This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I just started looking into this program and saw:

"Those students who complete the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, pass all Post Bac classes, and achieve the required minimum on standardized exams will be guaranteed an interview at LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine."

Does this mean that even if you got say a 3.4 in the postbacc you could possibly not matriculate into the DO program? Do you have to fill out an aacomas app before/after the interview invite?

Thanks!

Hey, where is out schedule of classes for the post bac in our LECOM portal?

Members don't see this ad :)

"Those students who complete the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, pass all Post Bac classes, and achieve the required minimum on standardized exams will be guaranteed an interview at LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine."

Does this mean that even if you got say a 3.4 in the postbacc you could possibly not matriculate into the DO program? Do you have to fill out an aacomas app before/after the interview invite?

Thanks!

Yes, if you don't have the MCAT score or AIS score, misbehave, or if you do very poorly in the interview it will overshadow the 3.4 and jeopardize your acceptance.

You will fill out the aacomas app during the fall semester, so before the interview invitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!

We were told if you got a 3.2 you would be considered competitive for acceptance to the DO program. However, I know people who were accepted with 3.0 averages. My suggestion is always aim higher than required. To answer your question if you got a 3.4, didn't fail any classes, and didn't get in any type of trouble while in the program then it would be very unlikely you would be rejected from the DO program.

Class schedules probably won't be out till the end of August.

If it has been released it....when you log in on the portal the left hand side should have a section called schedules and will be found there. Might be a bit earlier though.

I'd recommend filling out the aacomas app right now if you're already accepted into the program since you may not have enough time during the semester to fill it out or write the personal statement.

Anybody heard anything back from LECOM lately? My status just changed to under review :nod:

Some more questions about the program:

About how many words should the essay response be?
Is it okay to apply to other med schools now before the post bacc starts or is that frowned upon by admissions?
Do they offer a committee letter if we decide for some reason to apply to other schools next year?

Thank you!

Are course content and exams at a med school level or less? I know its harder than undergrad, but trying to get a feel for the how these science courses compare

Are course content and exams at a med school level or less? I know its harder than undergrad, but trying to get a feel for the how these science courses compare

Yes the content and exams are med school level, but your lecture days are 4hrs vs med school's 8hr/day so you will have less content to know for each exam. The material isn't anymore difficult than what you are used to from undergrad, but it is the amount of information presented to you that creates the difficulty in the program. Imagine 20 units of 100% science classes in undergrad and then imagine if all of those classes had exams on the same day. Its like that. Its definitely doable, but requires your full focus during the 8mo the program lasts.

Congrats to everyone accepted so far and can't wait to meet you all in September. From what I can tell, as long as we study like our life depends on it (which it kind of does) we should all survive:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone please clarify me something... I am not sure. How does the post bacc linkage works ..? For example let's say I start the Lecom post bacc fall 2017 and finish May 2018. Do I get accepted to Lecom DO for the fall 2018 or fall 2019..?!! If the following year then it means I have to wait a year...?

Someone please clarify me something... I am not sure. How does the post bacc linkage works ..? For example let's say I start the Lecom post bacc fall 2017 and finish May 2018. Do I get accepted to Lecom DO for the fall 2018 or fall 2019..?!! If the following year then it means I have to wait a year...?

You will be in the DO class start that begins in 2018 (if you finish in May 2018 and met all of the requirement)

You will be in the DO class start that begins in 2018 (if you finish in May 2018 and met all of the requirement)

Oh thank you!!! That's good
Well I am going to apply to post bacc next year. Hoping to start the post bacc fall 2018 and of course if everything goes fine start medical school fall 2019.
A friend told me I had to wait a year and it kind of scared me because it's useless to do a post bacc and wait for a year!
I am applying to Lecom , TouroCOM and Vcom but my first choice is Lecom...

Can anybody from past Post-Bacc classes give any insight on the first physiology exam?

Can anybody from past Post-Bacc classes give any insight on the first physiology exam?

For us it was over fluids and electrophysiology mainly. It's not super long, from what I remember it was right around 40 questions. You will hear from most people that it is the exam that everyone does the worst on because they don't know what to expect yet, but it was actually my best physiology score. Don't let anyone psych you out by saying everyone does terrible on it.

Has anyone heard back from LECOM? How long does it take for them to make a decision?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For us it was over fluids and electrophysiology mainly. It's not super long, from what I remember it was right around 40 questions. You will hear from most people that it is the exam that everyone does the worst on because they don't know what to expect yet, but it was actually my best physiology score. Don't let anyone psych you out by saying everyone does terrible on it.

