Letters from Course Professors vs PIs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llud2500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided recently to apply to MSTP programs this cycle and I realized that although I will have 4 great letters of recommendation from labs that I've worked in and doctors that I have shadowed, I have not established any relationship with course professors. And I know that most MSTP programs require letters from 2 science course professors and 1 non-science professor. Now I am scrambling to make connections with my course professors. I was wondering how important letters from course professors are and whether really strong letters from PIs and doctors would balance out potentially less than stunning letters from course professors. My logic is that this is the case since MSTP cares more about talent and commitment in research than in coursework but I may be wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Course professor letters are useless... you got a grade for the course. Research PIs are critical. You are just fine.

It is however required that I have to have recommendations from course professors right? Like if I only submit letters from my PIs and doctors and don't submit any from my course professors, I'll immediately be disqualified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if it affected anything, but my pre-med advisor insisted upon a non-science faculty rec to round out my application. I emailed a Spanish prof and asked, since the classes were small and I suspected he'd remember me. I did well in his class, but didn't go above and beyond anything. He was super supportive though and happy to write it. Just food for thought if you want to make sure you have that box checked for schools that may want it. You don't need to be real close with a professor to get a letter. It wont be your strongest one for sure, but may be worth having in your arsenal.