letter of rec issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiogirl2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So basically the story is I asked a professor for a letter of rec back in October. He agreed to it and asked for me to send my resume, explanation for why I chose to seek a career in medicine, and to schedule an appointment with him to interview. I sent back everything he requested, and never received a reply. I emailed him after a few weeks of no word, and again after waiting some more time. I found out only a few weeks ago (after thinking he ghosted me) that his email changed and he didn't inform me. I found the new email and again sent a message explaining the situation, with all the documents he had requested. It's been 4 days and still, no email.

I'm worried because so far I have 4 letters, 1 coming from a doctor I did research for/shadowed his entire department (he is director), 1 from my PI, 1 from my advisor/physio professor, and 1 from my health council advisor. As you can see, I'm lacking another professor and it is really worrying me. Does anyone have any advice for me? My advisor suggested I email a professor from this semester and tell them the truth (how I got stood up by another prof and need a backup lol) and hopefully they would give me a "pity" letter since I earned a good grade in their course. This seems odd to me, but I really don't know what else I could do. Many schools I'm applying to don't necessarily care who wrote the letter, but a select few do require 2 science professors.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry for feeling stupid. What is this verification? Is this the "quality check" by interfolio?

No. By verification he is referring to the AMCAS primary verification where your grades and credit hours are verified using an official transcript before your application is submitted to individual schools.

Anything that has nothing to do with grades, such as MCAT scores and LOR's, doesn't interfere with verification.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry for feeling stupid. What is this verification? Is this the "quality check" by interfolio?
When you send your primary application through AMCAS, it goes through a verification process where they verify that all your information and courses are entered correctly using your college transcript(s). That can last up to one month.

Edit: also during the verification process they calculate your cumulative, BCPM, AO, semester and yearly GPAs using their own guidelines.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Also, if it's possible, you could try looking up his office hours and going to meet him in person?

Thank you all for your help! I will contact a new science professor (the one I emailed still hasn't replied to me). Also, does it look bad of me to not have letter come from a non-science professor?

Thank you all for your help! I will contact a new science professor (the one I emailed still hasn't replied to me). Also, does it look bad of me to not have letter come from a non-science professor?

A strong LOR is better than a lukewarm one.

A strong LOR is better than a lukewarm one.

definitely agree. I'm just concerned about schools who have strict guidelines on letter authors. My 4 letters I have so far are strong, and the additional science one I'm seeking is basically just to satisfy those requirements :bang: