2025-2026 Johns Hopkins

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still can't believe I'm being considered for admission and am so thankful but also super nervous for my interview next week as this is my dream school. My mcat is below their median (517) and I'm worried that I they'll grill me about minor things or that I have to outperform to earn my spot. I'm wondering if anyone could share their experiences and any advice if you've interviewed here already. Thank you so much for all of your guys' help, you're amazing!
 
I still can't believe I'm being considered for admission and am so thankful but also super nervous for my interview next week as this is my dream school. My mcat is below their median (517) and I'm worried that I they'll grill me about minor things or that I have to outperform to earn my spot. I'm wondering if anyone could share their experiences and any advice if you've interviewed here already. Thank you so much for all of your guys' help, you're amazing!
Similar MCAT, was a super chill interview for both the faculty and student.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember last year they sent out a notification to all applicants, including those who haven't received interview invites, about filling out the CSS profile. Has anyone who hasn't interviewed received this communication this year?
 
+1 OOS II, submitted late July

Does anyone have any tips on the interviews? And what is the student panel discussion I'm confused on what it is lol
 
admit says the II to A is 50%? How true is that? The # of II sent out matches MSAR numbers but anyone know how many people are actually accepted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the ratio is 34% of II get accepted but thats older (2022/2023) US news data. things change. based on admit.org is about 50%. this could be because the data is too old to be representative or admit.org population is skewed towards good applicants. just remember, since you are a user of SDN/admit.org, you fall into the population with a 50% rate. so you have about a 50% chance post-II
Admit’s stat page is not based off their collected data but is instead based off available data from the msar and the school’s site
 
i had an interview at hopkins last month and it went horribly. the first 20ish minutes was fine but then once we got to the list of questions that they ask every applicant, my interviewer started getting really annoyed and repeating the same thing along the lines of "i'm trying to understand... blah blah blah... or HOW exactly did you...." or "i get _... but i'm really trying to understand." "right, but WHAT exactly would you_." it felt really unproductive and i've done mock interviews and other traditional interviews before so i know my responses have been solid and well liked by different people. it felt like she was really grilling me and unsatisfied with what i was saying so she kept asking follow up questions. even when i felt my answers had been adequate and i'd shared a good patient story or provided solid logic, it felt like she was just shooting down everything i said. i tried to not get flustered and just take it by stride but it felt really demoralizing. she seemed super disinterested throughout the interview, would often interrupt me, and i saw her yawning during one of the responses. i also asked solid questions linked to the work she was doing in the baltimore community and she still seemed so zoned out and like she didn't care. i was really shocked by this interview experience because i've had amazing, warm, and conversational traditional interviews at other schools. it was surprising because a lot of the current students and applicants this cycle were talking about how chill and conversational their interview was and mine felt like the exact opposite. (the student interview was wonderful though). hopkins is obviously a dream school but i feel like this one person has ruined my chances at something i worked so hard for. it feels so unfair. does anyone have a similar experience or thoughts on what to expect? i'm really scared and this is going to be eating at me until march.
Are we the same person ? I had a totally similar experience to yours. My student interview went amazing, we went beyond the 1 hour mark and kept talking about stuff but my god the faculty interview was horrible. To my dismay, they matched me with an MD-Phd Neurosurgeon (lol), who just did not seem interested in the interview and kept stopping me with the same stuff as yours. He just did not care at all and wasn't invested. This was my first interview too and really put me down. Still hoping for the best as this remains my dream school.
 
Are we the same person ? I had a totally similar experience to yours. My student interview went amazing, we went beyond the 1 hour mark and kept talking about stuff but my god the faculty interview was horrible. To my dismay, they matched me with an MD-Phd Neurosurgeon (lol), who just did not seem interested in the interview and kept stopping me with the same stuff as yours. He just did not care at all and wasn't invested. This was my first interview too and really put me down. Still hoping for the best as this remains my dream school.
Also same hahaha
 
i've heard from current students that they know if you wanna go there or not, LOI doesn't make any difference (especially after free tuition). i think the adcoms biggest concern is whether people will actually wanna live in baltimore (which is in imo a top 5 worst city to live in the US lol)

I suppose that an LOI cant hurt
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've heard from current students that they know if you wanna go there or not, LOI doesn't make any difference (especially after free tuition). i think the adcoms biggest concern is whether people will actually wanna live in baltimore (which is in imo a top 5 worst city to live in the US lol)

I suppose that an LOI cant hurt
What do you mean by they know if you wanna go or not? Do you mean that is what they're looking for in the interview, whether you want to serve the community or not depending on how you speak about your work?
 
Last edited:
What do you mean by they know if you wanna go or not? Do you mean that is what they're looking for in the interview, whether you want to serve the community or not depending on how you speak about your work?
they know that most people, if invitd to come to hopkins with free tuition, will come there. so a letter of intent (saying you are gonna come there) is just reaffirming the belief that you will come. could be valuable i suppose.
 
They know your application very well, so brush up on that. You'll be fine, they don't really ask crazy questions, but unlike other interviews I've been in, they follow up on your answers (oh you mentioned approaching teams like this, tell me more about that).
thank you so much!!! this is so reassuring
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I might have zoned out during this part of the information session, but did the admission team said that R will come earlier (think I heard Feb) than Waitlist which then is followed by A in mid March? If anyone can confirm for me whether I hallucinated this part or it actually happened🤣
 
I might have zoned out during this part of the information session, but did the admission team said that R will come earlier (think I heard Feb) than Waitlist which then is followed by A in mid March? If anyone can confirm for me whether I hallucinated this part or it actually happened🤣
I remember them saying that all decisions will be released mid March, no matter what it is, so I guess R/A/WLs will all come out the same time? I assume there might be waves, but who knows