Let's try again, join me for study group NBDE I may/June 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blissonearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, let's continue the closed thread here. No promoting any materials here, just prop some in doubt questions as our exam is approaching fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it 1 ? or 4 ? 4 is right in skin cancer due to the UV rays, when you remove, it comes back.

Anyone ?
answer is 5....:thumbup:

i have one more question.....
reninorangiotensin.jpg

my query is they are asking renal HORMONE... neither renin or angiotensin is a hormone i think.. as far as i know renin is enzyme and angiotensin is a protein.. but pl clarify still more.. and which can be the answer? renin and angiotensin work together.. so which can be answer? any specific one??? ...

answer is 5....:thumbup:

i have one more question.....
reninorangiotensin.jpg

my query is they are asking renal HORMONE... neither renin or angiotensin is a hormone i think.. as far as i know renin is enzyme and angiotensin is a protein.. but pl clarify still more.. and which can be the answer? renin and angiotensin work together.. so which can be answer? any specific one??? ...

Ans:renin

enzymes and hormones(except those derived from cholesterol) are proteins too , just trying to clarify here hope it helps !

Renin is the first in a series of important chemical messengers that comprise the renin-angiotensin system. Changes in renin ultimately alter the output of this system, principally the hormones angiotensin II and aldosterone. Each hormone acts via multiple mechanisms, but both increase the kidney's absorption of sodium chloride, thereby expanding the extracellular fluid compartment and raising blood pressure.

which of the following describes major effect of sickle cell anemia?

A. absence of biphosphoglcerate binding of Hb
B. Substitution of 2 proximal hisdine.
C. Decresed solubiity of deoxy form of Hb
D. A P50 valur for Hb similar to that of myoglobin
E. Decresed number of subunits in Hb

answer: C

N THANKS FOR THE ANSWER BLISSONEARTH..DIDNT KW HW TO CALCAULATE DAT...

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical examination reveals that lingual cusp of tooth#5 is brokn off.this is most likely due to which mandibular movement??
1.left mesiotrusive
2.right mesiotrusive
3.left laterotrusive
4.right laterotrusive

the answer is A but i fail to understand.
when we talk about left mesiotrusive does it not mean that it is right laterotrusive??

pls explain:eek:

i gotta question... answer is 1. viral infection. but how? i mean it has only resistance against viral infection?
brutontypeagammaglobuli.jpg

Ans:renin

enzymes and hormones(except those derived from cholesterol) are proteins too , just trying to clarify here hope it helps !

Renin is the first in a series of important chemical messengers that comprise the renin-angiotensin system. Changes in renin ultimately alter the output of this system, principally the hormones angiotensin II and aldosterone. Each hormone acts via multiple mechanisms, but both increase the kidney's absorption of sodium chloride, thereby expanding the extracellular fluid compartment and raising blood pressure.

thanks buddy...:thumbup:

ya its varicella...it cause chicken pox in children...thn shingles in adults by being latent in the sensory ganglia of spinal/cranial nerves.

shingles is seen only in adults? and one more query is .. do varicella cause herpangina? if not .. which herpes causes it?

i m kinda confused..

thanks buddy...:thumbup:

shingles is seen only in adults? and one more query is .. do varicella cause herpangina? if not .. which herpes causes it?

i m kinda confused..

yes shingles are seen in adults only.varicella doesnt cause herpangina.it is caused my coxakie virus A.varicella zoster causes chicken pox in children.the same virus had a latent phase in the dorsal roo ganglia of nerves and causes shingles in adults.shingles affect only single dermatome.it is unilateral.coxakie virus is picorna virus.it causes herpangian and hand foot and mouth disease.both are similar except .herpangina affects pharynx too.

i hope this is help ful.my exam is on 24th june.doin anatomy now.

and ya .. one more question was.. why there is polycythemia in emphysema?

polycythemia vera or primary is due to directly blood and bone marrow related causes
secondary polycythemia is due to increased demand states , i.e in hypoxia
e.g of such situations are emphysema (where there is prolonged o2 deficient state)

thank you truth seeker and coucou...

one more question.. here it comes... :)

answer i have highlited.. but can anybody give me explanation?

streptoincarrierandinho.jpg

i have found 2 different answer of same question.. here are they.. can anyone clarify which is the correct answer?

mucormycosis.jpg

for above question answer is mucormycosis

phycomycosisnecrotizing.jpg

in this the answer says phycomycosis...

pl tell the correct answer....

