This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That 3.0 can't be stressed enough. What happens when you end up with a 3.2 at VCOM? Get 2 Bs more than As.

The 3.0 only guarantees an interview and not a seat in their DO Program. A 3.4 might give that conditional acceptance.

Are students who are receiving interviews invites being accepted in the DO school as well, probably, but the 3.0 DOES NOT guarantee a seat, unlike VCOM (where with a 494 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA in the program, they guarantee a seat following year).

Also, unless the above person is using another standardized test like the SAT/ACT or whatever else LECOM uses besides the MCAT, they will have to re-take the MCAT. If they are using their "other" tests using the AIS, then sure, it's fine, but it's just the MCAT, then they would have to retake.

Members don't see this ad.

The 3.0 only guarantees an interview and not a seat in their DO Program. A 3.4 might give that conditional acceptance.

Are students who are receiving interviews invites being accepted in the DO school as well, probably, but the 3.0 DOES NOT guarantee a seat, unlike VCOM (where with a 494 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA in the program, they guarantee a seat following year).

Also, unless the above person is using another standardized test like the SAT/ACT or whatever else LECOM uses besides the MCAT, they will have to re-take the MCAT. If they are using their "other" tests using the AIS, then sure, it's fine, but it's just the MCAT, then they would have to retake.

I am using my AIS score instead, so its now more of should I retake the MCAT or not

My advice:

If you don't mind attending either of the medical schools, I'd go with LECOM since you don't need to retake the MCAT. You mentioned matriculation statistics and although it favors VCOM, I think LECOM would be a better choice. (Also, you only need a 3.0)

Yeh I don't mind either, its just that those statistics aren't very favorable for LECOM. Knowing that everyone goes in with the mindset to get that 3.0, but less than 50% come out successful is what's really holding me back.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And the ones that were successful had Rigorus undergrad premed curriculums.

Yeh I don't mind either, its just that those statistics aren't very favorable for LECOM. Knowing that everyone goes in with the mindset to get that 3.0, but less than 50% come out successful is what's really holding me back.

I am using my AIS score instead, so its now more of should I retake the MCAT or not

In that case, go for LECOM. The curriculum will be difficult at either campus and this postbacc, while getting you a closer step in their DO program, also prepares you well for meds school. So, if you do well here, you know you should also be fine for the first year as a DO student. I would go to lecom instead of retaking the mcat!

Yes this is a good program for those stats. Mine were similar: 3.0 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 505 MCAT. I got 3 II's and zero acceptances, so I did the post bac

Hey Dan, are courses strictly based on exams? If not, what's the weight exams bare vs. hw, quizzes, etc. Also, how many subjects are covered on a typical exam and how many are questions asked in a given time period? How do professors weigh # of exam questions relative to the topics covered from different subjects? Are questions on exams from other subjects mixed up?

Thanks!

Hey Dan, are courses strictly based on exams? If not, what's the weight exams bare vs. hw, quizzes, etc. Also, how many subjects are covered on a typical exam and how many are questions asked in a given time period? How do professors weigh # of exam questions relative to the topics covered from different subjects? Are questions on exams from other subjects mixed up?

Thanks!

I'm sure Dan can chime in as well, but yes, for the most part courses are based on exams. Easier classes such as intro to med have online quizzes which make up about half your grade. Some classes such as anatomy or pathology have quizzes which are about as difficult as exams and make up around 10% of the final grade. The amount of subjects on exams really varies from exam to exam. A smaller exam may only have two subjects while a larger exam could have 5. The subjects are jumbled up as well which makes it even more difficult imo. For pretty much every quiz/exam we are given 72 seconds per question. So a 200 question exam will be about 4 hrs and a 100 question exam will be exactly half that.

I know this all sounds stressful for incoming post-bacs, but if you are accepted into this program you can absolutely get the 3.0 if you study smart.

Has anyone been accepted with an MCAT lower than a 495 and an AIS lower than 110? Also, provided those substandard circumstances, has anyone actually matriculated into the D.O. program upon successful completion of the program? Just wondering if any of you have heard anything through the grapevine.

