less competitive residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clue me in on a few of the less competitive anes residency programs? Somewhere I saw that not all spots were filled last year in the match -- any idea what programs don't always fill? Anyone know anything about the programs in kentucky? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

amyl said:
Can anyone clue me in on a few of the less competitive anes residency programs? Somewhere I saw that not all spots were filled last year in the match -- any idea what programs don't always fill? Anyone know anything about the programs in kentucky? thanks

From what I gather you are a first year, or havent started school at all.

May I ask why, at the outset, you are already aiming for less competitive locations?

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask why, at the outset, you are already aiming for less competitive locations?[/QUOTE]

Want to know what some safe bets are to put on my list. I am a D.O. candidate and wanted to know some programs that might be D.O. friendly and more of a sure bet. My grades are good but I don't know about the boards as I am just starting third year.

Well its like my pappy used to say, "son,, set ur goals low.....and you never be disapointed."

thanks dad, you lazy bastard. :)

amyl said:
May I ask why, at the outset, you are already aiming for less competitive locations?

Want to know what some safe bets are to put on my list. I am a D.O. candidate and wanted to know some programs that might be D.O. friendly and more of a sure bet. My grades are good but I don't know about the boards as I am just starting third year.[/QUOTE]

understood.

I know that UCONN has quite a few DOs.
And they also didn't fill all their spots a couple years in a row now.

It's interesting because I read a few reviews from people who interviewed there and they all seemed to like it.
But I personally wouldn't rank the program high.
It's the atmosphere. Some attendings can be pretty malignant. Plus the place is huge so you are just one in a million - no one treats you personally.
I didn't think the relationship between residents and attendings was very good. But that's just my personal impression.
Plus there is no research - big disadvantage for some people.
But the exposure is pretty good. Residents get a lot of cases including all kinds of transplant, lots of hearts, regional is not the best but decent.
There is no fellows to compete with for cases so that's a plus.
And they have a lot of CRNA's so the residents get relieved if the case gets really long like past 6 pm.
Like I said - all depends on the feeling.
I also had a bad experience with the hospital being a patient there so maybe I'm biased.

Buckeye(OH) said:
From what I gather you are a first year, or havent started school at all.

As long as he's aiming for high quality less competitive locations then what's the problem? Competition in admissions and strength of training probably don't correlate very well. If they correlate at all it's probably due to the self-fulfilling prophesy that competitive supposedly = better -> attracts stronger applicants. Even that probably isn't true. If anyone has any data to suggest that the 'top' tier programs have better training and better graduates, then I'd be very interested to see it. Not that you should avoid prestigious locations, but not everyone cares about impressing his classmates with a famous-name residency. Most of us apply for some big names, I did, but we shouldn't force this preference for meaninglessly 'highly ranked' programs on amyl.

To the original poster

Dude/Dudette.
Bottomline, I really dont think there will be a thing as a 'easy to get into residency' for anesthesiology. Look at how competitive it has gotten in recent years. Also just take a look at how many ppl just in your class, not to mention other med schools have become interested in the field. Anesthesiology has definitely done a 180.

Good luck