This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Former pre-dental post bacc here. Completed the program, but did not make the grade to matriculate. I am currently typing up a full review of my experience in the program as a pre-dent, but in the meantime, if anyone has any specific questions, please post them here so I can address them in my review.

Look forward to hearing your response

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Jamie Murphy about this since I was in the same position. He said that I could use someone that was in a supervisor to me in a science related field if I couldn't get one from an undergrad prof. I used a letter from a doc I did research with.
Thank you! He said the same to me and that my EMT instructor (he's also my chief) will be fine to use :)

Accepted! Do you know if we send in the 50$ if we can later back out? I'm waiting to hear from 2 other schools, and while I probably will end up at LECOM, I still want to wait until I hear from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Jamie Murphy about this since I was in the same position. He said that I could use someone that was in a supervisor to me in a science related field if I couldn't get one from an undergrad prof. I used a letter from a doc I did research with.

I know they want a letter from a science professor but is it okay if my psych prof and the doctor I shadow submit it instead?

My application has been under review for the past 3 weeks....... am I suppose to update them with a final transcript?

I know they want a letter from a science professor but is it okay if my psych prof and the doctor I shadow submit it instead?

I would email Jamie - he can probably give you a for sure answer, better than anyone on here.

My application has been under review for the past 3 weeks....... am I suppose to update them with a final transcript?

It probably wouldn't hurt. I'd email Jamie letting him know its on the way so they don't think your app is complete when the final transcript might help you out.

This was Jamie's exact response to me when I asked about the letter since I knew I couldn't get one from one of my science profs:

"If you cannot get a letter from a core science professor, we can accept a letter from a supervisor in a science related occupation or experience to be eligible for the Post bac program."

Accepted! Do you know if we send in the 50$ if we can later back out? I'm waiting to hear from 2 other schools, and while I probably will end up at LECOM, I still want to wait until I hear from them.
where else are you waiting to hear from?

where else are you waiting to hear from?

I'm waiting on PCOM and Midwestern Biomedical science programs. I still think there is a 95% chance I go to Lecom, just because I think their linkage program is too good not to take advantage of. I'm just grateful for the chance to prove myself.

Didn't you have to pay right after you submitted your application?

This was Jamie's exact response to me when I asked about the letter since I knew I couldn't get one from one of my science profs:

"If you cannot get a letter from a core science professor, we can accept a letter from a supervisor in a science related occupation or experience to be eligible for the Post bac program."

I'm gonna take that as a yes lol

i think the deposit is $50. if it is, that is ridiculous low

Deposit for what? tuition?
No i think it's just an application fee that you have to pay right after submitting

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the deposit is $50. if it is, that is ridiculous low

Deposit for what? tuition?
No i think it's just an application fee that you have to pay right after submitting

The $50 is a matriculation fee deposit. When you get in, you have a few weeks to submit it to basically confirm your spot. This is separate from the application fee.

The $50 is a matriculation fee deposit. When you get in, you have a few weeks to submit it to basically confirm your spot. This is separate from the application fee.

Oh okay so you have to pay 50$, submit your recommendations, and transcript by August right?

Not saying that I'm going to apply this year, because I still want to take my MCAT. Also, I'm only going into my senior year of undergrad now. However, I've been studying for the MCAT and am getting projections around 505. My science GPA is 2.84 for both cGPA and sGPA. Are these okay stats to apply with?

My only worry is if there is a screen for the DO program, as in someone with sub-par grades who eventually does well in the post-bacc will get auto-screened out; or perhaps it is a "clean slate" so to speak.

My only worry is if there is a screen for the DO program, as in someone with sub-par grades who eventually does well in the post-bacc will get auto-screened out; or perhaps it is a "clean slate" so to speak.

The school told us that they take a clean slate approach to all the post baccs. So even if you have stellar stats, it won't help. Consider your admission into the post bacc as the school saying everything about you is great except your grades and/or mcat. They are only looking at your post bacc performance and overall professionalism when reviewing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone! Is anyone planning to attend the On Campus day?