Is it absolutely necessary to send in a letter of recommendation from a science professor? I have been out of school for a few years, and am hoping to submit letters from a DO and two research faculty members.

Hi everyone, I'm curious to know you didn't apply to the masters in medical science program. It's 2 months longer and very similar to the post bacc program.

Hi everyone, I'm curious to know you didn't apply to the masters in medical science program. It's 2 months longer and very similar to the post bacc program.

Location, tuition are minimal factors, but the deadline for applying was May 1 so missed out

FORMER POST-BAC DENTAL HERE.

Hey guys, so I know scarce amount of information can be found about LECOM's post bac for DENTAL, so here I am to give the down low as I was on the dental track and wished more information was posted from former dental post bacs before I began the program. I’m going to give some statistics on the program as well as my experiences and opinions.

We started off with 12 dental (not 15). By the end of the first semester we lost 8 students or 2/3 of the class. Half way through the second semester, we lost another student and by the end of the program, only 3/12 completed the program, but only 1/12 was able to get the 3.0 GPA (on the dot) and successfully matriculated into the dental school. The other 2 students fell short of the 3.0 by 0.1-0.2 points.

Just a quick background, I had applied for dental school for the 2016-2017 cycle, but was rejected across the board because I had a low GPA. I decided I wanted to do either a Master’s or Post-Bacc program and was accepted to Midwestern AZ (Master’s), Rosalind Franklin University (Master’s), Boston University (Master’s), Rutger’s New Brunswick and the Newark location (Master’s) and LECOM (Post-Bacc). I chose LECOM because out of all the options, LECOM was the cheapest (14K) and it has the strongest linkage out of all the schools. On top of this, the idea of getting 3.0 for the linkage seemed like a cake walk, but I was wrong. As were the other 11 pre-dental students.

As said in other reviews, we were taking M1 level courses and a 3.0 in this program is equivalent to about a 3.7 or 3.8 undergraduate. The class that wiped out 2/3 of our class was Physiology and I think it should be taken into consideration that when dental students do this Post-Bacc, they are doing the program with medical students. Our class was 155 medical, 12 dental. Most of the medical students have had some exposure to Physiology since it is on the MCAT. Physiology is not a pre-req for dental students, nor is it on our DAT. Because this was the first time that many of the students were exposed to Physiology, it caused us to lose so many people. The four dental students that did make it to second semester all had a C in Physiology.

Second semester is when we had our interviews, but only 3 of us interviewed because the other student withdrew from the program. All 3 of us had under a 3.0 when we interviewed. The interview was in a group via Skype in a conference room at the school. During our interview, the dental school knew nothing about this program except that there was a linkage. They didn’t even know what classes we were taking and when we told them, they said we didn’t even need to take half of the classes for dental school.

A big problem with this program is that they do not care about the dental students. I have thought this and my peers have thought this. We were overlooked and virtually no information was available to us in regards to anything pertaining dentistry. When we asked what DAT score we needed for admissions, they did not know. They (director of the program, professors, and Jamie Murphy) couldn’t even tell us the statistics of the pre-dental students that were in the class the previous year and to this day, we still don’t know. One person said 4/10 successfully matriculated while another person said 14/15 matriculated. They literally do not know. I am telling you right now, for 2016-2017, 1/12 matriculated (got the 3.0 GPA) and the DAT score we needed was a 17 AA.

If only 3/12 of the students completed the program and 1/12 got the 3.0, there has to be something wrong. I also want to point out that during the last 3 weeks of school, dental took Head Anatomy while medical took Pelvis Anatomy. Head Anatomy was one of the hardest anatomy exams we had taken and our average was a 67 which brought down all of our grades. Pelvis Anatomy’s average was in the 80s and was one of the easiest anatomy exams medical had taken and boosted a lot of student’s grades.

If you are thinking about this program, please carefully consider it. All 12 of us thought we could get the 3.0, all 12 of us worked hard in this program and only 1 person made it. I want to remind you that a Post-Bacc is a high risk program and doing bad in Post-Bacc looks very bad to dental schools and has ruined the opportunity for many of the dental students. There is no leniency for dental even though 1. There are so few of us to begin with 2. We are taking medical school courses with no dental emphasis 3. We are given an anatomy exam where the dental average was an F while med had a B average. If you do decide to do LECOM, I hope they have made changes to be more accommodating to dental students. This is a genuine, honest review and I hope this helps any dental student considering LECOM. Best of luck and PM me if you need me to elaborate on anything more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FORMER POST-BAC DENTAL HERE.

