'Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine Earns Accreditation'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Liberty is a legitimate university but I do think that calling grads of the med school “pseudo physicians” is unfair seeing as it seems the religious biases of the parent institution are kept away and they appear stick to the same rules as the rest of the schools. Unless I’ve been misinformed about this program...

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not a fan of liberty. I don't think that a political entity masquerading as an academic institute should have a medical school. But it is what it is.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Politics and religion aside, their graduating students are physicians. The satisfied the step exams, fulfilled all the graduation requirements, and were accepted to residency programs. What is the difference if I went to another school, but hold a lot of the same views they do? Does that make me a horrible person or less of a physician? Will you refuse to work with me citing your prejudices?

Reactions: 6 users
Reactions: 25 users
Politics and religion aside, their graduating students are physicians. The satisfied the step exams, fulfilled all the graduation requirements, and were accepted to residency programs. What is the difference if I went to another school, but hold a lot of the same views they do? Does that make me a horrible person or less of a physician? Will you refuse to work with me citing your prejudices?
Maybe it's just me, but it says a lot about you when you're willing to, best case scenario, set aside all deplorable garbage of the institution for your own benefit. On the other end, it could suggest that you believe that stuff and so you're an idiot like them and we don't know when your religion will permeate into reality. In my book, I have no problem discriminating any physician graduating from a dubious institution. You made the choice to go there, so you live with the consequences of it

Reactions: 1 users
If they meet the same requirements as everyone else, good for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe it's just me, but it says a lot about you when you're willing to, best case scenario, set aside all deplorable garbage of the institution for your own benefit. On the other end, it could suggest that you believe that stuff and so you're an idiot like them and we don't know when your religion will permeate into reality. In my book, I have no problem discriminating any physician graduating from a dubious institution. You made the choice to go there, so you live with the consequences of it
At least your honest. I am not a medical student at Liberty for disclosure.

I’m not a fan of their parent institution, but their students are getting through an approved curriculum and passing their boards, so they’ll be real doctors. We can be critical of the school without being jerks to our colleagues.

They survived the crucibles of medical school-- if they secured residency positions they are your future colleagues.

I've always been a big fan of Liberty University and much of what it stands for, so this sounds like great news to me. Looking forward to applying to their DO program.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we stop pretending that the vast majority of higher education isn't run by the political left and that's a large reason why a lot of users on here can't stand Liberty? How dare a university have the audacity to be vocally religious and conservative? Sorry, but crapping on these newly minted physicians and students because you don't like the views of their parent institution is pathetic and uncalled for. If you don't like the school don't go there otherwise do everyone a favor and stop the politically charged garbage that gets spewed on this site.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we stop pretending that the vast majority of higher education isn't run by the political left and that's a large reason why a lot of users on here can't stand Liberty? How dare a university have the audacity to be vocally religious and conservative? Sorry, but crapping on these newly minted physicians and students because you don't like the views of their parent institution is pathetic and uncalled for. If you don't like the school don't go there otherwise do everyone a favor and stop the politically charged garbage that gets spewed on this site.
Oh nooooo, poor conservatives. Sad

Sounds like politically charged garbage.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using SDN mobile

Interesting how I never see these threads focusing on Loma Linda.... also it’s a good bet most of you have more than one classmate who is a BYU grad so I’m sure you say the same things to them too

I would be happy with being at a school that isn't a left wing ****-show, but Liberty is not that. Liberty is putting religion over science when they say that flood happened and that man didn't evolve. Playing the "omg, i'm oppressed righty!" card doesn't work in a world of facts.

Interesting how I never see these threads focusing on Loma Linda.... also it’s a good bet most of you have more than one classmate who is a BYU grad so I’m sure you say the same things to them too
Any evidence at all that denial of evolution and outright lying about the facts of science goes on the classrooms of LLU or BYU? Because if they do, I'll gladly say the same thing of their graduates.

I’m not a fan of their parent institution, but their students are getting through an approved curriculum and passing their boards, so they’ll be real doctors. We can be critical of the school without being jerks to our colleagues.
You can also get a regionally accredited biology degree from there that denies facts about science. It doesn't make them above criticism.

I would be happy with being at a school that isn't a left wing ****-show, but Liberty is not that. Liberty is putting religion over science when they say that flood happened and that man didn't evolve. Playing the "omg, i'm oppressed righty!" card doesn't work in a world of facts.

