Lecturio vs Pathoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiphopcrates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M1 in a systems-based curriculum that's very pathology-heavy already. Am having trouble learning from my lecturers, mostly because I feel like I don't have a context for the material. It's much easier for me to memorize when I UNDERSTAND what's going on.

I have Firecracker as a resource, but would like a video series to help supplement my school's lectures.

For those of you who've tried both, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M1 in a systems-based curriculum that's very pathology-heavy already. Am having trouble learning from my lecturers, mostly because I feel like I don't have a context for the material. It's much easier for me to memorize when I UNDERSTAND what's going on.

I have Firecracker as a resource, but would like a video series to help supplement my school's lectures.

For those of you who've tried both, thoughts?

All I can say is I've only heard of Lecturiono once and I've never heard pathoma not being mentioned for.. well.. anything. Boards, classes, whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried both. If you had to pick only one, then Pathoma for sure - it helps you understand the why behind everything. I love it, and highly recommend it even for those not struggling.

Lecturio is more like clear, concise lectures for each topic. I impulse-bought a subscription during our introductory embryology week because our lectures were just all over the place. I think they're good (better than Dr. Najeeb's videos for embryology), but not necessary. Lecturio also has practice questions and nice notes to go along with their videos, though I haven't tried the former since I really haven't had time.

Personally, I feel that these are two different resources. Everyone should have Pathoma, though it's not comprehensive for all topics. Lecturio is comprehensive for years 1 & 2 from what I can tell so far, but is more of a resource to go hand-in-hand for all your lecture topics. Like if you had a second lecturer for the exact same topic each time.

Pathoma is used almost universally for Step 1. Pretty much replaced Goljan which was the standard for a number of years.

Go with pathoma!

I've never heard of Lecture but Pathoma was golden.

Also I kinda disagree that Pathoma's replaced Goljan. I think Pathoma is better for straight-up pathology and its images (including his terrible but wonderful drawings), but Goljan's explanations of pathophysiology are second to none. Definitely heard his voice in my head during both COMLEX and USMLE. I saved that for dedicated boards prep and used Pathoma during MS2.

Pathoma is used almost universally for Step 1. Pretty much replaced Goljan which was the standard for a number of years.

Go with pathoma!

Yeah, Pathoma is standard now, but I don't agree that it has replaced Goljan. I've noticed a trend that the highest Step 1 scorers use Goljan. It's simply more comprehensive than Pathoma. Pathoma is more "bang for your buck," so to speak, in that it is condensed high-yield info, but it is missing some stuff that is fair game for the boards. Whereas if you know Goljan, nothing will escape you.

Ideally, you would know big Robbins, but that's not realistic for med student purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, Pathoma is standard now, but I don't agree that it has replaced Goljan. I've noticed a trend that the highest Step 1 scorers use Goljan. It's simply more comprehensive than Pathoma. Pathoma is more "bang for your buck," so to speak, in that it is condensed high-yield info, but it is missing some stuff that is fair game for the boards. Whereas if you know Goljan, nothing will escape you.

Ideally, you would know big Robbins, but that's not realistic for med student purposes.

Aren't you a first year? Pathoma was beyond comprehensive for step 1

Aren't you a first year? Pathoma was beyond comprehensive for step 1

Yeah, M1 here, but I'm just noting what I've seen on SDN. It's purely anecdotal and only amounts to the difference between the uppermost echelons of Step 1 scores, i.e., all other things being equal, someone who knew all of Pathoma may cap out at 250-260, whereas he who learned pathology from Goljan could crack 270+. This is irrelevant to 99% of test-takers, by definition, of course. Also, again, it is purely conjecture, but I, for one, will definitely be using Goljan in conjuction with Pathoma.

Haven't used Ppathoma. Have used Lecturio extensively. One of the answers above says that: "Lecturio is more like clear, concise lectures for each topic", and it is exactly that. So it really depends on what you are looking for, for myself I had the bad luck of having a lot of disconnected lecturers and Lecturio REALLY helped me out. I am still using it to cover some basic concepts that were not well understood and have used it all throughout my medical rotations.

I can't talk about Pathoma since I haven't used it. Try them both out and see what works. Also, from what I have read on the answers in this thread it seems that they are different things, maybe a combination of both will help.

Good luck.