Thanks! I got my book early just to look over some of the concepts since I have never taken a physiology class before and just needed a place to start.

How does the post bacc program compare to the Master of Medical Sciences program?

Is it possible to get accepted at Lecom post bacc with a gpa of lower than 2.7
combined with a good mcat score ?!
Anyone got accepted with a lower gpa?

What would an example question look like? You don't have to put it word for word, but generally, what would a test question look like?

Is it like the MCAT, where they make you read a whole block of text to answer a confusing multiple choice test? Or is it more "What would cause the muscle to contract if there was a lack of Na+" kind of question.

What would an example question look like? You don't have to put it word for word, but generally, what would a test question look like?

Is it like the MCAT, where they make you read a whole block of text to answer a confusing multiple choice test? Or is it more "What would cause the muscle to contract if there was a lack of Na+" kind of question.

There's no passage based questions like that on the MCAT. Questions first semester are generally simple like the one you wrote but will almost always be clinically relevant. So your question would look more like "25yr old female presents with tense muscles and upon doing lab work she is found to have hyponatremia. Which of the follow would be the reason why her muscles are contracted? ABCDEF"

To get a better idea of the questions asked, refer to the BRS physiology book questions as a lot of students have found those questions to be similar to what's found on test day.

There's no passage based questions like that on the MCAT. Questions first semester are generally simple like the one you wrote but will almost always be clinically relevant. So your question would look more like "25yr old female presents with tense muscles and upon doing lab work she is found to have hyponatremia. Which of the follow would be the reason why her muscles are contracted? ABCDEF"

To get a better idea of the questions asked, refer to the BRS physiology book questions as a lot of students have found those questions to be similar to what's found on test day.

We have to applythrough AACOMAS again?!

We have to applythrough AACOMAS again?!

yes. They will instruct you on the process midway through the semester. I would have my personal statement ready to go before the program starts so you don't have to worry about writing it when you should be focusing on the post bacc.

When I called Jamie, I thought he said we could use our application that we used for the post bacc tho?!

yes. They will instruct you on the process midway through the semester. I would have my personal statement ready to go before the program starts so you don't have to worry about writing it when you should be focusing on the post bacc.

When I called Jamie, I thought he said we could use our application that we used for the post bacc tho?!

You can use a previous AACOMAS app that was sent to LECOM, but not the post bXx app

How did you guys send your letters of rec? I did it through interfolio a week ago but the portals not updated

Are you guys preparing and/or studying for anything right now?

Hey this is a random question, but for some reason I thought our books were provided in PDF form. I wasn't aware we had to purchase any. Where is every buying their books?

Hey this is a random question, but for some reason I thought our books were provided in PDF form. I wasn't aware we had to purchase any. Where is every buying their books?

Amazon

Thank you. If anyone has any information about registering for classes that would be great too!

They will automatically register you for classes closer to your start date. I think for us our classes showed up on the portal a few days before class. We also got the schedule about a week before classes started.

Hey guys, got my status changed from under review to “
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.”

Was wondering if both acceptances and rejections come in the mail? Anyway to call or find out online sooner? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys, got my status changed from under review to “
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.”

Was wondering if both acceptances and rejections come in the mail? Anyway to call or find out online sooner? Thanks everyone

I believe both come in the mail I'm not sure. I would give it a week and if you don't get anything give them a call. Good luck I'm sure it'll be good news! :)

Any idea if we can use our previous AACOMAs application to apply to the D.O. program after the post bac? I'm trying to figure out if I should write my personal statement now or if my previous one will be fine. Thanks!

I believe both come in the mail I'm not sure. I would give it a week and if you don't get anything give them a call. Good luck I'm sure it'll be good news! :)

Thank you so much

If you applied to LECOM and they have it, you can use it.

Any idea if we can use our previous AACOMAs application to apply to the D.O. program after the post bac? I'm trying to figure out if I should write my personal statement now or if my previous one will be fine. Thanks!

So nervous to hear back. Anyone think they are still accepting this late? I should be receiving a letter in a couple of days.

Also does anyone know if they take account grade replacement when looking at GPAS?

If you are using a previous AACOMAS, yes.

This years AACOMAS is a no go for grade replacement.

So nervous to hear back. Anyone think they are still accepting this late? I should be receiving a letter in a couple of days.

Also does anyone know if they take account grade replacement when looking at GPAS?

Anyone get accepted recently or hear back?

Recieved the mail today and got accepted into the Pharmacy post bacc and was wondering how financial aid works for this program? I do plan to call Monday morning, but if you guys have any info I would appreciate it!