, I don't think I really knew of anybody that went last year. A lot of times, the lectures are given by multiple faculty members whereas the module is written by one, so you can end up getting conflicting information and such. It's just easier to follow the module and not chance it.
 
Hey everyone, I just got accepted off of the wait list, although I haven't accepted. Can someone post some information about rotations during 3rd and 4th year and how established they are. I heard that Lecom doesn't pay affiliated hospitals for rotations. That just sounds a little sketchy to me.
 
Hey a question for those who have been in the post bacc. I sent in my AACOMAS app for this cycle but I am planning on attending the post bacc for this coming Fall. Can I still interview for LECOM this summer and then not go to the post bacc if I get in or will they know I'm planning to do the post bacc and not interview me until later?
 
Quick question, and forgive me if this has been answered already. I was supposed to be at the SH campus and just got offered a spot in LDP at Erie (I had a hard time finding dog friendly housing there so I took it). NE ways....

How possible is it (Im already on the list) to switch from LDP to PBL? I REALLY don't like lecture....I am sort of kicking myself for owning dogs right now LOL
 
Quick question, and forgive me if this has been answered already. I was supposed to be at the SH campus and just got offered a spot in LDP at Erie (I had a hard time finding dog friendly housing there so I took it). NE ways....

How possible is it (Im already on the list) to switch from LDP to PBL? I REALLY don't like lecture....I am sort of kicking myself for owning dogs right now LOL

I don't know if it's easier to switch from ISP to PBL since ISP is apparently wanted by a lot of students...but if so, I'll switch you ISP for your LDP at Erie.

Also, ISP doesn't require lectures if that's the only thing holding you back from LDP.
 
I don't know if it's easier to switch from ISP to PBL since ISP is apparently wanted by a lot of students...but if so, I'll switch you ISP for your LDP at Erie.

Also, ISP doesn't require lectures if that's the only thing holding you back from LDP.

Thanks! I am really looking for PBL though, not ISP. I'm a non trad and I think PBL would suit me better...SO, you are ISP looking for LDP? Isn't that supposed to be the easy way to switch?
 
Thanks! I am really looking for PBL though, not ISP. I'm a non trad and I think PBL would suit me better...SO, you are ISP looking for LDP? Isn't that supposed to be the easy way to switch?

Yup, from what I've heard, and I'm hoping I can get it squared away before school starts.

Good luck on the switch to PBL! Would you wanna do PBL @ Erie, or are you open to PBL @ Seton Hill? I know a kid at SH who was thinking about switching to LDP-Erie.
 
Can anyone give a review on any of these places to stay in Erie: royal villa, boston store place, presque view, landmark square, winchester.

Thanks!!!!
 
Yup, from what I've heard, and I'm hoping I can get it squared away before school starts.

Good luck on the switch to PBL! Would you wanna do PBL @ Erie, or are you open to PBL @ Seton Hill? I know a kid at SH who was thinking about switching to LDP-Erie.

I'd hold off on trying to get out of ISP now and wait until after anatomy ends. During gross anatomy, both LDP and ISP are required to attend lecture. Thats around 3 months to test out LDP. And after anatomy ends and ISP is freed from lecture, you should have no problem getting into LDP if you want.
 
Last edited:
This is a bit off topic but for those of you who have been in Erie during the winter, does the lake freeze over?

(I know usually the entire lake doesn't freeze over, I am asking about the part that is visible from Erie)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a bit off topic but for those of you who have been in Erie during the winter, does the lake freeze over?

(I know usually the entire lake doesn't freeze over, I am asking about the part that is visible from Erie)
Yes.
 
Hey, I was recently admitted to LECOM. I have a question regarding the background check:

Do we have to go to separate places for the drug screen and alcohol screen? I was under the impression that the urine drug screen would cover it all, but then I received my acceptance letter yesterday and it said that I need to have an alcohol screening test administered by my physician.

What do you guys think?
 
Hey, I was recently admitted to LECOM. I have a question regarding the background check:

Do we have to go to separate places for the drug screen and alcohol screen? I was under the impression that the urine drug screen would cover it all, but then I received my acceptance letter yesterday and it said that I need to have an alcohol screening test administered by my physician.

What do you guys think?

don't drink for a few days-->Go to a doc-->pee in a cup-->have lab look for EtOH 👍