LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
giving up my spot later today.

Good luck to everyone grinding it out on the alternate list.

And remember to take all of these negative/positive LECOM comments with a grain of salt. Your medical education is largely what you make of it, and anyone can come on these forums and write whatever suits them.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here send a Letter of Intent to the school? Or is on the waitlist and heard back from them yet?

giving up my spot later today.

Good luck to everyone grinding it out on the alternate list.

And remember to take all of these negative/positive LECOM comments with a grain of salt. Your medical education is largely what you make of it, and anyone can come on these forums and write whatever suits them.

but also realize that there might be some legitimate problems with this school. I understand that everyone has the mindset of "I'll be happy getting in anywhere", but the school may very well have some concerns. Way I see it, if people say there are problems with a school (and its not the first time people have mentioned LECOM in particular), look a little more closely at the school and people who go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a future applicant to LECOM, what exactly should I be looking out for about this school? Is it the fact that the rotations are disorganized and at many different locations? Is it the dress code, the restriction on food in designated areas? What is meant by "lack of caring"? Do the faculty not care about students? Does the administration not care? I'd like to hear some feedback from current students and graduates if you're out there, please?

Also, how does anatomy lab work at LECOM? Prosections or do we do it ourselves? Any thoughts from current students on anatomy lab?

I know they claim that they don't rank their wait-list but does anyone know how they pull people off? Is it by MCAT?

I think that they are looking for a complete applicant...if that makes sense.This whole process is all about waiting....wait for the mcat results, wait for recommendation letters, wait for application processing, wait for an interview, wait for interview results, wait to get off the wait list, then wait to do it all over again...

Last edited:
Hey guys! I got into my first choice school today so another spot will be opening up for those still waiting! Good luck and don't stop believing!

I have been on the LECOM-E waitlist since Nov 2011. I know that the admissions office says that the waitlist is not ranked, but it must be at least separated by track. I want to do PBL. Any word on whether anyone for PBL was accepted from the waitlist yet?

I was accepted this week into LDP and when I talked to them before they said there is still movement happening and it could be all the way until the end of July so don't lose hope!

did they send you any e-mails before you got accepted? like a "ur on the top of the waitlist"?

I just transferred my spot at Erie to Bradenton. I wish those on the waitlist the best of luck. Don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I got into my first choice school today so another spot will be opening up for those still waiting! Good luck and don't stop believing!

"Hold on to that fee-EE-EE-lin' ... streeeet-light peeeo-ple ... and it goes on and on and on an oon"

you know, just trying to brighten things up

I just transferred my spot at Erie to Bradenton. I wish those on the waitlist the best of luck. Don't give up!

Really, they allow that? If you don't mind my asking, why did you make the switch? Was it a "closer to home" thing for you, or did you find that somehow Bradenton's program is better? Details, details!

I'm always skeptical of folks with only 3 posts to their screen name who come on here in order to bash a school. Regarding the bolded statement, you come off as a bit soft and/or overly dramatic. "The worst thing that has ever happened" to you? :laugh: Weak.

If I have any advice for you, it is to stay away from LECOM. I graduated from this school two years ago and they provided the worst clinical education. It is more about quantity of students rather than quality output of physicians. When I first visited this school, like many of you I didn't have the foresight to think about clinical education. This first two pre-clinical years are okay and it is not even a big deal to have to dress up every day. That being said, you are a number to them. They treat you like you are a little kid and are completely condescending. The deans will not know your name unless you get on their bad side. When you enter clinical education, nobody at that school knows whether or not you are alive because nobody checks in to see how your learning is coming along or if you are progressing as a student doctor. My thought process when applying and accepting a position at this school, was cheap tuition, close to my home and doesn't seem like too bad a place. I found out why the tuition is so cheap. In my third year of medical school at LECOM, my first 7 rotations were in 5 different cities/hospitals. Talk about fragmented education, there is something to be said about professionals and staff available to help you grow as a physician and really take ownership of your medical education. People will say ignore posts like this one and to make your own decisions, LECOM was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and that is an understatement. So you listen to what you want, but I don't want future colleagues of mine to go down the path I did. LECOM is enrolling mass amounts of residents at their own profit. Talk about lack of research. There is something called CORE which OhioU is part of that gives its medical student4s research opportunities. LECOM would not join this program at the mere cost of 1 million dollars when it enrolls about 300 students per class in Erie alone. It is a joke. I can give you 500 other reasons why this school is nothing but a fraud and any medical educators that have dealt with clinical education at this school would concur.

______ I mean, you go where you got in, right? Can't be picky with med school. But my question is this: yes their rotations are all over the place, but do you have to do your rotations where they have affiliations? I ask because I know this varies by school, and because Millcreek Comm doesn't seem like the gold standard of clinical ED. I mean it seems like their total bed count is like twice the size of one department at my hospital. But anyway, what are the 5 different cities/hospitals like, and if they're unremarkable, what jumps would I need to go through to be able to do core rotations where I want to do them?

Also, Dharma, no offense but don't be an sdn snob now. Remember, as entering medical students, were back at the bottom of the bottom of the totem pole. No matter how great we were in college, no one gives a ****, it's back to square one. So don't talk smack to the students who've gone through you're future already. After all, they may very well be your colleague in the next couple of years, so be nice!

I applied just before the deadline. Interviewed on May 4th. And received my acceptance today.

