Lessons Learned - Coronavirus Pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we have a good handle on post infection immunity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A bit of an aside, but libertarians, and by some extent the proponents of Austrian economics, do have valid ideas. But they often eschew pragmatism for ideological purity, and that can make it hard to take them seriously.
I'l take Hayek over Keynes, but not because I eschew [small 'p'] pragmatism or favor some abstract sense of "ideological purity"...claiming pragmatism as a guiding principle is a convenient and vacuous way to distance your decisions from any sort of underlying bias or guiding principle. You simply encounter each situation as it comes and choose the most logical, pragmatic way to manage it, right? Geez that must make things so much easier, not being bogged down with any sort of dogma like us rigid inflexible ideologues. You're simply being a pragmatist, I'm the one being ideological.

...as two issues are getting mixed together ...".

This was in essence my point--that an underlying dislike for Trump does not substantiate a failure of llibertarianism, as opposed to failures --perceived or actual--of him as a person/President. Or, conversely, that people are viewing the entire situation exclusively through the prism of politics and regardless of what happens/happened, Trump can do nothing right because he's a vile and outright malicious person and he's clearly a detriment to our efforts.

This certainly may turn out to be true when all the cards fall--either through is actions or inaction, there is blame that can and will and to some degree should be placed on his shoulders--but it doesn't serve as some revelation about libertarianism failing us. Unless that fits your narrative.

And, fwiw, speaking of logical fallacies, ...
Black swans, by definition, are unpredictable and unexpected. If anything, the black swan here is the incompetent response led by people who didn't act rationally, as expected, even though they had prepared action plans under their noses.
...this makes little sense... I'm confused as to how people you expect to act irrationally would present a competent response...

The pentagon predicts and models all sorts of scenarios, 'end game' or otherwise...predictions and models for scenarios don't translate into perfectly executed performances.

It amazes me the expectations people place on the federal government, let alone the reliance, not just in terms of what you "want" or "think" the government should be able to do, but the actual capability.

Members don't see this ad :)
La, are you too loaded to follow this now? I am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Part of it is still supplies like transport media and swabs. Now that many hospitals are bringing up in house testing options, places may start moving towards expanding testing criteria. But I think a lot of places are still wary about running out of supplies - I don't think the big barrier is still number of tests that can be done by the machine per hour. I think the supply chain is improving, which is good!

Since the new infection rate is declining because of social distancing, the actual number of people seeking tests for symptoms is also decreasing. While numbers of hospitalized and critically ill patients may still be increasing because it takes 2-3 weeks sometimes to get to that point, perhaps the earlier stages are actually declining, which would be great news.

Reactions: 1 user