Letters of Recommendation Concerns - will I be considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAboutSmiles7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application cycle is very close to beginning and I plan on applying in June but I'm starting to freak out about my letters of recommendation.

I've realized that each school typically requires at least one science professors and some even 2 or more with very specific requirements. I have letters of recommendations lined up from the dentist I shadow who was also a professor for UW's dental program, an English professor that I got to know well who I think could write something meaningful, and a psychology professor I took 2 classes with (part of my major, (included a neuropsychology lab and drugs and behavior class)). I've been told to just apply with what I have and hope that schools will consider other factors more. But I'm starting to worry that it won't be over looked.
My university had very large science classes (usually 200-700) and with my time spent studying and at work I never truly got to know any of them well and I graduated June 2015 so I'm not sure that any would remember me at all.
Will not having a "strict" science letter such as biology or chemistry totally kill my chances of getting in? Should I last minute try to find a science professor willing to write one and if so how should I go about this?

Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't say for certain, I think that applying without letters from science professors wouldn't be a great idea. Schools make letter requirements pretty clear on their websites. If you really wanted to know for sure, I would call each school's admissions office and ask.

What you can do is try emailing science professors whose classes you did well in, and explain your situation. Even if they don't know you, writing letters is a part of their job, so if they're really nice, they might do it you. It's up to you whether you would want a letter from a professor who can't speak to your accomplishments thoroughly, though.

Reactions: 1 user
While I can't say for certain, I think that applying without letters from science professors wouldn't be a great idea. Schools make letter requirements pretty clear on their websites. If you really wanted to know for sure, I would call each school's admissions office and ask.

What you can do is try emailing science professors whose classes you did well in, and explain your situation. Even if they don't know you, writing letters is a part of their job, so if they're really nice, they might do it you. It's up to you whether you would want a letter from a professor who can't speak to your accomplishments thoroughly, though.

That's what I'm worried about is having someone write me a letter who doesn't really know me. However, having that would be better than none I suppose? I have a professor in mind that I did well in (Cell and Molec Bio), although I'm not sure how willing she would be. Should I just email her today and explain my situation, maybe talk about the reasons why I think she'd be a valuable writer from my experience in her class, and apologize for the late notice, thanking her in advance for her time and consideration? Should I also attach my CV in an email like this or leave that for later if she says yes?
Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're applying for a seat in a school that is completely based in the natural sciences. Why wouldn't you want a science professor's letter? Tons of us went to huge universities and still managed to gather letters; dental schools won't give you any slack.

I agree with @Fets. If you have a smaller class that you did well in and the professor mayyyy be able to put a face to your name, email them. I was in a slightly similar situation where I was stretching for a second science professor LOR, and I just contacted a bunch of my past professors saying who I was, that I was applying to dental school, and what grade I got in their class. I also attached a resume, my personal statement, and an faq sort of thing that was basically everything I wanted in the letter. Make it as easy on them as possible and give them time o do it (i know it's a little nerve wracking, but better polite and a little late than rushed and a bad letter). I would do a little research on "good professors" that EEEVERYONE asks for a LOR. This might be an anomaly and a real d move, but I know an o chem professor in my school who wrote something along the lines of "I have never seen this student aside from asking for this letter"

I agree with @Fets. If you have a smaller class that you did well in and the professor mayyyy be able to put a face to your name, email them. I was in a slightly similar situation where I was stretching for a second science professor LOR, and I just contacted a bunch of my past professors saying who I was, that I was applying to dental school, and what grade I got in their class. I also attached a resume, my personal statement, and an faq sort of thing that was basically everything I wanted in the letter. Make it as easy on them as possible and give them time o do it (i know it's a little nerve wracking, but better polite and a little late than rushed and a bad letter). I would do a little research on "good professors" that EEEVERYONE asks for a LOR. This might be an anomaly and a real d move, but I know an o chem professor in my school who wrote something along the lines of "I have never seen this student aside from asking for this letter"

I never thought about sending something that states what I would want in the letter. Did they generally appreciate that? And how exactly did you go about doing that as far as what you said?
And that's awful! I'm not sure how to go about looking that up. But unfortunately some of the classes I've taken the professors just aren't willing to write letters for whatever reason whether it be that you didn't take their lab, didn't attend office hours enough, didn't get a good enough grade. What have you. So my options are extremely limited. I've started drafting an email to ask my Molec and Cell Bio professor (smaller class, should hopefully recognize me) and I think the only other option would be one of my biochem professors (however no interaction with them as there were 2 per quarter and it was a 700 person lecture). Definitely in a bit of a pickle here but hopefully something works out!
Thank you for your advice!

I went to a large university as well. My advice would be to arrange a meeting with the science professors you are considering. During this meeting, request that they write you an LOR and describe to them that you didn't feel comfortable making such a request without you having first told them a little bit about yourself and your story. I felt great about the letters I ended up getting.