Any evidence at all that denial of evolution and outright lying about the facts of science goes on the classrooms of LLU or BYU? Because if they do, I'll gladly say the same thing of their graduates.

You can also get a regionally accredited biology degree from there that denies facts about science. It doesn't make them above criticism.

Who cares whether or not evolution happened/happens. I sure as hell don't, and whether or not it exists will not change your life in any way shape or form. This is such a stupid thing to hate people over... like seriously. Grow up. Most research and science is trash anyways.

Who cares whether or not evolution happened/happens. I sure as hell don't, and whether or not it exists will not change your life in any way shape or form. This is such a stupid thing to hate people over... like seriously. Grow up. Most research and science is trash anyways.
I happen to think that rationally examining information, as well as understanding the process by which it is discovered, is an important trait in a physician. But hey, that's just me.

I happen to think that rationally examining information, as well as understanding the process by which it is discovered, is an important trait in a physician. But hey, that's just me.

Sure and I agree. Pinning a whole group of people as lesser than yourself because they believe something different that you (in light of evidence contrary to their opinion) is not setting one up to be a great physician IMO. And lets be honest, peoples views of evolution is not going to effect how they practice in ANY way (except for probably on the abortion topic if the are OBs), and most graduates from DO schools will never do a lick of research and will just practice based on the CPGs spoon fed to them like the rest of your average joe physicians.

This is hilarious. DOs hating on LUCOM grads is no different than MDs hating on DOs cause of the quackery that is OMM, I guess some people just hate for the sake of hating

Reactions: 3 users
Sure and I agree. Pinning a whole group of people as lesser than yourself because they believe something different that you (in light of evidence contrary to their opinion) is not setting one up to be a great physician IMO. And lets be honest, peoples views of evolution is not going to effect how they practice in ANY way (except for probably on the abortion topic if the are OBs), and most graduates from DO schools will never do a lick of research and will just practice based on the CPGs spoon fed to them like the rest of your average joe physicians.
Regardless of your personal feelings, critical thinking and understanding how knowledge is acquired is important. Medicine is not static- it is ever changing, and it is crucial for doctors to critically evaluate evolve their practices as new information comes to light. This is a foundation of modern medicine.

Regardless of your personal feelings, critical thinking and understanding how knowledge is acquired is important. Medicine is not static- it is ever changing, and it is crucial for doctors to critically evaluate evolve their practices as new information comes to light. This is a foundation of modern medicine.

what does that have to do with whether or not one believes in evolution.

Or a hundred BYU students. I for one have learned a TON from the BYUers at my school, and they're the ones I prefer hanging out with more than most. They work hard and place strong emphasis on family. I try to work hard, and my family is #1. And no amount of venom from some of the more progressive students at my school/on SDN is going to keep me from chilling with the Mormons.

Reactions: 9 users

Somehow Linda Loma never seems to get this crap.... maybe it's because it was founded by a genuine church and not the guy who mobilized his religion for profit and to condemn millions of suffers of AIDS to further pain and suffering by rallying the nation to believe "aids was a punishment from a just god".

Reactions: 9 users

Like I said in the above. I don't hate LU because it is Christian or Conservative. There are plenty of morally upright Christians who are also conservative who would have utterly no qualms about defending others who they don't agree with and providing significant charity to them, ex homosexuals, drug users, etc. There are many faith based or inspired schools and hospitals who would never turn away those who suffer and provide significant charity.

And then there are individuals whose main course of action is largely to 'declare war on them', demonize, and to do everything in their power to see them stripped of rights, health, and life. Jerry Falwell is this group and Liberty University still embodies his form of political religion.

I simply cannot forgive his institution until it apologizes and makes reparations for the harm it contributed to.

Anyways, I would like to remind us all that this thread is about standards of osteopathic education. Not religion, conservative politics, or anything beyond the former.

Lets keep things focused.

Like I said in the above. I don't hate LU because it is Christian or Conservative. There are plenty of morally upright Christians who are also conservative who would have utterly no qualms about defending others who they don't agree with and providing significant charity to them, ex homosexuals, drug users, etc. There are many faith based or inspired schools and hospitals who would never turn away those who suffer and provide significant charity.

And then there are individuals whose main course of action is largely to 'declare war on them', demonize, and to do everything in their power to see them stripped of rights, health, and life. Jerry Falwell is this group and Liberty University still embodies his form of political religion.

