LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I have lived in southwestern PA all my life and there definitely is not as much snow here as up in Erie.

I am a SH OMS-1. The campus down here is is just beautiful, rolling green hills, tree lined driveway, just gorgeous. We have access to the Seton Hill Univ buildings as well and they are also very beautiful. The school has a much smaller feel to it than Erie because it is smaller - there are only 100 students per class down here whereas Erie is about 250. The faculty here are just great - very accessible and friendly. Just a few weeks into class, lots of the faculty will already know your name. It's all PBL down here, of course, but this is such a fun way to learn if you can self motivate to keep up with your independent studying.

We have all the same rules as Erie - dress code, no food/drink, assigned seats for lectures, mandatory attendance at everything. You get used to it. 😛 About the only thing I regret is that we don't have the Wellness Center down here. I would love to have a gym like that. You can use the SH Univ facilities but they are quite modest.

Do you mind if you tell us a little more about PBL pathway at SH? TIA.
 
I just got a recruitment email about LECOM, from Dr. James Moore.

I actually am interested in applying to LECOM, but my question is, how does LECOM come up with the list of people to email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got a recruitment email about LECOM, from Dr. James Moore.

I actually am interested in applying to LECOM, but my question is, how does LECOM come up with the list of people to email?

Not sure, I got that email last year December, and at that time, I filled out AACOMAS application but didn't submit it.
 
Not sure, I got that email last year December, and at that time, I filled out AACOMAS application but didn't submit it.

I think the schools have access to the database of people who have taken the MCAT.
 
So anyone wanna speculate regarding the percent of interview applicants who get accepted? I'd guess roughly 50 %. Any takers?

According to LECOM-B stats: ~800 interviewed, ~280 'accepted' (~200 initial, and ~80 off the waitlist) the info is from the interview. So I'd say AT MOST, 30-35%, and most schools its ~25% which is the initial acceptance percentage
 
According to LECOM-B stats: ~800 interviewed, ~280 'accepted' (~200 initial, and ~80 off the waitlist) the info is from the interview. So I'd say AT MOST, 30-35%, and most schools its ~25% which is the initial acceptance percentage

I heard that many schools will "over-accept" applicants in an effort to adjust for people who decline their offer. I don't know if this is true or not but if it is wouldn't that boost your estimate up a bit?
 
I heard that many schools will "over-accept" applicants in an effort to adjust for people who decline their offer. I don't know if this is true or not but if it is wouldn't that boost your estimate up a bit?
I can only base it on what they said. However, I assume that is correct, if there are 200 slots, and they accept 280, they would probably have a fair number that don't accept etc... I know we were told at our LECOM-B interview that we were only going to be accepted or waitlisted. I don't know if that changes later in the season, but if it doesn't, they have a 600 person 'accepted' waitlist...
 
I can only base it on what they said. However, I assume that is correct, if there are 200 slots, and they accept 280, they would probably have a fair number that don't accept etc... I know we were told at our LECOM-B interview that we were only going to be accepted or waitlisted. I don't know if that changes later in the season, but if it doesn't, they have a 600 person 'accepted' waitlist...

I wonder if the Erie ADCOM does it the same way. I can't imagine them only accepting or waitlisting all the applicants so far. Did you interview at Erie as well?
 
I just got a recruitment email about LECOM, from Dr. James Moore.

I actually am interested in applying to LECOM, but my question is, how does LECOM come up with the list of people to email?
yea it comes from taking the MCAT...I got one from LECOM, UofM, Alabama MSTP and Temple School of Podiatric Medicine lol
 
Do they have access to our MCAT scores?

I'm thinking yes. Because on MCAT THx website, it indicates that all the AMCAS schools have access to our scores, and all we have to do for the AACOMAS schools to see our scores is to send a request from MCAT Thx. The schools probably send us those recruitment e-mails regardless of our scores just so we apply and they make money.
 