Hey guys, so I know scarce amount of information can be found about LECOM's post bac for DENTAL, so here I am to give the down low as I was on the dental track and wished more information was posted from former dental post bacs before I began the program. I’m going to give some statistics on the program as well as my experiences and opinions.

We started off with 12 dental (not 15). By the end of the first semester we lost 8 students or 2/3 of the class. Half way through the second semester, we lost another student and by the end of the program, only 3/12 completed the program, but only 1/12 was able to get the 3.0 GPA (on the dot) and successfully matriculated into the dental school. The other 2 students fell short of the 3.0 by 0.1-0.2 points.

Just a quick background, I had applied for dental school for the 2016-2017 cycle, but was rejected across the board because I had a low GPA. I decided I wanted to do either a Master’s or Post-Bacc program and was accepted to Midwestern AZ (Master’s), Rosalind Franklin University (Master’s), Boston University (Master’s), Rutger’s New Brunswick and the Newark location (Master’s) and LECOM (Post-Bacc). I chose LECOM because out of all the options, LECOM was the cheapest (14K) and it has the strongest linkage out of all the schools. On top of this, the idea of getting 3.0 for the linkage seemed like a cake walk, but I was wrong. As were the other 11 pre-dental students.

As said in other reviews, we were taking M1 level courses and a 3.0 in this program is equivalent to about a 3.7 or 3.8 undergraduate. The class that wiped out 2/3 of our class was Physiology and I think it should be taken into consideration that when dental students do this Post-Bacc, they are doing the program with medical students. Our class was 155 medical, 12 dental. Most of the medical students have had some exposure to Physiology since it is on the MCAT. Physiology is not a pre-req for dental students, nor is it on our DAT. Because this was the first time that many of the students were exposed to Physiology, it caused us to lose so many people. The four dental students that did make it to second semester all had a C in Physiology.

Second semester is when we had our interviews, but only 3 of us interviewed because the other student withdrew from the program. All 3 of us had under a 3.0 when we interviewed. The interview was in a group via Skype in a conference room at the school. During our interview, the dental school knew nothing about this program except that there was a linkage. They didn’t even know what classes we were taking and when we told them, they said we didn’t even need to take half of the classes for dental school.

A big problem with this program is that they do not care about the dental students. I have thought this and my peers have thought this. We were overlooked and virtually no information was available to us in regards to anything pertaining dentistry. When we asked what DAT score we needed for admissions, they did not know. They (director of the program, professors, and Jamie Murphy) couldn’t even tell us the statistics of the pre-dental students that were in the class the previous year and to this day, we still don’t know. One person said 4/10 successfully matriculated while another person said 14/15 matriculated. They literally do not know. I am telling you right now, for 2016-2017, 1/12 matriculated (got the 3.0 GPA) and the DAT score we needed was a 17 AA.

If only 3/12 of the students completed the program and 1/12 got the 3.0, there has to be something wrong. I also want to point out that during the last 3 weeks of school, dental took Head Anatomy while medical took Pelvis Anatomy. Head Anatomy was one of the hardest anatomy exams we had taken and our average was a 67 which brought down all of our grades. Pelvis Anatomy’s average was in the 80s and was one of the easiest anatomy exams medical had taken and boosted a lot of student’s grades.

If you are thinking about this program, please carefully consider it. All 12 of us thought we could get the 3.0, all 12 of us worked hard in this program and only 1 person made it. I want to remind you that a Post-Bacc is a high risk program and doing bad in Post-Bacc looks very bad to dental schools and has ruined the opportunity for many of the dental students. There is no leniency for dental even though 1. There are so few of us to begin with 2. We are taking medical school courses with no dental emphasis 3. We are given an anatomy exam where the dental average was an F while med had a B average. If you do decide to do LECOM, I hope they have made changes to be more accommodating to dental students. This is a genuine, honest review and I hope this helps any dental student considering LECOM. Best of luck and PM me if you need me to elaborate on anything more.