I simply cannot forgive his institution until it apologizes and makes reparations for the harm it contributed to.

I agree, but to call the students who graduate from the medical school as "pseudo-physicians" is simply *****ic.

I understand your point to a degree. What do you purpose as “reparations?”

tenor.gif

Or a hundred BYU students. I for one have learned a TON from the BYUers at my school, and they're the ones I prefer hanging out with more than most. They work hard and place strong emphasis on family. I try to work hard, and my family is #1. And no amount of venom from some of the more progressive students at my school/on SDN is going to keep me from chilling with the Mormons.

#MormonsRCool

It's not about evolution. It's about being able to accept reality in face of the evidence. Denial of evolution is even worse than being a flat earther. At least a flat earther is just an idiot. A person that denies evolution is doing so simply based on religion. I don't know if these people are the same type that will refuse to give care to a patient that they deem "immoral" because of their religious interpretations. If anyone has to grow up, it's the people that can't accept reality because of some book they were told over and over again as a child must be the only valid reality

Feel free to stop practicing medicine or using your computer if you believe most science is trash

It's not about evolution. It's about being able to accept reality in face of the evidence. Denial of evolution is even worse than being a flat earther. At least a flat earther is just an idiot. A person that denies evolution is doing so simply based on religion. I don't know if these people are the same type that will refuse to give care to a patient that they deem "immoral" because of their religious interpretations. If anyone has to grow up, it's the people that can't accept reality because of some book they were told over and over again as a child must be the only valid reality

Feel free to stop practicing medicine or using your computer if you believe most science is trash

lol. Judges a whole group of students as inferior based on the school they attend... and then accuses those students of potentially seeing patients as inferior based on unfounded claims haha. Nice. Might wanna look in the mirror and evaluate how you are consciously/subconsciously biasing yourself against others before you accuse a whole school of people you have never met of doing so. Also, the debate on evolution is as inconsequential as the debate of whether pineapple should be on pizza. Nobody should care.. but people do and its annoying because it wont change our life either way. Also, the OMM we are taught in school is just as unfounded by research as somebody denying evolution. So I already know you see yourself and classmates as inferior to MDs because you attend an institution who proclaims false information as "gospel" correct? Are you worried your classmates will be unable to interpret future research and the scientific method because they can't accept reality because of some professors telling them over and over again as students that it must be the only valid reality? Thought so. Get over yourself.

And my research published in numerous top journals such as JAMA journals and the like points out the pitfalls many of the most consequential trials in certain specialties and demonstrates how research in these fields is poorly conducted or insignificant. So I feel pretty comfortable stating a large proportion of research in medicine is poor.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know if these people are the same type that will refuse to give care to a patient that they deem "immoral" because of their religious interpretations.

Lol get over yourself. I might not agree with homosexuality for religious reasons but that doesn’t mean that I can’t treat those patients with respect and be a good physician to them. By this same argument I could easily say that people who come from super liberal schools are pseudo-physicians because I don’t know if they would refuse to give care to a pro-lifer because of their political beliefs. Do you realize how dumb it sounds?

If anyone has to grow up, it's the people that can't accept reality because of some book they were told over and over again as a child must be the only valid reality

The only person that needs to grow up is the one that has just put thousands of people into the same tiny box based on nothing but pre-conceived notions, and subsequently diminished the accomplishment of dozens of medical students simply because of a disdain over their religion.

And for the record, 7th Day Adventists believe in the creation and are not evolutionists. Ben Carson has openly stated his beliefs, didn’t seem to affect his ability to become one of the most respected neurosurgeons in history.

Most medical research is complete garbage. That fact is indisputable.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol get over yourself. I might not agree with homosexuality for religious reasons but that doesn’t mean that I can’t treat those patients with respect and be a good physician to them. By this same argument I could easily say that people who come from super liberal schools are pseudo-physicians because I don’t know if they would refuse to give care to a pro-lifer because of their political beliefs. Do you realize how dumb it sounds?
I know it’s irritating to have someone pick at a single portion of your post, but I think it points to your broader thought process. Why do you think it appropriate to draw a parallel between disagreeing with someone’s sexual orientation and disagreeing with a political stance?

Are there any instances of prominence or at all of physicians refusing care to pro-lifers?

Evolution of species or evolution as origin of man? How about origin of matter or life?

