General Admissions & OTCAS Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnMac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying this coming fall and I am in a predicament about who I should ask for a letter of recommendation. I am a biology major with a psychology minor. I need 3 letters total and I will be getting one from an OT, 1 from a psychology professor and the the other I am unsure of.

1. I could ask an OT who I will be shadowing this summer, but I feel like that is pushing it if I want a letter of recommendation by September if I just officially meet them in June.

2. I could have the mother/father write with one of the children I work community habilitation with. I work for a legitimate company and I have been working with this family for about a year. I feel like I would get a really great letter of recommendation of out this family, because I work frequently with their child who suffers from autism and I am really close with their family. I've heard of people getting letters of recommendation from their employment before, but I just wanted to ask you what you guys think about this.

3. I could get ask my science advisor for a letter of recommendation. However, this professor is NOTORIOUS for submitting things late. For example, she submitted my friends letter of rec the day it was due despite her application being completed for weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am applying this coming fall and I am in a predicament about who I should ask for a letter of recommendation. I am a biology major with a psychology minor. I need 3 letters total and I will be getting one from an OT, 1 from a psychology professor and the the other I am unsure of.

1. I could ask an OT who I will be shadowing this summer, but I feel like that is pushing it if I want a letter of recommendation by September if I just officially meet them in June.

2. I could have the mother/father write with one of the children I work community habilitation with. I work for a legitimate company and I have been working with this family for about a year. I feel like I would get a really great letter of recommendation of out this family, because I work frequently with their child who suffers from autism and I am really close with their family. I've heard of people getting letters of recommendation from their employment before, but I just wanted to ask you what you guys think about this.

3. I could get ask my science advisor for a letter of recommendation. However, this professor is NOTORIOUS for submitting things late. For example, she submitted my friends letter of rec the day it was due despite her application being completed for weeks.
I definitely think option 2 is the best because it lets the schools hear from people who know you in different capacities. Just make sure you look at the requirements for each school you're applying to and see if they're specific on what types of people they want recommendations from. Also a tip for making sure people don't submit letters late is to tell them a deadline that's a month or so before the actual deadline!

2 Sounds the best. Schools usually want a well-rounded selection of LORs to see what type of person you are. They usually recommend letters from an OT, professor, and employer.

A majority of the schools I applied to wanted two from professors and at least one from an OT so you may want one more from a professor.