I'm probably going to decline my offer to attend as I just sat the MCAT in January and want to give myself a full shot at the cycle (MD & DO) in addition to international medical schools.

Nothing against LECOM Erie, it looked like a great school and a great program. I'll likely be applying again for next year.

Very brave. I thought about doing the same thing b/c I got WL at 2 allo's and could have applied earlier. But med school is med school right? It's a huge gamble you're taking, good luck!

did they send you any e-mails before you got accepted? like a "ur on the top of the waitlist"?

Yeah, I got an email back in March that said I was at the top, fill out the matriculation stuff, etc. They told me I would hear by April or May but I didn't get accepted until this week. It was a LOT of waiting lol.

Also, Dharma, no offense but don't be an sdn snob now. Remember, as entering medical students, were back at the bottom of the bottom of the totem pole. No matter how great we were in college, no one gives a ****, it's back to square one. So don't talk smack to the students who've gone through you're future already. After all, they may very well be your colleague in the next couple of years, so be nice!

thanks for the pep talk skippy.

Be careful with that. Adcoms may question your dedication to medicine if they see that you were accepted last cycle and declined. How do you explain it? Make sure you have a solid reason in case you're asked (not just that you wanted more options).

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and went to school in Orlando, so I got to be closer to family and in a familiar climate. I also have been reading things on the Erie page about Bradenton being a better location, probably because class is smaller. I was able to transfer because I got accepted to LECOM Bradenton.

So, does anyone know of any Facebook groups/ threads for '16 matriculees to socialize/ find a place to live. I looked, but couldn't find.

Yeah, I got an email back in March that said I was at the top, fill out the matriculation stuff, etc. They told me I would hear by April or May but I didn't get accepted until this week. It was a LOT of waiting lol.

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Just curious -

Does Erie rank the waiting list? Because I was under the impression that there is no ranking at Bradenton..

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Just curious -

Does Erie rank the waiting list? Because I was under the impression that there is no ranking at Bradenton..
Thank you! They claim that they don't... however there is a pool of the top 20-30 students on the list and they pull from there first. If you get the matriculation packet, then you're in that group of students.

I got that email back in March - dear God I hope the pool is that small. I havent heard back yet. Submitted two extra LORs (from a physician and the charge nurse I worked with) and completed the packet!

EDIT: I GOT THE CALL TODAY!!!

Last edited:
I got that email back in March - dear God I hope the pool is that small. I havent heard back yet. Submitted two extra LORs (from a physician and the charge nurse I worked with) and completed the packet!

Have you submitted a letter of intent?

EDIT: I GOT THE CALL TODAY!!!

Congratulations!!!!!! are you LDP?

Omg!! Just got an acceptance call this morning, I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone!

If anyone just accepted is looking for housing, I am an incoming LDP student interested in renting a 3 BR house but need roommates! It's about 2.5 miles from the school and there's a posting about it on the class of 2016 facebook page. You can also e-mail me if you're interested: [email protected]

I look forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

Congratulations!! You have to send a check to this address:

1858 West Grandview Boulevard, Erie, PA 16508

(814) 866-6641

Make sure you put your name on the memo section of your check. Congrats again, see you in a few weeks!!

Anyone here know if the wellness has wifi working everywhere (specifically the cardio area)? not just at the internet lounge.

Thanks

Anyone here know if the wellness has wifi working everywhere (specifically the cardio area)? not just at the internet lounge.

Thanks
I was just there yesterday and asked the same question... They said that the wifi isn't great on the second floor but that you might be able to get it

Hey everyone!

I got the acceptance call yesterday (7/9). I am looking for housing and am wondering if anyone needs roommates. If you do, please send me an email at DomMikonis AT Gmail.com.

Also, Does anyone know how to send in the deposit to LECOM? I cant seem to find it on their student portal. Thanks! :D

Third roommate just got accepted to another school so opening came available.

A room is available for rent in single family residential home to be shared with two second year LECOM medical students. The two story home has three bedrooms, 1.5 baths, central air conditioning, washer and dryer, dishwasher, pots, pans, glasses, silverware, living room with widescreen tv, cable, wifi, dining room, basement and two car garage that is shared with roomates. The home is fully furnished however, you will need bedroom furniture. Snow is plowed from driveway by next door neighbor in the winter. (photos of the house are on a Craigslist ad under Erie PA, Apts for rent)

Utility costs are split between all roommates. Average per month which includes cable, gas, electric AND wifi is approximately $100.00. Need to get a roommate ASAP.

Please send a message if you are interested!

Congrats to the incoming first years! I'll will be seeing most of you next week (especially the PBL'ers).

You will have a Luau next Thursday (Aug 2nd) where there will be free food, and representation from most of the clubs that LECOM has to offer, and plenty of OMSII's to answer questions about anything.

Another tip, DO NOT BUY a Netters atlas, or anything from thieme. When you join SOMA (the Student Osteopathic Medical Association you will get a FREE netters atlas and 35% off anything from thieme (as well as many other benefits). You'll also have access to additional scholarships as SOMA members.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If not, I'll see you guys at the Luau.

Last edited:
Well I withdrew 2 weeks ago from PBL as I got into another school. Don't know if this helps but just to give some info.

Last edited:
To those of you that get interview in April and May, was it because you submitted your primary application late or is it because you have lower stat compared to average?