Hey guys, so I don't have an undergraduate degree. I just complete my Doctor of Pharmacy degree at Rutgers University with a 3.066 GPA. I don't really know how to calculate my science gpa because I didn't take the traditional undergraduate route and I was in a 6 year program. I am really interested in applying for this post bacc program and I would like other's feedback if i would be a competitive candidate.

I have good ECs, A lot of clinical and work experience since I am a pharmacy major.

I still need to take the MCAT.

If anyone can give feedback I would greatly appreciate it!!

Any pre-dental students planning on attending?

Last edited:
Anyone know how acceptances work this late in the game? My LORs are in the mail soon

My stats are scary after the grade change rule. I have a well-spread background, but I'm at a 2.85 with the grade change :(. I went from a 3.2/3.6 to a 2.85/3.1. A political lesson learned.

I'm nervous because I moved across the country for a research program naive to animal research. Killing animals = sad me. Hopefully they don't look down on me leaving an MS midway through. Fortunately the head of my program supports my move and is writing a letter.

Fortune Favors the Bold Ladies and Gentlemen. Who else is scared out of their mind that they are gonna fail the program? Just me?

Those dental numbers look rough.

Not really an accurate way to assess it...it's all down to whether you want to work hard or not.

!!!!!???

I'm sure those other 14 people thought they were working hard too.

70/170 are Caribbean school odds. But at least this is only 1 year and 20K and not 4 years and 250K

!!!!!???

70/170 are Caribbean school odds. But at least this is only 1 year and 20K and not 4 years and 250K

So are you one of those people who relies on SDN for all your statistics?

So are you one of those people who relies on SDN for all your statistics?

No, but these statistics came from SDN members who went to the program that LECOM verified and gave to them. It is always good to know what you are getting into. If 50% of loans from a certain bank end in failure, its prolly a good idea to find out why and if its a good idea to take that risk. There are things you can do to minimize the risk, but its important to know the raw data.

Everyone thinks they are going to be in the top 50% of students, even the bottom 50%.

No, but these statistics came from SDN members who went to the program that LECOM verified and gave to them. It is always good to know what you are getting into. If 50% of loans from a certain bank end in failure, its prolly a good idea to find out why and if its a good idea to take that risk. There are things you can do to minimize the risk, but its important to know the raw data.

Everyone thinks they are going to be in the top 50% of students, even the bottom 50%.

I agree with you to an extent, but it wouldn't deter me from doing the program. I've seen so many different numbers thrown around so you have to really consider how much weight they carry.

Reactions: 2 users
GypsyHummus, if you are a pre dental, I'd suggest other programs

GypsyHummus, if you are a pre dental, I'd suggest other programs

Out and out, this program has one of the best linkages for medical, dental, and pharmacy school. When I went to visit, Jamie explained the success rate to and how it works for pharm, dental, and medical school.

Out and out, this program has one of the best linkages for medical, dental, and pharmacy school. When I went to visit, Jamie explained the success rate to and how it works for pharm, dental, and medical school.

This certainly seems like the best deal in post bacc, that we agree on.

Even for dental, if you make the 3.0, you are in. Great deal, but how high is the price? What happens when you get a C in anatomy or pharm?

Funnily enough, you could prolly still get into pharmacy school if you have anything higher than a 2.7 in the program.

Last edited:
This program is too risky. High risk, high reward.

@knaq7 - did you finish the program?

Could any pre-dental who successfully matriculated into Dental school from LECOM Post-Bac please share their experiences, thoughts, recommendations on the program? This would be greatly appreciated by not just me, but the other pre-dentals in this forum considering post-bac!

1/15 make it

Whether you are pre-med or pre-dent., if you're a science major (bio, micro, neuro, etc) you're in the same boat as everyone else, esp. since med & dent. prereq./recommended classes are essentially the same. Even if you didn't do well in some upper level sciences in undergrad, I would assume you have a some sort of groundwork for classes. I fall into this category, as a science major with most upper levels in the post-bac curriculum taken at undergrad. level (except 2-3). Don't get me wrong though, I'm still nervous about the program and would like to hear from a dental student who went through the post-bac!

I would think that a majority of pre-dental students failed the program because they didn't have enough or any upper level science experience from undergrad. Perhaps this is because of a non-science major (psych, nutrition, etc) or changing career paths? Thoughts?

