This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent_C

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm currently stuck regarding who I should pick to be my letter of recommendation.
I'm applying to only Canadian Medschools (I live in Canada). Here are my options:

1. Research (did research for 3 years at a hospital and got 3 publications)
2. Science professor that I know very well and have a really good relationship with

3. I'm stuck with who to pick for this one. I worked on a board of a non-profit (volunteering) for 2 years and I know the president very well and have a really good relationship with him.

(OR)

I can choose another science professor who I also have a good relationship with.

I know for a fact, however, that the president of the non-profit organization would give me a better recommendation letter. I just don't know how reputable his position is to give me a recommendation letter, as I know the Admission councils generally prefer letters from those in a position of academia.

Would love for some advice as it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second science letter, hands down.

Even for Canadian Medschools? Why? Wouldnt a recommendation letter from a different field make more sense (research, academics, volunteer)?

Even for Canadian Medschools? Why? Wouldnt a recommendation letter from a different field make more sense (research, academics, volunteer)?
If they're anything like American schools they want two science letters and one "other" that can be non-science or research. Can't say for sure what you guys do up there tho.

If they're anything like American schools they want two science letters and one "other" that can be non-science or research. Can't say for sure what you guys do up there tho.

Ahh, okay. Well, Canadian medschools don't have any specific requirements. I just assumed that getting all 3 letters from academia won't really give me a well-rounded look as say, if I were to get 2 from academia and one from non-academic.

Reactions: 1 user