Thank you, I was looking for this lol. It's the truth, and I'm amazed the argument is still open to some.
Yeah but the problem with doing so is that you're not considering too many variables. First of all, at many state schools those 500 kids will more likely than not be filling up hardcore majors like aerospace engineering. With some majors student may need to apply to them first and have pretty high GPA to be accepted. Now, of course they can take easy classes and make their GPA better, but this is not fooling anybody. If your GPA is high due to good grades in easy communication classes, you will not be taken seriously by the adcom and most likely will not do that well on the MCAT.
Bottom line, I would never say average student at average class in state college is experiencing as rigorous curriculum as average kid at MIT, but a kid majoring in electrical engineering may actually get more challenged at state school than someone majoring in political science in the Ivy that is know to curve heavily. There are too many factors aside from prestige of the school that could affect the rigor of your education and that is why the admission is holistic and takes into account many other things besides GPA and the institution you went to.
-I agree. This means that the concentration of top-level students is more diffuse. Therefore it will be easier for the remaining top students to sit comfortably at the top of the class. I know this from personal experience.
-Alas, I wish this were true. I know many people that padded their GPA the entire time while I took 2 pre-reqs + 1 neuro per semester, as well as gen. eds (I wasn't pre-med from the start, as shocking as that is
😉). Admissions folks are fooled, or else they simply don't care as long as the MCAT backs it up. If I could go back, I'd pad my GPA up 0.2 or so by "playing the game".
-I wholeheartedly agree. There are plenty of majors at top schools that are easy to get a 3.5+ GPA, while more than a few at your average school would be quite challenging. For the hard sciences though, I would say this doesn't hold the majority of the time (as would
LizzyM, whose opinion is much more relevant than ours). I would also like to clarify that it is definitely not a state vs. private school thing to me. I'd expect places like Berkeley, UCLA, UF, U Mich, etc. to be quite competitive for pre-med students.