Letter of rec from prof that left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bigwill6709

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm planning on applying to Med/Peds next year (rising M4). I did my pediatrics rotation relatively early in the academic year. One professor in particular seemed to like me, and I got the verbal committment from him that he would write me a letter of recommendation when the time comes. We've kept in touch, but he has recently decided to leave his job here in pursuit of a job elsewhere (wasn't getting to focus on what he enjoys doing clinically). As far as I know, he left on good terms here, but is it still appropriate for me to use his letter in ERAS? I just wonder if it will be weird considering his title will be from another institution.

Any advice is appreciated!
 
I did this for one my letters. My prof left for a better job at another med school. Uploaded the letter into ERAS using the new school's letterhead. Turned out fine. Few interviewers commented on it in an off-hand manner but that was it. In that particular case, I was willing to do so because the prof was fairly well-known not sure if I would have pursued it if they wasn't that factor. Can't hurt to ask and add that letter to ERAS and decide later if you will use it.