Other OT-Related Information License & expunged misdemeanor case

One-way

Jan 11, 2016
  1. Occupational Therapy Student
    I want to apply to become a occupational therapy assistant. But I am worried about the background check the state does when I apply for a license.
    Some background about me:
    I was a honors student (took engineering, computers, health, related courses) who graduated high school at age 16 and started college right away and my GPA has always been above a 3.6.

The problem:
    I was don't know why I did it but I knew it was wrong, I was caught shoplifting and was misdemeanor case. I hired a lawyer and I attended Cognitive Behavior Intervention Program and paid the fees that the store asked me to pay. My case was dismissed and expunged.

I deeply regret it and I know what I did was wrong and I was depressed about it for a whole year and I couldn't get over the regret.

Will the expunged and dismissed case prevent me from getting a license? Is it better for me to admit it when asked about it? And how should I explain it to them?

BeAnOTsoon!?

Apr 25, 2015
    1. Pre-Occupational Therapy
      I know felonies can pose a problem, but a misdemeanor shouldn't impact your ability to get licensed at all, especially if it was expunged! I don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt you will be asked about it, but if you are I'd just be honest. I think everyone will understand, especially if you explain how you've grown since then.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.