I have doubt in one more question. if anyone can clarify...
rootcariesactinomycesan.jpg

answer given is actinomyces and odontomyces but i doubt ...
i would like to know which bacteria causes smooth surface caries ....

Members don't see this ad :)
hi phycomycosis and mucormycosis is the same thing...didnt know it either...found it in wiki. but i guess if u dont know these kind of ques, eliminating the sure-wrong ones method is the only way. :scared:

Actinomyces species esp A. viscosus and A. naesilundi is related to root surface caries. odontomyces??? never heard of that one.
the rest..cause smooth surface caries..S. mutans, sanguis, salivarius, Lactobacillus etc. Please correct if im wrong.

hi phycomycosis and mucormycosis is the same thing...didnt know it either...found it in wiki. but i guess if u dont know these kind of ques, eliminating the sure-wrong ones method is the only way. :scared:

well.. eleminating the wrong ones is a good option i agree.. but in this case.. i was helpless with other options eleminating..

can u please give me key diseases cause by other organisms mentioned in the options??? plz...:):)

Actinomyces species esp A. viscosus and A. naesilundi is related to root surface caries. odontomyces??? never heard of that one.
the rest..cause smooth surface caries..S. mutans, sanguis, salivarius, Lactobacillus etc. Please correct if im wrong.

i agree but when u see this for 1st glimpse this question.. u think of actinomyces...but when u see odontomyces.. u tend to doubt .. .

I agree only actinomyces causes root caries..but can u give me some ideas of remaining options in the question?? i mean i havent heard of others also... lolz..

and one more doubt.. actinomyces which u mentioned in this.. causing root caries... is same as actinomycosis? which causes plurulent exudate with sulfur like granules? or both are different? i m confused.:thumbup::thumbup:

its something we learn as we solve papers, btw all the above info being correct i just wanted add Lactobacillus- pit and fissure caries mostly

its something we learn as we solve papers, btw all the above info being correct i just wanted add Lactobacillus- pit and fissure caries mostly
thanks for the exchange of info...

actinomyces... root surface caries...
lactobacillus ... pit and fissure caries...
s. mutans.. smooth surface caries....

hey you did not told... about is actinomyces and actinomycosis both same? i mean the later one causes prulurent discharge with multiple sinus tract draining.. and sulfur granules characterstics... kindly plz tell if u have any idea....

thanks a lot for the clarification buddy..

Wish we had that luxury !
:idea: after the exam.. i know we all are undergoing lots of mental pressure...:D:D

well.. eleminating the wrong ones is a good option i agree.. but in this case.. i was helpless with other options eleminating..

can u please give me key diseases cause by other organisms mentioned in the options??? plz...:):)

i agree but when u see this for 1st glimpse this question.. u think of actinomyces...but when u see odontomyces.. u tend to doubt .. .

I agree only actinomyces causes root caries..but can u give me some ideas of remaining options in the question?? i mean i havent heard of others also... lolz..

and one more doubt.. actinomyces which u mentioned in this.. causing root caries... is same as actinomycosis? which causes plurulent exudate with sulfur like granules? or both are different? i m confused.:thumbup::thumbup:

Dont confuse , its this way:
A.israelii - actinomycosis
A.viscosus and A.naeslundii - root surface caries

Actinomyces is a opportunistic oral pathogen .

Dont confuse , its this way:
A.israelii - actinomycosis
A.viscosus and A.naeslundii - root surface caries

Actinomyces is a opportunistic oral pathogen .

lolz...:slap:thanks buddy..

folic acid defeciency causes which anaemia? megaloblastic or pernicious?
and B12 vitamin defeciency causes which anaemia?:rolleyes:

if im not wrong..both megaloblastic and pernicious Anemia are due to vit B12 def. the only thing is, Megaloblastic A can be caused by folic acid deficiency too.
But pernicious A is a TYPE OF megaloblastic A.
the problem is that the intrinsic factor which helps the body absorb Vit B12 is deficient in patients with Pernicious A.

so to make it short..

Megaloblastic A - Vit B12/folic acid def

Pernicious A - type of Megaloblastic.
- lack of intrinsic factor -> leading to B12 def.