Thanks for the review. Appreciate it.

I'm sure Dan can chime in as well, but yes, for the most part courses are based on exams. Easier classes such as intro to med have online quizzes which make up about half your grade. Some classes such as anatomy or pathology have quizzes which are about as difficult as exams and make up around 10% of the final grade. The amount of subjects on exams really varies from exam to exam. A smaller exam may only have two subjects while a larger exam could have 5. The subjects are jumbled up as well which makes it even more difficult imo. For pretty much every quiz/exam we are given 72 seconds per question. So a 200 question exam will be about 4 hrs and a 100 question exam will be exactly half that.

I know this all sounds stressful for incoming post-bacs, but if you are accepted into this program you can absolutely get the 3.0 if you study smart.

Thanks for the information! How are exam questions like? I was told that they are case-based problems in which you have to apply knowledge from materials to a certain cases, hypothetical problems, etc? Is this prevalent in certain or all courses?

Thanks for the information! How are exam questions like? I was told that they are case-based problems in which you have to apply knowledge from materials to a certain cases, hypothetical problems, etc? Is this prevalent in certain or all courses?

I'm not sure who told you about problem-based exam questions. There are none of those. PBL is for first year med students, but only IF you are in that pathway. As far as post bac, it's lecture, study lecture, and then recall on exams. There is some critical thinking involved in certain exam questions, but most everything on the exams is straightforward. Just study the crap out of the PowerPoints and I promise you won't find surprises on the exams. They don't need to make it harder by having you combine concepts and integrate info from separate courses/subjects. Trust me, t's hard enough even with them literally telling you what to expect on the exam.

I'm not sure who told you about problem-based exam questions. There are none of those. PBL is for first year med students, but only IF you are in that pathway. As far as post bac, it's lecture, study lecture, and then recall on exams. There is some critical thinking involved in certain exam questions, but most everything on the exams is straightforward. Just study the crap out of the PowerPoints and I promise you won't find surprises on the exams. They don't need to make it harder by having you combine concepts and integrate info from separate courses/subjects. Trust me, t's hard enough even with them literally telling you what to expect on the exam.

Thanks!

So do exams not combine different course content together into a question?

Thanks!

So do exams not combine different course content together into a question?

No they do not combine different courses together in post-bacc. The only time you had to apply information from a different course was the last exam for pharmacology involves some physiology, but they warn you about it before the test multiple times.

so you say that the questions are pretty straightforward and come straight from the power points, does the difficulty arise from the sheer amount of material required to know or something else?

so you say that the questions are pretty straightforward and come straight from the power points, does the difficulty arise from the sheer amount of material required to know or something else?

The questions will not be straight forward nor will it come straight from Power Point. The difficulty arises from the manipulation of concepts into clinical scenarios in third order style questions. For example; Dr. X was operating on a patient in the OR, when the patient suddenly jerked up even though he was under sedation. This gave Dr. X a sudden fright and caused his heart to race. What was the downstream effect of Dr. X being startled?"

So you would need to know this was his sympathetic nervous system that kicked into effect. You would also have to know that sympathetics innervate the B1 receptors on the heart and that B1 receptors are Gq proteins. From then, you would know that you would increase cAMP and PKA.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been accepted with an MCAT lower than a 495 and an AIS lower than 110? Also, provided those substandard circumstances, has anyone actually matriculated into the D.O. program upon successful completion of the program? Just wondering if any of you have heard anything through the grapevine.

I had below a 495 MCAT but my AIS was above 110 (barely) and I was accepted into the DO program. I would have retaken the MCAT, but since my AIS was enough to get me into the DO program I had no reason to. They make it very clear that if you don't have the 110 AIS and don't have the 495 MCAT, you will not be elible for the DO program.

The questions are case based in that they are asked in a clinically relevant scenario as FlossBoss described above. Each exam will have a few questions that seem ridiculously specific, but I thought the exam questions were fair for the most part.

Thanks for the reply!

So, I'm assuming that if you're below both the MCAT and AIS requirements, then there's no hope for Post-Bac either right?

