Letter of Rec From Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general consensus is that letters from shadowing are given little weight since the activity is done passively.. but I shadowed a doctor at a private clinic over the summer once a week (total about 50 hours) and did a mini project for her organizing patient outcomes from her past surgeries. A lot of the people I know had some kind of clinical letter either from shadowing or volunteering, but right now my 5 letters are 2 science profs, 1 english prof, 1 MD PI and 1 PhD PI. I feel like I may be lacking in a clinical letter so I was wondering if I should get a letter from the doctor I shadowed. I think I showed enough face to her but not quite sure we are in a relationship for my letter to shine. Would it be a risk for me to use her letter if it is just mediocrally written? I was planning to replace it with the english LOR if the school doesn't require a non-science LOR since some schools cap at 5 letters.

I am concerned about a clinical letter because I am applying without gap year, so I am on the younger side of the applicant pool and so I feel like I need to make an effort to show I have the maturity and skills to be a physician, which I feel could be expressed in a letter of rec from a clinician.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the general consensus is that letters from shadowing are given little weight since the activity is done passively.. but I shadowed a doctor at a private clinic over the summer once a week (total about 50 hours) and did a mini project for her organizing patient outcomes from her past surgeries. A lot of the people I know had some kind of clinical letter either from shadowing or volunteering, but right now my 5 letters are 2 science profs, 1 english prof, 1 MD PI and 1 PhD PI. I feel like I may be lacking in a clinical letter so I was wondering if I should get a letter from the doctor I shadowed. I think I showed enough face to her but not quite sure we are in a relationship for my letter to shine. Would it be a risk for me to use her letter if it is just mediocrally written? I was planning to replace it with the english LOR if the school doesn't require a non-science LOR since some schools cap at 5 letters.

I am concerned about a clinical letter because I am applying without gap year, so I am on the younger side of the applicant pool and so I feel like I need to make an effort to show I have the maturity and skills to be a physician, which I feel could be expressed in a letter of rec from a clinician.
How many hours did the "mini project take you to complete? Did you meet with the doc regarding the set up and results so that she was able to interact with you on a more personal level? Did you do anything else to help out in the office that she might be able to comment on? Would she comment on your maturity and professionalism positively? If the letter is able to reflect more than just your passive observation and appropriate apparel , it might be worth acquiring (but you may have to prompt her to include all these other details).

I was a traditional applicant and did not have a letter from shadowing. It would have added nothing to my application. You’ll be fine without it.