Letters of Recommendation Confusion...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCraig

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is supposed to write your LORs?

I was under the impression that anyone could write you a letter of recommendation, but I've read on some websites that it needs to be a committee letter, science professor, non-science professor, etc.. Are there any requirements?

Would these work?

1. I was president for the Habitat for Humanity chapter at my university. Could I get my faculty adviser to write me a letter?

2. I was a teaching assistant for one of my science professors. Is it appropriate to ask her for a letter?

3. Could I get a physician that I've shadowed to write me a letter?

4. I have an unpaid internship at my local hospital's charitable foundation. I work closely with the director of the foundation. Could he write me a letter of recommendation?

I went to a med school application Q&A the other night, and now I'm beyond confused. They said they selected different people's letters of recommendation for different medical schools that they were applying to. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools vary in the number and type of letters requested.
You can find this information in the MSAR.
Following these instructions is quite important.
I do not recommend shadowing letters at MD programs (except the few that request "clinical" letters).
I do recommend a committee letter (instead if individual letters) if your school offers one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Most of them ask for 2 science professors and 1 non-science. You can add more letters from your PI and community service.

Also some schools offer committee letters and I think those overrule the 2 science and 1 non science! My school doesn't so I didn't look into it much

Almost all the courses I took during undergrad were science courses. I took non-science my first two years of college, which was 3-4 years ago. Unfortunately, I never got to know them very well. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools vary in the number and type of letters requested.
You can this information in the MSAR.
Following these instructions is quite important.
I do not recommend shadowing letters at MD programs (except the few that request "clinical" letters).

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look into MSAR.

I would make an appointment with a professor whose subject was something that interest you. Send them an email telling them what you're doing and how their course or something they said influenced you (dig deep in your memory) and tell them that you want to meet them to talk about your future and how they can help you (like, just an example, I took a class in history that focuses on native Americans and I want to work with underserved populations after med school, so I would show the professor that their class made me want to follow this path even more and that's why I volunteered with habitat for humanity or whatever) and a letter from you professor would strengthen my application in showing how much I want to work with underserved populations. (Show resume, personal statement, transcript and etc to make ur point)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Love that idea! This immediately made me think of my sociology professor. I don't think she remembers me though. Would it still be appropriate to contact her?