Could any pre-dental who successfully matriculated into Dental school from LECOM Post-Bac please share their experiences, thoughts, recommendations on the program? This would be greatly appreciated by not just me, but the other pre-dentals in this forum considering post-bac!
A dental student or a med student would each have the same experience since they are all in the same classes. They are 99% identical, so it's nothing to do with the fact that they were dental. It's true that you might learn a few things that aren't applicable to dentistry, but either way med and dental are in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 users

Whether you are pre-med or pre-dent., if you're a science major (bio, micro, neuro, etc) you're in the same boat as everyone else, esp. since med & dent. prereq./recommended classes are essentially the same. Even if you didn't do well in some upper level sciences in undergrad, I would assume you have a some sort of groundwork for classes. I fall into this category, as a science major with most upper levels in the post-bac curriculum taken at undergrad. level (except 2-3). Don't get me wrong though, I'm still nervous about the program and would like to hear from a dental student who went through the post-bac!

I would think that a majority of pre-dental students failed the program because they didn't have enough or any upper level science experience from undergrad. Perhaps this is because of a non-science major (psych, nutrition, etc) or changing career paths? Thoughts?

Honestly doesn't matter if your med or dental. The 1/15 statistic......

Is that the overall statistic or just dental? Anyone know overall numbers ?

It sounds like it's all dental and not applicable to the others in the program.

If I recall correctly:
15 pre dents started, all but 4 failed out. Only 1 managed to get the 3.0.

Where is the information for "on-campus day"? Link?

I received an email from Jamie (5/2/17) stating that the On-Campus Day was scheduled for Friday June 30th. The event begins at 1:00 pm and the dean of the program will provide info on the admissions process and curriculum.
If you were accepted and did not receive the email, I recommend you reach out to Jamie to RSVP and get more details.

!!!!!???

I'm not sure if I would agree with your first statement. My low GPA that led me to this program was due to poor study habits. I assume this applies to most of us here. Basically, we have to make major life changes to succeed. It doesn't seem unreasonable that 14/15 failed to do so.

I received an email from Jamie (5/2/17) stating that the On-Campus Day was scheduled for Friday June 30th. The event begins at 1:00 pm and the dean of the program will provide info on the admissions process and curriculum.
If you were accepted and did not receive the email, I recommend you reach out to Jamie to RSVP and get more details.

I assume its a shirt and tie event? Or should it be more dressy?

Hey guys quick question. I have been accepted to both LECOM and VCOM's program. I am trying to weigh out my options. If I go to LECOM I will not have to retake my MCAT (491), but if I go to VCOM i feel that I would have to get it up to the 494 to make my life easier. Any advice on this would help as VCOM starts at the end of July, so I would like to take the MCAT before then, and LECOM starts in September.

Also I heard that only 70/170 people matriculated at LECOM, while 51/98 had for VCOM, any insight into this from people that have been in either program would help.

Isn't the VCOM minimum 3.6? Seems to me the easier route would be LECOM.

Hey guys quick question. I have been accepted to both LECOM and VCOM's program. I am trying to weigh out my options. If I go to LECOM I will not have to retake my MCAT (491), but if I go to VCOM i feel that I would have to get it up to the 494 to make my life easier. Any advice on this would help as VCOM starts at the end of July, so I would like to take the MCAT before then, and LECOM starts in September.

Also I heard that only 70/170 people matriculated at LECOM, while 51/98 had for VCOM, any insight into this from people that have been in either program would help.

My advice:

If you don't mind attending either of the medical schools, I'd go with LECOM since you don't need to retake the MCAT. You mentioned matriculation statistics and although it favors VCOM, I think LECOM would be a better choice. (Also, you only need a 3.0)

That 3.0 can't be stressed enough. What happens when you end up with a 3.2 at VCOM? Get 2 Bs more than As.

My advice:

If you don't mind attending either of the medical schools, I'd go with LECOM since you don't need to retake the MCAT. You mentioned matriculation statistics and although it favors VCOM, I think LECOM would be a better choice. (Also, you only need a 3.0)