Quick question:

Thinking of adding this school to my list of 14 other DO schools I applied to at the last minute. I've been verified since 7/1 but my husband said he didn't want to live in Erie so I never added this school. Recently, however, he has said he would rather live there (or almost anywhere) than the school I currently have an interview at (go figure). Do you think it would be worth my time to apply this late in the game to LECOM-E with my stats?

3.49cum/3.3sci gpa
25R MCAT 10vb/8ps/7bs (on a previous MCAT I scored an 8bs)
Top 20 uni
Full time Emergency Trauma Tech position all of undergrad (45+ hrs/wk)
President of volunteer group
Extra stuff...the usual.

Thanks. Worried because I know that MANY LECOM-E spots are filled already because they were the first school to start interviewing.
 
Does anyone know where I can find a recent match list for LECOM-E? One that shows the different hospitals or geographic locations (at this point I'm not really concerned about special fields).

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know where I can find a recent match list for LECOM-E? One that shows the different hospitals or geographic locations (at this point I'm not really concerned about special fields).

Thanks

I think the only way to get the most recent one is to go to an interview. They give you a flash drive with all of their most recent match and research info
 
Quick question:

Thinking of adding this school to my list of 14 other DO schools I applied to at the last minute. I've been verified since 7/1 but my husband said he didn't want to live in Erie so I never added this school. Recently, however, he has said he would rather live there (or almost anywhere) than the school I currently have an interview at (go figure). Do you think it would be worth my time to apply this late in the game to LECOM-E with my stats?

3.49cum/3.3sci gpa
25R MCAT 10vb/8ps/7bs (on a previous MCAT I scored an 8bs)
Top 20 uni
Full time Emergency Trauma Tech position all of undergrad (45+ hrs/wk)
President of volunteer group
Extra stuff...the usual.

Thanks. Worried because I know that MANY LECOM-E spots are filled already because they were the first school to start interviewing.

Many spots fill and then open up... most of us are willing to cough out 1500$ for a 'sure thing' and people will leave if they get accepted to their top choice... it is a huge money maker for the LECOM system... there are plenty of spots left...
 
So quiet here today, unlike last week when they made a decision. I guess we are all waiting for the final news in silence.
 
So quiet here today, unlike last week when they made a decision. I guess we are all waiting for the final news in silence.

I'm just trying not to think about it...which makes me think about it more. I swear, the more time that passes after my interview, the worse I think I did. When I walked out of it, I thought for sure I nailed it. A couple days later, I was thinking that I just did okay. Now I'm wondering why they didn't just ask me to leave mid-interview.
 
I'm just trying not to think about it...which makes me think about it more. I swear, the more time that passes after my interview, the worse I think I did. When I walked out of it, I thought for sure I nailed it. A couple days later, I was thinking that I just did okay. Now I'm wondering why they didn't just ask me to leave mid-interview.

I hear you. At least, this is what everyone else has told me about their interview day but I hope for the best. :xf:
 
Many spots fill and then open up... most of us are willing to cough out 1500$ for a 'sure thing' and people will leave if they get accepted to their top choice... it is a huge money maker for the LECOM system... there are plenty of spots left...

Thanks. I just applied. It feels weird doing it so late, but who knows - maybe I'll get lucky.
 
Do you mind if you tell us a little more about PBL pathway at SH? TIA.

I'm only a first year in week 8 so I am not exactly an expert on PBL but here goes... The first few months in this track there are lecture based courses like embryo, histo, and anatomy so we only have "PBL lite" or one session a week. After a few months when Anatomy is over we transition to regular PBL which is two hours three times per week. We work in groups of 8 students and there is a faculty facilitator to keep us on track. In PBL we get a case and then discuss what we should do as far as tests/labs, what the patient might have, etc. Then we decide what we don't know and figure out what chapters from texts we will read before the next session (note that we get chapters from textbooks here and there and don't go straight through a text as in a traditional curriculum). It is a lot of independent study and though you are not in class much you will have to put in the hours yourself - they are telling us 50 hours per week of independent study is reasonable. We haven't had any PBL tests yet but they track each group's readings and each group's test is based on what they have studied (could vary from group to group). I like it so far, I hate sitting in lectures all day and have trouble paying attention in that environment. PBL is interactive and engaging. You will have to decide if you want traditional lectures with Power Points all day or small group work with lots and lots of independent study.