Last edited:
pheochromocytomahyperte.jpg

answer is hypertension. can anybody explain why? and how?

pheochromocytoma is neuro endocrine tumore of adrenal medulla. hows it related to hypertension?

if im not wrong..both megaloblastic and pernicious Anemia are due to vit B12 def.
But pernicious A is a TYPE OF megaloblastic A.
the problem is that the intrinsic factor which helps the body absorb Vit B12 is deficient in patients with Pernicious A.

if so than what can be the answer of this que.. can u explain..

perniciousanaemiaisbest.jpg

answer given is vit b12. but i think folic acid also causes pernicious anameia??
but than i am confused.. what causes megaloblastic anaemia?:confused::confused::confused:

i doubt if both anemia are caused by B12 !! still need to confirm..

hi folic acid def only causes Megaloblastic A. U can think of it this way....B12 or folic acid can cause Megaloblastic. but only B12 causes Pernicious A.

pheochromocytomahyperte.jpg

answer is hypertension. can anybody explain why? and how?

pheochromocytoma is neuro endocrine tumore of adrenal medulla. hows it related to hypertension?

adrenal medulla -epi/NE - B.P.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
hi there according to my friend who gave the exam last week its mostly clinical oriented for eg they might give u the symptoms of alcaptonuria n ask u the enzyme responsible so its a 2 step process first u diagnose the disease then the enzyme or pathway involved

adrenal medulla - zona glomerulosa - aldosterone - B.P.
Hope this helps
:thumbup::thumbup: thanks truth seeker...

hi there according to my friend who gave the exam last week its mostly clinical oriented for eg they might give u the symptoms of alcaptonuria n ask u the enzyme responsible so its a 2 step process first u diagnose the disease then the enzyme or pathway involved
with regard to which que.. u r telling? i did not understand...:eek::eek:

Preganglionic parasympathetic fibers pass
through which of the following structures?

1.Foramen ovale
2.Stylomastoid foramen
3.Foramen magnum and hypoglossal canal
4.Superior orbital fissure and
petrotympanic fissure

answer with explanation pls
the answer given is 4 but i can't understand.thanks

Preganglionic parasympathetic fibers pass
through which of the following structures?

1.Foramen ovale
2.Stylomastoid foramen
3.Foramen magnum and hypoglossal canal
4.Superior orbital fissure and
petrotympanic fissure

answer with explanation pls
the answer given is 4 but i can't understand.thanks

i think the pre ganglionic fibres pass through superior orbital fissure and from ciliary ganglion in posterior compartment of eye.

rest all other options , if we think of nerves passing through and those which forms ganglions ... it wont be solely single nerve..which preganglionic fibres make it....

i m sort of unclear but i think thts what fits the best looking at the other options....:)

:thumbup::thumbup: thanks truth seeker...

with regard to which que.. u r telling? i did not understand...:eek::eek:

i think the pre ganglionic fibres pass through superior orbital fissure and from ciliary ganglion in posterior compartment of eye.

rest all other options , if we think of nerves passing through and those which forms ganglions ... it wont be solely single nerve..which preganglionic fibres make it....

i m sort of unclear but i think thts what fits the best looking at the other options....:)

thanks but stylomastoid foramen only th facial nerve passes and it has parasympatetic fibres.
one more pls
Which of the following arteries is NOT
derived​
from the celiac trunk or its branches?

Left gastric
Short gastric,
Gastroduodenal
Left gastroepiploic
Inferior pancreaticoduodenal​

I think all are derived from celiac trunk and its branches
pls clarify.​

thanks but stylomastoid foramen only th facial nerve passes and it has parasympatetic fibres.

facial nerve passes through stylomastoid foramen.. and it has parasympathetic.. but i think the question was about preganglionic fibres... i dont know much details abt ganglions and this stuff so wont like to comment on it... let me know if u find something relevant.. post it here.. dont forget to quote your original question with it.. or it will be messy..:D
Which of the following arteries is NOT
derived​
from the celiac trunk or its branches?