I know it’s irritating to have someone pick at a single portion of your post, but I think it points to your broader thought process. Why do you think it appropriate to draw a parallel between disagreeing with someone’s sexual orientation and disagreeing with a political stance?

Are there any instances of prominence or at all of physicians refusing care to pro-lifers?
There are instances of people calling for prolife providers to not have a license if they won’t violate their beliefs

The only person that needs to grow up is the one that has just put thousands of people into the same tiny box based on nothing but pre-conceived notions, and subsequently diminished the accomplishment of dozens of medical students simply because of a disdain over their religion.

And for the record, 7th Day Adventists believe in the creation and are not evolutionists. Ben Carson has openly stated his beliefs, didn’t seem to affect his ability to become one of the most respected neurosurgeons in history.

Most medical research is complete garbage. That fact is indisputable.
There aren't "thousands" of liberty university physicians LOL, but yeah, if you don't want that reputation, then don't go to a place that gives you that reputation. It's that simple. Don't go crying when there are consequences

Does LLU teach that as fact in their science curriculum? That is the distinction.

You might be okay with treating gays or performing abortions or giving plan B, but you can't pretend there haven't been numerous instances of healthcare practitioners putting their religion first.

I'm sorry. I guess I'll just believe an old book written by half illiterate peasants because some medical research isn't too good :rolleyes:

lol. Judges a whole group of students as inferior based on the school they attend... and then accuses those students of potentially seeing patients as inferior based on unfounded claims haha. Nice. Might wanna look in the mirror and evaluate how you are consciously/subconsciously biasing yourself against others before you accuse a whole school of people you have never met of doing so. Also, the debate on evolution is as inconsequential as the debate of whether pineapple should be on pizza. Nobody should care.. but people do and its annoying because it wont change our life either way. Also, the OMM we are taught in school is just as unfounded by research as somebody denying evolution. So I already know you see yourself and classmates as inferior to MDs because you attend an institution who proclaims false information as "gospel" correct? Are you worried your classmates will be unable to interpret future research and the scientific method because they can't accept reality because of some professors telling them over and over again as students that it must be the only valid reality? Thought so. Get over yourself.

And my research published in numerous top journals such as JAMA journals and the like points out the pitfalls many of the most consequential trials in certain specialties and demonstrates how research in these fields is poorly conducted or insignificant. So I feel pretty comfortable stating a large proportion of research in medicine is poor.
I didn't say you were an inferior person, but you are questionable if your choices were to go to Liberty. If I was a program director or an employer, I have no reason to take a chance with a Liberty graduate.

OMM is not evolution. That's just plain nonsense. There's a difference between questionable treatment modality and denying facts. The better comparison is to say there is no evidence of god (OMM has some at least) and still believing in god and acknowledge the reality of evolution. I have no problem with religious doctors, but I do have a problem with those that deny reality.

Last edited:
Yeah I refuse to have anything to do with liberty BUT you can't seriously put every grad from there in the same box. That's absurd. The rest of this thread, or rather all of it, is garbage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Sure, LUCOM doesn't teach its undergraduate students about evolution, but my undergraduate institution (like hundreds of other left-wing indoctrination camps across America) taught me that biology plays no role in male-female behavioral differences and that there are no consequential genetic differences between human subpopulations -- notions that directly contradict the scientific consensus in genetics, neuroscience, psychology, evolutionary biology, etc.

Can we stop pretending that left-wing universities are all bastions of ideology-free scientific knowledge? I'm sick of the double standard.

Sure, LUCOM doesn't teach its undergraduate students about evolution, but my undergraduate institution (like hundreds of other left-wing indoctrination camps across America) taught me that biology plays no role in male-female behavioral differences and that there are no consequential genetic differences between human subpopulations -- notions that directly contradict the scientific consensus in genetics, neuroscience, psychology, evolutionary biology, etc.

Can we stop pretending that left-wing universities are all bastions of ideology-free scientific knowledge? I'm sick of the double standard.
Whoa. My University definitely never stated that nonsense. Not in the biology department at least. Anytime someone speaks in absolutes they are bound to be wrong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

You can claim whatever about your undergrad on an anonymous forum but it still sounds like hyperbolic, talking point BS.

Actually, that sounds like a very fitting description for your criticisms of LUCOM.
Aside from saying I don’t think it’s legitimate as a broader institution while defending its med school grads, I haven’t criticized LU ITT and certainly not hyperbolically.

Status
Not open for further replies.