Hey, by the way, I heard there were interviewees here today! Just so you know, on Tuesdays they let us wear gym clothes all day because we have OPP lab and, unlike at Erie there are no changing facilities here. So, all the other days of the week we have to wear dress code. 😉
 
I just scheduled my interview, but the earliest date available on the "self-scheduler" online was January 6th!!! That seems so far away... do you think it's worth emailing the person in charge of scheduling to see if anything sooner is available? I don't want to be a pest, but at the same time, January seems like a long time to wait...
 
I just scheduled my interview, but the earliest date available on the "self-scheduler" online was January 6th!!! That seems so far away... do you think it's worth emailing the person in charge of scheduling to see if anything sooner is available? I don't want to be a pest, but at the same time, January seems like a long time to wait...

Nothing to lose, actually people at the admissions office are pretty helpful. I would give it a try.
 
Hi,

I really want to apply to this school. But I have a 3.3 c/sgpa and my mcat is 23P (9/4/10). Is there anyway I might get accepted, or should i just withdraw?

Thanks,
feeling-down

PS. I just received those scores today and I've been verified since July 8th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I really want to apply to this school. But I have a 3.3 c/sgpa and my mcat is 23P (9/4/10). Is there anyway I might get accepted, or should i just withdraw?

Thanks,
feeling-down

PS. I just received those scores today and I've been verified since July 8th.

You need to retake the MCAT in Jan. You don't have to withdraw per-se, but you need to get that 4 GONE... It is lower than the minimum for all the schools cutoffs. Not sure which section it is, but you have to fix it... it needs to be at least a 6 or 7... GPA is probably fine... I would change your AACOMAS to saying you're retaking the MCAT and try to get that score up... make sure you're taking practice tests etc... Best of luck!
 
My wife called while I was at work. I knew right away it was for the letter received from LECOM today. I had to run to men's room to hide my tears that I haven't had since my childhood. This was the best news I've ever had in a long, long time.

I guess the letters are arriving for those who were interviewed earlier on (mine was on 9/9). I hope you guys all have the same good news.
 
Last edited:
My wife called while I was at work. I knew right away it was for the letter received from LECOM today. I had to go to men's room to hide my tears that I haven't had since my childhood. This was the best new I've ever had in a long, long time.

I guess the letters are arrving for those who were interviewed earlier on (mine was on 9/12). I hope you guys all have the same good news.

Congrats, brother! I also interviewed on 9/9...I've been checking the mailbox every hour all day!
 
My wife called while I was at work. I knew right away it was for the letter received from LECOM today. I had to go to men's room to hide my tears that I haven't had since my childhood. This was the best new I've ever had in a long, long time.

I guess the letters are arrving for those who were interviewed earlier on (mine was on 9/9). I hope you guys all have the same good news.
Do you mind me asking where you live? I am out on the west coast so don't want to get my hopes too high for a letter today if you live near Erie!
 
Do you mind me asking where you live? I am out on the west coast so don't want to get my hopes too high for a letter today if you live near Erie!

I live in Illinois, which is closer to Erie than the west coast.
 
My wife called while I was at work. I knew right away it was for the letter received from LECOM today. I had to go to men's room to hide my tears that I haven't had since my childhood. This was the best news I've ever had in a long, long time.

I guess the letters are arrving for those who were interviewed earlier on (mine was on 9/9). I hope you guys all have the same good news.