If your MCAT and the AIS is below the requirements and if somehow you got accepted to the Postbacc-program, you will have to repeat the MCAT and make that 40% (around 498) to be accepted in the DO program.

But, I do not think they accept in the Postbacc below those requirements.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I was recently accepted into the program with a gpa 3.6 and an MCAT 508. I have to make my decision by this week and I would like any input. Price-wise lecom and my in state school (which is very difficult for even instate students) are my top options so I thought this program would increase my chances of getting into lecom next year. 1.Have any current students applied to/ been accepted to other schools after the postbacc (my concern is that a 3.2 or 3.4 seems amazing for this program but might affect my cycle application for my instate school)? 2. should i consider directly applying to lecom without the program?

Hi everyone,
I was recently accepted into the program with a gpa 3.6 and an MCAT 508. I have to make my decision by this week and I would like any input. Price-wise lecom and my in state school (which is very difficult for even instate students) are my top options so I thought this program would increase my chances of getting into lecom next year. 1.Have any current students applied to/ been accepted to other schools after the postbacc (my concern is that a 3.2 or 3.4 seems amazing for this program but might affect my cycle application for my instate school)? 2. should i consider directly applying to lecom without the program?
You could get into any DO don't waste your money. Apply this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Have any recent applicants to the program heard back?

Do you guys think it's too late to apply now?! At the website it says the deadline is August 1 .

Do you guys think it's too late to apply now?! At the website it says the deadline is August 1 .

It's not too late, I know a lot of admits from last year that applied in July average stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone provide me with some insight on how financial aid works with this program? I'm currently working full-time and will have to leave my job once I'm enrolled.
I have the same question. I've contacted the financial aid office to get a copy of my award letter but they are not available yet.

Can anyone provide me with some insight on how financial aid works with this program? I'm currently working full-time and will have to leave my job once I'm enrolled.

Are you trying to figure out how much you can take out in loans? Or when it is distributed? I might be able to provide some information I'm just not sure what exactly you are asking for.

Are you trying to figure out how much you can take out in loans? Or when it is distributed? I might be able to provide some information I'm just not sure what exactly you are asking for.

I think OP means FAFSA

Well, I guess I'm looking for someone to explain the whole process in general. I was accepted recently and I'm still waiting on some guidance from the Office of Admissions. So, I thought I'd just get a head start if possible.

But, specifically, how much can you get approved for? I saw that LECOM estimates that the program will cost around 32K.

Also, do we go through FAFSA?

In undergrad I'd have all of this stuff done really early and I feel as if I'm starting all of this a bit late in the game. So, just a tad bit anxious :nailbiting:

Okay so yes you do have to do a fasfa. After you do the fasfa the financial aid office will receive it. With your matriculation packet I believe you receive an agreement to sign to receive loans. After you sign that agreement and financial aid receives it you will get a financial aid award letter that states how much you aid receive. You go onto the portal and either accept, decline, or lower the aid to the amount you want to take out.

The loans get dispersed at the start of the semester and you receive a refund check approximately 2 weeks later.

I'm 99% certain you get approved for almost 34K. That is lecoms estimation that includes living expenses. There may be other loans if you think you'll need more, but my suggestion is to make every effort to live off of that 34K or less because you will be taking out even bigger loans for medical school.

I would relax about waiting to here from the office of admissions because they work everything from the MS4's down. They are still trying to fill and get everything worked out and done for the first year medical students that start in July. We had to wait for all of our information regarding financial aid until they finished with the MS2's. They will get to you in enough time :)

Last edited:
The questions will not be straight forward nor will it come straight from Power Point. The difficulty arises from the manipulation of concepts into clinical scenarios in third order style questions. For example; Dr. X was operating on a patient in the OR, when the patient suddenly jerked up even though he was under sedation. This gave Dr. X a sudden fright and caused his heart to race. What was the downstream effect of Dr. X being startled?"

So you would need to know this was his sympathetic nervous system that kicked into effect. You would also have to know that sympathetics innervate the B1 receptors on the heart and that B1 receptors are Gq proteins. From then, you would know that you would increase cAMP and PKA.

