Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandalay Industries

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed most schools ask for 2 letters from science professors and I'm worried because I only have one letter from a "Core/Basic" science professor. However, I have another letter from a professor in my college and I was hoping schools would accept this as a science professor. I was in her exercise physiology class and worked in her lab. Will this work for schools who just said science and didn't specify "core" or "basic" science?

I went to a large state school and it's really hard to get letters from those core professors when the classes are huge. I feel like I really dropped the ball only getting one from a basic science professor. Any thoughts or advice ?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about your school, but at mine there is a pre-medical committee that writes letters and does advising to the pre-medical students. If you have one I would seek them out and see if they will be able to help you out. Also, a lot of D.O. schools want you to have a LOR from a D.O. that you've shadowed for a while. You could always contact the office of admissions at the schools you want to apply to and ask them specific questions about if they will accept what you have or not. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Any kind of physiology course I'm sure will count as science. Don't worry about 'core/basic,' just science.

Reactions: 1 user