Left gastric
Short gastric,
Gastroduodenal
Left gastroepiploic
Inferior pancreaticoduodenal​

I think all are derived from celiac trunk and its branches
pls clarify.​

inferior pancreaticoduodenal artery is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery which in turn arises from abdominal aorta. .. i found in wiki...

so i think the answer is inferior pancreaticoduodenal aretey... correct me if i m wrong..

let me kwow the source from which this question and what is the answer given ..

facial nerve passes through stylomastoid foramen.. and it has parasympathetic.. but i think the question was about preganglionic fibres... i dont know much details abt ganglions and this stuff so wont like to comment on it... let me know if u find something relevant.. post it here.. dont forget to quote your original question with it.. or it will be messy..:D

inferior pancreaticoduodenal artery is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery which in turn arises from abdominal aorta. .. i found in wiki...

so i think the answer is inferior pancreaticoduodenal aretey... correct me if i m wrong..

let me kwow the source from which this question and what is the answer given ..

i think u r right.the answer gvn is left gastroepiploic,maybe something wrong with the key.it is one of the released questions,i think I-I series.
thanks

Here is one question.. if anyone can tell me answer.....
2factorsforinitiationof.jpg

i m confused with options 1 , 2 and 5. can anyone explain about it??? what is enzymes glycosyltransferase for?

Query :

if RNA tumor virus is associated with reverse transcriptase than what about DNA tumor viruses?

hey guys would like to ask a very simple question about the study pattern..
forexample now iam into anatomy and ill shift to micro/patho as soon as iam done with anatomy..or is it better to mix the materials ,one week anatomy,second week bio.3rd week micro....etc... need advice !!!

hey guys would like to ask a very simple question about the study pattern..
forexample now iam into anatomy and ill shift to micro/patho as soon as iam done with anatomy..or is it better to mix the materials ,one week anatomy,second week bio.3rd week micro....etc... need advice !!!

I think each subjects divided into chapters, so, I do like the idea of mixing it, so it covers almost everything by the time you take exams.... :)

Hello,
I'm posting this to request some information from you. My wife finished her BDS and internship in India. She wants to do DDS here in USA. If possible, can you please post some information related.. I mean from where should we start and what to do...what is the general procedure?
Please help us with some useful information..

Thanks
Vid

Gastroepiploic artery

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gastroepiploic artery is the name of two different arteries serving the stomach and greater omentum:

so i think the answer is wrong...

just need one confirmation.. gastro epiploic and gastro omental are same or different?

Hello,
I'm posting this to request some information from you. My wife finished her BDS and internship in India. She wants to do DDS here in USA. If possible, can you please post some information related.. I mean from where should we start and what to do...what is the general procedure?

Thanks
Vid

Hello,

Thanks
Vid

adrenal medulla - catecolamines like epi and norepi - sympathetic stimulation - hypertention.

zona glomerulosa is in adrenal cortex

hope this clears

hey thanks for correcting me ,,this is insane!
dont know am making vaguely silly mistakes , God knows whats overpowerd me .

If the spinal tract of the fifth cranial nerve were
sectioned at the level of the caudal medulla,
which of the following modalities would be​
most affected?​

1.Taste
2.Proprioception
3Pain from the ipsilateral side of the face
4Light touch from the contralateral side of
the face​

the answer given is 3 but I was under the impession that pain fibres cross to the opposite side.

pls clarify

This is great! The forum started to go wonderfully! I won't see you guys for a week. I am leaving for vacation. I will be back and join you guys again!!!

Keep up with the questions and discussions!

Loved it!

phageconversionisrespon.jpg

WHAT IS EXACTLY PHAGE CONVERSION? IS IT SAME AS BACTERIO PHAGE? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS IT BASICALLY?

ANS IS 5. PL I NEED EXPLANATION.

HO GUYS .,, I HAVE FOUND THIS QUESTION TWICE.. AND WITH 2 DIFFERENT ANSWER.. CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?

summerillnesscausedbyco.jpg

2 DIFFERENT ANSWER WAS 1. INFLUENZA AND 4. COXSACKIEVIRUS.

I THINK COXSACKIEVIRUS A CAUSES ORAL LESIONS WITH SUCH CHARACTERSTIC. STILL NOT SURE.. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER>>

PS GUYS.. THOSE WHO ARE REALLY GIVING IN MAY / JUNE EXAM.. NEED TO BE MORE ACTIVE NOW... :D:D:D

PUMP UP.. GEAR UP.. AND STOP:sleep::sleep::sleep:

WE NEED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.. WITHOUT PROCASTRINATION...

Status
Not open for further replies.