I just completed this program (and did very well too) and the questions are VERY straightforward and all you need to know is entirely from the powerpoints. It's 100% time management and being able to take on a lot at once. Not all are 1st order questions, but even the 2nd and 3rd order ones are straightforward in my opinion. You need to just know the material (the powerpoints) well from studying hard.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest thing to succeed in this program is learning how you personally study. What some students find straightforward others do not. I had multiple friends who all studied differently from myself and each other yet we all got accepted. Some people learn better from the books and some people will say you don't need the textbooks. We can give you all the advice in the world, but you have to do what is best for you.

Reactions: 4 users
True. I definitely believe that this program will be an incredible opportunity to transition from undergraduate study habits to medical school study habits. Thanks for your insight :)

No problem! Any of us are more than happy to tell you what textbooks we used, which ones we didn't, how we studied for a class, if we made notecards, read a powerpoint or read a book, but you are going to get a different answer from almost everyone :)

I just completed this program (and did very well too) and the questions are VERY straightforward and all you need to know is entirely from the powerpoints. It's 100% time management and being able to take on a lot at once. Not all are 1st order questions, but even the 2nd and 3rd order ones are straightforward in my opinion. You need to just know the material (the powerpoints) well from studying hard.

It's interesting to hear two different interpretations on exam question structure and straightforwardness. I'm not sure what to believe; is there any general consensus on this? Does anyone have materials from last year?

Congratulations on successfully completing the program :)

Quick question; did you find yourself using your books often to help supplement the information provided in the Powerpoints?

So a former Post-Bac here that is an incoming MS1...I know people that never picked up a book in the entire program and there are a lot of people including myself that chose to read the books in regards to some material. For classes that you are struggling with or if it is your first time seeing a subject it is nice to use the books as references and supplements but like most of us have said the testing information comes from the power points. But I will say for pathology in the spring...BUY THE BOOK AND READ IT...or at least have a friend that does, haha. Pathology is a class that is about 95% directed/self-study so personally, I would read the chapter once through, then again and add the to power points we were given, then create a study guide for my group of friends and it would get passed around. BRS Physio though is gold definitely buy and use...most people I know in the program would recommend it. I had a digital copy last semester and bought the actual book for first year.

The biggest thing to succeed in this program is learning how you personally study. What some students find straightforward others do not. I had multiple friends who all studied differently from myself and each other yet we all got accepted. Some people learn better from the books and some people will say you don't need the textbooks. We can give you all the advice in the world, but you have to do what is best for you.

Couldn't agree more! :)

How are the professors and what is the teaching style in the program? Thanks!

So a former Post-Bac here that is an incoming MS1...I know people that never picked up a book in the entire program and there are a lot of people including myself that chose to read the books in regards to some material. For classes that you are struggling with or if it is your first time seeing a subject it is nice to use the books as references and supplements but like most of us have said the testing information comes from the power points. But I will say for pathology in the spring...BUY THE BOOK AND READ IT...or at least have a friend that does, haha. Pathology is a class that is about 95% directed/self-study so personally, I would read the chapter once through, then again and add the to power points we were given, then create a study guide for my group of friends and it would get passed around. BRS Physio though is gold definitely buy and use...most people I know in the program would recommend it. I had a digital copy last semester and bought the actual book for first year.

Couldn't agree more! :)

Would you recommend the BRS books only for physio or for biochem and other classes as well?

Hi I was recently accepted into the Post Bacc program for this cycle and was wondering what textbooks were used for sem 1? I heard that there are free PDFs available online, where can I find these? I want to start reading/preparing before classes start.

I was also wondering about the housing situation. Do most people dorm or get an apartment close to campus? How do people go about finding an apartment?

Thanks!

Does anyone have a copy of last year's schedule? I know that some classes start before others finish, so I was hoping to get a rough idea of how the semester might be.

Does anyone have a copy of last year's schedule? I know that some classes start before others finish, so I was hoping to get a rough idea of how the semester might be.

These should help a little :)

Attachments

• Post Bacc Fall 2015 Schedule.pdf
    273.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Post Bacc Spring 2016 Schedule.pdf
    276.7 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 3 users