Congrats LUCPM! I just found out the good news too- PBL pathway! I saw your MDapps link and realized that I am the girl who was sitting directly to your left during the interview. I am so very happy for you and your family. I had the same reaction- crying with happiness and disbelief...it has been a long road! Wishing you all the best.
 
Congrats LUCPM! I just found out the good news too- PBL pathway! I saw your MDapps link and realized that I am the girl who was sitting directly to your left during the interview. I am so very happy for you and your family. I had the same reaction- crying with happiness and disbelief...it has been a long road! Wishing you all the best.

Yes, I remember you. Are you the girl with a lot of research experience? Sorry, I was too nervous to remember. Thank you and congrats! Best of luck to you too!
 
Last edited:
Congrats LUCPM! I just found out the good news too- PBL pathway! I saw your MDapps link and realized that I am the girl who was sitting directly to your left during the interview. I am so very happy for you and your family. I had the same reaction- crying with happiness and disbelief...it has been a long road! Wishing you all the best.

Congrats! No letter today for me! Damn my mid-mountain west location! Hopefully good news tomorrow
 
Anyone interviewing tomorrow 9/23? Im staying at Econolodge cuz Im broke.

Also, anyone in Erie willing to help me out? Lost my moneyclip in Arizona on a connecting flight and stuck with no cash, no ID. Need to get to a chase bank or something. Having a very stressful experience so far and I havent even interviewed yet!
 
Anyone with lower MCATS (i.e. 25) being offered interviews this late in the game? Just submitted my secondary today, and trying to gauge whether I wasted $100 or not.
 
I just scheduled my interview, but the earliest date available on the "self-scheduler" online was January 6th!!! That seems so far away... do you think it's worth emailing the person in charge of scheduling to see if anything sooner is available? I don't want to be a pest, but at the same time, January seems like a long time to wait...

I just checked the portal and was able to schedule an interview for November 4th. So I think there is a good chance you might be able to reschedule for an earlier date!
 
No letter here in Salt Lake from the 9/9 group. I would've been willing to pay for the overnight delivery if I knew the wait would make me this anxious. Luckily I just picked up treatment for my anxiety...Madden 12
 
My wife called while I was at work. I knew right away it was for the letter received from LECOM today. I had to run to men's room to hide my tears that I haven't had since my childhood. This was the best news I've ever had in a long, long time.

I guess the letters are arriving for those who were interviewed earlier on (mine was on 9/9). I hope you guys all have the same good news.

Congrats LUCPM, your story from your mdapps link is very inspirational. I am actually the kid that sat to your far left and right next to the interviewers. I got my acceptance letter today and indeed it was the greatest feeling in the world. Once again congrats to you and your family !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone interviewing tomorrow 9/23? Im staying at Econolodge cuz Im broke.

Also, anyone in Erie willing to help me out? Lost my moneyclip in Arizona on a connecting flight and stuck with no cash, no ID. Need to get to a chase bank or something. Having a very stressful experience so far and I havent even interviewed yet!

No ID!!! Yikes! How you going to get back home on the plane with no id?
Good Luck at your interview.
 
Congrats LUCPM, your story from your mdapps link is very inspirational. I am actually the kid that sat to your far left and right next to the interviewers. I got my acceptance letter today and indeed it was the greatest feeling in the world. Once again congrats to you and your family !

Thank you and Congrats to you as well!!!
 
No ID!!! Yikes! How you going to get back home on the plane with no id?
Good Luck at your interview.


What they did in Arizona was TSA had to make a few phone calls and they asked me a bunch of personal questions like my previous addresses and last msobile cell phone numbers. It's a hassle, but what can I do? Just gotta roll with the punches!
 
What they did in Arizona was TSA had to make a few phone calls and they asked me a bunch of personal questions like my previous addresses and last msobile cell phone numbers. It's a hassle, but what can I do? Just gotta roll with the punches!

I respect your resilience. Good luck with your interview tomorrow.
 
Accepted! Awesome, I'm definitely going here. AntsMarching, I'm sure you'll get yours tomorrow.